Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs sitting at #22 in latest ESPN Power Rankings

Started by razobak, December 18, 2017, 08:35:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razobak

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21798319/college-basketball-power-rankings-big-12-showing-strength

Quote22. Arkansas Razorbacks
Record: 8-2
Last week: 24

Suddenly, that nine-point win over Oklahoma on a neutral court looks a bit more impressive. The Razorbacks held Trae Young to his lowest assist output of the season, and he shot 8-for-18 from the floor. The 26-point loss to Houston still looks strange.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Dark Helmet Hog

rzrbackramsfan

RedyorNot

Don't get how that OK team we beat is that many spots ahead of us just because of the WState game

ricehog43

U of A Alum 2011.

popcornhog

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 18, 2017, 08:56:12 am
Don't get how that OK team we beat is that many spots ahead of us just because of the WState game

Because rankings are based on entire body of work. This early in the season it's also a bit of projection/expectation.

Without the Houston loss we'd likely be ahead of OU. The Houston loss will matter less as the season goes on though. Especially if we keep winning.
WPS

Roy Bacon

I thought WSU was overrated this year from the beginning . Top 5 ? no way .
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

Fan701

Had we taken care of business @Houston we'd be a top 15 team.  We'll have to do some work to get people to forget that.  I still have a hard time understanding it.  Houston is pretty good, but still....

TNhawgfan

ESPN says the "26 point loss to Houston looks strange," it's probably keeping us from being top 20, yet people on jumpball wondered why some of us were upset about it
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hogwop

Quote from: Fan701 on December 18, 2017, 09:46:25 am
Had we taken care of business @Houston we'd be a top 15 team.  We'll have to do some work to get people to forget that.  I still have a hard time understanding it.  Houston is pretty good, but still....
I don't see why people have a "hard time understanding" that loss. It's basketball, losses like that happen to good teams all the time. The best team Mizzou ever had lost a game to the Hogs by almost 60 points.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

daprospecta

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 18, 2017, 09:56:31 am
ESPN says the "26 point loss to Houston looks strange," it's probably keeping us from being top 20, yet people on jumpball wondered why some of us were upset about it
Upset is not the same as immediately saying Mike can't get it done and Arkansas basketball is still down. 

jjdlc

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 18, 2017, 09:56:31 am

Nah, people didn't wonder why some were upset about it, they wondered why some were ready to declare the season a bust, fire the entire staff, demolish Bud Walton and burn the program to the ground over it.  There are some around here that love to overreact to any loss.

opineonswine

niels_boar

The Hogs are #17 in the Massey Composite Computer poll.  I like the composite because no algorithm is perfect and each has imperfect assumptions.  A poll of polls filters out some of the variances.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Interestingly Arkansas is not lower than #31 in any poll.  And that's why you don't overreact to any one loss in isolation, especially on the road and after ample evidence that the team has performed well against good competition.  The last three NCs have had multiple double-digit losses, a couple by 20+.  Duke's last 35-win NC lost by 26 at home to an NIT Miami team. Not many teams, even dominant ones, get through the season without the odd game or three where they stink up the joint.  There are matchups out there that can exploit any team on a given night.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Fan701

Quote from: niels_boar on December 18, 2017, 11:12:03 am
The Hogs are #17 in the Massey Composite Computer poll.  I like the composite because no algorithm is perfect and each has imperfect assumptions.  A poll of polls filters out some of the variances.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Interestingly Arkansas is not lower than #31 in any poll.  And that's why you don't overreact to any one loss in isolation, especially on the road and after ample evidence that the team has performed well against good competition.  The last three NCs have had multiple double-digit losses, a couple by 20+.  Duke's last 35-win NC lost by 26 at home to an NIT Miami team. Not many teams, even dominant ones, get through the season without the odd game or three where they stink up the joint.  There are matchups out there that can exploit any team on a given night.
I clicked on the link, and it has us #15.  Am I reading something wrong?

FraggleHog

Quote from: Fan701 on December 18, 2017, 12:09:19 pm
I clicked on the link, and it has us #15.  Am I reading something wrong?

It appears as though the ranking updates as the various polls are released.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

GuvHog

Quote from: jjdlc on December 18, 2017, 10:14:32 am
Nah, people didn't wonder why some were upset about it, they wondered why some were ready to declare the season a bust, fire the entire staff, demolish Bud Walton and burn the program to the ground over it.  There are some around here that love to overreact to any loss.

I didn't overreact to that loss. The team just made the mistake of taking Houston lightly and believed they could simply outscore the Cougars without playing much defense. Mike Anderson stated as much. He quite obviously got their attention because since that loss, the Hogs defense has really kicked in to high gear.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

niels_boar

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 18, 2017, 12:19:32 pm
It appears as though the ranking updates as the various polls are released.

Yeah, it updated since I posted.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Wisco Pig

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jjdlc on December 18, 2017, 10:14:32 am
Lol, well I didn't say anything even remotely close to that, but I was upset that we didn't even show up for another non-conference road game. Wasn't demanding Mike's head on a pike or any such nonsense
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

razorback1829

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy