Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do the Hogs have any players on full scholarship

Started by hogsanity, December 09, 2014, 12:31:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I know those are pretty rare in college baseball, but with the quality of players they have gotten the last couple of years especially I was wondering if they might have done that to get someone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoofer

I would seriously doubt it but guys like McKinney and Bonfield would be possibilities. Typically they give more to get them on campus. It's rarely a deal where they earn more once they get there based on play. Just too many mouths to feed and it's all about getting kids on campus.

hogsanity

Thanks guys. I knew if it was happening at all it would be 1, 2 at the most.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

arthurhawgerelli

Generally, the starting pitchers and solid relief guys are on a full ride.  The rest is divvied up and like has been said, academic scholarships etc.

Horsesrus

Kids from bordering states can get close to resident tuition if they qualify academically as well.  That would also help with the cost.

Prestn

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on December 10, 2014, 12:47:48 pm
Generally, the starting pitchers and solid relief guys are on a full ride.  The rest is divvied up and like has been said, academic scholarships etc.

I don't think any baseball player is on a full ride.  Well I know one starting pitcher that is not and never has been.  I have heard of players getting around 80% and thats the top of the line.  So the academic and other scholarships easily cover the rest but its not an athletic full ride.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Prestn on December 12, 2014, 01:25:22 pm
I don't think any baseball player is on a full ride.  Well I know one starting pitcher that is not and never has been.  I have heard of players getting around 80% and thats the top of the line.  So the academic and other scholarships easily cover the rest but its not an athletic full ride.

I should have said that the starting pitchers are on as close to a full ride as they can along with the lottery scholarship, with exceptions, especially when the player's family has expressed that they can help.

You are pretty correct that nobody is completely on a full ride, usually.

chiefsfan

Traditionally speaking, the bigger the school, the less likely they give a full scholarship.

That being said, there's always the one guy on every roster that a coach might just do it for.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

I know someone that ended up being drafted with the 22nd pick in the first round out of high school, and no college offered him 100%.

flippinhogmana

Full ride?  I think the rules are that you (the entire program) can give an equivalent of nine full ride athletic scholarships (don't quote me on that because that's simply from memory from a good while back if I got it right in the first place).  What ever the limit, you can give partial scholarship, which is how it is done. 

That is not to say that most of the baseball players aren't on the equivalent of full rides.  There are Pell Grants, and other grant programs, there are other private scholarships.  There may even be private scholarships that they bring with them from their communities (as I did many years ago).  I don't think very many of our twenty seven (or thirty five for that matter) are actually paying money out of their pocket to come here and play baseball.

If memory serves, most of the players get a third to a half athletic scholarship and the rest made up of academic or private scholarships and grants.

I think uca, arkansas and some of the rest are much better authorities on the specifics.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

toxichog

11.5 Scholarships for the whole team in college baseball......Most college teams have NOBODY on a full ride......usually from 25% to 75% .....average is about a third.......

Occasionally when a high school player is a "high" draft choice (usually a pitcher)....a coach will offer the FULL Scholarship in hopes the kid will come.....if he signs you get him for three years....usually worth it, and if in year one he isn't that good you can cut his scholarship to whatever after one year......all scholarships are re-negotiated after every year.....usually DOWN because the kid can't transfer unless to a Junior College......it's the ugly side of College Baseball......but it's not the coaches fault........blame Title Nine...........only the NCAA could come up with a number like 11.5......

ricepig

Quote from: toxichog on January 07, 2015, 07:50:05 pm
11.5 Scholarships for the whole team in college baseball......Most college teams have NOBODY on a full ride......usually from 25% to 75% .....average is about a third.......

Occasionally when a high school player is a "high" draft choice (usually a pitcher)....a coach will offer the FULL Scholarship in hopes the kid will come.....if he signs you get him for three years....usually worth it, and if in year one he isn't that good you can cut his scholarship to whatever after one year......all scholarships are re-negotiated after every year.....usually DOWN because the kid can't transfer unless to a Junior College......it's the ugly side of College Baseball......but it's not the coaches fault........blame Title Nine...........only the NCAA could come up with a number like 11.5......

Wait....wait...wait...don't be throwing around garbage like that, it's a lot bigger number for scholarships, it's 11.7......

lowandaway

Quote from: toxichog on January 07, 2015, 07:50:05 pm

Not to split hairs, but it's 11.7 scholarships per team.

lowandaway

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2015, 07:53:46 pm
Wait....wait...wait...don't be throwing around garbage like that, it's a lot bigger number for scholarships, it's 11.7......

Ah, you beat me to the punch, Ricepig