Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

new sec networks hurts baseball fans

Started by Kevin, August 15, 2014, 08:30:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

we complained a lot about razorvision, but i will miss it next spring when instead of being able to watch all of the home games.

it is going to be reduced to the few that the sec network (including the  app) decides to show.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

I was under the belief that all SEC home baseball games were either going to be on the SEC Network or the SEC Network App or ESPN3.  At least we will be able to see those home games in HD now.

jacobp

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 15, 2014, 08:52:51 am
I was under the belief that all SEC home baseball games were either going to be on the SEC Network or the SEC Network App or ESPN3.  At least we will be able to see those home games in HD now.
this is what I thought as well.

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 15, 2014, 08:52:51 am

it says they are covering 75 baseball games, not sure how we get all the home games.

but, i could be wrong.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on August 15, 2014, 08:58:36 am
it says they are covering 75 baseball games, not sure how we get all the home games.

but, i could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure the 75 baseball games will be the ones put on the actual SEC Network.  The SEC Network and the online portion will cover over 1,000 live sporting events in the first year.  I'm pretty sure that all of the home baseball games for SEC teams will be on either the SEC Network, SEC Network App, and ESPN3.

Now, for those 5-10 away games per year where we aren't at a SEC venue, I'm not sure what our options will be there.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 15, 2014, 09:12:33 am
I'm pretty sure the 75 baseball games will be the ones put on the actual SEC Network.  The SEC Network and the online portion will cover over 1,000 live sporting events in the first year.  I'm pretty sure that all of the home baseball games for SEC teams will be on either the SEC Network, SEC Network App, and ESPN3.

Now, for those 5-10 away games per year where we aren't at a SEC venue, I'm not sure what our options will be there.

I can live with missing 5-10 away games compared to what it has been historically

Kevin

is espn3 & watchespn app not the same thing?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on August 15, 2014, 09:20:11 am
is espn3 & watchespn app not the same thing?
It is.  ESPN3 is the online platform while WatchESPN is the app for Apple and Android mobile devices.

Kevin

my understanding of all platforms
tv:
espn
espnu
espn2
sec network

through the watch espn app:
sec network
sec network +
Espn3

is this correct?

TuckFexas

Are blackouts still going to apply for ESPN3 with this new deal?
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on August 15, 2014, 09:24:59 am
my understanding of all platforms
tv:
espn
espnu
espn2
sec network

through the watch espn app:
sec network
sec network +
Espn3

is this correct?
As far as I understand that is correct.  I'm still figuring this whole SEC Network thing out.  I do expect TV payouts from the SEC Network and other TV deals to be in the range of 40-50M or more.

ucahogfan

Quote from: TuckFexas on August 15, 2014, 09:49:37 am
No earthly idea.

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 15, 2014, 09:54:29 am
No earthly idea.

i would not think so, but i have been wrong on this whole thing so far.

hawgcraZ

The response on wanting Razorvision upgrades recently was they new this was coming and that all home games will be available.  We never had access to those non SEC road games.  I'm pumped about what this means for the quality of watching our games.  Also more will be nationally televised which is always a plus.

Baseball Hog

Let me know if this is an issue for you.  5 min permanent solution.

As I understand it, all games will be available in some capacity.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 15, 2014, 09:54:15 am
As far as I understand that is correct.  I'm still figuring this whole SEC Network thing out.  I do expect TV payouts from the SEC Network and other TV deals to be in the range of 40-50M or more.

More like 35-40M, let's see what the "costs" are for ESPN and the league office before we count on an additional $20M.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 15, 2014, 09:12:33 am

This is what I thought.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Don't bring those nasty comments in here, you know better than that. ;)

jry04

I was under the impression we will still have Razorvision, but it will be a free service. Is that not correct?

Big Nasty 34

Kevin

No video is allowed to be stream by the schools.

Prestn

Quote from: jry04 on August 15, 2014, 11:13:34 pm
I was under the impression we will still have Razorvision, but it will be a free service. Is that not correct?

Yes the audio is free now with the Razorvision app and online.

ucahogfan

With all of the home games being streamed on ESPN3, it is even more important to find a great replacement for Chuck.  I suspect that the normal radio guys will be the only ones calling the games that aren't televised because it would require a huge commitment by ESPN to cover all of the sites with regular announcers.

Chuck was one of the best, if not the best, baseball PBP guy in college.  Arkansas has another elite baseball PBP guy in-state right now with Phil Elson.  He might not leave his duties with the Travs to come to call Arkansas Baseball, but Long and IMG Sports need to make a serious run at him.

jbcarol

The SEC Network will definitely utilize local talent to fill their programming requirements.  Starting to see congrats messages from fans of other schools on newbies getting their shot calling SEC games for the home school.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Kevin

Getting the feeling Alex Perlman call the baseball games

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on August 17, 2014, 09:24:31 am
Getting the feeling Alex Perlman call the baseball games
Same here.  Perlman didn't do a bad job, but he isn't near Chuck's level.  As long as they don't let Rick call an entire game, I'll be alright with Chuck's replacement.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: jbcarol on August 17, 2014, 07:39:25 am
The SEC Network will definitely utilize local talent to fill their programming requirements.  Starting to see congrats messages from fans of other schools on newbies getting their shot calling SEC games for the home school.
Does this mean there will be 2 new full time regulars calling the games? 1 for the SEC Network and 1 that fills Chucks old spot?

popcornhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 16, 2014, 07:38:52 pm
With all of the home games being streamed on ESPN3, it is even more important to find a great replacement for Chuck.  I suspect that the normal radio guys will be the only ones calling the games that aren't televised because it would require a huge commitment by ESPN to cover all of the sites with regular announcers.

Chuck was one of the best, if not the best, baseball PBP guy in college.  Arkansas has another elite baseball PBP guy in-state right now with Phil Elson.  He might not leave his duties with the Travs to come to call Arkansas Baseball, but Long and IMG Sports need to make a serious run at him.

Where is Chuck going? Baseball is his strength -- I hate to hear this.
WPS

jacobp

Quote from: popcornhog on August 26, 2014, 11:45:09 pm
Where is Chuck going? Baseball is his strength -- I hate to hear this.
Giving up baseball and doing football/basketball only.

Birminghog

At least we're going to get audio on all of the games. It was frustrating to try to find consistent audio that wasn't interrupted by local Little League action.

ClearEyes

All of the home games will either be on SEC Network TV or SEC Network Plus, which is the online version.  In the past these same games were on Razorvision, but you had to buy a subscription.  Now if your TV provider has a deal with the SEC Network, and all of them do, then you get access to the online programming for Arkansas and all other SEC schools for free. All audio is free via the new app.  The radio/audio replacement for Chuck will most likely be Phil Elson from what I have been told.  Perlman will do the all of the games on the SEC Network and video so there will be two separate feeds, one for radio and one for television/streaming.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: ClearEyes on August 31, 2014, 07:46:18 am
All of the home games will either be on SEC Network TV or SEC Network Plus, which is the online version.

Is that true for all SEC home games, meaning that we'll be able to watch the hogs when they travel to other SEC schools.  If so then the only games that won't be televised are early traveling games to non-SEC opponents.

-phil

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ClearEyes on August 31, 2014, 07:46:18 am
All of the home games will either be on SEC Network TV or SEC Network Plus, which is the online version.  In the past these same games were on Razorvision, but you had to buy a subscription.  Now if your TV provider has a deal with the SEC Network, and all of them do, then you get access to the online programming for Arkansas and all other SEC schools for free. All audio is free via the new app.
This is good news. Going to be a fun season. College (SEC) Baseball on the rise.

maxre567

This is good news for those who have TV providers who currently are carriers of the SEC Network, but maybe not so good of news for those who are with cable companies that have not made the deal to get it, or individuals who are cord cutters.  I mean, I did see last I checked, that most of the major cable companies like Comcast, U-Verse, Verizon, Time Warner, DISH, DirecTV, and I believe CenturyLink also carries it, but there are of course some smaller cable companies that probably haven't gotten on board yet with it.

The one good thing about Razorvision was that if you were an internet-only customer of any provider, aka a cableTV-cutter, you could simply buy it without going through a provider.  Bad thing about the SEC Network is I believe you cannot be an internet-only subscriber, you have to have the cable TV hooked up in order to get it, including SECNetwork online and SEC plus.

Now me personally, I got AT&T U-Verse access with the SECN so I'd say it's a fair trade for me.  I only signed up for Razorvision 1 year for baseball, but the warbled audio, 100 kbps video quality, and constant buffer issue from what seemed to be stone age routers and servers running in Baum Stadium, made it frustrating as hell to watch on.  Even if it only was like $13 a month, I decided not to get it the following year and just stuck to the online radio feeds since the sound quality was better and they were free.  It's good to finally have a platform that all games can be watched on through a real actual HD video feed.

I do wish I knew of a way to slingbox the WatchESPN access I have though so those who don't have it had a way to stream it to their Roku boxes or whatever else they use.

Knot2brite

What kills me is that I can't get the watch espn app to work where I live because windstream doesn't support it....so are we going to be able to listen to the games on tunein radio?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Knot2brite on September 29, 2014, 07:30:51 pm
What kills me is that I can't get the watch espn app to work where I live because windstream doesn't support it....so are we going to be able to listen to the games on tunein radio?
Surely, can't image not being able to.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Knot2brite on September 29, 2014, 07:30:51 pm

Where do you live?  I have Windstream in Sugarland, TX, one of the few places in the whole state with Windstream.  WatchESPN works just fine for me at home, at work (AT&T network), my parent's place in Fayetteville (U-Verse) and everywhere else I've ever tried.

-phil

Knot2brite

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 06, 2014, 01:02:21 pm
Texarkana arkansas

If you have WatchESPN on  a mobile device, like a tablet or phone, perhaps you could try going to a friend's house (who doesn't have Windstream) or public wifi and test Windstram on that network.  I'd be surprised if Windstream was the problem, but you never know.

Do they have Windstream on the TX side of town as well?  I always found it humorous that I had to move from Fayetteville to Texas to get an Arkansas phone company.

-phil

Knot2brite

I contacted windstream last year about the watchespn app and why I couldn't get it to work and windstream said they stopped supporting it six months before I called.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 06, 2014, 10:23:24 pm
I contacted windstream last year about the watchespn app and why I couldn't get it to work and windstream said they stopped supporting it six months before I called.

Ok, I got it now.  Sorry if I'm a bit slow.  So you don't have a television provider that gives you ESPN3 access.  That's what you'd need to get the Hog games.  You are correct, Windstream no longer "subscribes" to ESPN3, you have to log in to WatchESPN with your TV provider credentials then you could view ESPN3/WatchESPN/SECN with a Windstream data connection.

-phil

Knot2brite

I am hoping that since direct tv is associated with the sec channel that some how some way I can get the app to work...not sure of how I can get that associated

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 07, 2014, 01:26:25 pm
I am hoping that since direct tv is associated with the sec channel that some how some way I can get the app to work...not sure of how I can get that associated
Do you subscribe to DirecTV?  If so then you should be able to use WatchESPN and ESPN3.com.  You just need to login with your DirecTV credentials.

-phil

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on October 08, 2014, 08:33:45 am
Do you subscribe to DirecTV?  If so then you should be able to use WatchESPN and ESPN3.com.  You just need to login with your DirecTV credentials.

-phil

Unless it's recently changed, Directv and WatchESPN have not came to an agreement.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 08, 2014, 09:20:43 am
Unless it's recently changed, Directv and WatchESPN have not came to an agreement.
You are correct.  Learn something new every day.  According to this website: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/affList DirecTV is not a WatchESPN affiliate.

Sounds like some DirecTV subscribers need to threaten to move to Dish unless they get WatchESPN access.

Knot2brite, looks like you might be out of luck.

-phil

ArKan5a5 KiD

How do i use the WatchESPN app through Dish? I have Dish but never knew i could get the WatchESPN?

arthurhawgerelli

I have Centurylink, and it does not support it.  My son's Xbox does.  ESPN3 is unbelievably crystal clear through Xbox, also.

rhog1

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on October 09, 2014, 02:50:38 pm
How do i use the WatchESPN app through Dish? I have Dish but never knew i could get the WatchESPN?
Go to the app or website on your PC or smart device and choose dish as your provider, then just sign in with your dish account.

maxre567

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on October 08, 2014, 10:05:02 am
You are correct.  Learn something new every day.  According to this website: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/affList DirecTV is not a WatchESPN affiliate.

Sounds like some DirecTV subscribers need to threaten to move to Dish unless they get WatchESPN access.

Knot2brite, looks like you might be out of luck.

-phil

Seems like the only reason DirecTV is around these days is purely for Sunday Ticket.  If not for that it would've probably merged or been long gone by now.  I think the reason DISH is now on the WatchESPN thing is because they are now an ISP in addition to being a TV provider, whereas DirecTV is still exclusively a TV provider.  That probably has something to do with it.

dotnet

Quote from: maxre567 on October 22, 2014, 04:39:02 pm
Seems like the only reason DirecTV is around these days is purely for Sunday Ticket.  If not for that it would've probably merged or been long gone by now.

Their market share is just under 20%.  Not bad in a market with basically 6 major players.