Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas baseball in the pro's - 2014

Started by dotnet, June 10, 2014, 09:19:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

Quote from: bulldog04 on August 17, 2014, 03:52:04 pm
So are Reynolds and McCann the only hogs that have a chance to be called up in September?  McCann's power numbers have saw a jolt the last 10 games

They are the most likely, but plenty are candidates.  Konerko or Dunn go down and Wilkins gets called up, he's hitting around .300 and has 28 homeruns on the year. Been on an absolute tear!  Zack Cox is hitting around .300 in AAA as well, so the Marlins might call him.  Jess Todd has hardly been lights out this year, but he is rocking a 3.3 era in AAA, so you never know when the DBacks could use an extra reliever.

bulldog04

Quote from: yraciv on August 17, 2014, 04:06:41 pm
They are the most likely, but plenty are candidates.  Konerko or Dunn go down and Wilkins gets called up, he's hitting around .300 and has 28 homeruns on the year. Been on an absolute tear!  Zack Cox is hitting around .300 in AAA as well, so the Marlins might call him.  Jess Todd has hardly been lights out this year, but he is rocking a 3.3 era in AAA, so you never know when the DBacks could use an extra reliever.
I forgot about Wilkins

OnTheHillHogFan

Keith Law came out with his own list of best tools list for the MLB and he said Keuchel had the 2nd best movement on his FB.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Smyly looks to be fitting in well with the Rays and threw a 2 hitter last night against the Blue Jays that Joe Maddon referred to as artistic.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340822114

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 23, 2014, 09:19:28 am
Smyly looks to be fitting in well with the Rays and threw a 2 hitter last night against the Blue Jays that Joe Maddon referred to as artistic.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340822114
With the success our pitchers are having in the majors recently, that has got to help getting our pitchers drafted.  I mean they don't need a lot of help but they  might go a few rounds earlier than they normally would.  Jorn took two guys (Keuchel and Smyly) that weren't drafted out of HS, and turned them into good MLB pitchers.

ucahogfan

Matt Reynolds will be participating in the prestigious Arizona Fall League for the Mets Organization.  He will be the only former Hog that I saw on the list (still some names to be added), but I saw three former signees on the list as well in Justin O'Conner, Greg Bird, and Brandon Nimmo.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-afl-rosters/

PorcineSublime

So what happened to Eibner that he dropped from AAA to A+?
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 26, 2014, 05:28:18 pm
Matt Reynolds will be participating in the prestigious Arizona Fall League for the Mets Organization.  He will be the only former Hog that I saw on the list (still some names to be added), but I saw three former signees on the list as well in Justin O'Conner, Greg Bird, and Brandon Nimmo.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-afl-rosters/

He seems just about ready to get his shot.  My guess is they're trying to verify what they have in him during the AFL so they'll know how aggressive they need/want to be when trying to find offense this winter.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: PorcineSublime on August 27, 2014, 05:34:55 am
He just don't have the bat. He's got the power but from what I've seen he hasn't shown the consistency to hit off speed pitches. He strikes out was too much. He's a career .220 hitter in pro ball with about 500 k's in roughly 1500 at bats.

He's got every other tool and is a great talent but I just don't ever see him hitting for average.

yraciv

Quote from: PorcineSublime on August 27, 2014, 05:34:55 am

It's a rehab assignment. He has been out for 2 months with an abdominal injury.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on August 27, 2014, 08:30:49 am
He seems just about ready to get his shot.  My guess is they're trying to verify what they have in him during the AFL so they'll know how aggressive they need/want to be when trying to find offense this winter.
He sure does seem ready.  I saw something about how the Mets probably weren't going to call him up in September because he isn't required to go on the 40 man roster just yet.  He struggled a little in 2013, but has rebounded in a big way in 2014 hitting somewhere around .347 this year in between AA/AAA and has even seen his power tick up since moving up to Vegas.

Yeah, I think you're right.  They are going to gauge and see what type of hitter he is this fall in Arizona.  He could potentially open up 2015 on the big league team with a solid fall and spring.  He is definitely in the Mets plans though IMO because teams don't send prospects to the AFL unless they have big plans for them.

dotnet

They sometimes do.  Teams send prospects to the AFL to decide if they want to leave them rule 5 eligible or not.  And if you're having to debate putting someone on your 40 man... then he probably isn't someone you have "big" plans for.

With the way things work now, I wouldn't be shocked if he started 2015 in AAA to gain an extra year of service time.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on August 27, 2014, 02:55:33 pm
They sometimes do.  Teams send prospects to the AFL to decide if they want to leave them rule 5 eligible or not.  And if you're having to debate putting someone on your 40 man... then he probably isn't someone you have "big" plans for.

With the way things work now, I wouldn't be shocked if he started 2015 in AAA to gain an extra year of service time.
Well, I guess I should have said that teams send most of the prospects they have big plans for to the AFL.  I think most of the big names in the pros spent at least one fall in Arizona.  I'm pretty sure Trout and Harper were on the same team out there in 2010.

I think the Mets believe they can be competitive in 2015 when Harvey comes back and Syndergaard gets called up so Reynolds could be in their plans.  The Mets need a SS and Reynolds could fill that role.  I expect him to start out the year in AAA because like you said, the Mets want the service time, but I also expect him to be in New York at some point in 2015.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: yraciv on August 27, 2014, 12:46:30 pm
It's a rehab assignment. He has been out for 2 months with an abdominal injury.
Gracias.

Hope Matt Reynolds does get a chance. Perhaps he will be the second successful NYM who had Reynolds in their last name from the U of A. Kevin Mc had a pretty decent career.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

ucahogfan

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 31, 2014, 01:03:24 pm
Sanburn is headed to the White Sox farm system as the As trade him for Adam Dunn and cash.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/11443399/adam-dunn-traded-oakland-athletics-chicago-white-sox

With Dunn out, I expect Wilkins will be called up in September.

ucahogfan

Good article about Matt Reynolds and his improvement from 2013 to 2014:

http://metsminorleagueblog.com/analysis/matt-reynolds-could-impact-the-mets-as-a-utility-player/

With the new indoor facility, it would be a good recruiting tool to have former players like Reynolds and McCann be frequent visitors as it provides them a place to train that is second to none.

I think it seems like most of the former Hogs and even some signees like Brandon Nimmo spend their offseasons training in Fayetteville.

dotnet

Baxendale ended his season last night.  He started the decisive game for Fort Myers and they beat the Daytona Cubs in extras.  Baxendale obviously didn't get the win, but he did pitch 5 and 2/3 without giving up an earned run - though 2 unearned. 

Not too bad since he was facing Daytona who may have 3 top 100 hitters in their lineup.  A nice way to end an otherwise dissapointing year. 

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: yraciv on August 31, 2014, 01:13:04 pm
With Dunn out, I expect Wilkins will be called up in September.

Paul Konerko is retiring after this season.  Chicago White Sox home page.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

yraciv

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on September 10, 2014, 08:20:52 am
Paul Konerko is retiring after this season.  Chicago White Sox home page.

I hope he can find his stick at the major league level.  There is definitely a hole for him with the White Sox, but he has got to start showing something.  He is off to a Cody Clark like start in his first 19 pro at bats.

yraciv

And McCann is now 0/5 in his young major league career.  These guys got to start hitting if they want to secure their spots for next year.

ucahogfan

Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB     ·   4h   

Good luck to former Razorback James McCann starting tonight for the @tigers and catching @JustinVerlander. #WPS

After his playing days in the bigs are over, I hope he tries to join our staff.  He just seems like he would be a great college coach.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 19, 2014, 07:44:51 pm
Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB     ·   4h   

Good luck to former Razorback James McCann starting tonight for the @tigers and catching @JustinVerlander. #WPS

After his playing days in the bigs are over, I hope he tries to join our staff.  He just seems like he would be a great college coach.
2 for 5 with a SB and 2 runs.

flippinhogmana

looks like eight former razorbacks in the show now: Cliff Lee, Dallas Keuchel, Drew Smyly (something about those arkansas left handers), Logan Forsythe, Andy Wilkins, James McCann, Mike Bolsinger, and Craig Gentry.  Did I miss anyone?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

4Lions04

Is Blake Parker up right now? He bounces up and down so much I never know if he is or not.

ucahogfan

A quick Arizona Fall League update:

Matt Reynolds, Justin O'Conner, and Brandon Nimmo will be participating in the Fall Stars Game:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/afl-2015-fall-stars-game-rosters/

Good article about Greg Bird having a great fall as well:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/afl-action-yankees-bird-flying-high/

ucahogfan

Greg Bird, Justin O'Conner, and Brandon Nimmo all put their tools on display at the AFL Fall Star Game.  As bad as our offense has been, it is crazy to think that we stood a chance to get Bird and Nimmo to campus.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/premium-tools-highlight-afl-fall-stars-game/

yraciv

dotnet

Bird really hurts.  With today's rules, he would have made it to campus.  Even back then there were very few teams that were going to give that kind of money to a fifth rounder.  He just happened to get drafted by the Yankees.

ucahogfan

Hasn't been reported yet, but this happened a while back:

Milwaukee Brewers @Brewers     ·   Sep 10   

RHP Kevin Shackelford and RHP Barrett Astin have been sent to Cincinnati to complete the 8/31 trade for RHP Jonathan Broxton.

Pretty sure I saw that Astin had an excellent year and was working in the low to mid 90s while not walking anyone ala Aaron Nola.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on November 04, 2014, 08:18:44 am
Bird really hurts.  With today's rules, he would have made it to campus.  Even back then there were very few teams that were going to give that kind of money to a fifth rounder.  He just happened to get drafted by the Yankees.
We would have gotten like more than half of the guys that signed under the new rules.

In 2010, we would have gotten Ray (another one that hurts big time, imagine him with Stanek), Lakind, and Ben Wells.  Would have lost O'Conner as he signed near slot.

In 2011, we would have probably gotten Nimmo with his 3M price tag, Howard, and Bird.  Would have lost Fulmer as he signed near slot.

Just imagine those 6 guys on the 2012 team that went to Omaha and the 2013 team that started #1 in the country.

ucahogfan

MiLB.com ‏@MiLB  · 16m16 minutes ago 
The @Yankees' Greg Bird and the @Mariners' @PatrickKivlehan were honored before today's @MLBazFallLeague title game: http://atmilb.com/1x6DOpd

Pinstripe Alley ‏@pinstripealley  · 16m16 minutes ago 
Your @MLBazFallLeague MVP: GREG. BIRD. #BirdIsTheWord

MLB Pipeline ‏@MLBPipeline  · 41m41 minutes ago 
AFL MVPs
'14 Greg Bird @Yankees
'13 Kris Bryant @Cubs
'12 Chris McGuiness @Rangers
'11 Nolan Arenado @Rockies
'10 Dustin Ackley @Mariners

Kevin Gausman ‏@KevinGausman  · 32m32 minutes ago 
Congrats to my dude Greg Bird on being the AFL MVP!! Always been fun watching him hit! Couldn't happen to a better person!! #GrandviewHS

Bird caught the highly recruited Gasuman in HS in Colorado.  It was just our luck that LSU was able to get the stud Gausman while Bird signed for huge bucks in the draft.

Steve Berthiaume ‏@BertDbacks  · 2h2 hours ago 
This year's @MLBazFallLeague MVP is #Yankees Greg Bird. Hit .313, 6 HR, 21 RBI in 26 G, 99 AB. @Yankees

PintailKiller

Arizona Diamondbacks ‏@Dbacks  21m21 minutes ago
Wishing all the best to Mike Bolsinger (LAD) & Chaparral High's Charles Brewer (CLE) who were traded for cash considerations.

Bolsinger had been outrighted earlier this week by the DBacks.
I am happy to see him go to the Dodgers.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

yraciv

White Sox picked up Adam Laroche.  Makes it tougher for Wilkins to start the season in Chicago next year.