Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Goldwire leaving for Rocky Top

Started by psycHOGlogist, April 25, 2019, 11:34:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Announced today that Lacey is joining Kellie Harper's staff in Knoxville. Will be a loss in terms of recruiting relationships. Lacey is really very well-liked by the people she helps recruit.

Have confidence that CMN will bring in someone very good, though.

CandleStick

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 25, 2019, 11:34:03 am
Announced today that Lacey is joining Kellie Harper's staff in Knoxville. Will be a loss in terms of recruiting relationships. Lacey is really very well-liked by the people she helps recruit.

Have confidence that CMN will bring in someone very good, though.

I had heard there was rumblings of this not too long ago. This is a huge loss for the Lady Backs. Coach Goldwire was an amazing recruiter and even bette person. I'm sad to see her go.

nwahogfan1

Why did she leave?   Money?  Closer to home?  Faster rise to a HC job?

cypress rock

Coach MN has great contacts. I know he hates to see her leave but I bet he replaces with an equal or better.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 25, 2019, 11:49:50 am
Why did she leave?   Money?  Closer to home?  Faster rise to a HC job?
I do not know the reason.  She definitely will not be closer to home.  As I previously reported that she spoke at the last coaches luncheon.  From that talk I know that her primary job was recruiting & communicating with- new recruits, signed recruits and also existing players.  That meant she was on the road about as much as anyone could be.  That can become tiring.  Maybe this opportunity will give her more actual coaching opportunities.  Good luck to her - she will be missed.

MP24

Neighbors said Tennessee was Goldwire's dream job and we did everything we could to keep her. Arkansas matched the offer.
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

logic

Quote from: cypress rock on April 25, 2019, 01:46:29 pm
Coach MN has great contacts. I know he hates to see her leave but I bet he replaces with an equal or better.
Christy Smith may be an option.  Whether or not Christy Smith would want the position and return to Arkansas or if Coach Neighbors would consider her for the position, I don't know.  However, the University of the Incarnate Word announced that women's basketball coach Christy Smith's contract will not be renewed for the 2019-2020 season.  https://thenext25.com/2019/03/uiws-christy-smith-relived-of-coaching-duties-after-three-seasons/

psycHOGlogist

I suppose Christy is a possibility, but we are looking for a recruiting coordinator-type coach. Christy, having been a HC (albeit unsuccessful), would be looking for a more senior assistant position. A possible landing spot for her MIGHT be back at Purdue (where she was before coming back to Fayetteville), where there is an Assistant Coach vacancy under her old coach. Just idle speculation.

I expect CMN to hire a younger, up-and-coming type person with an outgoing, relatable-to-high-schoolers personality -- much like Coach Goldwire -- who is up for the grind of being the point person on recruiting. If you want to consider possible candidates among former Razorbacks, this is essentially the role that Amy Wright is playing at TAMU right now. I am not sure she'd leave Blair's staff to come back to the Hill, though, and she's probably looking for a move up the coaching ladder rather than a lateral one (if she's even looking for anything, that is).

I anticipate a young coach or someone with a lot of AAU connections.

logic

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 26, 2019, 09:32:56 am
I suppose Christy is a possibility, but we are looking for a recruiting coordinator-type coach. Christy, having been a HC (albeit unsuccessful), would be looking for a more senior assistant position. A possible landing spot for her MIGHT be back at Purdue (where she was before coming back to Fayetteville), where there is an Assistant Coach vacancy under her old coach. Just idle speculation.

I expect CMN to hire a younger, up-and-coming type person with an outgoing, relatable-to-high-schoolers personality -- much like Coach Goldwire -- who is up for the grind of being the point person on recruiting. If you want to consider possible candidates among former Razorbacks, this is essentially the role that Amy Wright is playing at TAMU right now. I am not sure she'd leave Blair's staff to come back to the Hill, though, and she's probably looking for a move up the coaching ladder rather than a lateral one (if she's even looking for anything, that is).

Lacey's position can't be too Junior since per https://m.arktimes.com/media/pdf/uaf_pay.pdf  at $217,000 Lacey Goldwire was the second highest paid assistant ladies basketball coach and just a little less than Todd Schaefer at $230,000 and well above Pauline Love at $164,200.  As I recall, Christy recruited Jailyn Mason so she did recruit. Nevertheless, Christy is about a dozen years or more older than Lacey so perhaps that is a factor plus I really don't know or understand the different duties of assistants coaches anyway.

psycHOGlogist

Thanks for that info re: salary! I wonder -- pure speculation -- if having the title of "recruiting coordinator" automatically comes with higher pay. I don't think there is THAT much experience difference between Love and Goldwire, and Schaefer has more experience by a good bit than either of them. Interesting.

But that also increases the likelihood that we have the funds available to make a very good hire. Appreciate the info!

LadybackBBFan

I agree - person will be a young female who  is very relatable to players and recruits.  I doubt if it will be an alumni.

samhog49

I'm with you PSY.  I think it's definitely an up and comer.  A lot of chatter I've heard with TX ties and specifically the BIG 12.  We should like the potential name if it's who I've heard.