Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Bama) Recruiting question for those more versed than I.

Started by SkeeterHawg, March 19, 2017, 10:18:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SkeeterHawg

I was looking at Alabama's recruiting commit page on 247.  They are currently ranked ahead of us with 2 4* and 2 3* commitments.  No problems with that ranking, but they had Akial Byers as a 2018 commitment.  The question: How is a 2017 HS graduate non-qualifier a 2018 recruit?  Doesn't he have to graduate from MGCCC before he can move to a 4-year college? Is he on the AL standard 30 hr per semester 1 year graduation plan?

Vantage 8 dude

The answer to such issues is always "special Alabama eligibility provisions and exceptions".

ricepig

No one knows, except of course Bama, and they ain't telling how he'll be eligible.....I'm sure he's taking the maximum hours this summer and fall, being the scholarly type that he is.

GoHogzzGo

Huh, didn't notice that. Great question, no clue here now I'm curious too.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on March 19, 2017, 10:18:23 pm
I was looking at Alabama's recruiting commit page on 247.  They are currently ranked ahead of us with 2 4* and 2 3* commitments.  No problems with that ranking, but they had Akial Byers as a 2018 commitment.  The question: How is a 2017 HS graduate non-qualifier a 2018 recruit?  Doesn't he have to graduate from MGCCC before he can move to a 4-year college? Is he on the AL standard 30 hr per semester 1 year graduation plan?

It is my understanding that if a kid is a non-qualifier but they can get into JC then they must attain an Associate's Degree (normally 2 years, minimum of 3 semesters) before he is eligible to go to an NCAA school. Now can that degree be achieved in less time than 2 years? I suppose it can but you can bet that the NCAA will be crawling all over his transcript (or maybe not knowing the NCAA).

There is currently another interesting scenario unfolding with a 2016 Alabama signee, Kendall Jones (otherwise known as "The Hulk"), 6-5, 360 out of Killeen, TX. He didn't get his grades either and apparently he didn't attend JC in 2016 (at least on scholarship).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fHu5lUjjKY

He is now enrolled (as of January 2017) in Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi and still intends to honor his commitment to Alabama and according to him, they have indicated that they still want him and have told him to lose some weight. Now did he take classes during that summer and fall (of 2016) that he laid out that will count towards his hours for an Associate's Degree and does that mean that technically, if he completes an Associates by the end of the fall 2017 semester that he could transfer to Alabama? Maybe.

Here's the nitty gritty.

What to do as a Non-Qualifier

Generally, a non-qualifier is a student athlete who is attempting to transfer before completing their general education/associates degree. In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and have never been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete, practice, and receive an athletic scholarship in your first year are:

Attend the two-year college full-time for at least three semesters or four quarters;

Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000;

Graduate from the two-year college; and

Have at least 48 transferable credit hours at a semester school or 72 transferable credit hours at a quarter school, including six or eight of English and three semester hours or four quarter hours of math.

Only 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours may be earned during summer terms. And only 9 semester hours or 13.5 quarter hours may be earned the summer immediately prior to a transfer to a Division I school. The same midyear transfer rules for baseball and basketball and physical education credits rule for men's basketball apply to non-qualifiers as well.

*The semester and quarter hours should be calculated by someone in an athletic department to academic adviser role. If you are a non-qualifier, take the information above to an academic advisor and plan out what you need to do in order to become an academic .

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/junior-college-transfer-2-4.htm
Go Hogs Go!

RaisinHog

They could just have him listed .. because technically I guess he could get his darn together and qualify in the next month or so .. but it's unlikely

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 20, 2017, 12:13:19 pm
They could just have him listed .. because technically I guess he could get his darn together and qualify in the next month or so .. but it's unlikely

I think that ship has sailed. But according to the rules above, as a non qualifier for 2017, he has to attend a minimum of 3 semesters at a JC and have the hours to earn an Associates degree. So technically, if the goal is to reach 48 hours of better than 2.0 with all of the English and Math requirements, I guess he could take 18 hours this summer, 15 hours in the fall and 15 hours in the spring of 2018 to reach 48 hours with the 1st semester of the 2018 summer session as a safety valve in case he had a few classes he needed to finish to graduate. But that is assuming that they can get him in some JC as soon as June of this year. Do they count a summer session as a full "Semester" these days? I don't know.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2017, 12:30:11 pm
I think that ship has sailed. But according to the rules above, as a non qualifier for 2017, he has to attend a minimum of 3 semesters at a JC and have the hours to earn an Associates degree. So technically, if the goal is to reach 48 hours of better than 2.0 with all of the English and Math requirements, I guess he could take 18 hours this summer, 15 hours in the fall and 15 hours in the spring of 2018 to reach 48 hours with the 1st semester of the 2018 summer session as a safety valve in case he had a few classes he needed to finish to graduate. But that is assuming that they can get him in some JC as soon as June of this year. Do they count a summer session as a full "Semester" these days? I don't know.
Technically, if he just needs a qualifying ACT score, he could obtain it before January. This may be a Bama grey shirt, or whatever. Without knowing the details, we're all just spit ballin......

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2017, 12:48:44 pm
Technically, if he just needs a qualifying ACT score, he could obtain it before January. This may be a Bama grey shirt, or whatever. Without knowing the details, we're all just spit ballin......

I sure don't know everything about this but I thought that once a kid was a non-qualifier that he had to abide by those rules.

So if you are ruled a non qualifier in June, do you have until the first day of January of the following year (or the last day of the same year) to pass the ACT?

I don't know, that's why I am asking. Just going by what I found above which of course, isn't necessarily all-inclusive.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2017, 01:14:59 pm
I sure don't know everything about this but I thought that once a kid was a non-qualifier that he had to abide by those rules.

So if you are ruled a non qualifier in June, do you have until the first day of January of the following year (or the last day of the same year) to pass the ACT?

I don't know, that's why I am asking. Just going by what I found above which of course, isn't necessarily all-inclusive.

I don't know either, it may cut off after the results of the June ACT score is known. I know we waited until late June/July on the OT from BD a few years ago.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2017, 01:20:41 pm
I don't know either, it may cut off after the results of the June ACT score is known. I know we waited until late June/July on the OT from BD a few years ago.

Maybe the rules have changed (and I am sure they can vary) but I remember that they pronounced Arkansas signee Robert Thomas as being a Non-Qualifier after he took his last ACT in May/June of his Senior year and he had to attend JC for four semesters and graduate to be able to transfer to Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The real Hogules

Nick Saban didn't fly into NWA and make at trip to FHS to visit with a player that he knows is of no use to him for 1 1/2, 2 years (JUCO) at the earliest.
In two years time the next 2 batches of 5 stars will have came along and that person's spot will have been filled by another recruit.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 20, 2017, 02:30:14 pm
Nick Saban didn't fly into NWA and make at trip to FHS to visit with a player that he knows is of no use to him for 1 1/2, 2 years (JUCO) at the earliest.
In two years time the next 2 batches of 5 stars will have came along and that person's spot will have been filled by another recruit.

There is a slim possibility that he could have an Associates Degree and 48 credit hours that cover all of the required English and Math courses in a little over a year from now so that would take care of those basic requirements for transfer. The other requirement is to have at least 3 semesters at a JC. Do they count Summer School sessions as full Semesters?

Does he think so much of Byers ability as to help facilitate this? Maybe, I don't know. But if he thinks that much of Byers, look out for the same thing to happen With Kendall Jones of Kileen, TX who is reportedly already enrolled at Copiah-Lincoln CC in Miss.
Go Hogs Go!

Pudgepork

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2017, 01:27:29 pm
Maybe the rules have changed (and I am sure they can vary) but I remember that they pronounced Arkansas signee Robert Thomas as being a Non-Qualifier after he took his last ACT in May/June of his Senior year and he had to attend JC for four semesters and graduate to be able to transfer to Arkansas.

Bama don't need no stinking rules!

NoogaHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 23, 2017, 10:34:21 am
Zombie horse JUST. WON'T. DIE.

Yes. Let's just move on. I was hoping to see more Ascolese or Kapita threads.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"