Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 09:53:40 am

Wow

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 15, 2018, 10:44:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Svrdhd

Hall of Fame coaches, lottery picks and top programs....sounds like we're safe.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Ironhawg

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 16, 2018, 10:04:34 am
He was cheating long before he got to tenessee man. just google it...

Not the least bit surprising.  The guy is a first-class slime.

raz1965

The NCAA could stand some oversight for sure.

sickboy

Maybe it's me, but this new age we're living in with the internet and social networking sure has shone a bright light on how corrupt every facet of life is. It's insane to me how many stories I hear these days of people being dishonest and greedy. Doesn't matter if you're talking about the White House... or the Waffle House... seems we're surrounded by greedy nitwits.

Breems

Quote from: Svrdhd on February 16, 2018, 11:59:18 am
Hall of Fame coaches, lottery picks and top programs....sounds like we're safe.

Heh
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Fan701

The Washington Post says:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/15/three-dozen-top-ncaa-basketball-programs-reportedly-could-turn-up-in-fbis-investigation/?utm_term=.ba4a812a989a
If half of the top sixteen seeds in the tournament are going to have to vacate their appearances, as the WAPO says, college BB is in trouble. 

Paul

Quote from: Fan701 on February 16, 2018, 01:05:26 pm
The Washington Post says:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/15/three-dozen-top-ncaa-basketball-programs-reportedly-could-turn-up-in-fbis-investigation/?utm_term=.ba4a812a989a
If half of the top sixteen seeds in the tournament are going to have to vacate their appearances, as the WAPO says, college BB is in trouble.
we're out of danger then

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on February 16, 2018, 11:37:50 am

However, what could happen is that the FBI indicts and the NCAA steps in tries to show its own power by hammering programs.

Thats too funny.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on February 16, 2018, 12:24:17 pm
Maybe it's me, but this new age we're living in with the internet and social networking sure has shone a bright light on how corrupt every facet of life is. It's insane to me how many stories I hear these days of people being dishonest and greedy. Doesn't matter if you're talking about the White House... or the Waffle House... seems we're surrounded by greedy nitwits.

25 years ago I was just starting my job as a cable tv installer/tech. You would not have believed then the stuff we were offered to hook people up for free, "forget" to do a disconnect for non-pay, "accidentally" forget to block the pay channels. Was offered drugs, girlfriends, wives, an illegally poached deer, and those are just the memorable ones.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabber71

Quote from: sickboy on February 16, 2018, 12:24:17 pm

You had me until the end, When I order a All-Star Special I know what I am getting, (3 plates from heaven itself), and when I look over the counter to the grill I know exactly who is responsible for my pecan waffle, scattered & smothered hashbrowns, bacon, 2 eggs over medium and grits.
The world needs as much transparency as my favorit Waffle House provides 24 hours a day 7 days a week!
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

rljjr

Can we get a better seed now?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jabber71 on February 16, 2018, 01:41:37 pm
You had me until the end, When I order a All-Star Special I know what I am getting, (3 plates from heaven itself), and when I look over the counter to the grill I know exactly who is responsible for my pecan waffle, scattered & smothered hashbrowns, bacon, 2 eggs over medium and grits.
The world needs as much transparency as my favorit Waffle House provides 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

Yep. More transparency please.

https://nypost.com/2016/01/13/waffle-house-fires-workers-for-styling-hair-in-kitchen/
Hogs up! Covid down!

razobak

Pete Thamel (author of OP's linked article) went on Finebaum and said that he would be "stunned if Bruce Pearl is the Auburn coach next year".

Tell us something we don't already know.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/pete-thamel-tells-paul-finebaum-stunned-bruce-pearl-survives-coach-auburn-next-season/
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

hogsanity

Quote from: razobak on February 16, 2018, 04:18:56 pm
Pete Thamel (author of OP's linked article) went on Finebaum and said that he would be "stunned if Bruce Pearl is the Auburn coach next year".

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/pete-thamel-tells-paul-finebaum-stunned-bruce-pearl-survives-coach-auburn-next-season/

Yea, really going out on a limb with that one.

CallMeAl

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2018, 09:37:55 am
If people really want to see college bball cleaned up then they better hope that the FBI basically eradicates AAU ball and all those associated with it. They should also hope the NBA does away with the sham one and done set up they have. Either let players come in right out of HS, or do not let them in until after their hs class has been out for 3 years ( like the nfl ).  those two things would be massively good starts.

If you are waiting for the NCAA to do anything, well I hope you are not holding your breath while you wait. 

^ What he say.
Hog since birth.

ShadowHawg

HOF coaches I could see involved.

Lute Olsen, Coach K, Dean Smith, Billy Donavan, Cal, Calhoun, Boeheim

Others: Sean Miller, Tom Crean, Kelvin Sampson, both Drew brothers, Frank Martin, Avery Johnson, Pearl, Rick Stansbury, Billy Kennedy, Ben Howland, Cuonzo Martin (Stokes), Pastner,

Feel free to add to the list

ballinhog

With me being one of the ones that is down on Mike Anderson at times, I have a feeling we all may be super stoked he's our coach when all the smoke clears from this mess. At least we know he's doing it the right way. Takes some heat at times (like losing Perry) but he remains true. I think that counts for a lot.

Maybe we have a better coach and recruiter than people like me thought

hawgdavis

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 16, 2018, 09:16:58 am
The feds are very thorough. They will get their man. The NCAA? Not so much.

This isn't the NCAA this is a law enforcement agency. There is someone there that is looking to make a name for themselves. Unlike with the NCAA I think heads will roll.

Dr. Starcs

I could be wrong, but always felt like Avery Johnson was a stand up guy.

Now the school he coaches for.....

And who was the Duke player Coach K bribed? Allegedly. Can't stand that team.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 16, 2018, 09:11:29 am
Guys, we all saw what the NCAA did to "blue-blood" North Carolina for skirting academics for 2 decades, ABSOLUTEY NOTHING!!!

Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and other "blue-blood" schools will come out of this with a light slap on the wrist. Too many schools involved to hammer them, ESPN might lose money on TV games and we all know that AIN'T  happening!

Man. I can tell you DID NOT read the article.

At all.

Skippy, the NCAA ain't the one investigating.

Try FBI.

In fact, the NCAA is concerned about what the FBI is NOT telling them.

Of course, you'd have to read the article to know all that.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: jabber71 on February 16, 2018, 01:41:37 pm
The grits put me over the edge, officially need some waffle house now!

jabber71

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 16, 2018, 02:03:05 pm
Yep. More transparency please.

https://nypost.com/2016/01/13/waffle-house-fires-workers-for-styling-hair-in-kitchen/

Yeah your momma never washed her hair in the kitchen sink, and everything that went on in your kitchen is squeaky clean.
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

razorback1829

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2018, 07:02:49 pm
I could be wrong, but always felt like Avery Johnson was a stand up guy.

Now the school he coaches for.....

And who was the Duke player Coach K bribed? Allegedly. Can't stand that team.

Nah...  AJ is in the muck as well.

TNarch

So much talk like the NCAA will act as usual and give the big boys a little slap on the wrist.  This is not an NCAA investigation.  This time it is criminal by the FBI involving millions.  If it is as bad as they say, some will be sacrificed many will be tarnished beyond repair.  Not many schools or fans will be quick to accept coaches taking kick backs from shoe companies and running programs with that kind of corruption.  It sounds so much worse that slipping some money or a few perks under the table.  I hope they drop the hammer.  College sports needs a wake-up call to clean up their act.

RedBird5

Quote from: jabber71 on February 16, 2018, 08:52:08 pm
Yeah your momma never washed her hair in the kitchen sink, and everything that went on in your kitchen is squeaky clean.

He obviously never enjoyed the culinary mastery of Casa Taco

HogBreath

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 16, 2018, 05:47:24 pm
HOF coaches I could see involved.

Lute Olsen, Coach K, Dean Smith, Billy Donavan, Cal, Calhoun, Boeheim

Others: Sean Miller, Tom Crean, Kelvin Sampson, both Drew brothers, Frank Martin, Avery Johnson, Pearl, Rick Stansbury, Billy Kennedy, Ben Howland, Cuonzo Martin (Stokes), Pastner,

Feel free to add to the list
Dean Smith?   He's been deceased for 3-4 years and hasn't coached in over 20 years.  They may give him a pass I bet.

Lute Olsen's been retired for about 10 or so years, think he was in poor health when he stepped down.

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogBreath on February 16, 2018, 09:34:01 pm
Dean Smith?   He's been deceased for 3-4 years and hasn't coached in over 20 years.  They may give him a pass I bet.

Lute Olsen's been retired for about 10 or so years, think he was in poor health when he stepped down.

The type of cheating going on right now blew up in the mid 90's. A lot of those folks are still "in the game". Not saying the retired guys are in danger of indictments but wouldn't be surprised to hear their names mentioned as having had ties to these seedy types.

mhuff

While we're discussing the possibility of the FBI possibly on 50 schools. Someone explain to me with the information gathered by the FBI why this might also spill into football infractions as well.

sowmonella

I just hope Pearl is still the coach when we destroy their dream season at BWA.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Fan701

Quote from: razobak on February 16, 2018, 04:18:56 pm

Funny how the season goes on in its usual way with Auburn now at the top of the heap.  It's like living in a dream world.  It's almost for sure that Auburn will be vacating their championship season and NCAA tourney appearance.  I wonder how much long-term damage Pearl will have done to their program to give them this one tainted year of supremacy.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on February 15, 2018, 10:51:48 pm
Come March 11th you might see Tennessee-Chattanooga as a 2 seed.
I like those Mocs. Oh course I live here and it's the only thing Tennessee I root for.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Dominicanhog

If they are looking at Bama Kentucky, Auburn and MSU,  I'd be worried if I was Georgia or Mizzou, gotta blame somebody....they may nail MSU but the rest will never see a penalty that does any damage..

Dr. Starcs

Only thing that gives me hope - if they can take down Rick Pitino, then these other guys may not be safe either.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mhuff on February 16, 2018, 10:57:35 pm
While we're discussing the possibility of the FBI possibly on 50 schools. Someone explain to me with the information gathered by the FBI why this might also spill into football infractions as well.

Won't affect football at all. Football players don't typically have "handlers" assigned to them and summer activities are also where a lot of the dirty basketball deeds are taking place.

bkjbearcat

Can't...stop...yawning.

NOTHING will come out of this. The biggest names in basketball will still be with their teams. Maybe one will be gone as a sacrificial lamb. That's it.

In 2018 cheating in college basketball is accepted and the norm. It's the dirty secret everyone knows about but no one acknowledges.  If your not cheating in some capacity then your hurting your team because your doing the bare minimum.

I keep saying it and I will continue to say it. Some HC do whatever it takes to win and get that elite player. While others, do the bare minimum, act dumbfounded when the elite player goes to KY or Miss St. And never get out of the second round.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

ShadowHawg

The NCAA and FBI are different animals. The FBI will be sending people to federal prisons not imposing sanctions.

Rick Pitino is ALREADY gone over this scandal and he is as big as they get.

mhuff

February 17, 2018, 10:29:24 am #87 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:41:05 am by mhuff
Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 17, 2018, 10:17:31 am
Won't affect football at all. Football players don't typically have "handlers" assigned to them and summer activities are also where a lot of the dirty basketball deeds are taking place.

Value your opinion , but schools and sportswear companies want those athletes. They would do anything to get them. If there's a crooked way to do it, it has been done. Wonder if Nike has ever done anything in the northwest and in the Cajun country.

It will be interesting to see what all comes out of this.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: mhuff on February 17, 2018, 10:29:24 am
Value your opinion , but school companies and sports wear companies want those athletes. They would do anything to get them. If there's a crooked way to do it, it has been done. Wonder if Nike has ever done anything in the northwest and in the Cajun country.

It will be interesting to see what all comes out of this.

Large discussion about this on talk radio a couple of months ago when this broke. The consensus being several factors have probably prevented it from being an issue. The hit/miss rate on highly ranked skilled position players that would be attractive. Recruiting wars are often won with OL/DL guys that are most likely never going to be marketable. There are no shoe/apparel contracts with individual NFL players that come anywhere close to the 8 and 9 figure deals that many basketball players have. The lessened impact of adding a top player to a football team versus a baketball team.

That being said, their were secondary discussion about how football camps, 7 on 7 are in some ways beginning to take on some of the elements of AAU basketball.

These discussions involved recruiting analysts that follow the AAU basketball and camp football around doing evaluations and see the muck.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BoarEd

Back when all this stuff first broke there was a report out there suggesting that the NCAA itself was gonna go down over all of this. Their response? They essentially pleaded with the FBI to allow them to clean up college basketball internally. These programs are going to get hit hard. Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina (lol), Michigan State, Auburn (obviously), beyond that I have no clue, but I'm certain all those schools are going to get nailed.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 17, 2018, 10:20:59 am
Can't...stop...yawning.

NOTHING will come out of this. The biggest names in basketball will still be with their teams. Maybe one will be gone as a sacrificial lamb. That's it.

In 2018 cheating in college basketball is accepted and the norm. It's the dirty secret everyone knows about but no one acknowledges.  If your not cheating in some capacity then your hurting your team because your doing the bare minimum.

I keep saying it and I will continue to say it. Some HC do whatever it takes to win and get that elite player. While others, do the bare minimum, act dumbfounded when the elite player goes to KY or Miss St. And never get out of the second round.
I'm confused

rljjr

Why is basketball being targeted by the FBI? Seems to me if kickbacks and bribes are going on for a player's service in basketball then football should be right in there as well. I mean that's what is happening, right?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: rljjr on February 17, 2018, 01:42:37 pm
Why is basketball being targeted by the FBI? Seems to me if kickbacks and bribes are going on for a player's service in basketball then football should be right in there as well. I mean that's what is happening, right?
They rolled someone for something unrelated and he said hey I can give you all this shite on college b-ball if you go easy on me

BoarEd

Why? Tax evasion and fraud.

And yeah, football is likely being looked at as well. The elephant in the room, as it were (Alabama). Although the game is different in football, as the shoe contracts aren't as lucrative. I think the seediness in football goes down at the elite camps, 7-on-7 etc. Who knows? But there's an awful lot of smoke around all this and we know for a fact that some of these programs are dirty as can be.

mykidsdad

I think if I recall correctly, the FBI got someone on a charge and they informed as to what was going on in BB. They then started listening in, for like 3 years. lots of evidence, lots of corruption. Big boys will be in trouble. It has been going on for a while and it is against the law. Nolan complained of it back in the nineties, as he knew it was going on then. part of what people claimed was Nolan losing his fire was other's paying players. Nolan and Mike would never do that. They view it as a form of slavery as you end up paying others (not the players but their 'handlers and family' for them) which does sound a lot like slavery.

BoarEd

Also, I'm not sure if the FBI accepted the NCAA's terms or not. If they didn't, we could see even more explosive stuff. RICO suits.

rljjr

Thanks for all the answers. I'm chomping at the bit for it to all unfold.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2018, 01:36:55 pm
25 years ago I was just starting my job as a cable tv installer/tech. You would not have believed then the stuff we were offered to hook people up for free, "forget" to do a disconnect for non-pay, "accidentally" forget to block the pay channels. Was offered drugs, girlfriends, wives, an illegally poached deer, and those are just the memorable ones.

Sadly, this does not surprise me at all.   :)

Lady Razorback

Quote from: RedBird5 on February 16, 2018, 09:32:30 pm
He obviously never enjoyed the culinary mastery of Casa Taco

Oh, but I did.  Nothing better late night. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Fan701 on February 17, 2018, 06:33:10 am
Funny how the season goes on in its usual way with Auburn now at the top of the heap.  It's like living in a dream world.  It's almost for sure that Auburn will be vacating their championship season and NCAA tourney appearance.  I wonder how much long-term damage Pearl will have done to their program to give them this one tainted year of supremacy.

I thought I saw a story at beginning of season when the Auburn assistant was named in this mess, that Auburn was refunding basketball season ticket holders.  was I just dreaming that?