Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Support Attendance with Band Variation

Started by FarmHog, November 23, 2017, 07:44:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmHog

Way back yonder there was a "high school band" day, where a number of bands played, I think, with Razorback band during halftime.  Would get parents involved and I thought was a neat diversion once a year.  Obviously someone, or most people, thought it wasn't such a great idea so it was discontinued.  Maybe could be looked at again?

mbgrulz

Or just have a good team where people want to come to games. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I'd be happy with the band just playing something new. Same exact songs and halftime performance for the past 5 years
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 23, 2017, 07:58:43 am
I'd be happy with the band just playing something new. Same exact songs and halftime performance for the past 5 years

The halftime performances change for year to year, but they do play the same songs during the game, but so do other schools at their stadiums, it's a tradition. And you know what, other schools trot out someone every commercial break as well, IMG or something similar is hired on every campus to make money for the athletic department.  So, if you want to keep watching the games on TV, just get out your IPhone and try to get a signal during the commercial breaks at a game.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 23, 2017, 07:58:43 am

What?  No.  Lol.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:15:04 am
The halftime performances change for year to year, but they do play the same songs during the game, but so do other schools at their stadiums, it's a tradition. And you know what, other schools trot out someone every commercial break as well, IMG or something similar is hired on every campus to make money for the athletic department.  So, if you want to keep watching the games on TV, just get out your IPhone and try to get a signal during the commercial breaks at a game.
That part had nothing to do with what I said, but okay  ???
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

farmhawg

Quote from: FarmHog on November 23, 2017, 07:44:54 am
Way back yonder there was a "high school band" day, where a number of bands played, I think, with Razorback band during halftime.  Would get parents involved and I thought was a neat diversion once a year.  Obviously someone, or most people, thought it wasn't such a great idea so it was discontinued.  Maybe could be looked at again?
Damn, when will football season get here.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 23, 2017, 08:28:01 am
That part had nothing to do with what I said, but okay  ???

Just lumped it in their as a PSA, it was sure to come up.

NaturalStateReb

Band Day is an excellent idea. It gets lots of kids on campus at a time. Schedule it for a game where the chances of a sellout are less, and you're not really out anything.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 23, 2017, 08:46:37 am
Band Day is an excellent idea. It gets lots of kids on campus at a time. Schedule it for a game where the chances of a sellout are less, and you're not really out anything.

Nah, charge them $85 for the privilege and honor to play on Frank Broyles Field.......you'll never get hired as an AD......

jgphillips3

Let's have a Texas, Louisiana and Florida "band day", pay for all expenses, but say they have to bring the football team too. ;)

hoghearted

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 23, 2017, 08:46:37 am

Do they not do this anymore? My daughter attended a couple of these events in the 90's and ended up attending UA as a result.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Oklahawg

They charge the alumni band to participate. It is too costly to "give away" tickets. Those odd looking "sellouts" with entire sections in the upper reaches empty are the result of someone's big donation being used to buy tickets to qualify as a sellout? Maybe?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ShadowTheHedgehog

No, get a new coach, win games and the stadium will be full.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2017, 12:43:31 pm
They charge the alumni band to participate. It is too costly to "give away" tickets. Those odd looking "sellouts" with entire sections in the upper reaches empty are the result of someone's big donation being used to buy tickets to qualify as a sellout? Maybe?

What sellouts have entire empty sections?

razorbrass

You can tell the team sucks when a thread about the band makes an appearance
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

ur

It could be "the Arkansas tie" to a future coach.  ;)

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: razorbrass on November 23, 2017, 05:55:47 pm
You can tell the team sucks when a thread about the band makes an appearance

There are several band directors on this message board, including one well known moderator.  They're going to show up.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

RMBMama

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 23, 2017, 07:10:56 pm
There are several band directors on this message board, including one well known moderator.  They're going to show up.

Amen.

The band comes early and stays late.  They work hard.  Let's give them the respect they deserve.

razorbrass

I am also a band director - have been for the last 31 years.  Not enamoured with the band day idea.  Hate that athletic departments use bands as props to cover up their own shortcomings.  Empty stands - let's get the band nerds to come and make it look like something big is going on. Here is an idea get off your cans and promote the game - heck anyone can sell tickets while the team is winning.  Now then if the athletic department had shown a genuine interest in supporting bands by having yearly band days at games with high quality opponents then maybe I would be more receptive to the idea.  I have worked with college athletic departments for almost 20 years and In my opinion there is only one thing they are interested in - well actually two.  Making money and keeping their high paying jobs.  Wins are a distant third - they only need wins to keep ticket prices high and donations rolling in.  Don't even get me started on the student athlete myth.  College athletics in the revenue generating sports is all about taking advantage of cheap labor.

As for band threads- I would love to see threads talking about the valued contributions of the students but more often than not they are complaint fests about music selection, looks or weight of color guard groups, not as good as when I was in the group, etc. etc.  It has been my general observation that these type threads appear when the team is performing poorly.  When the team is winning no one pays any attention to the marching band which in my opinion is a real shame.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

FarmHog

When I began this post there was a hint of it helping attendance.  At the same time I meant that it is something that brings the "hog family" back into focus.  My daughter played in the U of A band for 3 years (over 2 decades ago when Ropken? was here) and went through coming up prior to school starting,  sweating through the practices, high stepping during the games, etc., so I understand how difficult it was from talking to her.  One of the highlights back then, to me, was seeing the bands from the different schools come together that one time per year.
Watching the U of A band is a highlight to me every game now.  So all I'm saying is it would be neat to see the high school bands involved once again.

hoghearted

Quote from: FarmHog on November 24, 2017, 06:21:30 am
When I began this post there was a hint of it helping attendance.  At the same time I meant that it is something that brings the "hog family" back into focus.  My daughter played in the U of A band for 3 years (over 2 decades ago when Ropken? was here) and went through coming up prior to school starting,  sweating through the practices, high stepping during the games, etc., so I understand how difficult it was from talking to her.  One of the highlights back then, to me, was seeing the bands from the different schools come together that one time per year.
Watching the U of A band is a highlight to me every game now.  So all I'm saying is it would be neat to see the high school bands involved once again.

I agree. The band adds to the game experience, especially for those who aren't necessarily huge football afficianados. Lots of people attend the games for the whole package and the fun around the game, and not just for what goes on on the field.

For those who can't find anything positive to say about the band, I feel
sorry for you. Those musicians are razorbacks too, and deserve some support from fans.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

WalHog2018

I support getting rid of the band at halftime and making CFB halftime like NFL halftime: 12 minutes. Clock begins when the 2nd quarter ends immediately. CFB is too long.

Though I wouldnt mind the band if they could fit in the 12 minute time slot.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 24, 2017, 11:57:40 am
I support getting rid of the band at halftime and making CFB halftime like NFL halftime: 12 minutes. Clock begins when the 2nd quarter ends immediately. CFB is too long.

Though I wouldnt mind the band if they could fit in the 12 minute time slot.

The band's halftime performance is easily less than 12 minutes.

247Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:15:04 am

Oklahoma comes to mind. They have to play their annoying jingle at least 500 times a game.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

WalHog2018

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 24, 2017, 12:44:11 pm
The band's halftime performance is easily less than 12 minutes.
perfect!! No issue then