Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEBaseball Friday Postseason Impact

Started by TikiHog, April 27, 2013, 08:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Wow...appears we aren't even CLOSE to hosting by those projections.

As of today:

National seeds:
North Carolina
LSU
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Oregon State
Cal State Fullerton
Oregon
NC State

Hosts:
Florida State
Mississippi State
South Carolina
UCLA
Louisville
Indiana
Arizona State
Florida

Next in line:
Clemson
Oklahoma
Miami
South Alabama
Ole Miss

Anybody see any problems with any of those teams hosting or being next in line?

Lake City Hog

According to the Baseball America poll we are #14

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-top-25-april-22-lsu-virginia-n-c-state-move-up-in-rankings/

For those that just have to have a link!

Win every series for the rest of the season with a possible sweep or two and we will be very close to the top 10. That assures us of a host spot!
These are just opinions of guys writing an article, nothing more.

We finish as #3 in the SEC and we WILL host.

TikiHog

no these are guys using the RPI ranking which supposedly is what the NCAA goes by...like I've said either were gonna get screwed OR we will get a pass for a bad RPI

Danny J

Quote from: TikiHog on April 27, 2013, 09:14:13 pm
no these are guys using the RPI ranking which supposedly is what the NCAA goes by...like I've said either were gonna get screwed OR we will get a pass for a bad RPI
Sounds about right....I could very well see us finishing in the top 3 in the SEC and because of RPI being left out. That should be a clear indicator the RPI formula is pure and utter garbage when talking baseball.

Mrcoolhog55

Well the Hogs need to just keep Winning, and things should work themselves out, as the old saying goes. The Hogs just need to take care of business. They need to Win all of the series either 3-0, or at least 2-1. I think if the Hogs finish as the 3rd place team that should put us close to hosting. Also we may need to Win 1-2-3 games at the SEC Tournament? What do you guys think??

TikiHog

texas is done...they just lost to Baylor 1-0 and have now lost every conf. series this year..22-19  5-12

TikiHog

cant post Saturday's because its a pay article but here's the host situation

National Seed

1 NC
2 Vandy
3 LSU
4 Oregon St
5 Virginia
6 Fullerton
7 Oregon
8 NCState

Host

9 FSU
10 UCLA
11 SC
12 Indiana
13 Louisville
14 ASU
15 MSU
16 Florida

next in line

17 Clemson
18 OU
19 USA
20 Miami
21 VTech

jry04

Quote from: TikiHog on April 27, 2013, 09:14:13 pm
If the NCAA goes solely off RPI then they are complete idiots. That may be the case anyways, though. If they go off RPI, then we will likely be a 3 seed no matter what. I highly doubt that is the case.

TikiHog

just asked Mark (owner of SEBaseball) here's his take on the RPI

With the new formula we'll have to see how the committee views teams like Arkansas, Stanford, and Oklahoma State that appear to be better teams than their RPI rank suggests. I suspect they'll use the RPI as one of the factors and include them in the field but have them lower than the polls or the eye test would suggest.

One other note our Non-Conference RPI is 166 which is why our RPI is so bad

Danny J

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 04:01:32 pm

LIES!!!! LIES I TELL YA!!!!

They don't even look at our non-conference games. They are nothing more than scrimmages. The only games that matter are SEC games during the weekend.

TikiHog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 28, 2013, 04:24:55 pm
LIES!!!! LIES I TELL YA!!!!

They don't even look at our non-conference games. They are nothing more than scrimmages. The only games that matter are SEC games during the weekend.

LOL  +1

TikiHog

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 04:01:32 pm
just asked Mark (owner of SEBaseball) here's his take on the RPI

With the new formula we'll have to see how the committee views teams like Arkansas, Stanford, and Oklahoma State that appear to be better teams than their RPI rank suggests. I suspect they'll use the RPI as one of the factors and include them in the field but have them lower than the polls or the eye test would suggest.

Mark mentions Stanford...I think they might get left out...they got swept by Oregon this weekend to go 23-15 and 9-9 in conference..they have a RPI of 98 and SOS of 129...they have at ASU, Oregon State, Cal and at UCLA

ucahogfan

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 06:15:41 pm
Mark mentions Stanford...I think they might get left out...they got swept by Oregon this weekend to go 23-15 and 9-9 in conference..they have a RPI of 98 and SOS of 129...they have at ASU, Oregon State, Cal and at UCLA
Which might signal to Marquess and right hand man Stotz it might be time to retire much like Burrito in Austin.  Marquess/Stotz have been together at Stanford for close to 40 years.  They have too much talent on that team to not make the tourney.

TikiHog

talking to some in the know here in Houston their saying Augie is out

ucahogfan

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 07:00:03 pm
talking to some in the know here in Houston their saying Augie is out
I would figure that.  2 years of no postseason at Texas means the head coach should lose his job no matter what he has done in the past.  They have way too big of an advantage in the Big 12 now that A&M is in the SEC.

Who do they go after to hire?  Schlosnagle (sp) at TCU?  Think I remember hearing on TV about 5-6 years ago that they would make a run at DVH, but there is zero chance he goes even if they try.  Maybe they go after Bianco at Ole Miss, but he hasn't made it to Omaha.

TikiHog

they have the money to go after anyone....I'm sure it will be someone big time

ucahogfan

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 07:14:44 pm
they have the money to go after anyone....I'm sure it will be someone big time
Come on Tiki, actually make a prediction.  I think they go after Savage at UCLA.

TikiHog

I say these are the first 4 called...O'Sullivan, Horton, DVH and Fox

ucahogfan

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 08:15:24 pm
I say these are the first 4 called...O'Sullivan, Horton, DVH and Fox
4 of the names that came up for me as well.  O'Sullivan has spent his entire career on the East Coast, but is relatively young at 44 and is an excellent recruiter.  George Horton has spent his entire career on the West Coast, and came out of retirement to revive the Oregon program.  Don't know if he will want to leave the program he has built from the ground up.  DVH and Fox are coaching at their alma maters and have great fan/admin support.

Each coach has been to Omaha at least 3 times since 2004 so they know what it takes to get a program there.  Out of those 4, O'Sullivan would be the most likely to change jobs although Horton and Oregon did have a contract dispute earlier this year, but he is also 59 years old.

Interesting fact after looking at Garrido's bio: He left Fullerton from 1988-1990 to coach at Illinois before returning back in 1991.  He has also been a head coach in college baseball as long as Kevin O'Sullivan has been alive.

Baseball Hog

I just hope they don't try to take Butler.

TikiHog

texted my buddies and they all said OSullivan would be their first choice...I asked about Butler and they said they already have a Butler on their staff LOL

ucahogfan

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 08:55:55 pm
texted my buddies and they all said OSullivan would be their first choice...I asked about Butler and they said they already have a Butler on their staff LOL
He seems like the logical choice IMO.  He has turned Florida around fast because he has been able to out recruit FSU and Miami in-state.

Who is their Butler?  Highly doubt they have someone of his level on their staff.

TikiHog

ucahogfan

Quote from: TikiHog on April 28, 2013, 09:09:12 pm
Team BA .259 nuff said
Yep, that is terrible, especially with one of their main players hitting over .380.

I could see it being their pitching coach who has spent his entire career in Texas.