Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A new July 4th tradition?

Started by hawgtahm, July 05, 2007, 01:45:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtahm

We may have started one at my house. At least, if I can find lobster tails (4 oz.) for cheap.

We added a new twist to the traditional brats, this year. I grilled some lobster tails as appetizers, and served them while I waited for the beer to boil (gotta prep the brats for grilling). I think we will call it "Surf and Turds".

Don't ask me for measurements, because I didn't measure, but here's how I grilled the lobster:

Mix some softened butter* with ground pepper, basil, Tony Chachere's, and just a little bit of garlic. Set this aside.

Use kitchen shears to split the top shell (hard, round side) lengthwise. Using a knife, cut the meat down to the undershell, and splay it open in a butterfly fashion. Coat the exposed meat with the seasoned butter. Save some of the butter you'll need it later.

I use a gas grill, with smoker pouches (hickory), and preheat it to about 425, with the chips starting to smoke.

Place the tails, meat side down on the grill to sear them. After 2 to 3 minutes, flip them meat side up. Baste them with the seasoned butter, and close the lid. Check for doneness after an additional 4 minutes. When done, the shells will be orange, and the meat will be white, having lost it's transparent appearance.

Serve with melted butter and lots of napkins, of course.

*I use Brummel and Brown. It's a butter substitute made with yogurt. It's my token attempt at healthy eating, but I actually like it's flavor, too.

Go Hogs!

mikeb

"Surf and Turds"   ;D

Sounds damn good, you forgot about listing the beverage you drank or one that we should try with said meal  8)

hawgtahm

July 06, 2007, 12:55:16 am #2 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:56:48 am by hawgtahm
My apologies for the omission.

During preparation, I consumed a few of my favorite old stand-by, Trademark Pale Ale from Breckenridge Brewery. With the lobster, I enjoyed, and recommend Hennepin, a bottle conditioned Belgian-style ale from Ommegang. Then I returned to the Trademark for the brats and the remainder of the evening.

mikeb

Quote from: hawgtahm on July 06, 2007, 12:55:16 am

During preparation, I consumed a few of my favorite old stand-by, Trademark Pale Ale from Breckenridge Brewery. With the lobster, I enjoyed, and recommend Hennepin, a bottle conditioned Belgian-style ale from Ommegang. Then I returned to the Trademark for the brats and the remainder of the evening.

Nice  8)

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hawgtahm on July 06, 2007, 12:55:16 am

That reads just like a FayVet post. :)