Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Friday and the weather

Started by thislittlepig, April 12, 2018, 12:42:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thislittlepig

Anyone heard any rumblings about moving Friday's game due to the threat of severe weather ?

WizardofhOgZ

My best guess - at this time - is that they'll try to play it and get as far as they can, IF they cannot get the entire game in.  If they don't, they can finish it before Saturday's game. 

Current forecast calls for chances of rain peaking in the mid afternoon, then tapering to about 30% during the evening hours when the game is scheduled.  To me, that means it may or may not rain, and even if it does, it doesn't mean they can't play baseball in it.  Would depend on lightning.

Of course, all of this can change when a more accurate (?) forecast comes out tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fayetteville-ar/72701/hourly-weather-forecast/326857?hour=36

BroyledNutts

The computer models I've seen place a broken line of very strong to severe T-storms in and around Fayetteville by 6pm Friday ... but it's not a solid line - it's isolated super cells - both GFS and Euro models are picking up on this, but neither show a consistent outcome around NWA ... both models show storms in Benton County, and south toward Ft. Smith, as the line passes through, but neither show storms around Fayetteville at game time - the Euro model predicts storms earlier in the day to pass through NWA, the GFS does not.

So you just don't know ... The models have already changed twice this week on this, and it will surely change again tomorrow morning ... I do pick up on this one point worth noting from both models - the line of storms that will pass through will be moving in excess of 40 mph, so any weather that does occur won't be sticking around long ... as long as the field doesn't take 3 inches of rain in 30 minutes when this passes over, we should be playing Friday night ...

Paul Westerhawg

GarrettLewis told me this afternoon that he believes the gane will go off with no issues. Lots of places won't see any rain. If there is a dealy, don't expect it to be very long.

rzrbkman

All of the weather forecasts that I am seeing are not showing heavy rain but are showing very good chances of severe weather.

Razrpig256

This update from Dan Skoff shows storms still going through NWA from 7-8 pm.

https://twitter.com/weatherdan/status/984827717496590336?s=21

Baconomics

No offense to the weather guys - it's a hard job here - but this thing is petering out.  It was supposed to rain virtually all day.  It hasn't materialized and the radar indicates it's breaking up in Oklahoma.  If we get anything, i expect it to be minor.

A Hogwork Orange

Quote from: nesjunk on April 13, 2018, 11:27:04 am
No offense to the weather guys - it's a hard job here - but this thing is petering out.  It was supposed to rain virtually all day.  It hasn't materialized and the radar indicates it's breaking up in Oklahoma.  If we get anything, i expect it to be minor.

I agree with you there. Seems like if we do get anything, it'll be brief. But hey, I think they got way more credibility than me on this one.

rzrbkman

Quote from: nesjunk on April 13, 2018, 11:27:04 am

I never saw any weather forecast in which much rain was expected during the daylight hours, the majority of the bad weather is supposed to happen tonight.

Knot2brite

We are bracing for tornadoes down here in Texarkana ...we are at a torcon 7
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 13, 2018, 01:13:03 pm
We are bracing for tornadoes down here in Texarkana ...we are at a torcon 7

Get your safe room ready, your important papers rounded up, and your pets prepped ... Tuscaloosa 2011 was a Tor-Con 7 day ... please stay aware and safe ...

Hogs49ers

Well hell, how do I prep my pets??
SCREW Vandy!

BroyledNutts

April 13, 2018, 02:30:37 pm #12 Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:12:02 pm by BroyledNutts
Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 13, 2018, 02:02:16 pm

Make sure your safe area has a supply of food and water, a cage or kennel if you have one, comforting toys or blankets in place - make sure these things are in your safe spot and ready to go in the event a short notice warning makes you have to get there in a hurry - if you use thunder shirts, calming treats or sprays, use them before storms reach your area so your pet is under the influence and won't be freaking out during the storm ... it's stressful enough in a situation like that without having your dog barking crazily the whole time your in there ... have these things ready to go in case, God forbid, you do take a hit from a tornado - you'll be concerned and focused on your house, your family, maybe your neighbors at that moment, and your pet will need to be secured safely with their needs so they aren't out running through the damage stepping on sharp objects, getting into live electrical lines, or disappearing in a panic state ...

EDIT:  One thing I didn't mention that is important - if you have vet and kennel records available for your pets, make sure to include those in your packet of important papers, and also include any prescriptions your pet may be taking. If your local vet takes a hit and is out of business for a while, you'll need those things to maintain your pet's health, and to establish them at a different vet while rebuilding takes place.

Knot2brite

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 13, 2018, 01:18:57 pm
Get your safe room ready, your important papers rounded up, and your pets prepped ... Tuscaloosa 2011 was a Tor-Con 7 day ... please stay aware and safe ...
Safe room is ready and the Australian Shepard will be in at the first sound of thunder
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Hogs49ers

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 13, 2018, 02:30:37 pm
make sure your safe area has a supply of food and water, a cage or kennel if you have one, comforting toys or blankets in place - make sure these things are in your safe spot and ready to go in the event a short notice warning makes you have to get there in a hurry - if you use thunder shirts, calming treats or sprays, use them before storms reach your area so your pet is under the influence and won't be freaking out during the storm ... it's stressful enough in a situation like that without having your dog barking crazily the whole time your in there ... have these things ready to go in case, God forbid, you do take a hit from a tornado - you'll be concerned and focused on your house, your family, maybe your neighbors at that moment, and your pet will need to be secured safely with their needs so they aren't out running through the damage stepping on sharp objects, getting into live electrical lines, or disappearing in a panic state ...

Thank you kind sir.
SCREW Vandy!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 13, 2018, 02:39:43 pm
Thank you kind sir.

Always. I want every person in EI, and their furry family members, around for a long time to talk baseball.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 13, 2018, 02:30:37 pm
make sure your safe area has a supply of food and water, a cage or kennel if you have one, comforting toys or blankets in place - make sure these things are in your safe spot and ready to go in the event a short notice warning makes you have to get there in a hurry - if you use thunder shirts, calming treats or sprays, use them before storms reach your area so your pet is under the influence and won't be freaking out during the storm ... it's stressful enough in a situation like that without having your dog barking crazily the whole time your in there ... have these things ready to go in case, God forbid, you do take a hit from a tornado - you'll be concerned and focused on your house, your family, maybe your neighbors at that moment, and your pet will need to be secured safely with their needs so they aren't out running through the damage stepping on sharp objects, getting into live electrical lines, or disappearing in a panic state ...

Good stuff man. I usually just grab my dogs and take them to the storm shelter with me but have never thought about having food or toys there for them.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

BroyledNutts

April 13, 2018, 02:52:40 pm #17 Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:12:17 pm by BroyledNutts

hogginbama

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 13, 2018, 02:02:16 pm

Run to the vet and get some xanax for them. I have an 8-yr old Golden that is terrified of storms. Vet gave us xanax for him to use 30 minutes before the storm rolls in. 1-bar and he is sleeping like a baby.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

SPAL

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogginbama on April 13, 2018, 03:21:02 pm
Run to the vet and get some xanax for them. I have an 8-yr old Golden that is terrified of storms. Vet gave us xanax for him to use 30 minutes before the storm rolls in. 1-bar and he is sleeping like a baby.

I heard a little beer after the bar works well.

All seriousness though, vet told my mom to do the same thing years ago when she rescued a dog from a bad home.  We did not think it was serious till we looked at the pills.