Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama loses another recruit....this time to Grambling!!

Started by EverydayAllDay, January 23, 2018, 04:22:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woopig

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: woopig on January 23, 2018, 04:34:58 pm
Grades or scared of competition?
Neither... Plain talk? He smelled bullsh!t when coaches spoke to him, had his own plan and Grambling said the right thing. "Where do you want to play?"
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Flrazrback

For a smaller school Grambling plays some hardnose football.  Young man has some impressive stats, might be hearing about him soon.

aloha_kid

Not sure where the article got its information ..."19th best high school recruit out of Alabama for the class of 2018"?  Not even top 50. Nice reporting newsstar

https://247sports.com/Player/Maurice-Robinson-46035730

HogHomer

Looks like Alabama offered almost a year ago. Sounds like the guy didn't have an actually offer. Good for him for finding a school that he thinks is the perfect fit for him.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogHomer on January 23, 2018, 10:41:30 pm
Looks like Alabama offered almost a year ago. Sounds like the guy didn't have an actually offer. Good for him for finding a school that he thinks is the perfect fit for him.

I don't know the kid, but something tells me you just made that darn up because YOU can't imagine anyone turning down Alabama for Grambling for any other reason...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Tortfeasor

A 3⭐️ athlete. Not sure Bama had a spot for him with all those 5's they are getting.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Yeah, the guy was likely encouraged to look elsewhere.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 23, 2018, 06:58:59 pm
For a smaller school Grambling plays some hardnose football.  Young man has some impressive stats, might be hearing about him soon.
Absolutely true but I wouldn't expect people to know much about SWAC football on here. For the people who are clueless go watch the Arizona vs Gambling game and get back with. They almost won while losing there starting QB in the 2nd quarter.

IronHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 24, 2018, 08:38:51 am
Absolutely true but I wouldn't expect people to know much about SWAC football on here. For the people who are clueless go watch the Arizona vs Gambling game and get back with. They almost won while losing there starting QB in the 2nd quarter.

SWAC usta rule when they could scoop up all the borderline academic casualties.  Their rosters aren't carrying that type talent anymore.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Porknoxville

Bottom line, all things equal with full ride to each, there is NO Fng way I pick GSU over Bama!
There is more to it. I would agree that. Grades or competition are potential reasons.

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on January 24, 2018, 08:44:58 am

SWAC usta rule when they could scoop up all the borderline academic casualties.  Their rosters aren't carrying that type talent anymore.

True because there are more options now than back in the day for kids with academic issues. However, SWAC is still producing NFL quality players. Chad Williams, Grambling State is a nice WR for Arizona. Terron Armstead from UAPB is a very solid starting left tackle for Saints. I remember seeing an article that stated in 2016 there were 14 former SWAC players on NFL rosters. For a conference with mostly schools that have an enrollment of 5000 or less...not too bad. The NFL still knows about the SWAC! 

IronHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 24, 2018, 09:28:57 am
True because there are more options now than back in the day for kids with academic issues. However, SWAC is still producing NFL quality players. Chad Williams, Grambling State is a nice WR for Arizona. Terron Armstead from UAPB is a very solid starting left tackle for Saints. I remember seeing an article that stated in 2016 there were 14 former SWAC players on NFL rosters. For a conference with mostly schools that have an enrollment of 5000 or less...not too bad. The NFL still knows about the SWAC! 

SWAC schools needs to hang up the historically black thing and join 2017.......

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on January 24, 2018, 09:42:10 am

SWAC schools needs to hang up the historically black thing and join 2017.......

And you know this how?

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

Good!  Need more of this.  Can't wait to see it.
TRUST IN THE FORCE!!!  LET IT FLOW ALL THROUGHOUT YOU!!

ridgehog88

I don't think this is the beginning of the end for Bama

Vantage 8 dude

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: IronHog on January 24, 2018, 08:44:58 am

No SWAC used to rule when PWI's (Predominantly white institutions) weren't allowing African Americans athletes into there schools. Once they started seeing how talented they were they changed that. And if you think the SWAC still doesn't have that same talent you're wrong. The only difference between HBCU's and Major colleges are facilities, resources, and the Strength and conditioning coaches. You know how many D1 athletes transfer from major D1 colleges to a HBCU and don't make an impact. Dedrick Poole wasn't even a featured back when he transferred to UAPB. I can go on and on. I played for Mississippi Valley State and we would get D1 transfers in and they would be no greater talent wise then what we had. They would definitely look the part though. Half of our roster got D1 offers or looks but we're passed over either because of grades, off the field issues, or size. It's a lot that goes into recruiting.

Cinco de Hogo

Much ta do about nothing Bama offers what 100-300 athletes.   Many of those will commit before the words are out of the coaches mouth if they let them.  Why exactly do you think schools like Bama don't fill up their classes way in advance?  Because almost all their offers are conditional.  It's the wise player, parent and closest advisers that look hard at what Bama is "really" offering.   Better the players keep some eggs in their baskets.

Richard Davenport

IronHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 24, 2018, 06:56:49 pm
No SWAC used to rule when PWI's (Predominantly white institutions) weren't allowing African Americans athletes into there schools. Once they started seeing how talented they were they changed that. And if you think the SWAC still doesn't have that same talent you're wrong. The only difference between HBCU's and Major colleges are facilities, resources, and the Strength and conditioning coaches. You know how many D1 athletes transfer from major D1 colleges to a HBCU and don't make an impact. Dedrick Poole wasn't even a featured back when he transferred to UAPB. I can go on and on. I played for Mississippi Valley State and we would get D1 transfers in and they would be no greater talent wise then what we had. They would definitely look the part though. Half of our roster got D1 offers or looks but we're passed over either because of grades, off the field issues, or size. It's a lot that goes into recruiting.

SWAC was a lot better in the 70-80-90's

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on January 25, 2018, 09:41:57 am

SWAC was a lot better in the 70-80-90's

You could probably say that about other football conferences (Pac-12 for example) but that's not a reason to fold.

jkstock04

Kid says Grambling is the better option to play football over Alabama. I'm not buying any of this being legit. Doesn't make logical sense. Doubtful he had any committable offers to blue chip schools.

I guess the fake news headline made for a lot of clicks though...that's what it's all about these days.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

zebradynasty

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 25, 2018, 12:20:37 pm
Kid says Grambling is the better option to play football over Alabama. I'm not buying any of this being legit. Doesn't make logical sense. Doubtful he had any committable offers to blue chip schools.

I guess the fake news headline made for a lot of clicks though...that's what it's all about these days.

247 said he had offers from SEC schools.

HogHomer

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 25, 2018, 12:31:45 pm
247 said he had offers from SEC schools.
And so do 100's of other kids who don't end up at SEC or even P5 schools. 247 doesn't list which offers are committable but if you look at the situation it can be pretty easy to tell if it's a real offer or not.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HogHomer on January 25, 2018, 02:24:26 pm
And so do 100's of other kids who don't end up at SEC or even P5 schools. 247 doesn't list which offers are committable but if you look at the situation it can be pretty easy to tell if it's a real offer or not.

Not sure I understand what is a "real" offer?

jkstock04

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 25, 2018, 03:14:25 pm
Not sure I understand what is a "real" offer?
For years now it's always been kind of the elephant in the room type of deal when talking about offer lists. Some of these offers are completely contingent...school will tell kid "yes we want you, if this or this happens we will have a spot for you, we will let you know." Kid tells recruiting service and everyone else X school(s) have "offered" him and that's what ya have to go by. Makes their profile look better and more legit so people buy more subscriptions to said recruiting service.

I'm simply not going to buy that a 3* kid from Mobile Alabama was recruited hard by Alabama and LSU but he turned them down flat to go to Grambling because that's a "better option." That doesn't make logical sense to me.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 25, 2018, 12:20:37 pm

What's the difference between Alabama and Grambling besides Bama being a bigger platform which really doesn't matter much these days with technology and social media. Both schools offer full rides, both school won champions recently, both schools have players in the NFL. Of course Alabama has more.  But is it that hard to believe a athlete thinks he has a better chance to fulfill his destiny at a HBCU than Alabama?

HogHomer

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 25, 2018, 05:49:38 pm
What's the difference between Alabama and Grambling besides Bama being a bigger platform which really doesn't matter much these days with technology and social media. Both schools offer full rides, both school won champions recently, both schools have players in the NFL. Of course Alabama has more.  But is it that hard to believe a athlete thinks he has a better chance to fulfill his destiny at a HBCU than Alabama?
World class facilities, some of the best tutors money can buy, a ton of free stuff that a place like grambling can't afford, some of the best coaching in the country, 100,000 fans cheering for you during home games. To name a few.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: HogHomer on January 25, 2018, 08:32:07 pm
World class facilities, some of the best tutors money can buy, a ton of free stuff that a place like grambling can't afford, some of the best coaching in the country, 100,000 fans cheering for you during home games. To name a few.
Yeah you right I'm just biased I went to a SWAC school lol But hey maybe he's that 1 and trillion guy who enjoys the simple things in life. Marcus Dupree left Oklahoma because he missed MS you never know

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 25, 2018, 09:01:01 pm
Yeah you right I'm just biased I went to a SWAC school lol But hey maybe he's that 1 and trillion guy who enjoys the simple things in life. Marcus Dupree left Oklahoma because he missed MS you never know

All we need is that ONE 4 or 5 * recruit to actually spurn the big colleges for the HBCU and start the trend where it needs to return.  Hopefully it'll happen soon, bro. ✊🏽
TRUST IN THE FORCE!!!  LET IT FLOW ALL THROUGHOUT YOU!!