Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I just bought a whole pork Loin

Started by pigture perfect, January 11, 2017, 01:53:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I want to grill, smoke or something for my daughters birthday in February. Any advice?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

ImHogginIt

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 11, 2017, 03:28:01 am
Loin roast or tenderloin?

Grill the loin roast and smoke the tenderloin. I can smoke a tasty tenderloin but all my smoked loin roasts were a bit underwhelming so I no longer smoke them.

pigture perfect

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 11, 2017, 03:28:01 am
Loin roast or tenderloin?
its the 3 foot version that I'm hoping will feed about 25 people.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cosmodrum

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 11, 2017, 03:49:47 am
Grill the loin roast and smoke the tenderloin. I can smoke a tasty tenderloin but all my smoked loin roasts were a bit underwhelming so I no longer smoke them.

Im actually opposite.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 11, 2017, 10:02:09 am
its the 3 foot version that I'm hoping will feed about 25 people.

For one that size, I'd probably cut it in half and smoke them at 225 until temp in the center is 145. If you dont have a digital meat thermometer, I highly recommend one. I like garlic, black pepper, salt, and fresh rosemary. Apple wood is great for smoking lean pork.
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 11, 2017, 11:18:23 am
Im actually opposite.

Same. I smoke the big loin roasts and grill the tenderloin.  Love some smoked pork loin sliced super thin.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 11, 2017, 11:44:06 am
Same. I smoke the big loin roasts and grill the tenderloin.  Love some smoked pork loin sliced super thin.

I use cherry wood for loins but with the larger loin I seem to have trouble getting the meat to absorb enough smoke to my liking.

hogbud

Started cooking loin on BGE this weekend and lost heat....put in oven and was great....oh well

PorkRinds

hogbud

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogbud on January 23, 2017, 10:24:16 pm
Clogged airflow...lesson learned

That'll do it. Gotta keep that ash basket clean. I've made the mistake myself, but I usually figured it out before I started cooking when my heat wasn't doing what it was supposed to.

hog of steele

Take a long knife and cut an opening down the center. Don't slice it. Poke it through lengthwise. Run a sausage down the middle. Like a smoked sausage. It takes some strength but feed it through.

Then, Make a bacon weave. Its just what it sounds like. Over and under with bacon until you have a big bacon blanket. Wrap the bacon weave around the pork. Smoke the entire thing.

Good news, this is delicious.
Bad news, this isn't kosher.

zane

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 11, 2017, 11:18:23 am
Im actually opposite.

Fo sho

Though I'm usually just doing a smaller tenderloin for me and the wife
RIP LSUfan

hogbud

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 24, 2017, 01:07:33 pm
That'll do it. Gotta keep that ash basket clean. I've made the mistake myself, but I usually figured it out before I started cooking when my heat wasn't doing what it was supposed to.

Started cook with hangover

jdelo77

We take ours and hollow out the center and stuff it with cream cheese and jalapeños ...
It's hard to beat that ...

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"