Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Pelfrey press conference

Started by olblueyes, October 18, 2007, 08:48:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

olblueyes

A good read. Pay close attention to what he is saying about each player. This team will be a beast come conference time.
http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1283508
Following, supporting, and rooting the hogs on 24/7 X 365!!!!

The Boar War

3kgthog

Rakestraw out 6-8 weeks with a broken pinky? I'm no doctor, but that seems like an awfully long time for a pinky.

What I gathered from that is Hill still stinks on the offensive end, Ervin isn't coachable, Marcus Britt is a 2-3 year project, and Weems isn't much of a defender. I also noticed that Townes wasn't mentioned. Hopefully that means Mr. Headcase is gone and the guy that destroyed Hill on Friday night will show up in every game. If he does then we've got a great shot at hoisting another SEC Championship trophy. 

cardinalhawg

I actually like how in those comments he comes across as blunt in his criticism of the players and to the point.  There did not seem to be any sugarcoating in his analysis and criticism of the players discussed.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: cardinalhawg on October 18, 2007, 10:19:31 pm
I actually like how in those comments he comes across as blunt in his criticism of the players and to the point.  There did not seem to be any sugarcoating in his analysis and criticism of the players discussed.

I'm glad he actually talks, unlike our former...
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

razorback903

Quote from: cardinalhawg on October 18, 2007, 10:19:31 pm
He definately doesn't sugar coat it.  He knows that this will help them improve.  He basically called the players out and is telling them to keep working hard to improve.  He knows the potential this team has and he's ready to bring it out.
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

pokeydaman

was it me, or did there seem to be no positives come out of that? dont get me wrong, im very very excited about Hogball and the Pelphrey system. im hoping he was just calling those players out on their weaknesses, so at least they know where they stand and what to work on. Go HOgs!!!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: pokeydaman on October 19, 2007, 08:20:46 am
was it me, or did there seem to be no positives come out of that? dont get me wrong, im very very excited about Hogball and the Pelphrey system. im hoping he was just calling those players out on their weaknesses, so at least they know where they stand and what to work on. Go HOgs!!!!!

It's refreshing to hear honesty.  Sounds like he's a coach that won't put up with anything but the best out of his players.

We needed that badly.

I love the part about how he said physically we have all the tools, but they need to get mentally tough.  He has already nailed the problem and sounds like he is fixing it.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

ColumbianHog

He didn't mention Townes, Beverley, Hunter, or Thomas. 

I am taking that as those players are doing well and don't need any criticism to get them going.

Hogginitall

October 19, 2007, 09:46:12 am #9 Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:10:30 am by Hogginitall
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on October 19, 2007, 08:26:38 am
Quote from: pokeydaman on October 19, 2007, 08:20:46 am

It's refreshing to hear honesty.  Sounds like he's a coach that won't put up with anything but the best out of his players.

We needed that badly.

I love the part about how he said physically we have all the tools, but they need to get mentally tough.  He has already nailed the problem and sounds like he is fixing it.
GO HOGS!!!!!!!

I think you nailed it with these sentences.  They're probably playing well, but good enough doesn't cut it with him.  He wants them to play their best everytime they step on the floor.  I love his attitude.  He will demand greatness from every player he coaches.  It's kind of refreshing...

booogaga

i like a coach with balls. stan was just too damn soft.
GO HOGS!

razorback903

Quote from: ColumbianHog on October 19, 2007, 09:35:31 am
He didn't mention Townes, Beverley, Hunter, or Thomas. 

I am taking that as those players are doing well and don't need any criticism to get them going.
The article was a partial transcript.  Maybe they didn't ask about those players or they left that part out.  I doubt that they don't need criticism, Pelphrey sounds like he is wanting perfection out of all players.
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

HawgAdvocate

What does he mean when he says Rakestraw lost 25 points?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 19, 2007, 11:56:28 am

i think they meant pounds...

SPAL

sounds like Pel will have em ready....sounds like he knows what needs to be changed. Some bad habits were developed in the stan heath era and pel has noticed it and is fixing it. It will take time.

FootballHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 18, 2007, 10:06:32 pm
Rakestraw out 6-8 weeks with a broken pinky? I'm no doctor, but that seems like an awfully long time for a pinky.

What I gathered from that is Hill still stinks on the offensive end, Ervin isn't coachable, Marcus Britt is a 2-3 year project, and Weems isn't much of a defender. I also noticed that Townes wasn't mentioned. Hopefully that means Mr. Headcase is gone and the guy that destroyed Hill on Friday night will show up in every game. If he does then we've got a great shot at hoisting another SEC Championship trophy. 

I broke my pinkie playing tennis(don't ask), and half of my arm was in a cast for 7 weeks. Plus, if you don't work out your pinkie after the cast is off, it will be slightly deformed.

Brand X Hog Fan

October 21, 2007, 01:33:31 am #16 Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:39:01 am by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: DonewithNuttless on October 19, 2007, 12:03:28 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 19, 2007, 11:56:28 am

i think they meant pounds...

Pel is keeping a chart on each player. They get points for the stuff they do right at practice and get points taken off when they screw up. That's why he threw the comment in about getting to his spots on time, etc.

As far as toughness, per Dudley, the practices are diametrically opposed to what these guys are used to. I think its a little culture shock for them. Pel is not afraid to use some colorful metaphors and enchanting similes to get his point across. I am glad to see a coach that believes in mental toughness. I think that was one of Nolan's strongpoints as well, though at times he was not very generous with praise when it was due. I noticed in the transcript that Pel seemed to be careful to point out a good point about each player as well. I am liking him more every day.

Go Hogs Go!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Grumpy Old Main

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 20, 2007, 03:46:31 am
sounds like Pel will have em ready....sounds like he knows what needs to be changed. Some bad habits were developed in the stan heath era and pel has noticed it and is fixing it. It will take time.
All the best to Pel and the team, I'm optimistic.  However, all this about changing bad habits and stuff is almost word for word what was written during Stan Heath's first preseason.