Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm thrilled about basketball this year, but we could be in trouble next year

Started by HawgAdvocate, October 16, 2007, 01:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Looking over the roster, we're on the verge of being an all-guard, undersized team come next season. I like the running, pressing style, but not at the expense of being a well-rounded team that's able to play great interior defense.

I don't want to see Lary Satchell, Dionisio Gomez, Carl Baker, and Alonzo Lane as our interior defenders ever again.

Look at the makeup of next year's team, FOR NOW:

Beverley, Patrick   G  6-1  180  Jr. 
Britt, Marcus        G  6-2  191  So.   
Cox, Stephen       G  6-3  199  Jr. - WALKON
Fortson, Courtney G  5-11 170  Fr.
Joyner, Terrance   G  6-2  170  Fr.
Patsatsia, Levan   G  6-6  215  So. 
Rakestraw, Nate   G  6-4  206  So.
Welsh, Stefan      G  6-2  185  Jr.

Clark, Andre            F  6-10  205   Fr.
Moore, Brandon        F  6-9   185  Fr.
Sanchez, Michael      F  6-8   231   So.
Washington, Michael F  6-10  224   Jr.

As of now, it looks like we have two open schollies to offer (three if Joyner doesn't make it). If Rotnei takes one, that leaves us one, maybe two, spots left.

We need size and interior depth now. Daniel Orton is a top target for NEXT year's recruiting class, but that won't help us next season. Anyone got any decent JUCO news?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogfankb

I don't necessarily have a problem with our interior. We have four players (though they are a bit small IMO) that can be rotated to fill those two positions.

The spot that has me concerned is the 3 guard. We have 1 guy, Patsa, that can play this position. It seems that every team that plays this up and down game successfully has an extremely athletic 3 guard.

Kilgor

Quote from: hogfankb on October 16, 2007, 01:54:28 pm
I don't necessarily have a problem with our interior. We have four players (though they are a bit small IMO) that can be rotated to fill those two positions.

The spot that has me concerned is the 3 guard. We have 1 guy, Patsa, that can play this position. It seems that every team that plays this up and down game successfully has an extremely athletic 3 guard.

Rakestraw can play the 3 if needed.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

kibster

I think we will be fine.  It is not ideal, but I think Pel is a good enough coach and we will ahve enough talent that we can make it for a year.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HawgAdvocate

Four players really isn't much. Two start, two come of the bench. None of the four could hang with guys like Jemario Davidson, Al Horford, Randolph Morris, Richard Hendrix, or Joakim Noah. Yeah, all but Hendrix are gone, but you see my point?

Foul trouble and injuries could really screw with us should any of the four fall prey. With our pressure defense, you can bet we'll be doing a fair share of fouling. Should one of those four be unavailable, you'd expect 6'6", 215lbs Patsatsia to play the 4?

The #3 is the least of my concerns. I see us going with a 3-guard lineup next yaer (Fortson, Beverley, & Welsh). We last used this when Tarik Wallace played the 3 under Nolan. We were undersized then as well.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogfankb

Quote from: Kilgor on October 16, 2007, 02:02:18 pm

Rakestraw can play the 3 if needed.

I am still worried if either of these two can guard an SEC level 3.

hogfankb

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2007, 02:18:37 pm

Four players really isn't much. Two start, two come of the bench. None of the four could hang with guys like Jemario Davidson, Al Horford, Randolph Morris, Richard Hendrix, or Joakim Noah. Yeah, all but Hendrix are gone, but you see my point?

Foul trouble and injuries could really screw with us should any of the four fall prey. With our pressure defense, you can bet we'll be doing a fair share of fouling. Should one of those four be unavailable, you'd expect 6'6", 215lbs Patsatsia to play the 4?

The #3 is my last concern. I see us going with a 3-guard lineup next yaer (Fortson, Beverley, & Welsh). We last used this when Tarik Wallace played the 3 under Nolan. We were undersized then as well.

The post is a definite concern but I think there is enough raw talent there to get by. Look at Tennessee last year. They had less depth, size and possibly talent (I think Wash is better than both of their posts) than we would have with the lineup you mentioned. Yes in a perfect world we would add another guy like a Darian Townes (+heart) but I don't think it will cripple us if we don't add one especially if any of the guys you listed step up.

I like the lineup of Fortson, Bev and Welsh. I think welsh would have a better chance of guarding a 3 than the current "SFs" we have on this team. But again I think we are thinner at the 3 than post. It is a complete gameplan killer to have a guy like McCurdy out there that keeps us from playing man-to-man cause he can't guard anyone on the court.

Patsa or Rakestraw may be good enough on the defensive end, like humphrey, that my worry isn't really a concern but we won't know that until the games get going and they get some PT. It just seems to me that every team that has won a NC over the last few years has had that 6'6" freak athlete.

Tomhog™

There is a big potential for a letdown in 2008.  It's tough to graduate so many players and keep the level of play as high.  Experience is very tough to replace with raw talent.  Does anyone expect Florida to be as good this year as the past couple?  No.  They are replacing a lot of key players like the Hogs will have to after this season.

The_Iceman

we will need to get 2 SF's and 1 PF-C in the 2009 class to even out everything. Next year is tough because our guards are all short and we graduated 4 Big guys.

Modsquad24

I'm not at all worried about it, we have two scholarships available and with the way Pelphrey has been recruiting there's no reason to think we wont get 2 really good players. I don't see much of a drop off, with the talent we are bringing in we're just reloading, Varez Ward may be the commitment to play the 2/3 in the near future, don't panic yet. GHG!

J.A.Y.

I am not as worried with Pel as our coach.

If we still had Stan, I would be terrified!!!

With Pel he will have us in the up tempo press style anyways, so it shouldn't hurt us too bad.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

FBPLAYER65

Big men are role players. It is all about guards. Always has been.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on October 16, 2007, 04:00:44 pm

Yeah, this guy was definetly a role player, huh?

Corkscrew Dangler

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2007, 04:45:12 pm

When we won the national championship, even with Nolan's frenetic fast-paced style, we still had

7 foot Lee Wilson  C
6'11'' Darnell Robinson  C
6'10" Dwight Stewart C
and 6'7" Corliss Williamson, PF

big men count, even with this style.   

The_Iceman

Quote from: Corkscrew Dangler on October 16, 2007, 05:31:55 pm

When we won the national championship, even with Nolan's frenetic fast-paced style, we still had

7 foot Lee Wilson  C
6'10" Dwight Stewart C

6'10" Michael Washington
6'9" Michael Sanchez
6'10" Andre Clark
6'9" Brandon Moore

2009 Prospects:
6'9" Derrick Favors
6'9" Daniel Orton (275lbs)
6'7" Clerence Trent

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: DonewithNuttless on October 16, 2007, 05:54:19 pm

7 foot Lee Wilson  C
6'10" Dwight Stewart C

6'10" Michael Washington
6'9" Michael Sanchez
6'10" Andre Clark
6'9" Brandon Moore

2009 Prospects:
6'9" Derrick Favors
6'9" Daniel Orton (275lbs)
6'7" Clerence Trent

The biggest difference in the old 1994 players and the current layers and commits is a HUGE difference in size. They have height, but all four of the 1994 Hogs had the size and strength to bang with anyone in the country.

Plus, we also had 6'8" Elmer Martin, 6'8" Ray Biggers, and 6'6" Ken Biley on that 1994 team. Depth was there.

http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/past/94arkansas.htm

mbgrulz

while you overstated the point, you are right in that modern basketball is a guards game.

having good bigs is a big deal, but if you don't have good bigs but an excellent backcourt, you'll win more than you should. get a great frontline and have a sorry backcourt, and you will lose more than you should.

mbgrulz

Corliss was 6-5 (in real life, not in the program), and he did fine. if we can rack up some highly talented 6-9/6-10 guys, there is no reason to clammour for a 7' guy. if we get one, fine. but if not, it won't scare me to go to battle with out a steven hill.

HoosierDaddy

This situation was addressed by Pelphrey when he was hired.  Our roster is heavily loaded with upper-classmen.

Rather than signing a bunch of players right away, thus continuing the same problem, he's wanting to even out the "bubble".

I think he understands managing the roster, so you have a more consistent stream of incoming and outgoing players, rather than having it loaded one way or the other.
"Objective Thinking Lives Here"

ColumbianHog

If it is obvious to us that we need more big men then I imagine Coach Pelphrey already has a plan in place.

razorzapp

7 foot Lee Wilson  C
6'10" Dwight Stewart C

dwight and lee have 'grown' over the years.  i'm not worried about next year just yet. excited as pel about this year though.

14 Corey Beck (G, 6-2, 190, Jr., Memphis, Tenn.)
24 Ray Biggers (F, 6-8, 200, Jr., Houston)
23 Ken Biley (F, 6-6, 207, Sr., Pine Bluff, Ark.)
31 Roger Crawford (G, 6-4, 175, Sr., Birmingham, Ala.)
3 Alex Dillard (G, 6-1, 170, Jr., Bessemer, Ala.)
13 John Engskov (G, 6-3, 195, Fr., Berryville, Ark.)
5 Reggie Garrett (G, 6-5, 205, Jr., Brandon, Miss.)
40 Elmer Martin (F, 6-8, 220, Jr., Memphis, Tenn.)
55 Reggie Merritt (G, 6-1, 165, So., Little Rock, Ark.)
12 Clint McDaniel (G, 6-4, 180, Jr., Tulsa, Okla.)
22 Davor Rimac (F, 6-7, 210, Jr., Aagreb, Croatia)
44 Darnell Robinson (C, 6-11, 260, Fr., Oakland, Calif.)
15 Dwight Stewart (C, 6-9, 260, Jr., Memphis, Tenn.)
30 Scotty Thurman (F, 6-6, 205, So., Ruston, La.)
4 Craig Tyson (G, 6-4, 210, Sr., Baltimore)
34 Corliss Williamson (F, 6-7, 245, So., Russellville, Ark.)
33 Lee Wilson (C, 6-11, 250, Fr., Waco, Texas)

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2007, 01:29:58 pm

That is only 11 scholarship players listed. Don't you get 13 scholarships to use in D1, or did we lose a couple because of something? (or, are they still recruiting?)

mbgrulz

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 21, 2007, 09:52:16 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2007, 01:29:58 pm

That is only 11 scholarship players listed. Don't you get 13 scholarships to use in D1, or did we lose a couple because of something? (or, are they still recruiting?)
still recruiting.

also, we will want to have enough schollies on hand to sign about 4 in the 2009 class. that is where pel will really shine. look up who we are on, and pay close attention to shawne williams, roger franklin, and such. a lot of the 6-6 athlete types that we need.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 21, 2007, 09:52:16 pm

Hence why the following paragraph was written below it:

"As of now, it looks like we have two open schollies to offer (three if Joyner doesn't make it). If Rotnei takes one, that leaves us one, maybe two, spots left."

Bama Hog™

Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Adam Stokes

There may also be some players that will not do well in our system and may have to transfer, kind of like Sean McCurdy or Cyrus McGowan.  It's too early to make guesses on who it will be, but I am sure a guy or two will leave to open up more spots.

mbgrulz

Quote from: ajs15razorman on October 22, 2007, 11:05:25 pm
There may also be some players that will not do well in our system and may have to transfer, kind of like Sean McCurdy or Cyrus McGowan.  It's too early to make guesses on who it will be, but I am sure a guy or two will leave to open up more spots.
i think you are right ajs. i see a few guys on the roster right now who may fit that bill.

hogfankb

Quote from: mbgrulz on October 23, 2007, 06:37:58 am
Quote from: ajs15razorman on October 22, 2007, 11:05:25 pm
i think you are right ajs. i see a few guys on the roster right now who may fit that bill.

Who that will still be here after this year that Pel didn't sign?

intoxhog

if pel keeps recruting up like he has,, im acutlly more exiteced about next season.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

mbgrulz

Quote from: intoxhog on October 23, 2007, 01:23:28 pm
if pel keeps recruting up like he has,, im acutlly more exiteced about next season.

while i like your optimism, we will be losing a pretty good front line that has been through the battles. i think this is the year to make noise and remind the nation who the hogs are.

the best thing about next season will be the 2009 recruiting class.

hogninja

Quote from: Tomhog™ on October 16, 2007, 02:37:37 pm
There is a big potential for a letdown in 2008.  It's tough to graduate so many players and keep the level of play as high.  Experience is very tough to replace with raw talent.  Does anyone expect Florida to be as good this year as the past couple?  No.  They are replacing a lot of key players like the Hogs will have to after this season.

I have to agree, we need to accept the probability that 08 is a problem, but will rebound quickly in 09.  Pel will have us good. :razorback:

FBPLAYER65

Don't underestimate how crappy the SEC is as a whole. We will lose a lot down low but none of those guys are elite players especially on the offensive end. Hopefully our pressure D can be an equalizer.

slopinhogs

lets just take the basketball season one game at a time . What do you say.

there is absolutely no telling how good we will be next year. we may be better than this year,who knows.

we have some good young guys here now ,and more coming in next year. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

mbgrulz

if we sign guys like daniel payne and rotnei clarke, we'll be alright.

if we keep patrick beverley then we'll be in great shape.

we will have to deal with a slim front court for the first time in a while, but we will have guards, and that is the most important thing.

imagine this:
PG - Courtney Fortson/Britt/Joyner
SG - Patrick Beverley/Welsh/Clarke
SF - Daniel Payne/Patsa/Rakestraw
PF - Mike Washington/Sanchez/Moore
C -  Andre Clarke

that team would be more talented, but less experienced than this year IMO.

that is 6 guys for the 2008 class, and i really don't think pel wants to do that and leave the 2009 class empty, or only sign 1. something will have to give. some players may have to look around for a school where they'll play more.

i really feel like pat may be planning for the draft however. that would leave welsh with big shoes to fill, but it would also let us go after another stud for the 2009 class.

either way, pel is the man right now.

slopinhogs

slopinhogs

beg to differ Corliss wwas 6'8 when he was 13 and smashed the backboard at Kimmons jr High.

i watched him play through jr hig high school in person and a fem pof his college games as well.

Corliss is a good man and a fantastic gentleman who had great parents.

mbgrulz

well, they list him at 6-7 on all the NBA sites, and it is known that they fudge a little on most of those.   corliss didn't really come around as a player until he was a 9th grader. he stands about 6-5 maybe 6-6.

chiefsfan

Pelphrey's teams at South Alabama usually relied on guard play with a couple of fast big guys on the inside.  Most of his players were never taller then 6'8"    although I think alot of that was simply because its South Alabama he was recruiting for
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.