Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Star Ratings of Current Players.

Started by The_Iceman, October 12, 2007, 08:36:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

it is interesting to see where the players we have now were rated coming out of high school.
Look at this:

Four Star:
Hill
Thomas
Townes
Ervin
Beverly
Washington
Weems

Three Star:
Welsh
Raskstraw
Sanchez
Hunter

We have the talent here to be a great team. Come on Pelphrey, lets do it!

ColumbianHog

Interesting.

Coach Heath could certainly recruit.  He should be able to get some serious talent to come to Tampa.  If he improves his in-game coaching then maybe USF will be a Big East power one day.

The_Iceman

He sure could recruit, but like you said, his coaching and style werent right here.

PigSooie92

i totally agree
He was sort of like Nutt in that he could recruit talent but couldn't always utilize his players to their fullest extent.

3kgthog

Stan started recruiting more on star ratings than what fit best in his style of play. Obviously it backfired horribly.

So far it looks like Pelphrey is getting nothing but guys that can run, play defense and keep up with his style. Good move in my opinion. 

Cyberhawg

I've already seen a few things that I like outright with Pelphrey that Heath really didn't do a great job of (although admittedly some of it was poor timing). Coach Pel is putting a heavy emphasis on guard play especially guys to handle point. You win SEC basketball games with guys that can handle and shoot above all else. Right now we've got plenty of beef down on the blocks but nobody to pass them the ball.

I believe Pelphrey will do a fine job with this team, I do not expect a deep run in the NCAAT but I don't discount this team's ability to put together a great season on that level too.

As for Stan's recruiting abilities, on paper yes. In reality either the coaching/development was lacking or he just struck out on a few guys namely #4 and a few others. #4 is now in the NBDL (or was at last check) and it appeared he was doing well last season so perhaps the talent was there...just not the coaching to go along with it.

At some point you have to ask the question...is it environmental and has little to do with the coaching staff or is it a case where the coach just isn't respected enough for players to accept coaching.
I'd rather be hunting!

Buck Ocean

Heath could recruit....everything BUT a point guard.  His player developement was awful.

Pelfrey has impressed me with the bunch he's got committed.  Possibly get Rotnei and we've got 3 of the Top 25 point guards in the country.  That'll solve some problems fast.
Think like a Jedi

Cyberhawg

Quote from: Buck Ocean on October 16, 2007, 07:43:02 pm
Heath could recruit....everything BUT a point guard.  His player developement was awful.

Pelfrey has impressed me with the bunch he's got committed.  Possibly get Rotnei and we've got 3 of the Top 25 point guards in the country.  That'll solve some problems fast.

The thing that immediately stands out about that to me is Pittsburg had two or three pretty solid point guards in their stretch a couple years back. Makes me wonder if Pelphrey has already been taking a few pages out of the new company playbook.

I've got a good feeling about Rotnei...I hope we can pull him in. I've heard he's more of a college 2 that can play some point too.
I'd rather be hunting!

razorback903

Are these ratings out of 5 stars or 4?
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.