Started by checkraiser88, February 18, 2020, 08:05:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogmatic

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 20, 2020, 04:31:26 pm
Next season, you are going to have (assuming no more transfers in or out):

6'2" Jalen Harris
6'1" Desi Sills
6'2" JD Notae (15ppg prior to ARK)
6'1" KK Robinson (4star, Top 100 recruit)
6'4" Devonte Davis (4star, Top 100 recruit)
6'5" Moses Moody (4star, Top 50 recruit)
6'8" Reggie Chaney
6'8" Ethan Henderson
6'9" Jaylin Williams (4star, Top 100 recruit)
6'9" Abayomi Iyiola (11ppg, 8rpg, 1.2blks at Stetson)
7'3" Connor Vanover
6'5" Isaiah Joe (MAYBE)
6'5" Mason Jones (MAYBE)

This is the main reason I am so forgiving because the roster Muss is using now is a mess.   Next year is going to be a youth issue but man the next year (Y3) is going to be AMAZING.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on February 20, 2020, 07:16:02 pm
Assuming an inevitable early departure, if Musselman replaces that player with a decent grad transfer or JUCO forward who can stretch court, I will consider that easily the best Hogs team this millennium on paper.

I find it likely that Muss is going to be needing to add a stretch 3/4 combo player this offseason. I think there will end up being a hole there in the roster after it's all said and done.

#1 STUNNA

Why do people think year 3 will be better than year 2??? We will likely lose 2 all SEC talents before year 3 that are very good scorers...

PonderinHog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 21, 2020, 11:57:08 am
Why do people think year 3 will be better than year 2??? We will likely lose 2 all SEC talents before year 3 that are very good scorers...
I'm hoping his first year recruiting haul isn't a flash in the pan but rather a sign of what's to come.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 21, 2020, 12:13:32 pm
I'm hoping his first year recruiting haul isn't a flash in the pan but rather a sign of what's to come.
I just dont see how people think replacing Jones and Jones is gonna be easy going into year 3... next year will be the best team weve had in a long time if Joe and Jones come back.

PonderinHog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 21, 2020, 12:44:02 pm
I just dont see how people think replacing Jones and Jones is gonna be easy going into year 3... next year will be the best team weve had in a long time if Joe and Jones come back.
That's a chance we should all be willing to take.  Also, I think a pipeline works better if it's open on both ends.

The_Iceman

Think about who will be on that roster in year 3. Calculate the improvement and progression that will happen with the returning players. That's why year 3 could be even better.

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 21, 2020, 12:44:02 pm

We will have 3 sophomore guards in Year 3 that were ranked higher than Joe and Jones coming out of college/JUCO. Powell and Williams are ranked higher as well.

niels_boar

It depends on the roster.  New names will be added and subtracted in the Spring most likely. If Joe and Jones return, a lot less has to go right in terms of players being ready to make big contributions next year.  If neither returns,  Arkansas will do well just to get in the tourney.  A lot would have to break in the right direction to be a second weekend team.

Fans forget that Mickelson, Madden, Young, Kinglsey, Beard, and Whitt were all 4+*.  While they all developed in various degrees from solid to All-SEC caliber contributers except for Mickelson, that's not a core that would get anywhere close to the SS as frosh if you were depending on them to lead the team.  You might want to wait till you see them on the court before putting huge expectations on them.  I know the coach doesn't want to hear that.  It's a recipe for false disappointment.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

The_Iceman

Quote from: niels_boar on February 21, 2020, 01:40:15 pm
It depends on the roster.  New names will be added and subtracted in the Spring most likely. If Joe and Jones return, a lot less has to go right in terms of players being ready to make big contributions next year.  If neither returns,  Arkansas will do well just to get in the tourney.  A lot would have to break in the right direction to be a second weekend team.

Fans forget that Mickelson, Madden, Young, Kinglsey, Beard, and Whitt were all 4+*.  While they all developed in various degrees from solid to All-SEC caliber contributers except for Mickelson, that's not a core that would get anywhere close to the SS as frosh if you were depending on them to lead the team.  You might want to wait till you see them on the court before putting huge expectations on them.  I know the coach doesn't want to hear that.  It's a recipe for false disappointment.

Our class, currently ranked 6th nationally, will be surrounded by a solid group of returning players. Regardless of what Joe and Jones do, you will still have Sills, Notae, and Harris in the backcourt. Then the frontcourt with have Henderson, Chaney, Vanover, and Iyiola. If we have departures, you know Muss will be all over the grad transfer market. This is a different situation than the 2011 class.

niels_boar

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2020, 01:53:16 pm
Our class, currently ranked 6th nationally, will be surrounded by a solid group of returning players. Regardless of what Joe and Jones do, you will still have Sills, Notae, and Harris in the backcourt. Then the frontcourt with have Henderson, Chaney, Vanover, and Iyiola. If we have departures, you know Muss will be all over the grad transfer market. This is a different situation than the 2011 class.

You don't have a single proven P5 leading scorer in the bunch if Joe and Jones leave.   There might be one or more there, but it's being a bit optimistic to assume that is a SS roster.  Three of the recruits are ranked 70+.  I haven't seen any of them play, but we would be a little lucky by the odds if more than two were ready to carry much load next year.  Then you have two mid-major transfers.  Looking at CEM's past, one probably won't make it on the court much.  Players get better, and a couple of the returnees may surprise big on the the upside.  Still, that's a collection of green talent, and guys that are used to being role players.  It could all fit together like the runts or be a year away.  No way to know until November.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2020, 01:31:52 pm
Think about who will be on that roster in year 3. Calculate the improvement and progression that will happen with the returning players. That's why year 3 could be even better.

We will have 3 sophomore guards in Year 3 that were ranked higher than Joe and Jones coming out of college/JUCO. Powell and Williams are ranked higher as well.
I dont disagree with any of this thinking... but those guys arent for sures yet.. We will have absolute for sures next season.. Joe and Jones could potentially both average 20ppg a game next season.

logic

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 20, 2020, 07:03:27 pm
Another thing....How is this comparison even remotely similar? I believe those players were 3 stars and how does Kentucky and Duke and other teams with top 5 classes make it with freshmen? This argument is outdated.
Kentucky and Duke do it because the top 5 recruits for both Kentucky and Duke are much higher rated than any of our recruits including Moody.  In both cases, their 6th rated recruit was rated about equal with Moody who is our highest rated player.  We and a half dozen other teams have outstanding recruiting classes, but the recruiting classes for Kentucky and Duke are in a different category.  They may be from the same planet, but they are not in the same ballpark.

Smithian

I am not even going to try to project our roster two years out, but I trust Eric Musselman to keep recruiting hard and to aggressively attack the grad and traditional transfer market.

I won't guess on specifics, but you can sell me on a roster built around Sills, Vanover, Reggie Chaney, JD Notae, Duncan Powell, and this incoming class as sophomores.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 20, 2020, 07:01:13 pm
No reason to get a waiver? Obviously you don't keep up the waivers the Ncaa gives out now a days. Even Muss himself blasted the decision.
What killed CV chances was he got the waiver to go to Cal from Memphis. No way the NCAA was going to give him a second waiver to Arkansas.
I love off season Football!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 18, 2020, 08:05:41 pm
Patience people, it's all coming together.

Depends on who comes back I think.   To me for us to be a complete team we need to be able to score and rebound in the Paint.  We can not be a -7 rpg and more in SEC games and be consistent.   I do not see a big man presence yet on our roster.  Baybe  at 6'8ish is a ? because he came from a much smaller program and he is not a great athlete.  He seems like a hard worker so MAYBE.  But unless we can score and rebound in the paint then we will still be up and down team depending on our 3s falling.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 21, 2020, 09:15:03 pm
What killed CV chances was he got the waiver to go to Cal from Memphis. No way the NCAA was going to give him a second waiver to Arkansas.
I forgot about that waiver.  Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: logic on February 21, 2020, 03:28:12 pm
Kentucky and Duke do it because the top 5 recruits for both Kentucky and Duke are much higher rated than any of our recruits including Moody.  In both cases, their 6th rated recruit was rated about equal with Moody who is our highest rated player.  We and a half dozen other teams have outstanding recruiting classes, but the recruiting classes for Kentucky and Duke are in a different category.  They may be from the same planet, but they are not in the same ballpark.

Great points.  I think for us to be able to beat UK, Duke and KS on any consistent basis we have to be able to keep our players 3 and 4 years so we are a mostly upper class team.  We have to be a better coached older, smarter and tougher team.   I don't think we can beat those teams consistently with Freshmen talent.

Bucksnout

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 22, 2020, 07:30:23 am
Great points.  I think for us to be able to beat UK, Duke and KS on any consistent basis we have to be able to keep our players 3 and 4 years so we are a mostly upper class team.  We have to be a better coached older, smarter and tougher team.   I don't think we can beat those teams consistently with Freshmen talent.

I am not convinced that is true.  It probably is............but I see the possibility we can compete for those same players in the future.  I could be way off base.  I just don't believe Arkansas will always be what we always were, in basketball or football.  Lots of happy dust clouding my view, maybe.......we'll see.

Hogmatic

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2020, 01:53:16 pm

This is how many of us fans see it.  It is going to be fun to see this team grow over the next 2 years.

Hog_One_Stop

If they don't learn how to win on road like Kentucky does with Freshman they want be .

Hogmaestro

If Joe and Jones come back (not a certainty at all....) I think we have Final Four potential. Potential I said. Along with several other teams. But we would be in the running.

I am serious. Assuming all the Fab Four actually sign and come on board.

If that scenario played out we would have some size, more really good guards, and two of the best players in the country.

And a terrific coach.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Hogmaestro on February 23, 2020, 12:01:50 am
If Joe and Jones come back (not a certainty at all....) I think we have Final Four potential. Potential I said. Along with several other teams. But we would be in the running.

If that scenario played out we would have some size, more really good guards, and two of the best players in the country.

And a terrific coach.
if Jones and Joe come back next year is 100% the year that Muss has to put Arkansas back on the map nationally... will be a huge year for the future of the program...

Hogmatic

And a terrific coach.

Now that Joe is back it will help Mason Jones reduce the pressure to carry the team.  Jones will relax and see how Muss can help him.   Joe is the one that I could see go early.  The rub is that the added size next year won't require so much spacing as this year.  Will the loss of Joe hurt as much next year?

rtr

Quote from: Hogmatic on February 23, 2020, 10:37:46 am
Now that Joe is back it will help Mason Jones reduce the pressure to carry the team.  Jones will relax and see how Muss can help him.   Joe is the one that I could see go early.  The rub is that the added size next year won't require so much spacing as this year.  Will the loss of Joe hurt as much next year?
I bet his 3-pt% and ft% goes up to where it was at the beginning of the year.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Smithian

If Joe and Jones come back (not a certainty at all....) I think we have Final Four potential.
Potential I said. Along with several other teams. But we would be in the running.

And a terrific coach.
I just want to get back to the Sweet Sixteen someday.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

Couple of things.

1. I think this team would be a Sweet 16 team just by adding Vanover alone.

2. It's not too much to put on freshman anymore. If this were 1989, I would agree. But AAU and prep ball have completely changed how prepared top 100 kids are to come in and play big boy basketball.

King Kong

If this team gets an 11 seed I think they could get to a Sweet 16 this season.

Got to avoid the 8-9 and 7-10 games. Worst seeds in the tournament

logic

Quote from: Breems on February 18, 2020, 08:11:04 pm
That's a lot to put on freshmen.
Typically, freshmen don't start or contribute much.  The exceptions are top 20 or possibly top 40 recruits.  However, we don't have any of those.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: logic on February 24, 2020, 11:41:40 am
Typically, freshmen don't start or contribute much.  The exceptions are top 20 or possibly top 40 recruits.  However, we don't have any of those.
moody will contribute day one and might start..lol.. Williams might as also.

Hawg Red

Quote from: logic on February 24, 2020, 11:41:40 am

Isaiah Joe's RCSI (Recruiting Services Consensus Index) was #187. Averaged 14 points as a freshman.

Marshawn Powell's RCSI was #61. Averaged 15 points and nearly 7 rebounds per game, with 1 blocked shot per game as a freshman.

Courtney Fortson's RCSI was #60. Averaged 15/5.5/6 as a freshman.

Patrick Beverley's RCSI was #76. Averaged 14 points/4.5/3 as a freshman with almost 2 steals per game.

2020 Recruiting Class

Moses Moody's current consensus ranking on 247 (don't have final RCSI ranking yet -- was #37 at last update in Sept.) is #45.

Jaylin William's current consensus ranking on 247 is #72. Last RCSI ranking was #70.

KK Robinson's current consensus ranking on 247 is #71. Last RCSI ranking was #78.

Davonte Davis' current consensus ranking on 247 #100. No RCSI ranking currently.

I think we can reasonably assume that Moody will be ready to rock. He's a key player on one of the best (or *the* best?) prep powers in the country. Likewise for KK Robinson. If you give guys like this the minutes, they'll produce. Hard to envision 3 of our 4 recruits not getting major minutes next season after having watched this roster all season.

donnie

Quote from: niels_boar on February 21, 2020, 01:40:15 pm

lol

The_Iceman

Hogmatic

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 24, 2020, 11:56:47 am
Isaiah Joe's RCSI (Recruiting Services Consensus Index) was #187. Averaged 14 points as a freshman.

Marshawn Powell's RCSI was #61. Averaged 15 points and nearly 7 rebounds per game, with 1 blocked shot per game as a freshman.

Courtney Fortson's RCSI was #60. Averaged 15/5.5/6 as a freshman.

Patrick Beverley's RCSI was #76. Averaged 14 points/4.5/3 as a freshman with almost 2 steals per game.

2020 Recruiting Class

Moses Moody's current consensus ranking on 247 (don't have final RCSI ranking yet -- was #37 at last update in Sept.) is #45.

Jaylin William's current consensus ranking on 247 is #72. Last RCSI ranking was #70.

KK Robinson's current consensus ranking on 247 is #71. Last RCSI ranking was #78.

Davonte Davis' current consensus ranking on 247 #100. No RCSI ranking currently.

I think we can reasonably assume that Moody will be ready to rock. He's a key player on one of the best (or *the* best?) prep powers in the country. Likewise for KK Robinson. If you give guys like this the minutes, they'll produce. Hard to envision 3 of our 4 recruits not getting major minutes next season after having watched this roster all season.

I am told that KK is going to surprise many fans.

cardinalhawg

Regarding the incoming freshman.

Moses Moody:  He should be a starter Day 1.  Good outside shooter who can score at all three levels.  He plays good defense who has good length to affect shooters and will also take charges.  He hustles well and can rebound well for a small forward.  He is a good free throw shooter.  He will simply make Joe, Jones, and others better and vice-versa regarding the spacing and opening the floor.

Jaylin Williams:  He should see quality minutes because he can do a variety of things, but most importantly he can shoot the ball and rebound.  Guys with his height, shooting ability, rebounding ability, passing ability, and ability to play inside as well, should earn him quality minutes.  He has some guard like qualities to his game, but can work to get stronger on the inside game and on improving the free throw percentage.  He is another player who can make others better and vice-versa with his skill set.

KK Robinson: He would be the most athletic of the four IMO.  Robinson may be the most underrated of the bunch.  He is a good shooter, a good facilitator, good at driving, good free throw shooter, and good defensive player.  He is active and hustles well.  Like Moody he has been playing with and against good competition.   Again, another player who can make others better and vice-versa with his skill set.  I think he will play a lot early.

Davonte Davis:  He has the Harlem Globetrotter qualities to his game with the on the ball skill and passing skill.  Some of this may not translate that well to high college basketball and lead to too high of a turnover rate, but he has some impressive ability with the ball in his hands.  He has good height for a point guard.  He can create his own shot and get to the goal pretty well.  He needs more consistency at the line and from the perimeter, but has had good perimeter games as of late.  He has a lot of potential on defense and as a rebounder from the point guard position with his quickness and length.  He could also play early, but will need to keep the turnover rate and check and continue to work on improving from distance.

To sum things up, each of the guys do enough things well to contribute early for the Hogs with some doing enough things well to play even more especially due to the skills sets that they bring.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hog_One_Stop on February 18, 2020, 08:07:09 pm
Not according to all the experts on hogville
wrong. we agree, beast of a team, might win the SEC.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang