Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's to blame for the downfall in football?

Started by Captain Morgan, September 29, 2017, 06:03:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's to blame for eroding in football?

The Board of Trustees
10 (5.4%)
Dr. Jeff Long
93 (50%)
Bret Bielema
46 (24.7%)
The fans
26 (14%)
The alumni
4 (2.2%)
Kurt Anderson/Samantha Pittman
7 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Dark Helmet Hog

The Boar War

I'm interested in the reasoning behind whoever chooses "fans" or "alumni".

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

sickboy

You can't put blame on one person and say this is because of him or her. There are a million tiny little things that happen every second of every day that play into if our football team wins or loses. Some things are controllable, but many are not. Like injuries. Or a kid deciding he doesn't love football as much as he used to. Some are controllable, like showing up and working hard.

Either way -- you can't whittle down any of this to a single data point.

Kevin

it starts at the top. long is the problem. he sets the expectations, which I think he sets pretty low.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PonderinHog

Ugly Uncle

Houston Nutt.

He convinced an entire state that we are second rate.  He is the cancer that started this, and all the problems are the ripple effect of that.
Retired Radio Host

phadedhawg

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Martygit

IMHO it was the change from the SWC to the SEC - and, although I hate to say it and I know that he did many things that improved Arkansas athletics and carried us into national prominence in many respects, that falls on Frank Broyles - by changing we not only destroyed the SWC but it put us in a conference that we had very little chance to successfully compete in on a regular basis.  Arkansas has not been able to recruit the talent to compete in the SEC - occasionally, we'll have some in-state players come along that will make us competitive, but on a consistent basis, we can't provide or recruit the talent to do so.  When the SWC existed the competition was basically Ark vs. Texas - both programs have been basically destroyed on a national relevance basis by the destruction of the SWC
RIP OTR, REV

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2017, 07:44:33 pm
IMHO it was the change from the SWC to the SEC - and, although I hate to say it and I know that he did many things that improved Arkansas athletics and carried us into national prominence in many respects, that falls on Frank Broyles - by changing we not only destroyed the SWC but it put us in a conference that we had very little chance to successfully compete in on a regular basis.  Arkansas has not been able to recruit the talent to compete in the SEC - occasionally, we'll have some in-state players come along that will make us competitive, but on a consistent basis, we can't provide or recruit the talent to do so.  When the SWC existed the competition was basically Ark vs. Texas - both programs have been basically destroyed on a national relevance basis by the destruction of the SWC
In the SEC we can hang out with the Big Dawgs and with the equal dispersion of all incoming money made via sports, we will always have CACHE' man. We are in heaven, we don't have to do a damm thing and we're still rich...can't beat that with a stick
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

oldhog63

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 29, 2017, 07:54:21 pm
In the SEC we can hang out with the Big Dawgs and with the equal dispersion of all incoming money made via sports, we will always have CACHE' man. We are in heaven, we don't have to do a damm thing and we're still rich...can't beat that with a stick
I fear this is the attitude of our AD. All about the $$.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HardCore

Honestly.......all of the above.  Technically, Jeff Long b/c he is the head of the department, but looking at that list, we all have some accountability to the fall in some shape, way, form, or fashion
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Martygit

Quote from: oldhog63 on September 29, 2017, 08:03:08 pm
I fear this is the attitude of our AD. All about the $$.

There's no question that as long as the dollars are good the winning doesn't matter in the opinion of this administration - the question is "Who's to blame for the downfall in football?" - my conclusion is that Frank and the defection from the SWC to the SEC is who/what is at fault.  Consider the statistics:

in %
Bret Bielema   2013–present   .481   
Bobby Petrino   2008–2011   .667   
Houston Nutt   1998–2007   .620   
Danny Ford   1993–1997   .465   
Joe Kines†           1992              .350   
Jack Crowe   1990–1992   .375   
Ken Hatfield   1984–1989   .760
Lou Holtz           1977–1983   .735   
Frank Broyles   1958–1976   .708   

the numbers reflect the years in which the various coaches coached and the winning percentage of the football program.  I have eliminated Reggie Herring and John L Smith because they're not relevant.  Note that we moved to the SEC in 1992.  Before that our winning percentage was at the 70 - 76% range - It has never equalled that since - it came close with Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino but we have never seen the "glory days" of "Hogs, Horns and Nixon Coming" since we got into the SEC.  That's on Frank..........
RIP OTR, REV

oldhog63

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 29, 2017, 08:08:14 pm
That is his job.
Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2017, 08:16:11 pm
There's no question that as long as the dollars are good the winning doesn't matter in the opinion of this administration - the question is "Who's to blame for the downfall in football?" - my conclusion is that Frank and the defection from the SWC to the SEC is who/what is at fault.  Consider the statistics:

in %
Bret Bielema   2013–present   .481   
Bobby Petrino   2008–2011   .667   
Houston Nutt   1998–2007   .620   
Danny Ford   1993–1997   .465   
Joe Kines†           1992              .350   
Jack Crowe   1990–1992   .375   
Ken Hatfield   1984–1989   .760
Lou Holtz           1977–1983   .735   
Frank Broyles   1958–1976   .708   

the numbers reflect the years in which the various coaches coached and the winning percentage of the football program.  I have eliminated Reggie Herring and John L Smith because they're not relevant.  Note that we moved to the SEC in 1992.  Before that our winning percentage was at the 70 - 76% range - It has never equalled that since - it came close with Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino but we have never seen the "glory days" of "Hogs, Horns and Nixon Coming" since we got into the SEC.  That's on Frank..........
I believe Frank had the best interest of the university. He was proactive in that he saw an opportunity to move the UofA out of the declining SWC. I do wish he didn't meddle in the technical details of the coaches. But, I really believe his decisions were based on what was best for the university.

On the other hand, the current admin couldn't care less beyond what keeps him employed. So, to your point of how does this affect the football program. An "Wins are not so important as other things" attitude filters down to the coach then to the players and fans. If the head guy doesn't care, why should I. Loser mentality. Plenty of dollars coming in whether we win or not. Why put out the extra effort/money if you don't have to. UNLESS, you are in it for more than just a job. Then you actually take pride and care about the program. Don't see that happening.

Martygit

Quote from: oldhog63 on September 29, 2017, 08:24:00 pm
I believe Frank had the best interest of the university. He was proactive in that he saw an opportunity to move the UofA out of the declining SWC. I do wish he didn't meddle in the technical details of the coaches. But, I really believe his decisions were based on what was best for the university.

On the other hand, the current admin couldn't care less beyond what keeps him employed.

I'm not saying that Frank didn't have the best interests of the University in mind when he made this decision - I think he was a wonderful AD in terms of advancing the interests of the U of A in athletics - I don't think the U of A overall athletic program would be where it is now without what he did - However, I do think he made a mistake and that mistake was moving us to the SEC. And, in answer to the original question, I believe that is what has led to the decline of the success of the football program.  Just from a historical standpoint, it is interesting to remember that during Frank's waning years as head football coach there was a lot of criticism of his coaching style and ability much like it was during the last years of HDN.  Frank was a lot better AD than he was a head football coach during the last few years of his tenure as football coach.  He did wonders for the U of A and I don't begrudge him any of what he did other than moving us to the SEC.
RIP OTR, REV

oldhog63

Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2017, 08:34:30 pm
I'm not saying that Frank didn't have the best interests of the University in mind when he made this decision - I think he was a wonderful AD in terms of advancing the interests of the U of A in athletics - I don't think the U of A overall athletic program would be where it is now without what he did - However, I do think he made a mistake and that mistake was moving us to the SEC. And, in answer to the original question, I believe that is what has led to the decline of the success of the football program.  Just from a historical standpoint, it is interesting to remember that during Frank's waning years as head football coach there was a lot of criticism of his coaching style and ability much like it was during the last years of HDN.  Frank was a lot better AD than he was a head football coach during the last few years of his tenure as football coach.  He did wonders for the U of A and I don't begrudge him any of what he did other than moving us to the SEC.
I agree that the ability for Arkansas to compete in the SEC was probably more difficult than Frank envisioned, but the current admin is not upping their level to compete.

LZH

Bobby Petrino's fault, dammit. How dare he go from five wins to eight wins to ten wins to eleven wins! He got our hopes up and had us believing we were actually able to expect to win ten games a year...that we were worthy of a legit top 15 program. Bastard.

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

solitons

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 29, 2017, 06:32:54 pm
Houston Nutt.

He convinced an entire state that we are second rate.  He is the cancer that started this, and all the problems are the ripple effect of that.
HDN wrote national Champion on the board in his first season, and he almost made it if the QB fumble didn't happen in the tenn game, he fed the monster

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Inhogswetrust

I blame the guy that drinks Captain Morgan........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PORKULATOR

You all are, and it's because you touch yourselves.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 29, 2017, 07:54:21 pm

The SEC in 2017 isn't near as good as it was under our former coaches. Don't try and argue either. SEC coaching is bad currently... no Urban Meyer, no Steve Spurrier, no Mark Richt, no Les Miles, no Tommy Turbeville, no Bobby Petrino and no Hugh Freeze. Instead we got dufus coaches like Barry Odom, Butch Jones and Ed Oregeron.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Captain Morgan on September 29, 2017, 11:45:20 pm

The SEC in 2017 isn't near as good as it was under our former coaches. Don't try and argue either. SEC coaching is bad currently... no Urban Meyer, no Steve Spurrier, no Mark Richt, no Les Miles, no Tommy Turbeville, no Bobby Petrino and no Hugh Freeze. Instead we got dufus coaches like Barry Odom, Butch Jones and Ed Oregeron.
Thanks for making my ultimate point. If ever there were a time we should be doing well in the SEC West, with exclusions to the "Little General from Tuscaloosa", it most certainly should be this year, yet we are embarking on one of our worst seasons. I don't count John L. Smith as a coach in the year he inherited a team which was a 'dark horse' national contender with the team that Bobby Petrino recruited. Oh wait, my bad, that's right, Bobby Petrino can't recruit. Yet one of his recruits won the Heisman last year. What a quandary !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bondhue

Quote from: Captain Morgan on September 29, 2017, 11:45:20 pm

We have met the enemy and are afraid to name them.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

moses_007

Petrino--he must have hired a voodo doctor to put a curse on the program after he was fired.

Sivad

1. The hiring of Houston Nutt
2. The firing of Bobby Petrino

Swestwill66

Rzback

I recognize that the SWC was a softer conference than the SEC but it was more fun for me winning the conference and competing for the National Title ever once in a while. Just don't understand many of today's Razorback fans acceptance of mediocrity...
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rzback on September 30, 2017, 06:21:08 am
I recognize that the SWC was a softer conference than the SEC but it was more fun for me winning the conference and competing for the National Title ever once in a while. Just don't understand many of today's Razorback fans acceptance of mediocrity...

The move to the SEC by JFB had less to do with competition in football and more to do with the overall future financial stability of the entire Razorback Athletics Department for the future. I think that Broyles had great foresight, seeing what was going to happen with the SWC and what he felt was going to happen with the SEC. He was right. From a financial standpoint, it was a genius move.

Even JFB believed that Arkansas would be a #8 or #9 team in the SEC. That usually means being around a 8-5/7-6 team, occasionally 9-4.

I don't think that anyone wants to accept mediocrity. I also think that there are times that we have had chances to be better than we have produced. In 2014, 2015 and 2016 there is a strong argument that could be made that we should have won 9 in each of those seasons.

There is a lot of angst among Razorback fans right now. A lot of frustration. I think everyone would love to see us win more than we do. It's just a matter of how different people handle their frustration and what they are willing to give up, just to win.
Go Hogs Go!

Tuskya

Frankly, I thought it was boring to always play teams from TX. Now, we travel to a variety of states and enjoy amazing college football traditions. There's no comparison.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Its a shame about seasons 14,15, and 16.  Agree we should have won 9 each year, which would have been the the first time since late 80's.  I just hate that we dont really have a natural rivalry.  Other schools dont think of us that way in the sec.

longtimeHogfan

I've got a lot of fond memories from our old SWC days.  The Arkansas/Texas rivalry was real and intense.  Hatred was re-defined and continues in my generation to this day.  Razorback Stadium held about 43K fans.  On wooden seats.  With no lights. 

I remember sitting on those wooden seats and watching Tulsa beat us one Saturday afternoon.  TULSA!  They were a rent-a-win stepchild on our schedule at the time.  Jerry Rhome was their QB.  It was my first 'Toledo' experience.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Snouty

Quinn Grovey - he persuaded the committee to hire Houston Nutt.

Ironhawg

I saw an interview with Frank Broyles done a couple of years ago.  I had always assumed that if Frank had not gotten Arkansas into the SEC we would have ended up in the Big 12, but according to Frank we would have been frozen out of the Big 12 and would have ended up an orphan, likely ending up in a lesser conference.  Frank getting Arkansas into the SEC likely saved Arkansas athletics.  It's too bad we haven't been more competitive in football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on September 30, 2017, 07:29:28 am
I've got a lot of fond memories from our old SWC days.  The Arkansas/Texas rivalry was real and intense.  Hatred was re-defined and continues in my generation to this day.  Razorback Stadium held about 43K fans.  On wooden seats.  With no lights. 

I remember sitting on those wooden seats and watching Tulsa beat us one Saturday afternoon.  TULSA!  They were a rent-a-win stepchild on our schedule at the time.  Jerry Rhome was their QB.  It was my first 'Toledo' experience.   

Your memory may be failing you. Rhome only played for Tulsa in 1963 and 1964 (after being at SMU in 1961, transferring to Tulsa and sitting out 1962) and the Hogs beat Tulsa both years.
Go Hogs Go!

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2017, 07:44:07 am
Your memory may be failing you. Rhome only played for Tulsa in 1963 and 1964 (after being at SMU in 1961, transferring to Tulsa and sitting out 1962) and the Hogs beat Tulsa both years.

Hmmm....ok...so who else could it have been?  I distinctly remember loosing to them and I thought I'd never forget their QB's name.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on September 30, 2017, 07:46:32 am
Hmmm....ok...so who else could it have been?  I distinctly remember loosing to them and I thought I'd never forget their QB's name.   

Maybe 1967. Mike Stripling was the TU QB that year.
Go Hogs Go!

aloha_kid

Houston Nutt.

I'd lay it at the feet of one Bobby Petrino. 

Blackdog Hog

I remember being very disappointed at a Tulsa game, early 70's.  We got beat 21-20, seems at the last minute.  I was in the east stands, brilliant afternoon.  Seemed unreal.

Großer Kriegschwein

Houston Nutt.

Lol.

Couldn't have been Crowe followed by Ford.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Blackdog Hog on September 30, 2017, 07:59:41 am

I remember being very disappointed at a Tulsa game, early 70's.  We got beat 21-20, seems at the last minute.  I was in the east stands, brilliant afternoon.  Seemed unreal.

Could have been 1971, that is when the Hogs lost 21-20 to Tulsa (4-7 that year). The QB for Tulsa that year was Todd Starks.
Go Hogs Go!

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2017, 08:04:20 am
Could have been 1971, that is when the Hogs lost 21-20 to Tulsa (4-7 that year). The QB for Tulsa that year was Todd Starks.

That might have been it or the '67 game they won 14-12.  Mike Stripling was the back-up QB for them in that game.  I don't know why Jerry Rhome's name is so vivid in my memory.  I have no recollection of Stripling or Starks at all. 

MuskogeeHogFan

But back to topic, if the move from the SWC was all about winning we would probably have rolled the dice, stuck around and tried to be included in the new Big 12. The Texas teams would have had the strongest lobby in that effort though and no one knows now whether we would have been included back then. Had we been, look where we would be now. Instability for the future, less money for all of the athletic programs and one of the teams looking for a new home with what seems to be the certainty of a Big 12 implosion by 2025.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2017, 06:58:09 am
The move to the SEC by JFB had less to do with competition in football and more to do with the overall future financial stability of the entire Razorback Athletics Department for the future. I think that Broyles had great foresight, seeing what was going to happen with the SWC and what he felt was going to happen with the SEC. He was right. From a financial standpoint, it was a genius move.

Even JFB believed that Arkansas would be a #8 or #9 team in the SEC. That usually means being around a 8-5/7-6 team, occasionally 9-4.

I don't think that anyone wants to accept mediocrity. I also think that there are times that we have had chances to be better than we have produced. In 2014, 2015 and 2016 there is a strong argument that could be made that we should have won 9 in each of those seasons.

There is a lot of angst among Razorback fans right now. A lot of frustration. I think everyone would love to see us win more than we do. It's just a matter of how different people handle their frustration and what they are willing to give up, just to win.

JFB moved UA to the SEC but at that point he could no longer hire coaches due to his meddling with Holtz and Hatfield.

He should have retired much earlier.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

GuvHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 30, 2017, 08:47:38 am

JFB moved UA to the SEC but at that point he could no longer hire coaches due to his meddling with Holtz and Hatfield.

He should have retired much earlier.

You do realize that Hatfield had a new contract on his desk which included a nice raise sitting on his desk in the BAC waiting for his signature when he jumped ship for Clemson don't you??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!