Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Bracketology

Started by Razorback4, March 01, 2015, 02:10:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback4

CBS updated the it bracketology today (meaning after the UK loss) and they bumped us up to a 4 seed in the south....

Squealers

I just don't want to be one of those higher seeded teams that gets knocked off early by the low seed wunderkinds.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Squealers on March 01, 2015, 02:47:47 pm
I just don't want to be one of those higher seeded teams that gets knocked off early by the low seed wunderkinds.

So you want us to lose out?

I want any seed outside of the 8/9 game. Worst seed in the tourney

popcornhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 01, 2015, 02:50:47 pm

Yeah, I'd like to see us get as high as possible.

If we win out and win the SECT with a win over Kentucky, we'd get a three with an outside shot at a two.

Otherwise, I suspect we'll be in the 4-6 range no matter what.
Maybe a 7 if we go 0-2 and 0-1 in Nashville.
WPS

Danny J

Quote from: popcornhog on March 01, 2015, 02:56:19 pm
Yeah, I'd like to see us get as high as possible.

If we win out and win the SECT with a win over Kentucky, we'd get a three with an outside shot at a two.

Otherwise, I suspect we'll be in the 4-6 range no matter what.
Maybe a 7 if we go 0-2 and 0-1 in Nashville.
That's the way I see it also. I think realistically we will be a 6 seed.

rowdy1

Realistically we are probably a 5 or 6 seed
Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~

MissippHog

I almost dread a 5/12 matchup more than the 8/9. 

pigroots

Will likely end up a 5 unless we string together 4-5 more wins. 4 is probably the ceiling with 6-7 being the floor

Poker_hog

4 seed would be nice.  It'd set us up for a sweet sixteen run
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Razorback4

If we pull a 4 seed and get paired with a beatable 5 (N Iowa and Wichita St) and a beatable 1 seed (Nova, Gonzaga, Virginia) then I think we could go deep

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: MissippHog on March 01, 2015, 04:26:37 pm
I almost dread a 5/12 matchup more than the 8/9.
I'm sorry but this is crazy.  I would much rather play a 4 or 13 seed than a 1 seed in the second round.  The 12 seed will most likely be a team that barely sneaks in to the tourney.  Just because some 5 seeds have lost before doesn't mean it happens to all 4 five seeds every year.

hogsanity

Seed is not as important as match up. Hogs could be a 4 & draw a team with two good ball handlers and a couple good three pts shooters and be in trouble. Could be a 5 or 6 & draw a team with weak guards and shred them by 25.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Marshfieldhog

8/9 may not be ideal, however knock off a 1 seed and then everything sets up for you.

opineonswine

8/9 is absolute the WORST

HOGINTENNESSEE

yraciv

Quote from: opineonswine on March 01, 2015, 08:18:42 pm

Yeah throw in the fact that when you play the 1, the region is usually setup for them close to home.

hogsanity

8/9 is horrible. Avoid the 1seeds as long as possible especially this year when there is going to be a pretty sharp drop from the 1's to the 2's and 3's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2015, 07:31:09 pm
Seed is not as important as match up. Hogs could be a 4 & draw a team with two good ball handlers and a couple good three pts shooters and be in trouble. Could be a 5 or 6 & draw a team with weak guards and shred them by 25.

AR just needs to draw refs that lets them scratch and claw on the outside without calling every foul. Even if they get beat up a little on the boards, it is in ARs advantage if the refs let them play.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 01, 2015, 06:34:29 pm
I'm sorry but this is crazy.  I would much rather play a 4 or 13 seed than a 1 seed in the second round.  The 12 seed will most likely be a team that barely sneaks in to the tourney.  Just because some 5 seeds have lost before doesn't mean it happens to all 4 five seeds every year.

It has happened 44 times since 1985.

You do not want the 5/12 or the 8/9 matchup

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: LL COOL HOG on March 01, 2015, 09:17:20 pm

I'm sorry, but I would rather have the 5 seed than the 6-16. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: LL COOL HOG on March 01, 2015, 09:17:20 pm

Six has been the seed I've focused on. You do not get a #1 seed until one round later. Of course, #3 gets the same track as the #6 but the easier teams. I can't see us getting a #3...

What I don't want is to be the weak #4 or weak #5 and draw the badass mid-major with something to prove. I prefer the Power 5 team that is incomplete or has an issue. In other words, I'd rather play OU than Northern Iowa (4-5 combo).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tusks

I'm still pulling for a #3 seed.

It would help if Utah would fall apart and people wake up and stop putting OU on a pedestal.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: rowdy1 on March 01, 2015, 03:57:44 pm
Realistically we are probably a 5 or 6 seed
You're not being realistic at all. You're just selling the Hogs short.

TheRazorback500

If we take care of business our last 2 games, win a couple games in the SEC tourney, maybe some teams ahead of us in the standings lose-then we could say we belong in the top 16 and get that four seed.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hogsanity

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 01, 2015, 09:13:59 pm
AR just needs to draw refs that lets them scratch and claw on the outside without calling every foul. Even if they get beat up a little on the boards, it is in ARs advantage if the refs let them play.

You mean the hogs need refs to let them play rough in some aspect of their defense? I've been told REPEATEDLY that is not how refs are supposd d to be.

alohawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2015, 07:31:09 pm

Good point.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 01, 2015, 10:17:44 pm
Six has been the seed I've focused on. You do not get a #1 seed until one round later. Of course, #3 gets the same track as the #6 but the easier teams. I can't see us getting a #3...

What I don't want is to be the weak #4 or weak #5 and draw the badass mid-major with something to prove. I prefer the Power 5 team that is incomplete or has an issue. In other words, I'd rather play OU than Northern Iowa (4-5 combo).

Give me northern Iowa.  Portis will posterize that white boy that is running that team.

alohawg

March 02, 2015, 01:25:19 am #27 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:51:14 am by alohawg
Quote from: onebadrubi on March 02, 2015, 01:05:52 am
Give me northern Iowa.  Portis will posterize that white boy that is running that team.

You do know if someone made a similar comment but used the term black boy in the same vain it could be considered racist, right?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HotlantaHog

Quote from: opineonswine on March 01, 2015, 08:18:42 pm

8-9 obviously isn't the goal for Arkansas this year... but 8-9 is not that bad if the team is solid, playing well AND you get matched up against the weakest No. 1 seed. Almost every year, a questionable team gets promoted to a No. 1 seed and gets whipped by an 8 or 9 in the third (formerly second) round. And if you happen to win that game, you get the matchups the No. 1 seed would have gotten the rest of the way.

HotlantaHog

I agree that 3 or 4 is far preferable to 5 seed. For whatever reason, the 5-12 matchups have been deadly over the years ... 4-13 seems much more secure.

hogsanity

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 02, 2015, 09:54:18 am
I agree that 3 or 4 is far preferable to 5 seed. For whatever reason, the 5-12 matchups have been deadly over the years ... 4-13 seems much more secure.

Most of your 12 seeds that pull upsets are teams that have a lot of experience at guard. They take care of the ball, know how to drive and dish, and can knock down open threes. That type of team will give the Hogs ( and many other teams ) trouble, regardless of seed.

HognVA

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 01, 2015, 02:50:47 pm

Actually the 16th seed would be worse :) It is the of course the worst seed as a "favorite".

secfan30

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 01, 2015, 04:30:03 pm
4 seed would be nice.  It'd set us up for a sweet sixteen run

Exactly.

Plus traditionally we do not lose as a much higher seed

blacksuit

At the 5 seed you tend to get a solid at-large team as an opponent. You might pull a team that finished strong and is playing their best ball. The 13-14+ seed teams are often weaker auto bid teams.

Based on this site, the win percentages by seed clearly show a break point after the 4 seed. Historically the 4 seed is much safer than the 5. The 5, 6 and 7 seeds are pretty close in success rate:

3/14: 85.0%
4/13: 79.2%
5/12: 66.4%
6/11: 66.4%
7/10: 60.4%

Breems

I love 8/9. It's the only one I've ever seen us win.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

All Bleed Red

Quote from: blacksuit on March 02, 2015, 11:20:33 am
At the 5 seed you tend to get a solid at-large team as an opponent. You might pull a team that finished strong and is playing their best ball. The 13-14+ seed teams are often weaker auto bid teams.

Based on this site, the win percentages by seed clearly show a break point after the 4 seed. Historically the 4 seed is much safer than the 5. The 5, 6 and 7 seeds are pretty close in success rate:

Good Find.  That does show a pretty clear division.  Keep winning and pull a #4 seed!

All Bleed Red

Would love the bracket as it sits today. 

Round 1 :  Toledo
Round 2 :  Wichita St./Valparaiso
Round 3 :  Virginia/Georgia/VCU

I like all those matchups!  Wish we could "lock it in."  Haha

GO HOGS!!   :razorback: :razorback:

JayBell

Beat SC, hold serve against LSU, win one game in the SEC Tournament and Arkansas definitely puts themselves in the argument for a 4 seed.  Like they always talk about with bracketology, it's as much about the games that you win as the games that other teams lose at this time of the year.  All it takes is for a few teams ranked higher than Arkansas to lose early in their own conference tournaments.

I just don't want Arkansas to be a 5-seed.  I feel like they'd almost be guaranteed to be one of the 5/12 upsets.  They happen every year now.

I think they have a better chance of stringing together a few good games by playing an 11 seed first and then a 5 or 12 seed.

GuvHog

Quote from: tusked on March 01, 2015, 10:41:04 pm
I'm still pulling for a #3 seed.

It would help if Utah would fall apart and people wake up and stop putting OU on a pedestal.

IMHO if the Hogs beat South Carolina and LSU then make it to the finals of the SEC Tournament as the #2 seed, they really should get a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

latrops

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 01, 2015, 10:55:26 pm
You're not being realistic at all. You're just selling the Hogs short.

??  Seems that right now, based on RPI and AP ranking, we would be in that 5/6 seed range.  We can play our way to a 4 with a few more wins, or maybe to a 7 or worse with a poor finish.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: blacksuit on March 02, 2015, 11:20:33 am

Great post, spot on. I'd add that 11/12's also tend to be those AQ's that but for a weak conference, would deserve an at large look.

opineonswine

Quote from: Breems on March 02, 2015, 11:40:56 am
I love 8/9. It's the only one I've ever seen us win.

It's horrid.  Pray not either of those.

hogsanity

Quote from: All Bleed Red on March 02, 2015, 11:47:47 am
Would love the bracket as it sits today. 

Round 1 :  Toledo
Round 2 :  Wichita St./Valparaiso
Round 3 :  Virginia/Georgia/VCU

I like all those matchups!  Wish we could "lock it in."  Haha

GO HOGS!!   :razorback: :razorback:

Really? You really like the matchup with WSU with their guard play? And okay lets say they get past that, VA plays some of the toughest D in the country.

RyeHogFan

According to Lunardi's latest bracket, we would be in the South Bracket as the 5 seed playing SFA, then we'd play the winner of Utah/La Tech, and then we'd more than likely face Duke in the Sweet Sixteen.

Paul

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2015, 01:11:39 pm
Really? You really like the matchup with WSU with their guard play? And okay lets say they get past that, VA plays some of the toughest D in the country.
I agree with you.  don't like how we match up with those 2 at all

Paul

Quote from: RyeHogFan on March 02, 2015, 01:29:20 pm
According to Lunardi's latest bracket, we would be in the South Bracket as the 5 seed playing SFA, then we'd play the winner of Utah/La Tech, and then we'd more than likely face Duke in the Sweet Sixteen.
I really like this draw

hogsanity

Quote from: RyeHogFan on March 02, 2015, 01:29:20 pm

A draw like that is MUCH better than being anywhere around WSU or VA

popcornhog

Quote from: Razorback4 on March 01, 2015, 06:10:25 pm
If we pull a 4 seed and get paired with a beatable 5 (N Iowa and Wichita St) and a beatable 1 seed (Nova, Gonzaga, Virginia) then I think we could go deep

UVA is by far the second best team in the country imo. You crazy, gurl.

Not saying we can't beat them, but that's not who I hope to play by any stretch.

And idk about our match-up with WSU. Ky and Beard would have to have flawless games.
WPS

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Danny J on March 01, 2015, 03:41:22 pm
That's the way I see it also. I think realistically we will be a 6 seed.

Depends on how strong we finish.

But I believe we're going to beat USC and LSU and do well in the SECT, losing to UK in the finals.

IMO that will give us a 4 or a 5.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

popcornhog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 02, 2015, 02:35:11 pm
Depends on how strong we finish.

But I believe we're going to beat USC and LSU and do well in the SECT, losing to UK in the finals.

IMO that will give us a 4 or a 5.

That would lock us at a 4 with a small tiny shot at a 3 depending who else loses between now and then and how closely we play UK in the SEC title game.
WPS