Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TJ Cleveland

Started by Arazorbackguy1, March 01, 2015, 10:46:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

I know it's early in his career, but do any of you potentially see him taking over when Mike steps down?  Seems Hawgball is the only thing that's going to keep us relevant in college Basketball and I'm sure his style will be the same as Mike's and Nolan's. 

I know it's way too early to consider, but I scare about who we might get after Mike retires.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on March 01, 2015, 10:46:22 am
I know it's early in his career, but do any of you potentially see him taking over when Mike steps down?  Seems Hawgball is the only thing that's going to keep us relevant in college Basketball and I'm sure his style will be the same as Mike's and Nolan's. 

I know it's way too early to consider, but I scare about who we might get after Mike retires.
I can see giving him a shot....why not ? it seems we need to keep our basketball hiring to "Arkansas Men"....a coach who understands the nuances of coaching at Arkansas...so yeah, I'd be all for giving T.J. a shot to prove himself...albeit, unless something unforeseen happens, Mike will be here for a while
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rude1

TJ isn't even the top assistant. We are YEARS away from seeing if that is a possibility.

Athog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on March 01, 2015, 10:46:22 am
Way to early to discuss!!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: rude1 on March 01, 2015, 11:02:06 am
TJ isn't even the top assistant. We are YEARS away from seeing if that is a possibility.
Watkins would be too old if Mike stays as long as I anticipate

3of5-2

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 3of5-2 on March 01, 2015, 11:25:01 am
It will never happen.

If Cleveland proved himself somewhere else like Mike did it could happen.

Hawg Red

I, personally, have zero interest in any of the current assistants taking over as the next coach. IMO, that would be as bad or worse than the Pelphrey era.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 01, 2015, 11:30:49 am
I, personally, have zero interest in any of the current assistants taking over as the next coach. IMO, that would be as bad or worse than the Pelphrey era.
with all due respect, nothing could have been worse than the Pelphrey era...he was simply overwhelmed by the position....notice that Pel has become attached at he hip of Billy Donovan and that's for a reason, job security...Pel would have to be a HS or very small college basketball coach if he wanted to have the whistle to start practice in his mouth

wheelspigharvey

Yeah if we had to go with someone in the Nolan/Mike tree I'd guess that Zimmerman or maybe Corliss would be further up the list than TJ right now, just in terms of seniority.

Arazorbackguy1

Hence the, "I know it's early in his career" statement. He has a long way to go, but that's exactly how Mike started, as well.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

yraciv

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on March 01, 2015, 12:05:20 pm
Hence the, "I know it's early in his career" statement. He has a long way to go, but that's exactly how Mike started, as well.

Then he has to go prove himself like Mike did. We would never just promote an assistant without an interim tag, say Mike came down with something that made him stop coaching.

3of5-2

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 01, 2015, 11:28:55 am
Let me be clear, it will never, ever happen.

daprospecta

Quote from: 3of5-2 on March 01, 2015, 12:23:51 pm
Let me be clear, it will never, ever happen.
Playing devils advocate here, a lot of people(posters here included) said the same thing about Mike being hired.

Hawg Red

If you think there haven't been worse coaches than John Pelphrey, I can't help you.

Such a ridiculous/ignorant statement.

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 01, 2015, 11:28:55 am

That is a possibility but if Cleveland is still an assistant when Mike Retires, he isn't likely to get the job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rude1

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 01, 2015, 11:06:54 am
Watkins would be too old if Mike stays as long as I anticipate
This would be when TJ could become and probably will become the lead assistant. With Mikes and Watkins age it's just hard to see where TJ is going to have enough time as the lead assistant to gain the experience needed to take over a top D1 program.

onebadrubi

why not larry brown?  he will still be coaching! 

/sarcasm off (watching smu/uconn game)

hellwonthaveme

Unless something unforeseen happens.....T.J or Corliss will be the next head coach here.

PRJ

Swinehart

When Corliss was honored the other day, he was asked the question about someday coaching the Razorbacks and his response was very positive.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on March 01, 2015, 01:20:24 pm
Unless something unforeseen happens.....T.J or Corliss will be the next head coach here.

PRJ

How is Corliss's coaching career to this point?

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 01, 2015, 01:58:53 pm
How is Corliss's coaching career to this point?

Doesn't matter. One of these two will take over unless something unforeseen happens. I would lean more towards T.J.

PRJ

onebadrubi

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on March 01, 2015, 02:01:23 pm
Doesn't matter. One of these two will take over unless something unforeseen happens. I would lean more towards T.J.

PRJ

Previous coaching resume's don't matter?  You're drunk

Marshfieldhog

TJ Cleveland needs to get out on his own. To be honest what exactly does Cleveland do? is  he a good floor coach? Good recruiter? Players lean on him?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GuvHog on March 01, 2015, 12:47:32 pm
That is a possibility but if Cleveland is still an assistant when Mike Retires, he isn't likely to get the job.

I agree with that

hawgfan4life

TJ needs to go coach with another elite program or few, learn more skills and philosophy, become a lead assistant, and then become a successful head coach.  Do that, and he should be a great candidate for the job. 

HogCzar1

How about grooming Todd Day to be a future UA assistant along with Corliss?

1highhog

I know everyone is bringing up names of Nolans family tree of players that have turned to Coaching, but a Razorback that I wouldn't mind seeing back on the hill that would bring good intensity would be Darrell Walker.  He has Coached in the NBA, being a head Coach twice, albeit, for two of the worst franchises out there but he drew rave reviews from his peers while being there.  He is still Coaching in the League as an assistant Coach, but he's been in the game for many years and knows the game as good as anyone.

gmarv

this.

dsims2k3

Promoting him would likely be staying the course. He isn't on the bench for decoration. When the time comes, why not give him a shot as opposed to getting an up and comer. This is a prime display of the mentality that put us in decade of Heath and Pel ball. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

FaytownHog

I want to see what Jimmy Dykes does with the women's team in 5-10 years when this will actually be a question that needs to be answered. So far so good!

onebadrubi

Quote from: FaytownHog on March 01, 2015, 07:19:53 pm
I want to see what Jimmy Dykes does with the women's team in 5-10 years when this will actually be a question that needs to be answered. So far so good!

Jimmy Dykes didn't take that position without bigger goals insight, and I don't think he would leave the U of A athletic facilities. 

Danny J

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 01, 2015, 07:34:11 pm
Jimmy Dykes didn't take that position without bigger goals insight, and I don't think he would leave the U of A athletic facilities.
I could see him being AD if Long moves on.....

Kevin

Tj has done nothing on his own. So heck no
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

root_hawg

I don't see a long time asst getting it so no on TJ unless he leaves and goes to another school and coaches.  Corliss was awful while he coached.  Dykes if he isn't the AD by then

Hawg Red

So much homerism in this thread.

There will be a national search when Mike is no longer the coach. And it will be because Mike elevated the program back to where it needs to be. It will be a much more attractive job the next time it comes open, but it will not filled by T.J. Cleveland, Todd Day, Corliss Williamson, Darrell Walker, or anyone else with little to no D1 coaching resume. In fact, you guys might want to let go of it being someone with Razorback ties.

PORKULATOR

If TJ Cleveland coaches the hogs in 15-20 years, I'm sure it will a success and a thrill for all of us. He's truly a good guy, easy to root for ex razorback player that everyone liked. I'm glad he's on CMAs staff.
Wps
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BatesvilleHOG

If Mike leaves anytime soon, which I don't think he will, don't be surprised to see Arkansas go after Shaka Smart @ VCU. I don't believe we have any viable candidates on our staff that I trust to take over for the long term.

Oklahawg

One of the more amusing threads on HV in some time.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

passinghog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on March 01, 2015, 09:54:22 pm
If Mike leaves anytime soon, which I don't think he will, don't be surprised to see Arkansas go after Shaka Smart @ VCU. I don't believe we have any viable candidates on our staff that I trust to take over for the long term.