Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why does our fan base not seem to respect/appreciate UK?

Started by popcornhog, March 01, 2015, 05:57:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PORKULATOR

If Calipari won the National Championship every year,  I would hate him more than,  oh say....  Gus Malian (I loathe this one) but he doesn't,  so I just detest him.  Love beating him.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Randy Johnson

Quote from: popcornhog on March 02, 2015, 02:26:48 pm
Because I'm tired of our fan base making us look so ignorant.

not ignorant to not care....i'd be more apt to be worried about whether my tie matches my socks....i think it is a good sign we don't give a hoot about them

Pigliophile

I hate UK, but I respect them. That was a crazy good team we saw this weekend. We now know what the best looks like and our players can strive for that. We will meet them again soon and we will be more prepared for the fight

Trottsky

A reporter from Kentucky said on Bo's show today that the KY players were fired up over some chippy tweets from Arkansas fans. The reporter offered no specifics, saying he had heard this from the players and had not seen the tweets himself.

So can't verify the accusation.

popcornhog

Quote from: RazorWorld on March 02, 2015, 04:02:54 pm

not ignorant to not care....i'd be more apt to be worried about whether my tie matches my socks....i think it is a good sign we don't give a hoot about them

From the posts that I've been reading, we care very much. And many of us think they're overrated. That's what was bugging me.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: hobhog on March 02, 2015, 03:32:21 pm
Can you give me an example of an opposing fan base that "respects" and "appreciates" another school? You really expect Hog fans to lay down and say "wow, I wish we were good friends with Kentucky".

Spit.....too bad you admire another school more than your own. Sorry if I fail to do so for Cal and the Wildcats.

Who ever said anything about "being friends" with UK.

I admire another school more than my own?

Interesting take. I have season tickets for the Razorbacks. I donate to the Razorback foundation. I am an alumnus of the UA. I have probably failed to watch 2-3 games in football and basketball combined in the last decade. I have a hog license plate. I have a hog tattoo. A picture of old main hangs in my living room. The alarm that awakens me every morning is the UA fight song.

My only point with the above list is that I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about in your last post.

Notwithstanding, I resorct the level of depth and talent at UK.
WPS

HSVhogfan2

I think the average Hogvillians need to learn the difference between respect and admiration.

I don't have any respect for the KY program for an entirely different reason. They openly embrace one of the biggest racists in the history of BB by having his name on their arena. That being said, that doesn't keep me from watching this edition of KY basketball and calling it one of the best teams I've ever seen. To say something different, after what I've seen, would not be intellectually honest. The kids playing have no connection to Adolf Rupp except the building they play in. If I were a young black kid, I would have a hard time playing there, however.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Randy Johnson

Quote from: popcornhog on March 02, 2015, 11:19:22 pm
From the posts that I've been reading, we care very much. And many of us think they're overrated. That's what was bugging me.

Sounds like you are backing up now. If that is what you meant why didn't you say that. What is your obsession with Kentucky? Who, again, cares if they are over rated. This post seems to be fishing for compliments for Kentucky almost like they were trying to get coach Anderson to say nice things about them. If you want Kentucky hooray...go listen to a Calipari news presser. That is all it is about he said nothing nice about us in the 30 seconds i listened.

jkstock04

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 02, 2015, 11:56:17 pm
I think the average Hogvillians need to learn the difference between respect and admiration.

I don't have any respect for the KY program for an entirely different reason. They openly embrace one of the biggest racists in the history of BB by having his name on their arena. That being said, that doesn't keep me from watching this edition of KY basketball and calling it one of the best teams I've ever seen. To say something different, after what I've seen, would not be intellectually honest. The kids playing have no connection to Adolf Rupp except the building they play in. If I were a young black kid, I would have a hard time playing there, however.
Not that this makes it right, but I think it's important to remember the time period you are referring to and how people were raised with what the different cultures were. Also bear in mind we have Frank Broyles' name/brand all over our athletics program. These guys just grew up in a different era. Ya, today it sounds like a dumb excuse for racism, but I think being raised today vs 1920 is just a huge difference of ideals.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoghiker

Don't buy this either. There are probably a few post by a few over zealous fans about Kentucky being over rated but I haven't seen them. A seriously minority opinion for sure. About the same percentage of people that still think the world works better if flattened out like a pancake. I lurk on several SEC boards just to get their take on all things SEC (man Hogs catch a lot of trash BB is singled out for lots of abuse). Arkansas fans don't stick out in way to their Kentucky assessment. A few Ole Piss and LSU fans still think that getting another shot in the SEC tourney might turn gold. Hope springs eternal. We're fans but most of us, most of the time, ain't that deluded.

HoopS

I have always so respected the tradition of Kentucky basketball. I have always liked their fan base. I will never like the one and done rule and often wonder how the heck they avoid apr penalties with so many kids who leave early. Goes against the spirit of COLLEGE basketball. Their program is being used as an NBA 1 year prep course and I don't like it and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either. Calipari comes off as a slimeball and UMass and Memphis both have slime on them from his time there.

lefty08

For the love of Pete, they are the best ever. Its amazing. They cold beat most eastern conference NBA teams. Its amazing. Calipari has never cheated, people always go behind his back on his staff. He should be celebrated.

There, I said it, now can you please quit saying the same things over and over?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

razobak

The thing is, everybody hates on UK being representative of the worst of college basketball's one-and-done system. I think this year's UK team is actually bucking that trend. Last year's team had a bunch of freshman one-and-dones, slogged their way to an 8 seed in the NCAAT but wound up in the Final 4 bc they put it together in the tournament. This year's UK team only has 4 freshmen on the roster. Yes they're contributors, but the fact that Calisleazy got all those guys to stick around is what makes this year's team as good as it is. Cauley-Stein, the Harrison brothers, Poythress, and a bunch of other players are upperclassmen. Hopefully, this will help stem the tide of all the one-and-dones around the country, because now all these AAU stars are seeing what happens when a team is allowed to stick together and develop some cohesion. Calipari is one of the slimiest used car salesmen of our time, but you've got to admit he's darn good at what he does. Unlike a certain slimy used car salesman that used to work here.

Me personally, I want to battle it out with UK for the league title every year. I want UA-UK to be the game of the year in the SEC every year. Of course, I want to come out on top, but this year we just ran into a buzz saw, and I respect that. I'd love another crack at them in the SEC Tourney title game.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: razobak on March 03, 2015, 06:51:26 am
The thing is, everybody hates on UK being representative of the worst of college basketball's one-and-done system. I think this year's UK team is actually bucking that trend. Last year's team had a bunch of freshman one-and-dones, slogged their way to an 8 seed in the NCAAT but wound up in the Final 4 bc they put it together in the tournament. This year's UK team only has 4 freshmen on the roster. Yes they're contributors, but the fact that Calisleazy got all those guys to stick around is what makes this year's team as good as it is. Cauley-Stein, the Harrison brothers, Poythress, and a bunch of other players are upperclassmen. Hopefully, this will help stem the tide of all the one-and-dones around the country, because now all these AAU stars are seeing what happens when a team is allowed to stick together and develop some cohesion. Calipari is one of the slimiest used car salesmen of our time, but you've got to admit he's darn good at what he does. Unlike a certain slimy used car salesman that used to work here.

Me personally, I want to battle it out with UK for the league title every year. I want UA-UK to be the game of the year in the SEC every year. Of course, I want to come out on top, but this year we just ran into a buzz saw, and I respect that. I'd love another crack at them in the SEC Tourney title game.

/thread
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 03, 2015, 06:15:43 am
Not that this makes it right, but I think it's important to remember the time period you are referring to and how people were raised with what the different cultures were. Also bear in mind we have Frank Broyles' name/brand all over our athletics program. These guys just grew up in a different era. Ya, today it sounds like a dumb excuse for racism, but I think being raised today vs 1920 is just a huge difference of ideals.

Broyles was not overtly racist like Rupp. He didn't go on record as saying "blacks will never play for me at KY" (and, of course, I paraphrased the first word of that quote). Did he share some of Rupps world view? Sure. It came to the surface more on Broyles as he got older and perhaps cared less about being politically correct. Alcohol and Age are the worlds great truth serums. The biggest thing that hurt Broyles reputation on race was some things that came out in Nolans lawsuit.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

popcornhog

Quote from: lefty08 on March 03, 2015, 06:45:47 am
For the love of Pete, they are the best ever. Its amazing. They cold beat most eastern conference NBA teams. Its amazing. Calipari has never cheated, people always go behind his back on his staff. He should be celebrated.

There, I said it, now can you please quit saying the same things over and over?

Not sure if serious.

They couldn't beat any NBA team consistently. Maybe 1 or 2 times out of 10 against the very worst teams in the nba. What the heck are you talking about?

I don't really have an opinion on Cal. I've never said anything at all about his cheating or lack thereof.

I have not suggested that he should be celebrated.

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: hoghiker on March 03, 2015, 06:23:11 am
Don't buy this either. There are probably a few post by a few over zealous fans about Kentucky being over rated but I haven't seen them. A seriously minority opinion for sure. About the same percentage of people that still think the world works better if flattened out like a pancake. I lurk on several SEC boards just to get their take on all things SEC (man Hogs catch a lot of trash BB is singled out for lots of abuse). Arkansas fans don't stick out in way to their Kentucky assessment. A few Ole Piss and LSU fans still think that getting another shot in the SEC tourney might turn gold. Hope springs eternal. We're fans but most of us, most of the time, ain't that deluded.

You may be right.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: RazorWorld on March 03, 2015, 03:23:46 am
Sounds like you are backing up now. If that is what you meant why didn't you say that. What is your obsession with Kentucky? Who, again, cares if they are over rated. This post seems to be fishing for compliments for Kentucky almost like they were trying to get coach Anderson to say nice things about them. If you want Kentucky hooray...go listen to a Calipari news presser. That is all it is about he said nothing nice about us in the 30 seconds i listened.

I started this thread in response to reading folks say that UK is overrated, which I find laughable.

I'm not sure where you're going with Cal pressers and hooray. I have zero interest in UK propaganda or hooray. I just don't like it when our fan base says idiotic things.

I never said anything about Cal saying nice things about us in his presser. Not sure what you're getting at there. Why would he say nice things about us? Who cares what he says about us?
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 02, 2015, 11:56:17 pm

Good point. The OP wasn't about admiring UK. It was simply about recognizing it. Respect was being used in the context of understanding. Kind of like I respect the ice on the roads. I don't have to admire it or love it -- but pretending that it isn't dangerous is dumb.
WPS

WarPig88

Quote from: ErieHog on March 01, 2015, 10:22:48 am

They could have had 4 years together, and I'd still make them double digit dogs to this Kentucky team.   There is no substitute for the speed, athleticism, and length advantages Kentucky would present.

The problem with matchups like this, tends to be that people end up putting '94 Hakeem and '91 Drexler on '83 Houston.

You are out of your mind if you think this Kentucky team could even hang around with that Phi Slamma Jamma bunch.

As good as they are, there isn't anyone player on that roster that could hold Hakeem on the block or Drexler on the wing. Houston's guards were 6'7" aside from their point guard.

I have never seen a player dominate the paint in college basketball the way Olajuwan could. If Guy Lewis were a better in game coach, he could have won at least 4 championships between Elvin Hayes and Olajuwan alone.

Sorry but Phi Slamma Jamma had TWO of the top 50 best players of all time on that squad. This Kentucky team doesn't even have a candidate for the Hall of Fame on it.

intelligence

Quote from: popcornhog on March 03, 2015, 12:28:28 pm
Good point. The OP wasn't about admiring UK. It was simply about recognizing it. Respect was being used in the context of understanding. Kind of like I respect the ice on the roads. I don't have to admire it or love it -- but pretending that it isn't dangerous is dumb.

UK Bench 24
Ark Bench 7

They have more talented depth. Most team's wont be able to run a starting 5 out there that can play with UK's starters. We did. 60 - 60 our starting 5 vs theirs. Its not like their some all time great college players. its 9 1 and done's that use their depth to beat opponents with inferior talent. That's not something that is deserving of respect in my opinion, but Kudos for the ability to get them all there. We'll likely never know if it was $$$ or NBA aspirations that got these players there, but if i had to guess i would say that many of these kids truly see Cal as a great coach to get them to the NBA, so its likely the latter. You've also got to admit, they do run some pretty offensive sets. I wouldn't mind to see us incorporate some of their playbook.

So i wouldn't give them so much respect for any thing this year's team does. I would give the respect for the offensive schemes calipari uses. its exciting basketball

popcornhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 03, 2015, 12:29:33 pm
You are out of your mind if you think this Kentucky team could even hang around with that Phi Slamma Jamma bunch.

As good as they are, there isn't anyone player on that roster that could hold Hakeem on the block or Drexler on the wing. Houston's guards were 6'7" aside from their point guard.

I have never seen a player dominate the paint in college basketball the way Olajuwan could. If Guy Lewis were a better in game coach, he could have won at least 4 championships between Elvin Hayes and Olajuwan alone.

Sorry but Phi Slamma Jamma had TWO of the top 50 best players of all time on that squad. This Kentucky team doesn't even have a candidate for the Hall of Fame on it.

That's all I was trying to say in the OP. This UK team is a historically great team like that UH team with Drex and Hakeem. We could argue all day about who is better between these two. No doubt UH has the two best players, but UK has more NBA quality depth. As for future HOF on 2015, who knows?

But this UK team is good enough to be debated alongside teams like Phi Slamma Jamma.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on March 03, 2015, 12:35:55 pm
UK Bench 24
Ark Bench 7

They have more talented depth. Most team's wont be able to run a starting 5 out there that can play with UK's starters. We did. 60 - 60 our starting 5 vs theirs. Its not like their some all time great college players. its 9 1 and done's that use their depth to beat opponents with inferior talent. That's not something that is deserving of respect in my opinion, but Kudos for the ability to get them all there. We'll likely never know if it was $$$ or NBA aspirations that got these players there, but if i had to guess i would say that many of these kids truly see Cal as a great coach to get them to the NBA, so its likely the latter. You've also got to admit, they do run some pretty offensive sets. I wouldn't mind to see us incorporate some of their playbook.

So i wouldn't give them so much respect for any thing this year's team does. I would give the respect for the offensive schemes calipari uses. its exciting basketball

It's the depth, not the starting 5 that's mind blowing. I don't disagree on that point.
WPS

WarPig88

Quote from: popcornhog on March 03, 2015, 12:48:00 pm
That's all I was trying to say in the OP. This UK team is a historically great team like that UH team with Drex and Hakeem. We could argue all day about who is better between these two. No doubt UH has the two best players, but UK has more NBA quality depth. As for future HOF on 2015, who knows?

But this UK team is good enough to be debated alongside teams like Phi Slamma Jamma.

No they aren't.

I have seen them both. It's not even close.

The only reason people are saying this at all is because of the log jam of talent that this one and done crap has created at just a few schools. No other schools have talent available to them as a result of this. We are LUCKY to have our lone MAA.

Olajuwan played against Ewing, Bowie, Klein, Konkack, Karl Malone, Thurl Bailey among others. That is at least two HOF's and three NBA retirees at his position alone in the college ranks.

How many do you think Cauley-Stein has played against in his entire 3 years at his position?

Denny Crum's Louisville teams could have been a nightmare for this Kentucky squad. They were loaded NBA guard/forward combo guys that would have eaten Kentucky's guards alive on both ends and out run them as well.

All this Kentucky team and last year's Wichita St. teams represent is the drought of talent in the collegiate ranks these days and the lack of planning by the NCAA to stop allowing any of its member institutions to simply be hopping off point for the NBA.

College basketball would be better served to let those guys go play overseas or a year of JUCO than what is going on now. Sure they are talented, but the brand of basketball they play sucks. It is awkward and ugly on both ends.

If they are going to allow things to stay as they are, they should at least go back to calling fouls for body contact on blocked shots.

For the guy that claimed that Kentucky's guys were more athletic than Hakeem, I was watching a replay of the Houston/Louisville Final Four game. Hakeem literally blocked a shot that was at the top right side corner of the backboard from one step. ONE FREAKING STEP AND BLOCKED A SHOT WHERE THE TOP OF THE BALL WAS EVEN WITH THE TOP OF THE BACKBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hakeem got hurt in the NBA and was nowhere near as athletic in the league as he was in college.

latrops

Kentucky is full of NBA talent and threatening an undefeated season, but they couldn't even hang around with a team that in 3 straight Final Fours....never won it?  If NC State could hang with Houston, I think it is reasonable to suspect that Kentucky at least has a chance.

WarPig88

Quote from: latrops on March 03, 2015, 01:14:07 pm
Kentucky is full of NBA talent and threatening an undefeated season, but they couldn't even hang around with a team that in 3 straight Final Fours....never won it?  If NC State could hang with Houston, I think it is reasonable to suspect that Kentucky at least has a chance.

Everyone has a chance. How do you think NC St won?

I guess you think Nova was better than Georgetown also?

It's a game, things can happen, but the point is that this Kentucky bunch is not all time good. They would struggle with our championship team much less with an all time great team.

popcornhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 03, 2015, 01:04:55 pm
No they aren't.

I have seen them both. It's not even close.

The only reason people are saying this at all is because of the log jam of talent that this one and done crap has created at just a few schools. No other schools have talent available to them as a result of this. We are LUCKY to have our lone MAA.

Olajuwan played against Ewing, Bowie, Klein, Konkack, Karl Malone, Thurl Bailey among others. That is at least two HOF's and three NBA retirees at his position alone in the college ranks.

How many do you think Cauley-Stein has played against in his entire 3 years at his position?

Denny Crum's Louisville teams could have been a nightmare for this Kentucky squad. They were loaded NBA guard/forward combo guys that would have eaten Kentucky's guards alive on both ends and out run them as well.

All this Kentucky team and last year's Wichita St. teams represent is the drought of talent in the collegiate ranks these days and the lack of planning by the NCAA to stop allowing any of its member institutions to simply be hopping off point for the NBA.

College basketball would be better served to let those guys go play overseas or a year of JUCO than what is going on now. Sure they are talented, but the brand of basketball they play sucks. It is awkward and ugly on both ends.

If they are going to allow things to stay as they are, they should at least go back to calling fouls for body contact on blocked shots.

For the guy that claimed that Kentucky's guys were more athletic than Hakeem, I was watching a replay of the Houston/Louisville Final Four game. Hakeem literally blocked a shot that was at the top right side corner of the backboard from one step. ONE FREAKING STEP AND BLOCKED A SHOT WHERE THE TOP OF THE BALL WAS EVEN WITH THE TOP OF THE BACKBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hakeem got hurt in the NBA and was nowhere near as athletic in the league as he was in college.

Hakeem and Clyde are both far superior to anyone on this UK team. I never said otherwise.

But that UH team didn't have 9 NBA players either.
WPS

WarPig88

Quote from: popcornhog on March 03, 2015, 01:57:32 pm
Hakeem and Clyde are both far superior to anyone on this UK team. I never said otherwise.

But that UH team didn't have 9 NBA players either.

They had 4 and 2 were top 50 all time. Only 5 guys get to play at a time.

As far as NBA players go, let's put that in perspective also. Not everyone who has played in the NBA has been a great college player. Most who actually do play won't even get a pension from the league.

The NBA drafts on project-ability these days. Back then, you had to have a resume. Who's to say that even half of Kentucky's guys would be top draft picks much less drafted at all if they had to stick around for 3 years like they did back then?

cj_sez

Why do I not respect/admire KY? Simple... I don't have to like them, respect them or admire them.

Lack of respect/admiration does not automatically equate to ignorance of the success they are having this season and that success does not have to translate to automatic admiration.

I don't like Ohio St and have no admiration/respect for them regardless of their success this past football season.

Tripod1

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 01, 2015, 09:29:42 am
Kentucky is the antithesis of what the college student-athlete experience is supposed to be.  There is no pretense about any of these players attending college for the academic experience; rather an institution of higher learning has debased its primary reason for existence to chase glory in an athletic arena. 

What statement does it make when an institution of higher learning says just stop by for a weekend or two and we'll train you for the NBA - no degree pursuit required...

Kentucky is practicing athletic debauchery.
Hard to call them student athletes when none have been to class since before Christmas because they are leaving for more $$$. So your point is well taken.

Albert Einswine

Kentucky has accomplished much in their storied history. I savor the sweet relish that they couldn't field a team for a season in the early '50s because the entire SEC and everyone else refused to schedule them for point shaving and that they were general cheaters. That's Kentucky basketball.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

WarPig88

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 03, 2015, 02:32:49 pm
Kentucky has accomplished much in their storied history. I savor the sweet relish that they couldn't field a team for a season in the early '50s because the entire SEC and everyone else refused to schedule them for point shaving and that they were general cheaters. That's Kentucky basketball.

Quote for truth

ErieHog

Just no.

This is exactly what I mean, about the mature players rewriting the memory of the college players they were.

Hakeem and Clyde became phenomenal pros, and were excellent college players-- but they weren't Hakeem and Clyde at that point, as we like to remember them.     

No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ErieHog on March 03, 2015, 03:11:57 pm
Hakeem and Clyde became phenomenal pros, and were excellent college players-- but they weren't Hakeem and Clyde at that point, as we like to remember them.   

You are exactly right.  Hakeem wasn't Hakeem when he was in college. 

He was Akeem.  (Changed his name while he was in the NBA)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

popcornhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 03, 2015, 02:10:23 pm
They had 4 and 2 were top 50 all time. Only 5 guys get to play at a time.

As far as NBA players go, let's put that in perspective also. Not everyone who has played in the NBA has been a great college player. Most who actually do play won't even get a pension from the league.

The NBA drafts on project-ability these days. Back then, you had to have a resume. Who's to say that even half of Kentucky's guys would be top draft picks much less drafted at all if they had to stick around for 3 years like they did back then?

Only 5 guys get to play at a time, sure. The depth issue kicks in when UK still has NBA type talent on the floor when the other team's bench warmers come in. That's where UK's big advantage comes in.

If the starting 5 were the only players and had to go 40 minutes, UH would be better situated.

Of course this is all hypothetical and it's just my analysis. The point in the OP was simply that it's silly to say that this UK team isn't that good. The point in the OP wasn't necessarily that they were better than Phi Slamma or 1990 UNLV (my all time favorite non-Arkansas team), or 1976 IU.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: cj_sez on March 03, 2015, 02:18:52 pm
Why do I not respect/admire KY? Simple... I don't have to like them, respect them or admire them.

Lack of respect/admiration does not automatically equate to ignorance of the success they are having this season and that success does not have to translate to automatic admiration.

I don't like Ohio St and have no admiration/respect for them regardless of their success this past football season.

Respect isn't synonymous with admiration. I've never said that you should admire or like UK.

For instance, I certainly hope that our military respects and appreciates the threat posed by ISIS. But I do not want our military to admire or like them. 
WPS

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: ErieHog on March 01, 2015, 11:34:56 am
Among the frehsmen,  Karl Anthony Towns is generally considered a consensus Top 5 type of guy, and Trey Lyles is considered a relatively safe lottery bet.  Those are the easy ones.

Kentucky has more sophomores and juniors, though, that are NBA players, than usual.  Stein and Darkari Johnson are probable 1st rounders, and Poythress may still get drafted late.

That's before considering if either of the Harrison twins could play their way into draft contention.

Stein and Towns are both lottery picks in the opinion of most scouts. Johnson in the low 20s.

BTW, the KY game helped Portis and Qualls big time. I'm hearing Portis in the 12-15 range. Qualls in the "probably can make a roster somewhere" talk.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: popcornhog on March 03, 2015, 04:32:02 pm
Respect isn't synonymous with admiration. I've never said that you should admire or like UK.

For instance, I certainly hope that our military respects and appreciates the threat posed by ISIS. But I do not want our military to admire or like them.

The definition of respect from google:

"a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements"

Perhaps instead of respect we should be using another word or phrase, such as "take seriously."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MountieDawg

Quote from: popcornhog on March 03, 2015, 04:29:46 pm
Only 5 guys get to play at a time, sure. The depth issue kicks in when UK still has NBA type talent on the floor when the other team's bench warmers come in. That's where UK's big advantage comes in.

If the starting 5 were the only players and had to go 40 minutes, UH would be better situated.

Of course this is all hypothetical and it's just my analysis. The point in the OP was simply that it's silly to say that this UK team isn't that good. The point in the OP wasn't necessarily that they were better than Phi Slamma or 1990 UNLV (my all time favorite non-Arkansas team), or 1976 IU.

Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Davis, Noel, Kidd Gilchrist, Randle, Knight... Which of those guys would not have got drafted after 3 years.  Cauley-Stein will have 3 years his year, I am pretty confident he will get drafted....
SEC!

Randy Johnson

in the UK the Walker Brothers were a big band in the 70's

MountieDawg

Quote from: ErieHog on March 03, 2015, 03:11:57 pm

Just no.

This is exactly what I mean, about the mature players rewriting the memory of the college players they were.

Erie is right.... Old memories are really fuzzy for some... He said they were huge and had a couple 6'7" guards .

Here was there starting lineup.

Alvin Franklin     G       6'2
Reid Gettys.        G/F   6'6"
Michael Young    F       6'6"
Clyde Drexler     F.      6'6"
Olajuwon           C       7'0"
SEC!

popcornhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 03, 2015, 05:45:54 pm
The definition of respect from google:

"a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements"

Perhaps instead of respect we should be using another word or phrase, such as "take seriously."

That's one definition. Another is to consider worthy of high regard.

Given their depth of talent -- I don't see how it doesn't fit.

Maybe respect was not the right word.

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 03, 2015, 07:18:47 pm
Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Davis, Noel, Kidd Gilchrist, Randle, Knight... Which of those guys would not have got drafted after 3 years.  Cauley-Stein will have 3 years his year, I am pretty confident he will get drafted....

Exactly. Having a junior like Willy Cauley Stein on this roster, especially as a junior, only makes them that much deeper.
WPS

southarkhog06

Quote from: popcornhog on March 03, 2015, 07:57:43 pm
That's one definition. Another is to consider worthy of high regard.

Given their depth of talent -- I don't see how it doesn't fit.

Maybe respect was not the right word.
whatever word means "they are really good and more than likely cheated to get that way" is prolly the right word.

WhatsitHOGabout

I have hated Kentucky ever since Eddie Sutton crawled his ass up there.

It is really simple to hate Kentucky.

lefty08

The better question would be "why should hog fans respect kentucky?"
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged