Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good for Mike Anderson

Started by Chasehog27, February 28, 2015, 05:36:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasehog27

Glad Mike Anderson took a step and got T-d up. He needed to show that he was willing to fight for his team. Saw a little bit of Nolan Richardson in him when he did that. Go Mike!

Danny J

Team really fought hard today. Just no beating UK when they are playing really well.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Danny J on February 28, 2015, 05:37:30 pm
Team really fought hard today. Just no beating UK when they are playing really well.
Not on their home floor. I still think we can beat them on a neutral floor, and I don't think it would take an all-time day to do it.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 28, 2015, 05:38:37 pm
Not on their home floor. I still think we can beat them on a neutral floor, and I don't think it would take an all-time day to do it.

Correct. We just need to take the game to them, not be scared to take shots, and concentrate on making the ones we do take.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

BallHog1

Mike is developing "the stare" Nolan used so well. He just needs us to remain relevant long enough for the refs to start noticing it.

Hambone Hog

I've been waiting a long time for that. I think if we meet up again in the SECT, it will be a completely different game.

rude1

I like your spirit but NO. Not this Ky team, and not with them having us circled because of being the only program to have consistent success against them. They will always bring their A game. I am ready for this bunch of KY players to move on to the next level.

gmarv

Quote from: rude1 on February 28, 2015, 05:47:39 pm
I like your spirit but NO. Not this Ky team, and not with them having us circled because of being the only program to have consistent success against them. They will always bring their A game. I am ready for this bunch of KY players to move on to the next level.
I think you maybe right but I would still like two more shots at them.

Gonzo

Quote from: Chasehog27 on February 28, 2015, 05:36:15 pm
Glad Mike Anderson took a step and got T-d up. He needed to show that he was willing to fight for his team. Saw a little bit of Nolan Richardson in him when he did that. Go Mike!

I was really hoping he was going to take it to the Strollin with Nolan level.

Go Hogs!!

TNhawgfan

He'll replace them with 8 more McDonald's AA
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Thepigdoctor

Agreed. You know, it's sad that the officiating was so poor, because UK needs no help winning games and would have beaten us anyways today...but I'm here to tell you, when Anderson gets a T, you know it's bad. Again, no ref excuse, just saying, there was a lot to be desired in making the game a little more competitive.

al2305

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 01, 2015, 12:46:36 am
Agreed. You know, it's sad that the officiating was so poor, because UK needs no help winning games and would have beaten us anyways today...but I'm here to tell you, when Anderson gets a T, you know it's bad. Again, no ref excuse, just saying, there was a lot to be desired in making the game a little more competitive.

The officiating was extremely lopsided. It would have changed the outcome in that we would have only lost by 10. We needed to make our open shots and them not make everything for it to be close. Hopefully this game motivates us to get to another level to maybe taking it to them in the SEC championship game.

fourpeat

Quote from: al2305 on March 01, 2015, 03:26:46 am
The officiating was extremely lopsided. It would have changed the outcome in that we would have only lost by 10. We needed to make our open shots and them not make everything for it to be close. Hopefully this game motivates us to get to another level to maybe taking it to them in the SEC championship game.
You are so correct on all that!  We made them look 25 points better than they are. I would say that being out of position on defense too many times, lopsided officiating, missing open shots, unforced turnovers, missing lay ups and kentucky playing a perfect game in front of their home crowd...wow, and we only lost by 17?  Then after we got down on the scoreboard a little from all that, we started looking intimidated a little, which made the snowball grow even more. We really do need another shot at them on a neutral court with maybe some good ACC officials.
Never explain yourself!  Your friends don't require it, and your enemies won't believe you anyway.

hogninja

Waiting for MA to get a T the whole season. We just couldn't hit our three's today.  :razorback:

WJBilly

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 01, 2015, 12:46:36 am
Agreed. You know, it's sad that the officiating was so poor
You do realize that we each had 19 fouls and they only shot 3 more free throws than us?

GuvHog

He definitely need to make a point and he did. That no call was horrible.

That being said, the officials didn't cost the Hogs the game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dropkick

Quote from: WJBilly on March 01, 2015, 08:39:22 am
You do realize that we each had 19 fouls and they only shot 3 more free throws than us?
"No calls" don't show up in that stat............

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Dropkick on March 01, 2015, 08:58:03 am

Thank you. I hate the argument that "the fouls were even, ft's were even"...great, after Anderson got his t they called three fouls on UK that had been no calls all game long. A coach shouldn't have to get a t for the game to be called evenly. It'd be one thing if I was blaming the loss on the refs, but I'm not. I firmly believe there is not a team in the country, very few historically even, that would have beat UK the way they played yesterday. They did not need bias officiating to beat us they way they played, but they had it. It's part of playing in Rupp arena. Their fans influence the officiating and have for many, many years. The fact is, the calls were not even yesterday, so both teams were not given equal opportunities to win the ball game. Sorry, I have a problem with that.

Call me a homer if you like, but I've got a ton of friends that are UK fans, I live 5 minutes from Louisville, and not a single one of them said the officials were equal. I asked them to just be honest, acknowledging UK was winning regardless, and EVERY single one I talked to, said UK absolutely got away with more than what Arkansas was allowed to do. So argue if you like, tell me the ft's and fouls were even, because even die hard UK fans saw it wasn't officiated properly.

Hoggish1

We may have that chance two weeks from today.

Hoggish1

Also glad he said in the presser that KY is one of the best in the country.  That pissed off a media guy and prompted him to ask Mike why he said that and Mike said, because I haven't seen everybody...!

HognVA

I look at the bright side. Next to impossible to beat this team twice. I'd rather lose this game and maybe win in the SECT.

Hogcephus

They were in the double bonus in the first half before we even made it to the bonus. That's when the damage was done. Your point is really very dumb. The fouls and free throws didn't even out until after Anderson got the "T" and the game was well in hand.  :puke:

alohawg

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 01, 2015, 01:09:34 pm
Thank you. I hate the argument that "the fouls were even, ft's were even"...great, after Anderson got his t they called three fouls on UK that had been no calls all game long. A coach shouldn't have to get a t for the game to be called evenly. It'd be one thing if I was blaming the loss on the refs, but I'm not. I firmly believe there is not a team in the country, very few historically even, that would have beat UK the way they played yesterday. They did not need bias officiating to beat us they way they played, but they had it. It's part of playing in Rupp arena. Their fans influence the officiating and have for many, many years. The fact is, the calls were not even yesterday, so both teams were not given equal opportunities to win the ball game. Sorry, I have a problem with that.

Call me a homer if you like, but I've got a ton of friends that are UK fans, I live 5 minutes from Louisville, and not a single one of them said the officials were equal. I asked them to just be honest, acknowledging UK was winning regardless, and EVERY single one I talked to, said UK absolutely got away with more than what Arkansas was allowed to do. So argue if you like, tell me the ft's and fouls were even, because even die hard UK fans saw it wasn't officiated properly.

Exactly correct. How anyone could watch that game and not see this is beyond me. It was blatantly obvious.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Razorback2010

I guess I missed Mike's technical.  What happened?

hawgfan4life

Madden drove the left side of the lane and got mugged on the shot by one player with the body mostly but some arm and the shot blocked by another that may have gotten the body some.  It was after too many touch fouls by AR for the game and KY mugging us at times.  MA went about 10 feet onto the court while KY was racing to the other end and got in the path of the official.  He was making sure he got the T.  Camera caught him later still ranting and you could read his lips saying that is Bull Sh**t.

Fouls may have been numerically even but AR was getting a lot of silly fouls that were hard to find while KY was abusing us in the paint.  Still, the refs called some head scratching fouls on them and were typical SEC poor officials.  My issue is the calls have been like this all year even at home.  We get far too many anticipated calls against us and calls that leave you wondering what the official was thinking and seeing.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Dropkick on March 01, 2015, 08:58:03 am

And against every other team in the SEC, and most in the nation, the way the game was officiated  would help AR. KY is just so much bigger and even more physical than AR. I would love to all of AR NCAA games officiared exactly like the one yesterday. AR would be a Sweet 16 lock, with a good chance at the Elite 8.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoglady

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 01, 2015, 04:32:40 pm
Madden drove the left side of the lane and got mugged on the shot by one player with the body mostly but some arm and the shot blocked by another that may have gotten the body some.  It was after too many touch fouls by AR for the game and KY mugging us at times.  MA went about 10 feet onto the court while KY was racing to the other end and got in the path of the official.  He was making sure he got the T.  Camera caught him later still ranting and you could read his lips saying that is Bull Sh**t.

Fouls may have been numerically even but AR was getting a lot of silly fouls that were hard to find while KY was abusing us in the paint.  Still, the refs called some head scratching fouls on them and were typical SEC poor officials.  My issue is the calls have been like this all year even at home.  We get far too many anticipated calls against us and calls that leave you wondering what the official was thinking and seeing.

Well Beard can just look at someone wrong and get a foul called.
Beard spent time on the bench in both halves due to some touch fouls and Madden's getting mugged with no call.
That crap gets old - real quick.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PonderinHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 01, 2015, 07:13:07 pm
Well Beard can just look at someone wrong and get a foul called.
Beard spent time on the bench in both halves due to some touch fouls and Madden's getting mugged with no call.
That crap gets old - real quick.
He definitely likes to get involved...  He's gonna be fun to watch these next three seasons.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: hogninja on March 01, 2015, 07:20:40 am
Waiting for MA to get a T the whole season. We just couldn't hit our three's today.  :razorback:
He was still upset in the post game presser. Kudos to MA for his responses.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

hoglady

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 01, 2015, 07:24:32 pm
He definitely likes to get involved...  He's gonna be fun to watch these next three seasons.

Yes - smart player.
But we need him to quit getting in foul trouble - we need him in the game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hogcephus on March 01, 2015, 01:54:16 pm
They were in the double bonus in the first half before we even made it to the bonus. That's when the damage was done. Your point is really very dumb. The fouls and free throws didn't even out until after Anderson got the "T" and the game was well in hand.  :puke:

You say his point is dumb, but when the Hogs have more fouls than the other team everyone on here goes crazy saying it was unfair because they called more fouls on the hogs.

Kentucky's best player only played about 3 minutes in the 1st half because they called 2 quick fouls on him. If they were protecting UK would they do that.
SEC!

Biggus Piggus

It doesn't have anything to do with the refs supposedly protecting Kentucky. They had an inherent bias in their style, both ways. They were lenient on body fouls inside and extremely sensitive about any kind of contact on the perimeter. Every coach in the SEC works the refs pre-game to be hyperconscious of Arkansas's style of defense. That is why they anticipate fouls.
[CENSORED]!

secfan30

It wasn't what they were calling on us rather what Kentucky could get away with.

Anyone that knows anything about basketball and watched the game could see that.

HotlantaHog

I liked Mike's fire and the team's resolve to play hard even when they were behind in the second half. Obviously a win would have been great, but I came away feeling very positive about the Razorbacks' outlook under Mike.

lribookend

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 02, 2015, 09:45:19 am
I liked Mike's fire and the team's resolve to play hard even when they were behind in the second half. Obviously a win would have been great, but I came away feeling very positive about the Razorbacks' outlook under Mike.

I agree. If AR had hit more 3's in the first half, the second half could have gone either way. Also, I hate SEC officials, and yes, they were more lenient on KY than AR. By at least 2-1. But I also feel that on the road, the opposite is true. Home court is usually worth at least 3-5 points. I expect UK to lose at Bud Walton anytime they go there. Not because of some conspiracy, but because the home team often gets preferential treatment, and the fans put pressure on the refs to make favorable calls. Happens everywhere.
Wildcat Larry

mhuff

I was proud of MA for getting the T. Ky was beatable ,but our game plan was not good. If we had stopped jacking up shots when we were 6 points behind and gone to an offense that went to the middle, we could have gotten back into the game. We shot ourselves out of it just like against California twice last year. Please tell me our game plan wasn't for Harris to jack up shots and for Madden to go brain dead and make passes a 9th grader wouldn't make. We couldn't have drawn up a game plan that would have given us a worse chance of winning. Even so MA has been doing a good job of winning close ones unlike before. Shooting quick shots and getting beat back down court was not conducive to winning. The announcers even mentioned that Arkansas needed to take good shots which they weren't. Oh well, maybe we learned something from that game. I would rather lose that one and beat Ky on down the road. However, I never want to lose to Ky anytime. It's pay back time.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: mhuff on March 02, 2015, 01:19:37 pm
I was proud of MA for getting the T. Ky was beatable ,but our game plan was not good. If we had stopped jacking up shots when we were 6 points behind and gone to an offense that went to the middle, we could have gotten back into the game. We shot ourselves out of it just like against California twice last year. Please tell me our game plan wasn't for Harris to jack up shots and for Madden to go brain dead and make passes a 9th grader wouldn't make. We couldn't have drawn up a game plan that would have given us a worse chance of winning. Even so MA has been doing a good job of winning close ones unlike before. Shooting quick shots and getting beat back down court was not conducive to winning. The announcers even mentioned that Arkansas needed to take good shots which they weren't. Oh well, maybe we learned something from that game. I would rather lose that one and beat Ky on down the road. However, I never want to lose to Ky anytime. It's pay back time.

AR only chance was to shoot very well from 3 and turn KY over.. Neither happened. AR actually had some good looks early but didn't hit. Bell was drifting again, possibly because he was rushing a bit. Portis should've had more touches, but the middle of KY defense is their strength. Not going to beat them in the lane. Ever.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

bigdaddyhawg

Well, we didn't play very well, and that helped them.

It should have been expected IMO.  The first ranked team UK has faced in a dozen or so games gave them a reason to bring it with zeal.

And the first really tough game our guys have faced against a team with more talent.  It was a shock to adjust to.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

mhuff

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 02, 2015, 01:29:30 pm
AR only chance was to shoot very well from 3 and turn KY over.. Neither happened. AR actually had some good looks early but didn't hit. Bell was drifting again, possibly because he was rushing a bit. Portis should've had more touches, but the middle of KY defense is their strength. Not going to beat them in the lane. Ever.

I respectfully disagree. Everyone in America knows that Ky's paint defense is better than any team in the country. Still, the ball has to go inside against anyone we play...... unless we want to get beat. Take our loses or close ones. Go back and see how few touches Portis got........ Now is that our fault or a tribute to the other team's defense? In my line of thinking , you either get the ball inside or find another school to play for....    Once you consistently get the ball inside it will open up the outside. Shooting the 3's right off the back is exactly what I said we couldn't do last week..... if we wanted to win. I don't know.... do you think Harris shooting 3's was a good idea...... Now Bell ..... maybe .... if he had taken better shots after going inside first..... instead Bell's defense made him the best player on Ky's team............ the ball goes inside first before you shoot outside. You know...... I think you have seen this scenario before..... Shoot a 3 and miss; then, get beat back down court..... Be down 15 points..... What part of that doesn't sound good?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: mhuff on March 02, 2015, 02:40:24 pm
I respectfully disagree. Everyone in America knows that Ky's paint defense is better than any team in the country. Still, the ball has to go inside against anyone we play...... unless we want to get beat. Take our loses or close ones. Go back and see how few touches Portis got........ Now is that our fault or a tribute to the other team's defense? In my line of thinking , you either get the ball inside or find another school to play for....    Once you consistently get the ball inside it will open up the outside. Shooting the 3's right off the back is exactly what I said we couldn't do last week..... if we wanted to win. I don't know.... do you think Harris shooting 3's was a good idea...... Now Bell ..... maybe .... if he had taken better shots after going inside first..... instead Bell's defense made him the best player on Ky's team............ the ball goes inside first before you shoot outside. You know...... I think you have seen this scenario before..... Shoot a 3 and miss; then, get beat back down court..... Be down 15 points..... What part of that doesn't sound good?

I think his perspective is solid.

Odds were 1/50 that we beat that team in Rupp anyway, and the only way that was going to happen was for us to shoot the ball very well from the outside.

I think Bobby could have put some hurt on them, and possibly opened up the middle a bit if he had continued to fire from outside, drawing one of their studs outside. 

And, pretty much like always, this team doesn't understand just how important it is to make a disciplined focus on getting Bobby the ball and riding him as much as possible.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 02, 2015, 03:16:00 pm
I think his perspective is solid.

Odds were 1/50 that we beat that team in Rupp anyway, and the only way that was going to happen was for us to shoot the ball very well from the outside.

I think Bobby could have put some hurt on them, and possibly opened up the middle a bit if he had continued to fire from outside, drawing one of their studs outside. 

And, pretty much like always, this team doesn't understand just how important it is to make a disciplined focus on getting Bobby the ball and riding him as much as possible.

I saw quiet a few chance early for AR guys to beat KY off the dribble to the basket. Do that, and if the double comes, make the easy pass for a bucket. They didn't take advantage of those, maybe because the only guy that really has confidence on beating someone with his dribble to me is Beard. Everyone else seems to pull up too quick, or penetrate too deep.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

HawgTrough

We got away with about 3 blatant travels.
WPS

Jamie Jones

The officials caught the fouls up at the end of the game when it was decided. Kentucky was guilty of several moving screens, one of which nearly KO'd Beard. They looked at the replay to see if it was a blow to the head. It wasn't a dirty play. It looked much worse because of the difference in size of the players. But it was STILL a missed call for moving screen. They also traveled numerous times, without being called for it. Lots of physicality around the offensive bucket for UK that was never called.

UK has the best team I've seen in college basketball, since the late 80's and early 90's UNLV teams. And they would have still won the game with better officiating. We simply threw the ball away too much and failed to shoot a high enough percentage from the floor. A team like UK with that kind of "blind eye" officiating, will induce a team like Auburn into a fight. Bruce Pearl is dirty. He coaches his team to win psychological matches when he is outmanned in the physical department. And that will translate into confrontations much of the time. It nearly happened against the Hogs earlier this season.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 02, 2015, 03:37:17 pm
I saw quiet a few chance early for AR guys to beat KY off the dribble to the basket. Do that, and if the double comes, make the easy pass for a bucket. They didn't take advantage of those, maybe because the only guy that really has confidence on beating someone with his dribble to me is Beard. Everyone else seems to pull up too quick, or penetrate too deep.

IMO we have some guys playing key minutes that don't have great court smarts.  The "driving in too deep, or stopping to early" is a part of that.

But Anton definitely has court smarts.

If Jimmy Whitt also brings that to the table I think we could improve in a lot of aspects of our play.

It's frustrating to watch sometimes, but I've accepted this team's M.O. is to win ugly, and that seems to be something they are pretty good at.  So I remember the importance of the wins and stay focused on the upward curve of our program.

But this team wasn't going to beat UK unless they were seriously taking us for granted, which they didn't do, and we shot lights out, which wasn't realistic in that setting.

We might play them better if we can get to the SECT finals.  I think they'd win simply because they're that much more talented and that much better.  But we might make it more entertaining.