Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

HogsonHicks

Quote from: jbcarol on June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm
The more a school has, the higher it ranked. We also took into account the overall presentation of the facilities -- how nice they were, how new they were and whether or not they were all self-contained to make life easier for the players.

7. Arkansas: The Hogs, who already had some of the best facilities in the league, are scheduled to move into their new $35 million football operations center prior to the 2013 season...

It would be interesting to see a complete facilities review, beyond just football.  I believe it's easily arguable to say that Arkansas has the best overall facilities (football, basketball, baseball, track) in the SEC. 

When I read through the 6 schools listed ahead of us on football facilities, I say "ugh" about their basketball and baseball facilities. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogsonHicks on June 14, 2012, 12:11:27 pm
It would be interesting to see a complete facilities review, beyond just football.  I believe it's easily arguable to say that Arkansas has the best overall facilities (football, basketball, baseball, track) in the SEC. 

When I read through the 6 schools listed ahead of us on football facilities, I say "ugh" about their basketball and baseball facilities. 

Only problem with that is, football is king and makes the majority of revenue for all other sports. Embracing all other sports is great, but you invest the majority of your money where you stand the best chance of making more money, and then all other sports benefit.
Go Hogs Go!

CDBHawg

We have some of the best in the league they say, yet rank us 7th.

jbcarol

Also, when the new operations center opens, the football ranking would improve... until the next school sees the center and raises.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

blacksuit

I wonder how much weight they gave to # of seats in the stadium. Are we ranked on what we're about to have with the new facility, or on what we have now? Hard to tell. The top 6 are the 6 wealthiest programs in the league, and we're right up there with them. Kinda surprised that Florida has no indoor field, but I suppose the weather is nice out there.

CDBHawg

Quote from: NolanForAD on June 14, 2012, 12:24:56 pm
Six ahead of us and seven behind us.  That statement makes logical sense.  But I think what they were trying to convey is how nice our facilities actually are.  Look at the schools ranked ahead of us.  Being seventh in the SEC isn't a slap in the face.  You can be seventh in the SEC and still be around the top ten in the nation.

So if we finish 7th in the conference this year, we are one of the best teams in the league? I think not.

Danny J

Quote from: CDBHawg on June 14, 2012, 12:26:55 pm
So if we finish 7th in the conference this year, we are one of the best teams in the league? I think not.
Finishing 7th in the sec is very good...

Sincerely,

Houston Dale Nutt

NaturalStateReb

Obviously, we should be paying the players.  It's clear from this article we simply don't do enough for them.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 14, 2012, 12:14:43 pm
Only problem with that is, football is king and makes the majority of revenue for all other sports. Embracing all other sports is great, but you invest the majority of your money where you stand the best chance of making more money, and then all other sports benefit.

I agree that football is king, but the quality of our collective facilities speaks well for our commitment to Men's athletics.  The ideal situation is to maximize profits in football while making sure the other sports are at best profitable, and at worst self-sufficient.   

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: NolanForAD on June 14, 2012, 12:20:46 pm
The SEC conducted a comprehensive study of facilities in the SEC a few years ago and ranked each school in each sport and overall.  The SEC ranked Arkansas no. 1 overall, and no. 5 in football.  I think that illustrates two things: How good our non-football facilities are, and how close the football facilities are among the top eight programs.

Actually, that was done by the main S. Carolina newspaper, "The State" about 7 or 8 years ago (not "The SEC").  It ranked LSU as being tops in football, and Arkansas in both Basketball and Baseball.  Today, without a practice facility, Basketball would be down a few notches.  But Baseball is still tops and I think once we finish our Football Ops center we will be top 4 or 5 for sure in Football.  The only thing ANY football facility will have over us is number of people in attendance, but we lead in private boxes which drives revenue, and the rest of the facility is fabulous.

I'd have included a link to The State's story, but it seems they no longer have it on their website (link doesn't work any more).

Southpointhog

This is horse crap....been to Auburn this summer and the Hogs facilities is so much better than theirs!!!!  The only thing better would be game day locker room...that is it.

WILL CLINTON

Man, in the comments section the Mizzou fans are pulling the opposite of a Ted Roosevelt.

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

go hogues

I think #7 is about accurate for now. Ours have fallen behind our brethren, especially in areas such as practice fields, locker rooms and video boards.
Luckily, we are doing something about it and next year should move into the top 5.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

dynastyhog

Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

Hog Fan...DOH!

June 14, 2012, 03:21:29 pm #16 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:24:05 pm by Hog Fan...DOH!
Six ahead of us and seven behind us.  That statement makes logical sense.  But I think what they were trying to convey is how nice our facilities actually are.  Look at the schools ranked ahead of us.  Being seventh in the SEC isn't a slap in the face.  You can be seventh in the SEC and still be around the top ten in the nation.

Some people have a total lack of understanding and disregard for context- and I'm not referring to your post. 

Switzer77

Arkansas is right up there no doubt. Really hoping Mizzou can make good on some of the things we keep hearing about.

big_daddy_gasoline_pants

I thought the title said they ranked the SEC's football facilities?  Why are we arguing about baseball?

Ray Piggers

Just wait til our stadium is expanded. Top 5 at least. If not top 3.

Bama, LSU, Tenner, Florida, Aubbie, and Georgia aren't bad though. I'd say 7th is about right... For now.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

b0sc0b

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 14, 2012, 12:07:45 pm
It is an "arms race" and it has been for several years. All the more reason to insure that we have a top notch coach who continues to move us (in terms of wins) to the top of college football. More wins = more money in your program = better facilities = better recruiting.
Well, for the moment, thank goodness that we have some nice buildings 'cause we ain't got the coach part.
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

HG

Of the six ahead of us, only one (UGA) hasn't won a BCSNC.   And UGA really should have with the talent it's had.

99toLife

Quote from: NolanForAD on June 14, 2012, 03:58:16 pm
Haha.  Perfect description of Mizzou:  The smaller the stick the louder they shout.

Missouri will never have the facilities of Arkansas, but how many schools do? But in the 2 major sports football and basketball they have been better the last 5 years and the last 10 years..  and they have done it with crappy facilities..

jbcarol

'12 Hog opponent Kentucky's football players call facility upgrades an energy boost

QuoteThe changes are mostly decorative, with nearly life-sized pictures of former UK players now playing professionally along the main wall as well as a place for the stars of the most recent game to be featured.At the outside entrance to Nutter is new signage, and just inside the door near the coaches' offices is a floor-to-ceiling metallic "K."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

UnBoarleiveable

Quote from: go hogues on June 14, 2012, 02:11:24 pm
I think #7 is about accurate for now. Ours have fallen behind our brethren, especially in areas such as practice fields, locker rooms and video boards.
Luckily, we are doing something about it and next year should move into the top 5.

I'll bet that us switching from Coke to Pepsi products at our stadium dropped us at least 3-4 spots in this poll!
I mean what respectable pollster wouldn't put a check mark against us for such a bone headed move???

;)

atekido

if all sports were taken into consideration we would be #1 by a huge margin.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: 99toLife on June 14, 2012, 07:07:13 pm
Missouri will never have the facilities of Arkansas, but how many schools do? But in the 2 major sports football and basketball they have been better the last 5 years and the last 10 years..  and they have done it with crappy facilities..

Let's see how you do in the SEC.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

99toLife

Quote from: NolanForAD on June 16, 2012, 03:43:25 pm
Yap yap yap yap yap.   Guess what little doggie...  You're finally gonna get your chance to bite.  But till then, by all means, keep on yappin.

It's not my fault we haven't been better than Missouri in recent history ( 5-10 years) .. don't yap at me... we have been pretty awesome the last 2 years but that was with BP and BP is gone.

Theolesnort

June 16, 2012, 03:50:50 pm #28 Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:54:12 pm by Theolesnort
Arkansas's football facilities are better than 7th by a good margin. These guys are judging by the total # the stadium holds and the fact we need the football center right now. SC doesn't practice in a field any better than what I practiced in as a boy. A couple of years ago I watched them practice in the spring. Arkansas's weight room is as good as anyone has including the pros.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 16, 2012, 03:50:50 pm
Arkansas's football facilities are better than 7th by a good margin. These guys are judging by the total # the stadium holds and the fact we need the football center right now. SC doesn't practice in a field any better than I practiced in as a boy a couple of years ago. Arkansas's weight room is as good as anyone has including the pros.

Thank you. How can it be said that we have some of the best in the league, then rank us seventh. 

99toLife

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 16, 2012, 03:50:50 pm
Arkansas's football facilities are better than 7th by a good margin. These guys are judging by the total # the stadium holds and the fact we need the football center right now. SC doesn't practice in a field any better than what I practiced in as a boy. A couple of years ago I watched them practice in the spring. Arkansas's weight room is as good as anyone has including the pros.

I agree, this ranking is half stupid, If they go by how many seats is better that's ridiculous.  Overall Arkansas has some of the best facililties in the nation..

Theolesnort

Quote from: CDBHawg on June 16, 2012, 03:52:45 pm
Thank you. How can it be said that we have some of the best in the league, then rank us seventh. 
Just like some supposed to be objective people rank our recruiting classes 10TH or worse in the league when it is nothing more than conjecture on their part. We are still  the red headed step child to them in the SEC. It is perception and SC and even Texas A&M will pass us in their eyes because no matter, they just look down their nose at us. How do those tenth ranked on average recruiting classes look now. I can't think of a Razorback squad that looked this well entering a season with the possible exception of the 78 Lou Holtz squad. I think some gurus screwed up.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 16, 2012, 04:06:07 pm
Just like some supposed to be objective people rank our recruiting classes 10TH or worse in the league when it is nothing more than conjecture on their part. We are still  the red headed step child to them in the SEC. It is perception and SC and even Texas A&M will pass us in their eyes because no matter, they just look down their nose at us. How do those tenth ranked on average recruiting classes look now. I can't think of a Razorback squad that looked this well entering a season with the possible exception of the 78 Lou Holtz squad. I think some gurus screwed up.

Tis' true.

IronHog

Quote from: Shag66 on June 14, 2012, 03:52:12 pm
LSU competes with us across the board but other than them I can't think of anyone else who has facilities even close to ours in the big three and when you consider ALL sports we have got to be far ahead.

If Arkansas wants to win a SEC championship they need to spend more on football and less on other sports.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

CDBHawg

Quote from: IronHog on June 16, 2012, 04:14:36 pm

If Arkansas wants to win a SEC championship they need to spend more on football and less on other sports.

I'd take it a step further and say do away with Title IX.

Hog_Fink

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: UnBoarleiveable on June 15, 2012, 03:39:27 pm
I'll bet that us switching from Coke to Pepsi products at our stadium dropped us at least 3-4 spots in this poll!
I mean what respectable pollster wouldn't put a check mark against us for such a bone headed move???

;)

I actually prefer Pepsi! Lol
Let's make some waves.

deblaylock06

Auburn #5???  they have sports other than football??

deblaylock06

I'm convinced they are basing this off nothing more than Football facilities.  Otherwise we'd be further up on the list.  We are an all around sports program.  We have top shelf facilities for EVERY sport not just 1 like some of these schools. 

Plus...if they want to count seats, we have about 127,000 seats and can fit about 130,000 into our football stadiumS.  100,000 ain't darn

Hogfaniam

Re: ESPN ranks the SEC's football facilities

yeah, its football only.

i'd be willing to bet Low never left Knoxville for this article.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Arkapigdiesel

You can be seventh in the SEC and still be around the top ten in the nation.

I concur.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

HG

Quote from: deblaylock06 on June 16, 2012, 08:51:53 pm
Auburn #5???  they have sports other than football??

Not since Charles Barkley ate the entire basketball team right before the NBA draft.

HamHands

Quote from: CDBHawg on June 14, 2012, 12:16:45 pm
We have some of the best in the league they say, yet rank us 7th.

I thought that was odd too. If we already had some of the best in the league and are improving on that, how do we fall into the middle of the pack? What does Arkansas have to do to move into the top four or five in the league? Get black uni's?
One day at a time.

jbcarol

QuoteBelow is [ESPN SEC Blog's] best effort at ranking the football facilities in the SEC, and when we say facilities, we're including the stadium, locker room, weight room, training room, team meeting room, indoor practice complex, coaches' offices and academic learning center into the equation.

The more a school has, the higher it ranked. We also took into account the overall presentation of the facilities -- how nice they were, how new they were and whether or not they were all self-contained to make life easier for the players.

jbcarol

99toLife

Quote from: jbcarol on June 26, 2012, 03:20:54 pm
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/45271/mizzou-looking-to-expand-stadium

That's a good link. We have a tendancy on Hogville to worry about numbers of seats.
Faurot field can be a crazy place and it holds about the same amount that RRS seats, but the design makes it louder when full of people. No one is saying it's LSU or any big SEC atmosphere, but it's at least every bit as loud as razorback stadium.

jbcarol

jbcarol

courtesy of the University of Missouri Athletic Department