Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#7 Iowa scores on 4th down....

Started by Hot_Town_Hog, October 24, 2009, 09:24:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Town_Hog

This year is setting up to be a prime example of why we need a playoff system.

jman

The BCS just makes everyone argue about who should be in....it doesnt really solve the problem of making sure the best two teams play for the title.   only a true playoff system can decide that where it should be decided.....on the field of play

JoePaul03

Quote from: jman on October 25, 2009, 12:49:32 am
I know that in Tim Tebows soph year, the lowly big 10's Michigan put a whipping on Florida in a bowl game. 

True, but you can't name many times that's happened. I can go on for days about all the times the Big Ten has gotten beaten in big bowl games. They haven't won a Rose Bowl since 2001 and I think OSU alone is like 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games.

I'm telling ya, the only seperation between the big 10 and the Sec right now is at the top.......bama and florida would whip everyone in the big 10 this year.....Iowa, Ohio st., Penn st. and Michigan would beat just about any other SEC team this year

I'll take my chancees with LSU, the third best team in the SEC, against any Big Ten team. Heck, the way South Carolina plays D, I might even take them over most Big Ten teams.

I do agree that the only way any of this will ever be settled is a playoff, though.
WCOB, 2003

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: jman on October 25, 2009, 01:00:43 am
The BCS just makes everyone argue about who should be in....it doesnt really solve the problem of making sure the best two teams play for the title.   only a true playoff system can decide that where it should be decided.....on the field of play

Too many $'s involved to drop the current bowl system. The bowls would have to be included in the playoff. Also don't think we will see it expanded beyond 8 if anything ever happens.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: JoePaul03 on October 24, 2009, 11:49:10 pm
Boise thrashed Oregon, who is the Pac10 co-leader at this point, with a chance to win the conference. And their (Oregon) two toughest games left are at home (USC, OSU), so there's a good chance Boise will have beaten the Pac10 champs.

If they play that game again now, Oregon would beat Boise.

I think TCU is the best non-BCS team.

JoePaul03

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 25, 2009, 01:33:15 am
If they play that game again now, Oregon would beat Boise.

I think TCU is the best non-BCS team.

Maybe, maybe not. They can't have a do-over, though. They both had an equal opportunity to make a statement on the opening weekend, and Boise just beat them. If people (not you, but just people in general) want to go that route and play the "well, so and so could/would beat so and so" without respect to the games that were actually played, why even bother playing games?

Besides...They've played twice in two years and Boise won both games over Oregon by a cumulative score of 56-40, so I'm not sure how you can be so positive that Oregon would be them next Saturday?
WCOB, 2003

JoePaul03

WCOB, 2003

HiggiePiggy

if it were to finish out 

Florida/Alabama whichever is undefeated

Texas  even though I don't agree with it because Oklahoma would be there biggest win when all said and done  and they will have probably 4 losses.

Iowa IMO should be 3rd but wouldn't be because everyone wants to think that the Big 12 is better then the Big 10  sorry but they are about the same if not a little worse.

Cincy  because they will have had some wins over teams that are overrated but because they play in a weak (BCS conference) is why they will be ahead of Boise State and TCU.

TCU because they will have a tougher strength of schedule over Boise State.

and then

Boise State   sorry but beating Oregon on you home field and then beating a combined record of 17 and 27 record of the teams that they have played after that doesn't hold up well at all.

Boise State wont get in because of the remainder of there schedule  and I would not be surprised if there were about 5 or 6 1 loss teams that would jump over them because of there schedule.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawkhog

look Iowa wins the games the old-fashion way...

1. they dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball
2. their defense is punishing
3. they dont beat themselves with turnovers or penalties
4. and as a result by the end of the game (4th qtr) the other teams usually have given up

iowa plays in a bowl game most every year and has beaten SEC schools most every year that they get a chance too...South Carolina last year and LSU a few years ago.
I know they're not flashy or as athletic as most SEC schools but they are 8-0 and thats what matters most...and number 3 in the computer polls.

2009 Outback: Iowa 31, South Carolina 10
2006 Alamo: Texas 26, Iowa 24
2006 Outback: Florida 31, Iowa 24
2005 Capital One: Iowa 30, LSU 25
2004 Outback: Iowa 37, Florida 17

hawkhog

that's the fact jack...

I know that in Tim Tebows soph year, the lowly big 10's Michigan put a whipping on Florida in a bowl game.  I'm telling ya, the only seperation between the big 10 and the Sec right now is at the top.......bama and florida would whip everyone in the big 10 this year.....Iowa, Ohio st., Penn st. and Michigan would beat just about any other SEC team this year

JDDC

Quote from: JoePaul03 on October 24, 2009, 11:41:02 pm
Look, I love the SEC and think we're the best conference going...But have you seen some of the dumpster-fire type performances some SEC teams have turned in in some games this year? If us and Auburn played the way we played this weekend and Cincy played the way they did, they stomp a mudhole in us and then walk it dry. That's two SEC wins. Throw in any combo of MSU, UGA, TN, Kentucky, and Ole Miss and you think they couldn't win two of those games, especially if they got to play them at home? Come on man.

Arkansas State and N. Iowa nearly beat Iowa AT HOME.  Iowa would be lucky to be 4-3 with our schedule.  Hell, any team would be lucky to be 4-3 with our schedule. 

JoePaul03

Quote from: JDDC on October 25, 2009, 11:13:39 am
Arkansas State and N. Iowa nearly beat Iowa AT HOME.  Iowa would be lucky to be 4-3 with our schedule.  Hell, any team would be lucky to be 4-3 with our schedule. 

Please read the whole thread, walk-on. I was defending Boise, TCU, Cincy, and the non-power conference schools. At no point was I ever defending Iowa specifically or the Big Ten in general. In fact, I spent a few posts making it pretty clear how I felt about Iowa and the Big Ten. I think the Big Ten is about a half-step above the Mountain West and I think Iowa is fraudiest fraud of all the undefeated teams left.
WCOB, 2003