Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#7 Iowa scores on 4th down....

Started by Hot_Town_Hog, October 24, 2009, 09:24:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Town_Hog

with 2 seconds left to beat MSU. Talk about the most over-rated team in the Country! Ark St almost beat them.

Hog Waller

Yep, Frauds, just like the BCS and the pollsters who rank'em.

returntoglory

Almost as bad as the team that (according to its fans) was supposed to beat Ole Miss by 3+ tds today.

3kgthog

I wish we were frauds like Iowa right now.

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

MS Razorback

I'm driving the Iowa bandwagon... Feel free to jump aboard.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: MS Razorback on October 24, 2009, 09:30:58 pm
I'm driving the Iowa bandwagon... Feel free to jump aboard.

It's on 3 wheels at the most. Should have lost their first game to Northern Iowa, but they missed the winning FG. If they are a Top 10 team, there are some really bad teams out there.

codeHog

JoePaul03

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on October 24, 2009, 09:36:19 pm
It's on 3 wheels at the most. Should have lost their first game to Northern Iowa, but they missed the winning FG. If they are a Top 10 team, there are some really bad teams out there.

I almost hope they go thru undefeated and get to play Texas or the SEC Champ in the NC game.

Nothing like watching a B10 team get hammered in a big bowl game to ring in the first week of the new year. And make no mistake...If they end up playing UF, Bama, or Texas......They will get hammered.
WCOB, 2003

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

The Hawkeyes may be overrated, but 8-0 is a lot better than 3-4.

That really was an incredible finish to that game.  Made my day less crappy to know at least one of my teams is winning games.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on October 24, 2009, 09:44:36 pm
The Hawkeyes may be overrated, but 8-0 is a lot better than 3-4.

That really was an incredible finish to that game.  Made my day less crappy to know at least one of my teams is winning games.

No argument on that comparison, and congrats if you have a team winning. However, I think Boise St and TCU would dominate Iowa, and won't even say what Florida/Bama or Texas will do to them.

Hog Waller

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on October 24, 2009, 09:47:45 pm
No argument on that comparison, and congrats if you have a team winning. However, I think Boise St and TCU would dominate Iowa, and won't even say what Florida/Bama or Texas will do to them.

Agree.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on October 24, 2009, 09:47:45 pm

You won't hear any argument from me on that.  I've always thought the big ten was overrated.  But I go to school at Iowa so I do hope they keep winning.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

JoePaul03

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on October 24, 2009, 09:52:19 pm
You won't hear any argument from me on that.  I've always thought the big ten was overrated.  But I go to school at Iowa so I do hope they keep winning.

It seems like Iowa is less "Yankee Snob" than every other school in the B10, so I'd like to see them win that conference as much as anyone.
WCOB, 2003

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on October 24, 2009, 09:52:19 pm

Don't blame you at all...I would do the same thing. As the last poster said, I would rather Iowa win the Big 10 than one of the others.

Just think the BCS is sitting up for an interesting year. TCU and Boise St have to get some love with the blow-out of BYU and BSU's blow-out of potential PAC 10 champ Oregon.

hawgfan80

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on October 24, 2009, 09:24:17 pm
with 2 seconds left to beat MSU. Talk about the most over-rated team in the Country! Ark St almost beat them.

Everyone is overrated.  Every time I think a team is overrated, I then see the teams ahead of them stumble and realize that they are overrated as well.

Iowa is where they belong until they get beat.  We've got freakin' Boise and Cincy in the Top 5, for God's sake.

JoePaul03

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 24, 2009, 11:02:26 pm
We've got freakin' Boise and Cincy in the Top 5, for God's sake.

And the craziest thing is, from what I've seen so far this season, I think they're totally justified in being up there. Especially the Bearcats.
WCOB, 2003

IndyHog76

Until recently, I lived in Big Ten land for four years and HATE the Big Ten.  However, I think Iowa is the only good Big Ten team and actually (though their offense was less than stellar tonight) has a chance at playing for the championship this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: JoePaul03 on October 24, 2009, 11:03:33 pm
And the craziest thing is, from what I've seen so far this season, I think they're totally justified in being up there. Especially the Bearcats.

If cincy played in the SEC or even the big 12 or big 10 they would be .500.  The big least is pathetic.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JoePaul03

Quote from: IndyHog76 on October 24, 2009, 11:06:36 pm
Until recently, I lived in Big Ten land for four years and HATE the Big Ten.  However, I think Iowa is the only good Big Ten team and actually (though their offense was less than stellar tonight) has a chance at playing for the championship this year.

They better win out and hope the SEC champ and Big 12 champ have two losses, and hope that Cincy and Boise State (and maybe even TCU) loses, because Iowa's doggie poo schedule isn't going to let them jump over any of them if they're undefeated, or, in the SEC/Big 12 champ's case, has only one loss.
WCOB, 2003

jman

October 24, 2009, 11:14:55 pm #21 Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:26:23 pm by jman
Iowa is becoming scary....like a team of destiny.   They remind me of the 2002 Ohio St. team led by Krenzl.
  Let me put this in perspective.  If Iowa is undefeated, they'll trump any argument TCU or Boise has.  They'll get the nod over a 1 loss USC, especially if Iowa spanks Ohio St.   If Texas slips up and loses, Iowa will get the nod over them too.  Right now, there are basically 4 teams that have a shot at the National Championship.

Alabama, Florida, Iowa and Texas.  The SECCG will eliminate one.  If texas slips up and Iowa wins out, it will be Iowa vs the SEC champ in the BCS title game.  Only way USC gets in is if Texas and Iowa both lose, then USC would be in.  TCU and Boise have no shot at making the title game over any 1 loss team from a major conference, just aint happening.  If TCU and Boise would make regular non conference visits to Big 12 and SEC country, they wouldnt have to worry about getting into the BCS mix.......they'd each have several loses

IndyHog76

Any Iowa fan should have been cheering for Mississippi State or TN tonight.  Trust me, I could care less if they are successful, I just think that they have a shot (even more so than Boise or Cincy - if they beat Ohio State) of playing for a National Championship.

Quote from: JoePaul03 on October 24, 2009, 11:10:25 pm
They better win out and hope the SEC champ and Big 12 champ have two losses, and hope that Cincy and Boise State (and maybe even TCU) loses, because Iowa's doggie poo schedule isn't going to let them jump over any of them if they're undefeated, or, in the SEC/Big 12 champ's case, has only one loss.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 24, 2009, 11:02:26 pm
Everyone is overrated.  Every time I think a team is overrated, I then see the teams ahead of them stumble and realize that they are overrated as well.

Iowa is where they belong until they get beat.  We've got freakin' Boise and Cincy in the Top 5, for God's sake.

I will gladly wager with you that Boise St, Cincy, or TCU would dominate Iowa.

JoePaul03

Quote from: IndyHog76 on October 24, 2009, 11:20:37 pm
Any Iowa fan should have been cheering for Mississippi State or TN tonight.  Trust me, I could care less if they are successful, I just think that they have a shot (even more so than Boise or Cincy - if they beat Ohio State) of playing for a National Championship.

I guess it's tough to know, because so much depends on the computer rankings. If Oregon beats USC and goes on to win the Pac10, that will help Boise a ton, and it will further weaken an undefeated Iowa, because their best win will have been OSU, whose loss to USC will have been further marginalized by a Trojan loss to the Ducks.

If Cincy and TCU win out, I think they get the nod over Iowa. TCU actually played some decent OOC teams, including at Clemson, who beat a top ten Miami team tonight, which will help the Frogs in the computers. They'll also have quality conference wins over BYU and Utah. If Cincy wins out, they'll have wins over USF, WV, Rutgers, Pitt, and Oregon State. The Big Ten is so weak and Iowa's OOC slate is so watered-down that I'm not sure they can overcome the non-BCS teams. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how it all shakes out though; I'm prett positive we can agree on that!
WCOB, 2003

hogsanity

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on October 24, 2009, 11:35:50 pm

It would be nice if Boise, Cincy, or TCU would play some teams to prove that. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JoePaul03

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2009, 11:08:31 pm
If cincy played in the SEC or even the big 12 or big 10 they would be .500.  The big least is pathetic.

Look, I love the SEC and think we're the best conference going...But have you seen some of the dumpster-fire type performances some SEC teams have turned in in some games this year? If us and Auburn played the way we played this weekend and Cincy played the way they did, they stomp a mudhole in us and then walk it dry. That's two SEC wins. Throw in any combo of MSU, UGA, TN, Kentucky, and Ole Miss and you think they couldn't win two of those games, especially if they got to play them at home? Come on man. 
WCOB, 2003

IndyHog76

I think Boise State would beat Iowa, I don't think TCU would, and I think Cincy would make it a very interesting game.  Should be interesting to see things play out.

Hot_Town_Hog

This may be the year we see a TCU, Boise, or Cincy slip into the Championship. Not sure if anyone watched TCU destroy BYU tonight, but they are a pretty good football team. The Boise dominination of Oregon looks better each week. Let Oregon beat USC, and watch the Boise stock rise.

jman

I seriously doubt it.  You forget that Ohio St. was one blown defensive play away from a fiesta bowl win over the highly rated Longwhores.  Just because the best Big 10 teams cant beat the SEC's Best and USC doesnt meant they cant beat everyone else.

[/quote

Hot_Town_Hog

Looking at Iowa's resume, it is very hard not to consider they should have lost to Northern Iowa and almost went to OT with Ark St. That is not really impressive.

Hot_Town_Hog

Looking at Iowa's resume, it is very hard not to consider they should have lost to Northern Iowa and almost went to OT with Ark St. That is not really impressive.

JoePaul03

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2009, 11:38:00 pm
It would be nice if Boise, Cincy, or TCU would play some teams to prove that. 

Boise thrashed Oregon, who is the Pac10 co-leader at this point, with a chance to win the conference. And their (Oregon) two toughest games left are at home (USC, OSU), so there's a good chance Boise will have beaten the Pac10 champs.

I already listed of all Cincy's quality wins in a previous post. If they go undefeated in the Big East, they'll have beaten some good teams, several of them on the road even.

TCU thumped Clemson AT Clemson, who beat a top ten Miami team tonight. They also beat an improved UVA team. If they go undefeated, they'll have beaten good teams from BYU and Utah.

Here's another thought...Instead of getting on them to play some teams, why don't you get on the "big boys" about ducking them? Because I promise you, Cincy, TCU, and Boise not playing the Floridas, Texases, Notre Dames, and LSUs of the world has FAAAAAAR more to do with those teams refusing to play Cincy/TCU/Boise than the other way around.
WCOB, 2003

jman

BYU has not turned out so great since their win over OU.   We also now know that OU is just an average team this year making BYU's win over OU even less impressive.  I believe Boise has lost everytime they've played Arkansas, they also went to Georgia in 2005 to prove to everyone how good they were.  Georgia won 48-13.  The Boise team with Zabransky as QB was much better than their current team

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on October 24, 2009, 11:42:40 pm
This may be the year we see a TCU, Boise, or Cincy slip into the Championship. Not sure if anyone watched TCU destroy BYU tonight, but they are a pretty good football team. The Boise dominination of Oregon looks better each week. Let Oregon beat USC, and watch the Boise stock rise.

jman

Oh, you can bet that boise and TCU are not going to Florida or Alabama anytime soon.   First off, teams must manipulate the BCS by scheduling.  Boise and TCU know that certain game would be guaranteed losses each year.  They might want to play some mid tier teams from major conferences, but I guarantee they dont want to play the Serious contenders who by losing too would put them out of the BCS picture early in the season

Quote from: JoePaul03 on October 24, 2009, 11:49:10 pm
Boise thrashed Oregon, who is the Pac10 co-leader at this point, with a chance to win the conference. And their (Oregon) two toughest games left are at home (USC, OSU), so there's a good chance Boise will have beaten the Pac10 champs.

I already listed of all Cincy's quality wins in a previous post. If they go undefeated in the Big East, they'll have beaten some good teams, several of them on the road even.

TCU thumped Clemson AT Clemson, who beat a top ten Miami team tonight. They also beat an improved UVA team. If they go undefeated, they'll have beaten good teams from BYU and Utah.

Here's another thought...Instead of getting on them to play some teams, why don't you get on the "big boys" about ducking them? Because I promise you, Cincy, TCU, and Boise not playing the Floridas, Texases, Notre Dames, and LSUs of the world has FAAAAAAR more to do with those teams refusing to play Cincy/TCU/Boise than the other way around.

IndyHog76

Boise State suffers because out of conference teams don't want to play them.  Too much risk and not enough reward.  I think Boise State would gladly schedule some middle of the road Big Ten or SEC teams if those teams would agree to it.

Quote from: jman on October 24, 2009, 11:52:52 pm
Oh, you can bet that boise and TCU are not going to Florida or Alabama anytime soon.   First off, teams must manipulate the BCS by scheduling.  Boise and TCU know that certain game would be guaranteed losses each year.  They might want to play some mid tier teams from major conferences, but I guarantee they dont want to play the Serious contenders who by losing too would put them out of the BCS picture early in the season

jman

October 25, 2009, 12:00:41 am #36 Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:02:37 am by jman
Why dont they schedule these type of games anymore?   Maybe because of the final score?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=252460061&quarter=0

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores102/102250/20020907NCAAFARKANSAS--0nr.htm

Quote from: IndyHog76 on October 24, 2009, 11:54:40 pm
Boise State suffers because out of conference teams don't want to play them.  Too much risk and not enough reward.  I think Boise State would gladly schedule some middle of the road Big Ten or SEC teams if those teams would agree to it.

JoePaul03

Quote from: jman on October 24, 2009, 11:14:55 pm
Let me put this in perspective.  If Iowa is undefeated, they'll trump any argument TCU or Boise has.

Why? If Iowa and TCU both go undefeated, will Iowa have any wins more impressive than what TCU did to BYU tonight? A BYU team that beat an OU team in a de-facto road game? And what if Clemson were to go on to play in the ACC Championship Game? A Clemson team that TCU beatat Clemson.

Iowa won on the last play of the game basically tonight to a very mediocre Sparty team and they needed luck and the grace of God to beat Arkansas State and Northern Fracking Iowa.

And if Oregon goes on to win the Pac10, Boise's win over them will also trump any win Iowa has.

Quote from: jman on October 24, 2009, 11:14:55 pm
If TCU and Boise would make regular non conference visits to Big 12 and SEC country, they wouldnt have to worry about getting into the BCS mix.......they'd each have several loses

Again, tell the power teams from the power conferences to play them every year. They won't. And I believe in the past two years, TCU has split their games with teams from power conferences, 2-2. And the last time they went to Oklahoma before 2008, they won.
WCOB, 2003

JoePaul03

Quote from: jman on October 24, 2009, 11:52:52 pm
Oh, you can bet that boise and TCU are not going to Florida or Alabama anytime soon.   First off, teams must manipulate the BCS by scheduling.  Boise and TCU know that certain game would be guaranteed losses each year.  They might want to play some mid tier teams from major conferences, but I guarantee they dont want to play the Serious contenders who by losing too would put them out of the BCS picture early in the season

Again...Boise has already beaten the current Pac10 co-leader and possible champ. They've beaten OU in a bowl game...What are you talking about "guaranteed losses?"

And if power teams try to "manipulate the BCS" as you say by playing weaker teams on purpose, then when they get bumped out of a BCS spot by a non-BCS conference team, then their cries should fall on deaf ears.
WCOB, 2003

Hot_Town_Hog

October 25, 2009, 12:09:29 am #39 Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:11:50 am by Hot_Town_Hog
Quote from: jman on October 24, 2009, 11:42:46 pm
I seriously doubt it.  You forget that Ohio St. was one blown defensive play away from a fiesta bowl win over the highly rated Longwhores.  Just because the best Big 10 teams cant beat the SEC's Best and USC doesnt meant they cant beat everyone else.

I am knocking the Big 10, but they are down from where they have been over the years. My discussion is geared more toward TCU and BSU may be as good as anyone this year. There are not many (if any) dominant teams this year, but those guys can play.

BYU beat OU, and Bradford played part of that game. OU also played Texas very close and blew out a ranked Kansas team all without Bradford. TCU just flat out whipped BYU tonight. They also won at Clemson and Virginia. The Clemson team just knocked off #8 Miami and appears to be a solid team. If TCU runs the table, they will have a VERY strong case if at least 3 of the current top 4 have one loss.

Boise spanked potential PAC 10 Champ Oregon in the season opener. If Oregon wins out, that will boost the Boise computer rankings.

And Cincy won by 10 at Oregon St, who hung tough with USC tonight. If they win out finishing at Pittsburg, they will also have a very strong case.

If Iowa wins out including a win at Ohio State, I would put all four of those teams in the same bucket.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out down the stretch.

jman

October 25, 2009, 12:12:19 am #40 Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:14:54 am by jman
Regardless of what folks may want to believe based on a couple of BCS title games, the Big 10 is still an Elite conference in college football.  Look at it this way.  If Iowa played Boise or TCU's schedule so far, would they be undefeated?  Yes.   Now, would TCU or Boise be undefeated playing in the Big 10?  No way!  First, when you play in a Big confernce, depth, intestinal fortitude and resiliance all come into play for each team by the midway point of each season.  Something TCU and Boise have never experienced.....a tough grueling schedule.

jman

Lets look at it this way.  If Utah was undefeated and could not get into the BCS title game, do you really think Boise or TCU is going to get the nod?

Hot_Town_Hog

Another thought, are you saying it is a given that Iowa would beat Oregon, Clemson, BYU and Oregon State?

I am sure they will get left out, but I am also saying they would be getting the screws put to them.

If any of them make it, it will be TCU. Won at Clemson, at BYU, and would finish at Utah. If some of the big guys slip up, TCU has a real shot.

moses_007

I think it's kinda nice to see a team other than Ohio State or Michigan winning the Big 10.

JoePaul03

Quote from: jman on October 25, 2009, 12:12:19 am
Regardless of what folks may want to believe based on a couple of BCS title games, the Big 10 is still an Elite conference in college football. 

Well, with that statement, you pretty much destroyed any credibility you had. The Big Ten is a far cry from being elite. Do you watch games, or do you just assume the most historical and influential teams are best? Becuse that's what it seems like.

Look at it this way.  If Iowa played Boise or TCU's schedule so far, would they be undefeated?  Yes. 

No. If you need a miracle to beat D2 Northern Iowa and a crowbar to pry your way out of tight 4th qtr game with Arkansas State, I'm going to go ahead and say you probably wouldn't beat BYU, Clemson, Oregon, and South Florida, all of which Boise, Cincy, and TCU have done.

Now, would TCU or Boise be undefeated playing in the Big 10?  No way!  First, when you play in a Big confernce, depth, intestinal fortitude and resiliance all come into play for each team by the midway point of each season.  Something TCU and Boise have never experienced.....a tough grueling schedule.

Yeah, there's no way TCU, Boise, or Cincy would be able to make in through that Michigan/Purdue/Northwestern/Indiana/Minnesota/Illinois/Michigan State gauntlet unscathed. Give me a break. All they'd have to do is get up for one or two games a year for OSU, PSU, and every five years Wisconsin and that would be it. And nearly all of the time, because of the way the Big Ten schedules games, you don't play all those three in the same year. And getting up for one or two big games a year is all they do now according to your theory about "BCS games."
WCOB, 2003

JoePaul03

Quote from: jman on October 25, 2009, 12:15:51 am
Lets look at it this way.  If Utah was undefeated and could not get into the BCS title game, do you really think Boise or TCU is going to get the nod?

TCU has a much tougher schedule that Utah did last year, and if Oregon wins the Pac10, Boise will have a signature win over an elite team, none of which could be said about Utah last year. Plus, it's a cumulative deal...The more things like Utah over Bama, Utah undefeated in 2004, and Boise over OU happen, the easier it will get for non-BCS conference teams to break through the glass ceiling.
WCOB, 2003

Hot_Town_Hog

I just want it to be so clusterered that some form of a playoff is implemented.

Just add 3 games, with the playoff consisting of 8 teams playing in BCS Bowls. The semis could be the following weekend, which I am sure would generate mega $millions. The Championship game would be built up all week and would get the highest viewer rating of any sporting event minus the Super Bowl.

Seems really simple, but not sure why they are against this. The integrity if the current bowl system would stay in place.

jman

I know that in Tim Tebows soph year, the lowly big 10's Michigan put a whipping on Florida in a bowl game.  I'm telling ya, the only seperation between the big 10 and the Sec right now is at the top.......bama and florida would whip everyone in the big 10 this year.....Iowa, Ohio st., Penn st. and Michigan would beat just about any other SEC team this year

jman

bottom line is that we need a serious playoff system in D1 football.