Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#1 Sports Rivalry

Started by Slacker, July 25, 2007, 10:20:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slacker

What is the #1 Sports Rivalry? In you opine? Any sport. Football, Baseball, Basketball, NASCAR, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, bobsledding, etc.

Who vs. Who hate/love to play against each other in competition more passionately than the rest of the field?

mj4president

Yankees Sox and Auburn Alabama and Duke NC
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Hugulus Hog

mao

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hands down:

FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoggystyle78

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Lanlord

ledhead830

July 25, 2007, 11:34:41 pm #8 Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:49:02 pm by ledhead830
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 25, 2007, 11:02:12 pm
Hands down:

I don't know about that.

Internazionale v. Milano is pretty rough and so is Manchester United v. Liverpool (Go Reds) and Celtic v. Rangers
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

usnavyhogfan

The dream is free, the journey is not.

fragata

Dallas Cowboys v. Washington Redskins

I get tired of the stupid northerners talking about how great a rivalry Yankees and Red Sox are.  I couldn't care less.

UhOhioHog

Dodgers vs. Giants
Arsenal vs. Manchester United
South Carolina vs. Clemson

hog.goblin

John Futrall

Michigan vs. Ohio State

Army/Navy

Yanks/Sawks

DEVIL DOG HOG

Packers - Bears
Cardinals - Cubs
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

phead903

Cardinals/Cubs (MLB) - There is not a team anywhere I hate more than the Cardinals
OU/Texas (College Football) - Always playing at a neutral site gives it the edge over Bama/Auburn and OSU/Michigan
Chelsea/Liverpool (EPL)
Dallas/Washington (NFL)

WarEagle

My top three, in order:

Auburn-Alabama
Duke-UNC
Red Sox-Yankees

Just missed the cut:  Ohio State-Michigan, Skins-'Boys, Texas-Oklahoma, Oxford-Cambridge
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

major_hog_fan

dman

BumpieJohnson

Michigan / Ohio State

Lakers / Celtics

RedSox / Yankees

Cowboys / Redskins

UNC / Duke

ledhead830

Quote from: phead903 on July 26, 2007, 08:17:24 am

Chelsea/Liverpool (EPL)

That's not that big of a rivalry. Liverpool has the Northwestern England rivalry with Man U. (Also the most historic rivalry in Britain) and the Derby with Everton before it gives one crap about Chelsea, and Chelsea has the London Derby with Arsenal.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,

lateshow

MLB: Card/Cubs
NBA: Who cares.
NFL: Broncos/Chiefs and Cowboys/'Skins
CFB: Auburn/Alabama and OU/Texas; Mich/Ohio State considered, but i get sick and tired of hearing about it.
CBB: Duke/UNC no question.

Boy, it'd be great if Arkansas had a real rivalry wouldn't it!

Junkyard Hog

Yankees Sox
Ohio St./Mich
Duke/NC
Army/Navy

rzrbcks2120

In the U.S. it is definitely Red Sox - Yankees.

StoernerJonesFan

Buckeyes-Wolverines
Hands down.

WMHawgfan

Popeye vs Bluto
Tom vs Jerry
Plankton vs Mr. Krabs
Roadrunner vs Coyote
Nutt vs Common Sense

brownhog

Stella

My beloved Denver Broncos vs. KC Chiefs or Oakland Raiders

selfexplanatory

This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

Adram

Arkansas v. Arkansas State

wait....

Conway Cool Daddy

Diana Nutt vs Springdale

;)

Jowls

I.D.I.C.

DEVIL DOG HOG

SEMOState - Arkansas

UTC - Arkansas
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

razorhead69

Nashville Fan

A great Rivalry game to go to is FL v GA in college football. But, I don't think that is really the biggest Rilvary.

Army v Navy is up there.
Pittman or Bust!

PigWig

Quote from: Stella on July 26, 2007, 12:46:53 pm
My beloved Denver Broncos vs. KC Chiefs or Oakland Raiders
Cutler is going to rip through AFC West secondaries for years to come. Go Broncos!

My vote has to go Yankees/Sox though.

champ

Yanks and Redsox im personally a cards fan but nothing compares to the yanks and redsox

Ohio state and Michigan for best atmosphere

scruf

Jordan/Dumars/Pistons
Eagles/Cowboys
Canadiens/Nordiques or Canadiens/Maple Leafs
Oil/Water

demonHOG1013

Army/Navy...doesnt matter if one team is great and the other sucks or if they are both bad, they play all year for ONE game...Army/Navy

runner up is apparently NWA vs. Central Arkansas ;)

311Hog

Arkansas VS LA-Monroe

or

Nutt VS His fingernails

Verge

Quote from: ledhead830 on July 25, 2007, 11:34:41 pm
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 25, 2007, 11:02:12 pm
Hands down:

I don't know about that.

Internazionale v. Milano is pretty rough and so is Manchester United v. Liverpool (Go Reds) and Celtic v. Rangers

this guy knows his stuff... milan derby's generally end in multiple stabbings and beatings.... manu liverpool used to be the same way, england has become a bit more civilized, but they are still pretty rough.

Hogs-n-Roses

USCNOKLAHOMA

Come on boys pay attention here....it's clemsuck vs. USC.

We actually love each other so much we brawl before every game. I think you guys would find the history interesting. It involves threats of force, guns, national guard being called in, marching on the school with weapons drawn, cows, chickens, chipping Howard's rock, and of course the brawl.

No one hates each other as much as we do....well maybe Auburn, Bama. If it ain't an intrastate rivalry it is not really a rivalry.

Albert Einswine

ASU fans (all 237) vs. Frank Broyles
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Adam Stokes

Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal.  Even when Roger gets swept on Clay the matches are always tight.  This year's Wimbleton was one of the best.

Geohul

Bob Gibson VS ANYBODY

"Hoot" was Michael Jordan BEFORE Michael Jordan.  Stories of his tenacity and competitiveness are legendary in MLB cirlcles.  It didn't matter who you were if you crowded the plate you got plunked.  Plain and simple.  To better explain here's some advice given from Hank Aaron to rookie Dusty Baker before he faced Gibson for the first time. 
"'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson, he'll knock you down. Don't stare at him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer.' I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."

Also he tried to bean Reggie Jackson in a game once.  Reggie crowded the plate and Bob threw a slower version of his fastball at Reggies head. ......Oh yeah it was an OLD TIMERS GAME!!!

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

PennHOG

Quote from: ajs15razorman on July 27, 2007, 08:43:46 am
Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal.  Even when Roger gets swept on Clay the matches are always tight.  This year's Wimbleton was one of the best.

You beat me to it.  The Federer Nadal rivalry is only going to get better.  Nadal keeps getting better on the non-clay surfaces and Federer, well, just can't get any better.

Here's my others:

NFL:  Cowboys/Redskins
MLB:  Yanks/Red Sox
NHL:  Who cares
NBA:  Pistons/Pacers (based on recent history)
College FB: Auburn/Alabama
College BB: Duke/North Carolina

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

hog.goblin

hogsanity

Lehigh/Lafayette  A rivalry so bitter, they used to play twice a year just to get 2 shots at each other.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE