Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official U.S. Open Thread

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, June 13, 2017, 07:52:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Seems pretty quiet for US Open week.  Other than Phil skipping it for graduation and trying to pressure the USGA to move back his tee time, the focus seems to be on the course and set up.  Erin Hills?  I think I dated her once in high school.  Sounds like her anyway; long, windy, weeds.

Betting favorite is DJ.  Makes sense.  I say we get a real surprise this year.  Somebody like Kevin Kisner or Robert Streb or Kevin Chappell.

Or maybe a rookie.  My pick is John Rahm.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

I was watching the build up on the Golf Channel.  Almost has a links look to it with the high grass off the fairway.  Haven't heard what the expect the scores to be.  I've always like the ones where around even par wins it.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Garrigus is skipping the Open because it conflicts with his dealer's parole hearing.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Looking at playing there in July, going up with my youngest son to visit my oldest in Chicago and we're playing Erin Hills and Whistling Straits. I'm not worried about walking them, I'm worried if my caddy can carry my gross of golf balls.

As far as the tournament, Westwood will be in contention on Sunday, but shoot at least a 77, the winner is Fowler at -2.

HognitiveDissonance

I'm sure Erin Hills is a fine course, but it sure has got a lot of attention for almost 10 years now. You would get the impression it was 2 X Pebble Beach.
A lot of talk for a treeless, non-ocean front, fairly flat-ish piece of land. Seems almost no way to live up to the hype.
At least Chambers Bay had Puget Sound.

By the way, I played Chambers Bay once, in 2010, five years before the Open. It was a rolling property, but green, and fun to play. By the time the USGA was done, it looked as brown as dirt, and the greens were almost dead. The USGA killed that course for the Open, went too far.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 13, 2017, 10:23:48 am
I'm sure Erin Hills is a fine course, but it sure has got a lot of attention for almost 10 years now. You would get the impression it was 2 X Pebble Beach.
A lot of talk for a treeless, non-ocean front, fairly flat-ish piece of land. Seems almost no way to live up to the hype.

By the way, I played Chambers Bay once, in 2010, five years before the Open. It was a rolling property, but green, and fun to play. By the time the USGA was done, it looked as brown as dirt, and the greens were almost dead. The USGA killed that course for the Open, went too far.

You don't have to have trees or an ocean to have a great course.

Erin hills is a great course on it's own.  It doesn't need the bells and whistles.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 13, 2017, 10:23:48 am

Unless the wind blows a lot this week, don't be surprised if the winning score is at least -10.

Patrick Reed played Erin Hills from the 8,155 yard tips the other day, and Reed shot a 70 (which is 2 under par).

At least normalcy for a U.S. Open will occur next year with it being at Shinnecock Hills.

Dillar Dog

Haven't you blown it on your calls the past few years, rain man.

Just go away.  Judge Wapner is on.

PonderinHog

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 13, 2017, 07:28:40 pm
Haven't you blown it on your calls the past few years, rain man.

Just go away.  Judge Wapner is on.

Reed did shoot a 70 from the 8,155 yard tips.

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/patrick-reed-and-steve-stricker-play-us-open-practice-rounds

Reed is not even a Dustin Johnson/Bubba Watson type of a bomber.

Give some of these guys wide fairways, the option to use a Driver on many holes, and not very contoured greens, and they will take advantage (unless the wind really blows).

Dillar Dog

Wow.  Reed shot 70.

No one cares.

Boarcephus

Did you guys catch Rory's response when told they were trimming the rough?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 14, 2017, 09:17:09 am
Did you guys catch Rory's response when told they were trimming the rough?

He'll think differently when he hits a few tee shots in it.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 14, 2017, 11:13:27 am
Or, he has scouted the course enough to know his landing zones are more generous than others since Rory can bomb away here.

And still miss the fairway.........

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 13, 2017, 08:36:16 pm
Reed did shoot a 70 from the 8,155 yard tips.

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/patrick-reed-and-steve-stricker-play-us-open-practice-rounds

Reed is not even a Dustin Johnson/Bubba Watson type of a bomber.

Give some of these guys wide fairways, the option to use a Driver on many holes, and not very contoured greens, and they will take advantage (unless the wind really blows).

Langer would probably shoot a 65 from those tees. 

Boarcephus

Been watching the Golf Channel before I go look for mussels on the White River (that's another story  :) ).  Watching these guys warm up on the range and they all have their bags of balls they hit.  Just curious, I'm guessing Rory and DJ are hitting TaylorMade and Jordan is hitting Titleist or do they hit whatever the club provides?  Stupid question but still curious.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 14, 2017, 12:03:04 pm
Been watching the Golf Channel before I go look for mussels on the White River (that's another story  :) ).  Watching these guys warm up on the range and they all have their bags of balls they hit.  Just curious, I'm guessing Rory and DJ are hitting TaylorMade and Jordan is hitting Titleist or do they hit whatever the club provides?  Stupid question but still curious.

They hit what the use.

https://www.quora.com/Do-pros-hit-new-golf-balls-when-warming-up-on-the-driving-range

Boarcephus

EastexHawg

I just saw a story today that mentioned Mickelson's kid's school announced a while back that they would not consider changing the time of the graduation.

Good for them.  They have their principles.

Now I wish he would pull his other two kids out of that school, enroll them somewhere else, and give the new school $10 to $20 million for facilities...maybe buy them a new stadium, gymnasium, uniforms, band instruments, the whole schmeer.

Then issue a statement that he hopes the school and its administrators enjoy their principles...

CJ HOG

June 15, 2017, 04:08:27 am #19 Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:14:02 pm by CJ HOG
Quote from: onebadrubi on June 14, 2017, 11:44:23 am
Langer would probably shoot a 65 from those tees.
That'd probably be good for 2nd place behind  Venables I'd imagine....

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 15, 2017, 06:53:02 am
Two words: Crooked Stick

One fact, 55.7% of fairways hit this season, that's Rory's %.

cc

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 13, 2017, 07:52:22 am
Seems pretty quiet for US Open week.  Other than Phil skipping it for graduation and trying to pressure the USGA to move back his tee time, the focus seems to be on the course and set up.  Erin Hills?  I think I dated her once in high school.  Sounds like her anyway; long, windy, weeds.

Betting favorite is DJ.  Makes sense.  I say we get a real surprise this year.  Somebody like Kevin Kisner or Robert Streb or Kevin Chappell.

Or maybe a rookie.  My pick is John Rahm.

Both of the Kevins are playing well.  I see Rahm hitting it in one of those 6" wide bunker fingers and snapping is wedges in a temper tantrum.

Boarcephus

Rahm is +4 through 14.  10  behind Fowler.  If 10 under or more will be the winning score, this will be a dud to watch. 

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 15, 2017, 12:19:18 pm
However, these may be the widest fairways they see all year outside of Augusta. 

DJ can't hit them today, lol, and most consider him to one of the best drivers on the tour.

Dr. Starcs

Is there anyone not related to him that likes joe buck?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 14, 2017, 09:31:29 pm
I just saw a story today that mentioned Mickelson's kid's school announced a while back that they would not consider changing the time of the graduation.

Good for them.  They have their principles.

Now I wish he would pull his other two kids out of that school, enroll them somewhere else, and give the new school $10 to $20 million for facilities...maybe buy them a new stadium, gymnasium, uniforms, band instruments, the whole schmeer.

Then issue a statement that he hopes the school and its administrators enjoy their principles...

Ha!

Me and my bosses were just discussing this. What a dumbass school. Phil shoulda just pulled out on Monday instead of creating the stupid drama around himself.

oldman1015

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2017, 12:38:55 pm
DJ can't hit them today, lol, and most consider him to one of the best drivers on the tour.
He's no Bernhard Langer.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 15, 2017, 01:22:11 pm
Is there anyone not related to him that likes joe buck?

Well, you can understand him, unlike these foreigners........

hogbud

Darren Clarke needs to pound a Guinness or two before coming on air.

EastexHawg

This Open has the look of a tournament literally tens of people may care about and watch over the weekend.  Tiger and Phil aren't playing.  Dustin Johnson, McIlroy, Jason Day, and Spieth struggled.  Fox's best hope is probably that Rickie ("ie"... really?) stays at the top of the leaderboard and the adolescent girl and metrosexual millennial male crowd tunes in.

EastexHawg

I would love to see Ernie win, but at this point it's pretty much a coin flip whether he or Gary Player is the more likely South African to win another major.

PonderinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 15, 2017, 09:54:34 pm
This Open has the look of a tournament literally tens of people may care about and watch over the weekend.  Tiger and Phil aren't playing.  Dustin Johnson, McIlroy, Jason Day, and Spieth struggled.  Fox's best hope is probably that Rickie ("ie"... really?) stays at the top of the leaderboard and the adolescent girl and metrosexual millennial male crowd tunes in.
Does anybody want to buy a slightly damaged blimp ???

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 15, 2017, 10:29:07 pm
Does anybody want to buy a slightly damaged blimp ???

Is John Daly playing?

(I'm sorry)

ricepig

Great tournament, full of great stories. It will probably go down as the best US Open in 117 years.

Boarcephus

There are 60 players at par or better.  This is not what I expect out of a US Open.  Winner will be double digits under par.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 15, 2017, 09:54:34 pm

MMM crowd. I like it.

Hawgndaaz

wow, the rory/day group looks awful. Switched to Sergio and he's at -3 while scott is playing in the weeds

Dr. Starcs

Dr. Starcs

I'd like to see those Erin Hills.

And I think she finally wised up and dumped that jerk of a husband. Tigers probably on deck if not already on it.

95_alum

Cue Joe Buck's man-crush for Brooks Koepka...

ricepig

Mick Fleetwood taking a week off from the band to compete, uncommon........

Dr. Starcs

Wildhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 17, 2017, 03:51:36 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/purdueturfy/status/876149330746507264

Smooth joe. Smooth.

"I don't think so because this is for par."

lol.

And that's the only shot of the US open that I've seen.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dillar Dog

Decent little round by Thomas

ricepig

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 17, 2017, 04:31:13 pm
Decent little round by Thomas

Yeah, reminded me of some of mine. Those were two of the best 3 woods in US Open history.

EastexHawg

I don't think I like watching the U.S. Open and having the Greater Hartford Open break out.  The course is ridiculously easy for an Open today.  You could land a 747 on the fairways, at least two of the par fours are drivable with no real hazards to worry about, and seemingly half the holes are located at the bottom of bowls so that anything landing around them will funnel close.

Does anyone actually think Justin Thomas' 9 under round on this course is close to as good as Johnny Miller's 8 under at Oakmont?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 17, 2017, 07:16:54 pm
I don't think I like watching the U.S. Open and having the Greater Hartford Open break out.  The course is ridiculously easy for an Open today.  You could land a 747 on the fairways, at least two of the par fours are drivable with no real hazards to worry about, and seemingly half the holes are located at the bottom of bowls so that anything landing around them will funnel close.

Does anyone actually think Justin Thomas' 9 under round on this course is close to as good as Johnny Miller's 8 under at Oakmont?

Not only is it as good, it's one shot better. The U.S. Open doesn't have to be +2 to be a great tournament. If it was so easy, how come none of the big boys aren't winning, Hell, they didn't make the cut. They can't help that the rain has softened up the course, or that the wind hasn't blown as hard as expected. Rory won in 2011 at -16 under at Congressional, I don't remember hearing it wasn't a US Open worthy win.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2017, 07:54:56 pm
Not only is it as good, it's one shot better. The U.S. Open doesn't have to be +2 to be a great tournament. If it was so easy, how come none of the big boys aren't winning, Hell, they didn't make the cut. They can't help that the rain has softened up the course, or that the wind hasn't blown as hard as expected. Rory won in 2011 at -16 under at Congressional, I don't remember hearing it wasn't a US Open worthy win.

Yes, Rory shot 16 under... and he had an 8 shot lead going into the final round.  No one else was better than 6 under.

You have a 288 yard par 4 with the pin located in an absolute bowl.  Even shots that go over the green funnel back to tap in range.  The only real surprise so far is that no one has made a hole in one.  And that's just one example.

Day, McIlroy, and Dustin Johnson missed the cut not because the course is so difficult, but because they couldn't keep their tee shots inside the county line.  When the fairway is 50 yards wide but you miss it by a mile... I saw Day yesterday 40 yards into the deep stuff... your failure isn't because the course was too hard.

And the rain didn't cause those fairways to be so wide, or the holes to be placed in spots where any shot within the vicinity will roll close.

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 17, 2017, 08:07:54 pm
Yes, Rory shot 16 under... and he had an 8 shot lead going into the final round.  No one else was better than 6 under.

You have a 288 yard par 4 with the pin located in an absolute bowl.  Even shots that go over the green funnel back to tap in range.  The only real surprise so far is that no one has made a hole in one.  And that's just one example.

Day, McIlroy, and Dustin Johnson missed the cut not because the course is so difficult, but because they couldn't keep their tee shots inside the county line.  When the fairway is 50 yards wide but you miss it by a mile... I saw Day yesterday 40 yards into the deep stuff... your failure isn't because the course was too hard.

And the rain didn't cause those fairways to be so wide, or the holes to be placed in spots where any shot within the vicinity will roll close.

GoHog1091 is this you? Did you hack into EastexHawg's acct?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 17, 2017, 08:07:54 pm

The same hole was 360 yards on Thursday, so it's changed every day. I'm guessing that hole played at a 3 today in your mind, care to make a wager as to what the stroke average was, or has been all week? The 50 yard wide fairways were there because if it hadn't rained, the tee shots would have run thru them.