Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daniel Gafford

Started by Cavosea1, October 20, 2017, 08:20:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavosea1

Enjoy him while it last.  Hes too good n athletic to stay all 4 years.  I think next year is his last IF he dont leave this year

TheSportsGuy

If he gets a jump shot he gone.

HogFoo

I was just on phone with my friend after the game.  He and I are both in agreement.  Wow.  I don't think Arkansas has ever had someone like him at 6'11 that athletic!  I mean, Gafford will be a 1&done, if we have him 2yrs, wow.  That kid is incredible.  In fact, everyone looked good other than Trey Thompson.  I think Gafford is every bit as good as  good right now as Moses was last season.  Guys I said it earlier, I definitely an reiterating what I've already said.  The game tonight just solidified my thoughts. This is a sweet 16, elite type team, and it may even be a final 4 team!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

azhog10

I said the same thing and others laughed. But from what I've been told and what I've seen he will be here two years max.

MakingPlays

Quote from: HogFoo on October 20, 2017, 09:39:26 pm
I was just on phone with my friend after the game.  He and I are both in agreement.  Wow.  I don't think Arkansas has ever had someone like him at 6'11 that athletic!  I mean, Gafford will be a 1&done, if we have him 2yrs, wow.  That kid is incredible.  In fact, everyone looked good other than Trey Thompson.  I think Gafford is every bit as good as  good right now as Moses was last season.  Guys I said it earlier, I definitely an reiterating what I've already said.  The game tonight just solidified my thoughts. This is a sweet 16, elite type team, and it may even be a final 4 team!

I agree, after watching Gafford tonight, I can't think of any Hog player that has been 6'11 and that athletic and runs the floor as well as Gafford does.  He was even at the head of the press keeping up with the guards.  The potential he has is crazy.  We may get to keep him for 2 years, but no way he stays a full 4 years unless he just wants to.  He's probably going to get some serious looks and give us a scare of leaving early after this season.   

If anyone is looking for a comparison, think Willy Cauley-Stein, the former Kentucky player.  Their game is very similar.  And I think Gafford may be a little bit more athletic than WCS, and that's saying a lot.

Triple T

Went to the game tonight, WOW! Gafford is an absolute stud. Hella impressed by him.

PonderinHog

Would y'all please stop!  lol

navyhog24

Can the guy play a whole season before we start worrying about this?

Pinto

I tried to tell y'all the young man is special. His potential is through the roof. He could easily average 12, 10 & 3 this year

MakingPlays

Quote from: Pinto on October 20, 2017, 10:38:09 pm
I tried to tell y'all the young man is special. His potential is through the roof. He could easily average 12, 10 & 3 this year

I'm not sure he'll average that many points, just because we have a lot of guards that will score a lot (Barford, Macon, Beard, and Jones).  But, I could realistically see 8, 8, & 2 for him.  Which I think would be really good for his first year, and considering we have 6 seniors.  His second year when all these guys are gone and he's "the man" I think that's when he just goes off and averages a double/double. 

Pinto

Barford and Macon are the only guards who can score "a lot". Beard and CJ will be coming off the bench and will hopefully be spark plugs. Gafford will eat off offensive rebounds, lobs, and transition buckets. You don't have to receive the ball in the post a lot to get 12 ppg if you're as athletic as Dan

rude1

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 20, 2017, 09:53:25 pm
I agree, after watching Gafford tonight, I can't think of any Hog player that has been 6'11 and that athletic and runs the floor as well as Gafford does.  He was even at the head of the press keeping up with the guards.  The potential he has is crazy.  We may get to keep him for 2 years, but no way he stays a full 4 years unless he just wants to.  He's probably going to get some serious looks and give us a scare of leaving early after this season.   

If anyone is looking for a comparison, think Willy Cauley-Stein, the former Kentucky player.  Their game is very similar.  And I think Gafford may be a little bit more athletic than WCS, and that's saying a lot.
Wasn't WCS a four year player? Guys need to slow their roll. There's not a lot of NBA value any more for big guys who can't step out and hit the jump shot to help space the floor. Gafford has a nice upside no doubt, but to start talking one or two n done is waaaaaay premature at this point, kid hasn't made his first official basket, rebound, or block shot yet.....

Pinto

Quote from: rude1 on October 20, 2017, 11:06:14 pm
Wasn't WCS a four year player? Guys need to slow their roll. There's not a lot of NBA value any more for big guys who can't step out and hit the jump shot to help space the floor. Gafford has a nice upside no doubt, but to start talking one or two n done is waaaaaay premature at this point, kid hasn't made his first official basket, rebound, or block shot yet.....

What NBA are you watching?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: azhog10 on October 20, 2017, 09:44:30 pm
I said the same thing and others laughed. But from what I've been told and what I've seen he will be here two years max.

I said the thing and got laughed at.  Iceman, I know you've been eating a lot of crow lately, but I'm gonna need you to eat a little bit more.

Also, I said CJ Jones might avg. 20 a game and got laughed out of the building again.  I know its bold, and prooobbbaabblllyy won't happen, but it could happen.  Or maybe he averages 20 in the later part of the year or something.

Also got Arlando Cook coming back right, soooooo

LETS HOPE THE PREDICTION IN MY SIG LINE IS RIGHT. 

MakingPlays

Quote from: rude1 on October 20, 2017, 11:06:14 pm

WCS was a 3 year guy.  If he wasn't playing on stacked Kentucky teams he could have probably been on another team and left earlier than what he did.

And as far as premature conversations, it's just opinions, before I seen him play, I kinda thought it was typical Arkansas media overhyping recruits, but after watching him in person and seeing what he can do, it's hard to see him being a 4-year guy if he plays to his potential.  Just listen to the interviews of his teammates talking about him, they've played against NBA caliber players and they are saying they've never seen anything like him.  He's special, and when you get a chance to watch him play you'll see what we're talking about.

Also, there's still plenty of room for long athletic big men in the NBA, that can't necessarily shoot that well. 

Willy Cauley-Stein
Tyson Chandler
Deandre Jordan
Hassan Whiteside
Bam Adabeyo
Nerleans Noel

Those are just some guys off the top of my head that I feel have similar games.  Plus, there's Robert Williams, who plays for TA&M, he turned himself into a guy in discussion for the top pick this year, just based off his length and athleticism. 

Pinto

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 20, 2017, 11:18:50 pm

WCS was a 3 year guy.  If he wasn't playing on stacked Kentucky teams he could have probably been on another team and left earlier than what he did.

And as far as premature conversations, it's just opinions, before I seen him play, I kinda thought it was typical Arkansas media overhyping recruits, but after watching him in person and seeing what he can do, it's hard to see him being a 4-year guy if he plays to his potential.  Just listen to the interviews of his teammates talking about him, they've played against NBA caliber players and they are saying they've never seen anything like him.  He's special, and when you get a chance to watch him play you'll see what we're talking about.

Also, there's still plenty of room for long athletic big men in the NBA, that can't necessarily shoot that well. 

Willy Cauley-Stein
Tyson Chandler
Deandre Jordan
Hassan Whiteside
Bam Adabeyo
Nerleans Noel

Those are just some guys off the top of my head that I feel have similar games.  Plus, there's Robert Williams, who plays for TA&M, he turned himself into a guy in discussion for the top pick this year, just based off his length and athleticism.

+1

razorback1829

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 20, 2017, 10:53:58 pm
I'm not sure he'll average that many points, just because we have a lot of guards that will score a lot (Barford, Macon, Beard, and Jones).  But, I could realistically see 8, 8, & 2 for him.  Which I think would be really good for his first year, and considering we have 6 seniors.  His second year when all these guys are gone and he's "the man" I think that's when he just goes off and averages a double/double.

He might be gone after this season. NBA teams drool over his type of potential.

Pinto

Alex Len was a top 5 pick also. Clint Capela has been tearing it up. Rudy Gobert. I can keep naming them. NBA wants athletic and mobile guys who can run the floor and defend pick and roll. The back to the basket and shooting will decide whether you're top 8 or top 3. NBA teams are cocky enough to think that they can develop a bigs jump shot. Which they have with Cauley Stein. He has a respectable mid range now

rzrbackramsfan

Isn't it funny all the recruiting services pegged him as a four star?  He's a 5 star in the purest form. 

fakenews

I think we have established recruiting services make it up as they go - Brian Wallace, Jamario Bell, Jalen Merrick and so on.

Dwight_K_Shrute

He plays taller than 6-11
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hobhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 20, 2017, 10:21:44 pm
Would y'all please stop!  lol

One red white game and he's on to the NBA. One bad game and people will yell overrated.

Sounds encouraging but let's get to November.....

Pinto

Quote from: hobhog on October 21, 2017, 08:06:49 am
One red white game and he's on to the NBA. One bad game and people will yell overrated.

If you were there you would have saw his potential regardless if he had a bad game or not...

daprospecta

After watching the highlights and seeing him in action, I have a feeling I will be saying this a lot this year and I can't wait!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: daprospecta on October 21, 2017, 09:46:40 am
After watching the highlights and seeing him in action, I have a feeling I will be saying this a lot this year and I can't wait!

Nothing was nastier than Kingley's (or is it Beasley?) block against Seton Hall last year.

If Gafford can provide EXACTLY what Kingsley contributed last year, I'll be ecstatic.

People tend to expect more from seniors, and gush over 'potential' from young guys. Just look at the reality of what Moses was giving last year...elite shot blocking, occasional 20-point games, about 10 reb per game...and it was probably more than you think. Again, we expect more from older guys sometimes and take them for granted. Always looking for the next young pup.

sadhogfan

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 21, 2017, 04:39:29 pm
Nothing was nastier than Kingley's (or is it Beasley?) block against Seton Hall last year.

If Gafford can provide EXACTLY what Kingsley contributed last year, I'll be ecstatic.

People tend to expect more from seniors, and gush over 'potential' from young guys. Just look at the reality of what Moses was giving last year...elite shot blocking, occasional 20-point games, about 10 reb per game...and it was probably more than you think. Again, we expect more from older guys sometimes and take them for granted. Always looking for the next young pup.

+1 Exactly.

YtownHog

How does his game compare to Portis?

rzrbkman

Quote from: hobhog on October 21, 2017, 08:06:49 am

True. Reggie Garrett once scored 35 points in a Razorback Red-White game. He never developed beyond that.

azhog10

Quote from: YtownHog on October 22, 2017, 04:06:13 pm
How does his game compare to Portis?
Not at all similar. Gafford will be a true post. Bobby was more of a stretch four in the fact he could operate facing up. Gafford can play like a four defensively and can guard on the perimeter. But Gafford is a post player and you won't see him slide out and shoot it much at all.

The only comparison is that Gafford can and probably will be a major contributor to this team. Great thing for him is we have a lot more weapons than we had when Portis was here.

Pinto

Quote from: rzrbkman on October 22, 2017, 04:12:12 pm
True. Reggie Garrett once scored 35 points in a Razorback Red-White game. He never developed beyond that.

The hype isn't about his numbers that he put up, it was how athletic and long he is. We haven't had a big like him before so it's pretty exciting

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: fakenews on October 21, 2017, 12:15:24 am
I think we have established recruiting services make it up as they go - Brian Wallace, Jamario Bell, Jalen Merrick and so on.

Or bad coaching

1highhog

Quote from: HogFoo on October 20, 2017, 09:39:26 pm

Slow your roll guys, remember this was a scrimmage game, no defense basically just a fun time had by all.  Gafford might end product being everything as advertised, but let's see how he does when the season gets going before we send him on to the NBA.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: rzrbkman on October 22, 2017, 04:12:12 pm

Garrett was also in Nolan's doghouse most of that season.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on October 22, 2017, 06:53:16 pm
Garrett was also in Nolan's doghouse most of that season.

He got kicked off the team fosho

HognitiveDissonance

Reggie Garrett will always be known for the half-court shot right before halftime of the 1995 Super Bowl Sunday game against Kentucky in Bud Walton.

draftkings33

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 20, 2017, 11:11:24 pm

I said the thing and got laughed at.  Iceman, I know you've been eating a lot of crow lately, but I'm gonna need you to eat a little bit more.

Also, I said CJ Jones might avg. 20 a game and got laughed out of the building again.  I know its bold, and prooobbbaabblllyy won't happen, but it could happen.  Or maybe he averages 20 in the later part of the year or something.

Also got Arlando Cook coming back right, soooooo

LETS HOPE THE PREDICTION IN MY SIG LINE IS RIGHT.
And you will continue to get laughed at saying that about CJ JOnes.  Come on man he has no prayer of averaging even 14 a game

Fan701

I hope there's lots of film from Friday's exhibition game.

razorback1829

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 23, 2017, 03:06:04 pm
And you will continue to get laughed at saying that about CJ JOnes.  Come on man he has no prayer of averaging even 14 a game

I can see him scoring over 12-13 pts easily. Our guys look for him out there. He just gets buckets. We'll see.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 23, 2017, 05:34:43 pm
I can see him scoring over 12-13 pts easily. Our guys look for him out there. He just gets buckets. We'll see.

If he starts, he should definitely be considered a threat average double figures.

rzrbackramsfan

No prayer? Guess you didn't hear about the red white scrimmage.

6'5" guys with verticals like cj, have a really nice shot, and are super quick will always be a major scoring threat. 

EternalSunshine

October 23, 2017, 06:49:21 pm #40 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:59:45 pm by EternalSunshine
El Do!

Hogimus Prime

Gafford's shot blocking ability matched with three really good guards and several athletic, longed armed athletes in the 6'5"-6'8" range will make this MA's best team.  Such potential for this squad.  Can't wait for the season to start

1highhog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 23, 2017, 06:12:51 pm

No prayer? Guess you didn't hear about the red white scrimmage.

6'5" guys with verticals like cj, have a really nice shot, and are super quick will always be a major scoring threat. 

It was a red/white scrimmage, we've had guys score 30+pts. before in a scrimmage and never be able to score a point in a real game because it's a completely different situation, some guys just can't perform when it's in a structured game environment in front of big crowds.

hview

I'm sure Gafford is going to be a fine player, but it will be interesting to see how he matches up against some of the fine non conference teams the Hogs will face.

mhuff

I totally agree. I've got him averaging 13.8 ,IF he gets PT.

1highhog

Quote from: mhuff on October 23, 2017, 09:55:42 pm
I totally agree. I've got him averaging 13.8 ,IF he gets PT.

I hope he gets 30pts per game, will he, let's just wait until the season plays out.

Foshodo

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 23, 2017, 05:34:43 pm

look back over the last decade and see how many guys have even hit the 10ppg mark. a few years we've had three hit the 10per mark but didnt beat it by much. last season having 4 that scored over 10 a game was definitely not the norm and with both Macon and Barford likely eclipsing the 15 mark it doesnt seem likely anyone outside of Gafford will sniff the mark.

Pinto

Quote from: Foshodo on October 24, 2017, 01:48:11 am
look back over the last decade and see how many guys have even hit the 10ppg mark. a few years we've had three hit the 10per mark but didnt beat it by much. last season having 4 that scored over 10 a game was definitely not the norm and with both Macon and Barford likely eclipsing the 15 mark it doesnt seem likely anyone outside of Gafford will sniff the mark.

I agree. I see him having a season like Anthlon Bell's junior year. Then next year will be his breakout year

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 23, 2017, 05:49:34 pm
If he starts, he should definitely be considered a threat average double figures.

I would think coming off the bench and not playing with both Barford and Macon would increase his shooting totals.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 24, 2017, 10:54:53 am
I would think coming off the bench and not playing with both Barford and Macon would increase his shooting totals.

He doesn't necessarily have to come off the bench to get opportunities without them on the court. There is a lot of mixing and matching in between the start and finish of the game for the Hogs under Anderson, but your point is correct that he would have a better chance not having to compete with those two for shots. And he actually would make for the perfect sub off the bench for instant offense, so you're thinking is probably right. So we'll say "starter's minutes" instead.