Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With so many new pieces on offense, will Arkansas be better or worse in 2017?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 22, 2017, 08:19:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This article points out some of the achievements and, some of the failures of the offense in 2016. It also questions whether the offense can be improved with the loss of RWIII and most of our receivers.

What the writer doesn't touch on is having a more experienced and deeper O-Line and Austin Allen settling into his role as a starter. As good as he performed last year at times, there were also times (later in the season) that he seemed to try to force the ball to make big plays that perhaps weren't there to be made. With a more mature O-Line providing better protection and hopefully having an improved defense, the pressure on Allen to make plays might be backed off a notch or two.

When Arkansas' offense was working and Allen and Williams were productive, the Hogs scored points in bunches. The Razorbacks went 6-1 when they scored 30 points or more. Their only loss came when they fell to top-ranked Alabama 49-30. Only two other teams — Ole Miss and Clemson — scored 30 points or more against the Crimson Tide.

The problem was the fact that Allen and Williams weren't always at their best — and now Williams won't even be there in 2017. Allen, a first-time starting quarterback, stumbled down the stretch, throwing two interceptions in losses to LSU and Missouri at the end of the regular season, and three more against the Hokies in the bowl game.

There are plenty of questions surrounding the offense in 2017. Allen is a cornerstone, but Williams retired from football after suffering a neck injury during the Spring Game. And the Razorbacks must replace their two leading pass-catchers, Keon Hatcher and Drew Morgan, as well as tight end Jeremy Sprinkle.

More inside:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/will-arkansas-offense-be-better-worse-in-2017/
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

I think it's entirely possible and likely our passing game takes a huge step back. Hopefully our run game will return to what it was in 14 and 15

The teams success still depends on what the defense does.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

sowmonella

IF the O-line improves like I expect, the offense should be better and more balanced than 2016. The receiving corp is unproven but more talented than 2016.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsmash12

How do we know the receiving corps is 'more talented'? We haven't seen anything. 

Wildhog

We'll be fine at WR.  They're largely unproven but very talented.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

PorkRinds

Gonna hinge on the OL. If they're vastly improved the offense will be as well. Our OL woes caused us to lose production from Sprinkle because he had to block more to make up for the OL problems. A solid OL opens up our offense much more.

Wildhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on June 22, 2017, 09:22:25 am
No one knows. New receivers and backs. Hoping for a bowl trip.

As long as there's not a talent drop-off, you can get by with new receivers and backs.

I'm worried about the OL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 22, 2017, 09:23:18 am
Gonna hinge on the OL. If they're vastly improved the offense will be as well. Our OL woes caused us to lose production from Sprinkle because he had to block more to make up for the OL problems. A solid OL opens up our offense much more.

That pathetic display we saw last year better pay off this year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs-n-Roses

I think our passing game will be fine or better. I know we lost lots of production at WR but I'm real confident of the pieces coming back and the new guys especially Martin. Someone please go buy that guy a neck. 8) I think we'll more than OK at RB also. My concerns on O are SEC quality depth at Line and a couple of those TE's stepping up to the front and being difference makers.

Its the D I 'm skeptical of. We've got some great new names and in theory the change in D scheme is a nobrainer. I'm just afraid that by the time we get the changes/assignments down it may have cost us a couple of early games.

Wildhog

We were 12th in the league in YPC, 13th in sacks allowed, and 12th in TFL allowed.

OL has to be better.  They were incredibly awful last year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 10:32:35 am
We were 12th in the league in YPC, 13th in sacks allowed, and 12th in TFL allowed.

I think we will find that they are greatly improved.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 10:38:11 am
Lord I'd hope so.

You guys that are so critical of the O-Line play last year forget that we had RB's and TE's missing blocks that contributed to a lot of our woes, but it was always the OL that received the blame. Everybody needs to execute their blocks better this year.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 10:44:42 am
You guys that are so critical of the O-Line play last year forget that we had RB's and TE's missing blocks that contributed to a lot of our woes, but it was always the OL that received the blame. Everybody needs to execute their blocks better this year.

And it's also easy to forget that TE and RB were being forced to do things they'd never had to do because of the weakness in the OL as well. Sprinkle was under utilized in the pass game because he had to pick up slack blocking so often.

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 10:44:42 am

That'd be a great point if I didn't watch our O-linemen whiff on so many plays.

And what PR said.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 10:54:07 am
That'd be a great point if I didn't watch our O-linemen whiff on so many plays.

And what PR said.

Exactly. That crap should never happen again. If it does CBB has got to go. No excuses when you've got Hugh caliber linemen on the bench.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 22, 2017, 10:52:31 am
And it's also easy to forget that TE and RB were being forced to do things they'd never had to do because of the weakness in the OL as well. Sprinkle was under utilized in the pass game because he had to pick up slack blocking so often.

That isn't true, but you believe what you will.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 11:00:32 am
That isn't true, but you believe what you will.

It absolutely is, but believe what you will as well.  Compare the number of passes to TE last season to the seasons before.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Reservoir Hogs

Don't think our running game will take a step back at all... Whaley averaged 5.4 yard per carry LY, and was explosive on screens as well.  Need a back to step up behind him, but with the new transfer and two freshman surely one can get some carries.  It all hinges on our line.  If they are as improved as we all hope run game will be fine.  If they are as bad as LY, its gonna be a long season.
I feel they will be much better...

Wildhog

For the record, I think our offense will be pretty darn good.  The OL HAS to be better, and a senior Austin Allen should be one of the top few QB's in the SEC.  Whaley is a stud and I think we'll be fine at WR.

Curious to see who steps up at TE.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 22, 2017, 11:05:56 am
It absolutely is, but believe what you will as well.  Compare the number of passes to TE last season to the seasons before.

I'm aware of the stat but that alone isn't necessarily the reason that the ball wasn't thrown in his direction more often. We used TE's to "chip" DE's/LB's on run plays and on pass plays as they went out in patterns. And in fact, Sprinkles numbers were about the same in 2016 as they were the year before. What was missing was the other TE's not making more catches. Between Sprinkle and Cantrell, Cantrell was and is by far, the more punishing and effective blocker who would be used for blocking in run and pass pro situations. I'm not sure that a case can be made for any correlation between Sprinkle's reception numbers being the same last season as the season before and a notion that it was caused by a lack of ability in our O-Line.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Here are some stats to consider:

In 2016 we returned 35.99% of our offensive production (yards) from the previous season.
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2016/JUNE16/DBJune17.html

In 2017 we return 55% of our offensive production from last season.
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2017/JUNE17/DBJune16.html

Going into the 2016 season our offensive line had a total of 47 collegiate starts.
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2016/JUNE16/DBJune13.html

Going into the 2017 season our offensive line has a total of 70 collegiate starts.
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2017/JUNE17/DBJune13.html

The running game going into last season was just as big a question mark as this season.

Going into last season our returning production was the following:

Kody Walker (coming off of multiple injuries/surgery): 394 yards rushing
RWIII (coming off of neck injury/surgery): 254 yard rushing

We lost our leading rusher (Alex Collins - 1577 yards rushing) to the NFL draft.

This season our returning rushers are:

Whaley: 602 yards rushing
Hammonds: 88 yards rushing

We lose our leading rusher (RWIII - 1360 yards rushing) due to career ending injuries.

Last year we were uncertain at the quarterback position.  This year we return one of the best in the conference.

The major difference will be the production at wide receiver and tight end.  How fast can the new guys adapt?  Will one of the young tight ends step up?

Of course all of this means nothing without better offensive line play.  We have one of the best centers in the country.  We have to see vast improvement across the entire line.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 10:32:35 am

I find it amazing that someone was sacked more than Austin allen last season.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

LZH

Okay, here is my serious take. It will take a couple of weeks for the offense to really jell,  but unfortunately it will take longer than that for the defense to get it's act together.

I am afraid we are going into the second half of the season with a losing record. Could we pull out 8 wins? Sure, it's possible - we have a good quarterback and a good running back with some promising talent on the edges. Defense?....I have zero idea. But, everyone else in the SEC is expecting to be better, too.

Does BB need to win 9-10 games to keep his job?....yes (no). Truth is he will get another one year pass because of the defensive realignment and we will be talking this same bullshite all over again in 12 months.

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2017, 11:47:07 am
Okay, here is my serious take. It will take a couple of weeks for the offense to really jell,  but unfortunately it will take longer than that for the defense to get it's act together.

I am afraid we are going into the second half of the season with a losing record. Could we pull out 8 wins? Sure, it's possible - we have a good quarterback and a good running back with some promising talent on the edges. Defense?....I have zero idea. But, everyone else in the SEC is expects to be better too.

Does BB need to win 9-10 games to keep his job?....yes (no). Truth is he will get another one year pass because of the defensive realignment and we will be talking this same bullshite all over again in 12 months.

If he wins 7 games or less this year, there's really nothing he can do next year (short of winning a New Year's Six bowl) that will get me back on board.  You only think I'm negative now. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 11:48:57 am
You only think I'm negative now.

Meh.  You've proven to be pretty level headed.  You acknowledge the good with the bad unlike others.

I think most people would agree with the fact that Bielema has to win more.  Simple.  If he doesn't then he will be on the hot seat for more and more fans.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 11:48:57 am
If he wins 7 games or less this year, there's really nothing he can do next year (short of winning a New Year's Six bowl) that will get me back on board.  You only think I'm negative now. 

Wildhog, people come at us with "it sure must be miserable to be so negative all the time"....

No, I'm positive about my Hogs. But I will die before I stick my ass in the air and say "thank you...that wasn't so bad". Screw that.

What some of these top water fans don't understand is that the SEC is kill or be killed.... Not "let's just get by...."

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2017, 11:56:38 am
Wildhog, people come at us with "it sure must be miserable to be so negative all the time"....

No, I'm positive about my Hogs. I will die before I stick my ass in the air and say "thank you...that wasn't so bad". Screw that.

What some of these top water fans don't understand is that the SEC is kill or be killed.... Not "let's just get by...."

Yep.

1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2017, 11:56:38 am

No, I'm positive about my Hogs. But I will die before I stick my ass in the air and say "thank you...that wasn't so bad". Screw that.

OK, and I am tempted to ask you what your realistic solution is to the problem, but we are supposed to be talking about whether the offense will be improved or not, so I won't ask.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 12:00:37 pm
OK, and I am tempted to ask you what your realistic solution is to the problem, but we are supposed to be talking about whether the offense will be improved or not, so I won't ask.

Yeah, because we always stay on topic...
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 12:03:45 pm
Palm, meet face.

It was pretty bad at times.

AnM and Auburn are two other games that were really bad as well.

Florida and Miss State games seemed like we were protecting well and opening giant holes.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on June 22, 2017, 12:05:52 pm
It was pretty bad at times.

AnM and Auburn are two other games that were really bad as well.

Florida and Miss State games seemed like we were protecting well and opening giant holes.

The inconsistency of Bielema-coached teams is infuriating.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 12:00:37 pm

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2017, 11:47:07 am

I am afraid we are going into the second half of the season with a losing record. Could we pull out 8 wins? Sure, it's possible - we have a good quarterback and a good running back with some promising talent on the edges. Defense?....I have zero idea. But, everyone else in the SEC is expecting to be better, too.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

LZH

I have a lot of confidence in Enos, I really do. If our OL isn't very good this year, then keep AA on his feet long enough to do what he does best. Maybe move the pocket around some. I am not worried about our WR's....yet. We should be fine by game three or so.

Add: Of course, moving the pocket means that AA is out on the edge all by himself....usually against a DE, a LB, or a SS.....God bless him.  :)

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2017, 12:13:04 pm
I have a lot of confidence in Enos, I really do. If our OL isn't very good this year, then keep AA on his feet long enough to do what he does best. Maybe move the pocket around some. I am not worried about our WR's....yet. We should be fine by game three or so.

WR will be fine.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

My two biggest concerns are pass pro and not having enough talent on D to win a game or two we need to win to have a decent season.

Hogs49ers

With an improved and more experienced O-Line plus the great fortune of returning the top QB in the SEC IMO - I would definitely say better and I am actually surprised that more people are not a bit more excited about this year because I am starting to get pretty pumped up when I think about it!
SCREW Vandy!

hawgmasta

I gotta agree that if the o-line plays well we will have an 8+ win season. A senior QB, Whaley is a first round talent; if we can keep them from getting hassled Enos can work his magic.

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 11:31:17 am
I'm aware of the stat but that alone isn't necessarily the reason that the ball wasn't thrown in his direction more often. We used TE's to "chip" DE's/LB's on run plays and on pass plays as they went out in patterns. And in fact, Sprinkles numbers were about the same in 2016 as they were the year before. What was missing was the other TE's not making more catches. Between Sprinkle and Cantrell, Cantrell was and is by far, the more punishing and effective blocker who would be used for blocking in run and pass pro situations. I'm not sure that a case can be made for any correlation between Sprinkle's reception numbers being the same last season as the season before and a notion that it was caused by a lack of ability in our O-Line.

So the lack of the usual jump in production between junior and senior year is just normal? I'd have to disagree.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 22, 2017, 12:30:12 pm
With an improved and more experienced O-Line plus the great fortune of returning the top QB in the SEC IMO - I would definitely say better and I am actually surprised that more people are not a bit more excited about this year because I am starting to get pretty pumped up when I think about it!

Because the only known quantity is QB, Center and 1 RB. Pretty much questions marks everywhere else.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2017, 12:13:04 pm

Add: Of course, moving the pocket means that AA is out on the edge all by himself....usually against a DE, a LB, or a SS.....God bless him.  :)

If the OL isn't improved we will have to go out of the shotgun formation most of the time to give AA time.

FANONTHEHILL

For what it's worth, sacks and the responsibility for those sacks are categorized in 4 ways. OL responsibility, blocking TE responsibility, RB blocking responsibility, and QB not making reads and throwing it away.  In 2016 the OL was responsible for just under 65% of the sacks.  In 2015 it was right at 60%.  He Oline needs to be better for sure, but when you look at the statistics provided by team game film you can come to these conclusions as well.  Brandon was better at getting rid of the ball in bad situations. That's just experience.  The TEs were not as strong in chip blocks on there way into routes, or just straight up blocking.  They missed Hunter.  You also cannot under value the blocking ability of Alex Collins.  Rawleigh and Devwah were nowhere near as good at pass blocking.  Kody was better, but hurt most of the year.  That is why you saw so much of Kody in the Belk Bowl.  All four phases need to improve and will.  Preparation and and a year of experience should help a lot.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Wildhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 22, 2017, 12:55:34 pm
For what it's worth, sacks and the responsibility for those sacks are categorized in 4 ways. OL responsibility, blocking TE responsibility, RB blocking responsibility, and QB not making reads and throwing it away.  In 2016 the OL was responsible for just under 65% of the sacks.  In 2015 it was right at 60%.  He Oline needs to be better for sure, but when you look at the statistics provided by team game film you can come to these conclusions as well.  Brandon was better at getting rid of the ball in bad situations. That's just experience.  The TEs were not as strong in chip blocks on there way into routes, or just straight up blocking.  They missed Hunter.  You also cannot under value the blocking ability of Alex Collins.  Rawleigh and Devwah were nowhere near as good at pass blocking.  Kody was better, but hurt most of the year.  That is why you saw so much of Kody in the Belk Bowl.  All four phases need to improve and will.  Preparation and and a year of experience should help a lot.

That's likely similar to every other team, as well.

Thanks for the info, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015