Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 to 2014 seasons Vs. 2016 to 2017 seasons

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 16, 2017, 04:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

I think that we can approximate 2014's D.  We won't look the same of course and we may not be ranked nationally as high due to playing slightly (I think anyway) more high powered offenses but if you took those same guys and played them this coming year we'd probably get about the same production.

One reason is that both 2014 and this year had new DCs and though CPR has some history in the SEC the conference won't have a book on him due to what he's been doing the last several years.

Another is that I think that our secondary now will be a bit better and the front should be about equal to 2014.  The reason I say that the front should be is because of the attacking style of the 3-4 and having a talent equal to/ maybe somewhat better than 2014.  We haven't shown anyone to be a Spaight yet but if one or two of the linebacker corps decide to live in the film room like he did then we have the talent to equal or better the production there.

And third is because I think that our guys are going to want to as bad as the 2014 group.  You can have all of the talent in the world on defense but if you don't have the hunger you aren't going to do much- look back at J Clowney's production for instance.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Mike_e on April 20, 2017, 04:47:27 am
I think that we can approximate 2014's D.  We won't look the same of course and we may not be ranked nationally as high due to playing slightly (I think anyway) more high powered offenses but if you took those same guys and played them this coming year we'd probably get about the same production.

One reason is that both 2014 and this year had new DCs and though CPR has some history in the SEC the conference won't have a book on him due to what he's been doing the last several years.

Another is that I think that our secondary now will be a bit better and the front should be about equal to 2014.  The reason I say that the front should be is because of the attacking style of the 3-4 and having a talent equal to/ maybe somewhat better than 2014.  We haven't shown anyone to be a Spaight yet but if one or two of the linebacker corps decide to live in the film room like he did then we have the talent to equal or better the production there.

And third is because I think that our guys are going to want to as bad as the 2014 group.  You can have all of the talent in the world on defense but if you don't have the hunger you aren't going to do much- look back at J Clowney's production for instance.
There are ways to take advantage of attacking defenses. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 17, 2017, 10:48:40 pm
It takes Dmac type talent to pull off a play telegraphed to the defense prior to the snap. That's not in the present arsenal.

What I feel made the WildHog great was it had a true triple option. Dmac run, Dmac throw, or Dmac handoff to the man in motion.

It seems today teams use a WildHog play as more of a run only play.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 20, 2017, 05:12:06 am
There are ways to take advantage of attacking defenses. 

There are more ways to take advantage of any defense that doesn't attack and be aggressive, but instead chooses to lay back, react and play prevent all the time. At least when a defense is more attacking in nature you are forcing the offense to react to the defense, instead of the other way around. An attacking defense is going to guess wrong and allow some big plays at times, but were on our heels as a defense last year, trying to play a preventative style and we gave up more big plays than at any time in the last 4 years. I'll take my chances with a new 3-4 (that often looks like a 5-2) and is far more aggressive in style of play.
Go Hogs Go!