Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cooking

Started by cableguy, January 17, 2017, 08:24:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cableguy

January 17, 2017, 08:24:57 pm Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:38:00 pm by cableguy
We don't win this game without Cook. His play on defense was magnificent against bigger and stronger players. He plays within himself, box out on defense and gives everything when he's on the floor. I almost forgot, he plays smart basketball.

Dirty

He played better tonight.  Could it have been because he wasn't wearing the mask.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cableguy on January 17, 2017, 08:24:57 pm
We don't win this game without Cook. His play on defense was magnificent against bigger and stronger players. He plays within himself, box out on defense and gives everything when he's on the floor. I almost forgothe, he plays smart basketball.
I agree. The 4 spot should be his from here on out. He's Mr. Fundamental right now. Thomas is struggling...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Dirty on January 17, 2017, 08:26:53 pm
He played better tonight.  Could it have been because he wasn't wearing the mask.
+1, less tentative to get in there and mix it up.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 17, 2017, 08:28:00 pm
I agree. The 4 spot should be his from here on out. He's Mr. Fundamental right now.
I don't see why not.  Mike isn't going to play Trey and Moses together, obviously.  Might as well get Cooking!

HogBreath

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 17, 2017, 08:28:00 pm
I agree. The 4 spot should be his from here on out. He's Mr. Fundamental right now.
Exactly, he did play well, this team will go as far as Cook, Barford & Macon can take them.

And Watkins and his new found stroke.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dominicanhog

If he were to step up it would be huge.. the 4 has been our achilles heel for years

hawginbigd1

We don't win this game without Cook. His play on defense was magnificent against bigger and stronger players. He plays within himself, box out on defense and gives everything when he's on the floor. I almost forgothe, he plays smart basketball.
Sorry I have seen almost nothing resembling that player at any point this season, the question is can he repeat it.

lynbug

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 17, 2017, 08:32:13 pm
Sorry I have seen almost nothing resembling that player at any point this season, the question is can he repeat it.
Well, don't you think he can be as good or better than Thomas?  I thought he played pretty well down the stretch with 4 fouls.

Letsroll1200

When Cook is on, Thomas is off. When Thomas is on, Cook is off. I'm happy for the Hogs.

dsims2k3

He played much better without the face mask. He looked much more comfortable.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

cableguy

January 17, 2017, 09:03:00 pm #11 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:31:21 pm by cableguy
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 17, 2017, 08:32:13 pm
I've seen stretches where he he's played well on defense and he can make the mid-range jumper. He looks bad when he doesn't have any low post help. I expect close to the same every night because he doesn't have to score to impact the game. I feel like he wants to be our Dennis Rodman.  Other players sometimes feel like they have to take the shot, if they do something well on defense. Side note glad to see CMA finally sit down a player for taking a bad shot after they got a steal or rebound on defense.

Hogimus Prime

When he gets switched out on guards he can stay infront of them. Which helps keep the defense from breaking down. 

rzrbackramsfan

He played great tonight.  I'm sure it'll be Thomas playing well next week, though.  I feel like Thomas and cook go back and forth based on who is playing better.

The_Iceman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 17, 2017, 09:19:38 pm
He played great tonight.  I'm sure it'll be Thomas playing well next week, though.  I feel like Thomas and cook go back and forth based on who is playing better.

Looking at their game logs, you never know who will show up.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 17, 2017, 09:19:38 pm
What kills me about Thomas is that he has a lot of natural ability but he doesn't play with confidence at times. Almost like he's unsure with himself... :-\

And some of those dumb fouls and over the back fouls are just mind blowing. You don't know by now that you cant go through someone or over someone to get the rebound... ???

ShadowHawg

I feel like Cook have finally made the adjustment from jucos to d1. I expect more consistent play going forward with ability to knock Down the 15footer enough to make other teams honor him offensively.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 17, 2017, 09:29:59 pm
Looking at their game logs, you never know who will show up.

At least we usually have one or the other and not neither.  I could've used a little bit of bailey though.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 17, 2017, 09:35:11 pm
I feel like Cook have finally made the adjustment from jucos to d1. I expect more consistent play going forward with ability to knock Down the 15footer enough to make other teams honor him offensively.
Exactly, the pump fake and blow by should be next off of that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 17, 2017, 09:37:57 pm
At least we usually have one or the other and not neither.  I could've used a little bit of bailey though.
You know we have a much deeper team this year if guys like Bailey and Jones can't even touch the floor. Those guys are talented.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HogBreath on January 17, 2017, 08:30:04 pm
Exactly, he did play well, this team will go as far as Cook, Barford & Macon can take them.

And Watkins and his new found stroke.

Manny 3 of 3 from downtown and they were at the most critical times.... wow, just wow...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 17, 2017, 09:41:48 pm
You know we have a much deeper team this year if guys like Bailey and Jones can't even touch the floor. Those guys are talented.

For sure.  And you know we'll have very good team chemistry and a flow when we start to get those guys minutes without losing chemistry or game flow, which I think will happen.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 09:43:28 pm
Manny 3 of 3 from downtown and they were at the most critical times.... wow, just wow...

Bailed his coach out with those.

forrest city joe

We don't win this game without Cook. His play on defense was magnificent against bigger and stronger players. He plays within himself, box out on defense and gives everything when he's on the floor. I almost forgot, he plays smart basketball.
Mike needs to make a change in his starting lineup in my opinion.Cook needs to start over Thomas.HE DOES THE LITTLE THINGS MOST PEOPLE DON'T NOTICE. BUT IT HELPS THE TEAM WIN.hope Mike will make that change.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 17, 2017, 09:44:42 pm

Hardly. MA kept them connected in this game. I think we got a bucket after each time out to answer their runs.

We played poorly tonight and still won. That means it wasn't all on the players. Manny stepped up and took up Dusty's slack. Dusty was working hard to get open but they weren't going to let that happen.

No doubt Manny was big, but Cook's defense and activity on the boards are what kept the Aggies from having a field goal that last 6 minutes. That is actually what won the game.

cableguy

A&M played great defense

ShadowHawg

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: cableguy on January 17, 2017, 10:09:24 pm
A&M played great defense

Hey don't give credit where credit is due, we just suck, ok?

hogwood

I agree. He played the whole game without fouling out despite playing with 4 fouls in a pretty physical matchup down low and was huge in making several stops. Not to mention that time out he called when he was getting trapped and couldn't pass. Great poise when we really needed it.

hogwood

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 17, 2017, 09:15:38 pm
When he gets switched out on guards he can stay infront of them. Which helps keep the defense from breaking down.

This too.

razorhead94

Cook has outplayed Thomas all year.  Don't get all the fascination with Thomas
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 17, 2017, 09:44:42 pm
Wouldn't say he bailed his coach out. I'd say he finally shot the shot he should have been shooting. He's been passing those up for a while, and while his stroke isn't pretty. A college basketball player should be able to knock down wide open three's at a pretty high percentage. Now, if he starts hitting those with a hand in his face and I might would say he's bailing CMA out. But you get a pass out of the pain for a wide open three, you better be able to knock it down at a d1 university.

Dirty

Player of the game was MK.  Those last four rebounds and put back was huge.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dirty on January 18, 2017, 06:29:48 am
Player of the game was MK.  Those last four rebounds and put back was huge.
Those were his first four rebounds.  No, those were his last four rebounds.  Wait, he only had four rebounds ???

wheelspigharvey

nm, deleting an unhelpful comment

gmarv

we don,t win this game with out cook or manny they both stepped up big.

cableguy

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2017, 11:09:38 pm
Wouldn't say he bailed his coach out. I'd say he finally shot the shot he should have been shooting. He's been passing those up for a while, and while his stroke isn't pretty. A college basketball player should be able to knock down wide open three's at a pretty high percentage. Now, if he starts hitting those with a hand in his face and I might would say he's bailing CMA out. But you get a pass out of the pain for a wide open three, you better be able to knock it down at a d1 university.
All this.

lynbug

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2017, 07:48:28 am
Those were his first four rebounds.  No, those were his last four rebounds.  Wait, he only had four rebounds ???
Once again, Ponderin, lmao.  Which makes it even more surprising that we somehow won.  We've got to get the 3-4 positions worked out (??? :-\ :-\ :-\???) or we'll have trouble when tourney time arrives.

NWAHog479

Quote from: lynbug on January 18, 2017, 10:21:57 am
Once again, Ponderin, lmao.  Which makes it even more surprising that we somehow won.  We've got to get the 3-4 positions worked out (??? :-\ :-\ :-\???) or we'll have trouble when tourney time arrives.

Really hope we get Rodgerick Brown so he can play the 3 for us but also rebound like a 4. Modica/Qualls were great at this, also allows us to play small ball sometimes. Coty Clarke was definitely a 4 for US, but a true 3 that rebounded like a monster. Man I miss those guys.