Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M game predictions

Started by Razorod, January 16, 2017, 11:22:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

Think it will be a loss. Hope it's not.....But since our team still has not established any consistency in any area of the game I don't think we can win there.  Quite honestly, I still can't figure what happened at Tennessee. 

hogsanity

Quote from: lynbug on January 16, 2017, 10:42:08 pm
Think it will be a loss. Hope it's not.....But since our team still has not established any consistency in any area of the game I don't think we can win there.  Quite honestly, I still can't figure what happened at Tennessee. 

TN had a horrible shooting night is what happened. The vols took 10 more 2 pt shots, and 8 more 3 pt shots but only made 2 fewr 2 pt shots, same # of 3 pt shots ( 5 ) as the hogs and same # of Ft's. Hogs shot 50% from 2 while TN shot 39% and Hogs shot 45% from 3 while Tn shot 26%.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

79-67 Aggies. Poor shooting. Killed on offensive glass. Will leave Gilder and Hogg open too much.

EastexHawg

My prediction is that starting around 8:30 tonight the excuses will flow like the mighty Mississippi.  I'll even help out with one of them..."A&M is probably one of the top 15 teams in the country.  Yeah, they were only 9-7 and 1-4 coming in, but look who they have played!"

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

MountieDawg

SEC!

Jackrabbit Hog

We will control the first half and the crowd will be really into the game going into halftime.  Then we will come out the second half, play tight, turn the ball over, and basically go into a shell on offense.  A late turnover will prove costly, allowing A&M to score at the very end and send the game into overtime.  In the overtime we will do nothing and A&M will score quickly to win the game.

Oh wait.  This is basketball?  Sorry.  Wrong forum.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dirty

Quote from: Frontrowhog on January 16, 2017, 12:51:01 pm
Since A&M joined the SEC Arkansas has lost by 18, 16, and 23 in College Station. I don't see any reason for this game to be different. A&M 85-68.

that's because you are blind

Hawg Red

Those of you predicting an Arkansas win based on how bad A&M is, what will your reaction be if we lose this game?

razorpimp

I think A&M has more offensive rebounds than we have total rebounds....well maybe a little exaggeration but it will feel like it...

A&M 72
Hogs 64

Yuck

cableguy

I expect the Aggies to slow it down.  The only way the Aggies wins tonight is with help from the ref. I wouldn't play D. Thomas a lot because A&M big man would eat his lunch if he continues bump his man on defense. I have notice when Moses have the ball the ref don't call the same tic-tac fouls for him and CMA need to ride the ref for that. I believe Dusty Hanna has a big game. My prediction Hogs 73 to Aggies 65.

Biggus Piggus

Understand - aTm has lost so far to Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina and Mississippi State.

Arkansas will have to play better than it has yet this season to win comfortably at College Station. The game should be very close. If we lose big, chalk another one down for "outcoached."
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: cableguy on January 17, 2017, 11:48:56 am
.  The only way the Aggies wins tonight is with help from the ref.

Hmmm, I missed it by 2 hours. I said the blame the refs would start around 2pm.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cableguy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 12:02:27 pm
Hmmm, I missed it by 2 hours. I said the blame the refs would start around 2pm.
Hogsanity if one teams shoots 40 free throws and the other teams shoots 20, I think the ref made a difference in the game. Foul difference can't be contributed to style of play because Hogs don't press and hack like in the past. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

One thing I just can't get over is our inability to box out!

It takes almost zero effort to box out for rebounds.

Hawg Red

Quote from: cableguy on January 17, 2017, 12:15:21 pm
Hogsanity if one teams shoots 40 free throws and the other teams shoots 20, I think the ref made a difference in the game. Foul difference can't be contributed to style of play because Hogs don't press and hack like in the past.

My man, we're 300th in the country in fouls (meaning we foul a lot).

hogsanity

But you are already saying that the ONLY way A&M can win is if the refs help them. And if you do not think foul difference can be attributed to style of play you just do not watch much basketball.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 17, 2017, 11:57:58 am
Understand - aTm has lost so far to Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina and Mississippi State.

Arkansas will have to play better than it has yet this season to win comfortably at College Station. The game should be very close. If we lose big, chalk another one down for "outcoached."

and if we win, Mike out coached Kennedy?

majp51

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 17, 2017, 12:26:43 pm
My man, we're 300th in the country in fouls (meaning we foul a lot).

When you press for the steal, versus press to wear down the opposition, higher could rate is a natural by product.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 09:48:10 am
TN had a horrible shooting night is what happened. The vols took 10 more 2 pt shots, and 8 more 3 pt shots but only made 2 fewr 2 pt shots, same # of 3 pt shots ( 5 ) as the hogs and same # of Ft's. Hogs shot 50% from 2 while TN shot 39% and Hogs shot 45% from 3 while Tn shot 26%.

couldn't have defense, could it?

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 01:12:57 pm
couldn't have defense, could it?

where did I say it didn't have anything to do with? I just said they had a horrible shooting night, and the numbers bear that out.

Hawg Red

Quote from: majp51 on January 17, 2017, 01:12:45 pm
When you press for the steal, versus press to wear down the opposition, higher could rate is a natural by product.

Right. So style of play matters. Our style of play is conducive to high foul rates. We're making it easy on teams when we come to their gym.

bhogs05

Bacon_Bitz

Hogs 84 Aggies 68. Macon and Hannah's both go for 20+.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The OTR

Hogs 79 Aggies 66

And it won't be as close as that sounds. 

Pork Twain

I am sure our guys will play their butts off but, I still expect another loss
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

razorhead94

Texas A&M is -5 for the game.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 17, 2017, 12:23:37 pm

That's what drives me crazy too. Just stand there and watch as the other team puts up 4 or 5 shots in a row. I will say that that is the one thing this team DOES do consistently. That and letting 5'10" guards drive the lane for easy buckets while you stand by and barely even raise a hand to stop them.

Have to count on the other team having a bad shooting night and us getting some lucky bounces. Doesn't usually happen when you play on the road.

BTW, I believe the Ags lost by about the same score at Starkville as we lost to them AT BWA.

More of the SOS tonight.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 17, 2017, 11:40:32 am
Those of you predicting an Arkansas win based on how bad A&M is, what will your reaction be if we lose this game?

The same reaction I would've had if the Hogs had lost to Missouri. There is no way the Hogs should lose this game. No excuse for it whatsoever. A&M is not a good team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cableguy

I agree with you on the boxing out. We need everyone crashing the boards on defense, including the guards to win this game. I recall our guards helping rebound a lot last year. Another thing to consider, this year's team take a lot of jump shots when they're no one in position to rebound the ball. I think that's because our juco players are still adjusting to the college game. There's nothing more deflating to me than to see the Hogs take an outside shot and the other team have 3 players in position to rebound to our none.

The OTR

Quote from: cableguy on January 17, 2017, 02:18:27 pm
I agree with you on the boxing out. We need everyone crashing the boards on defense, including the guards to win this game. I recall our guards helping rebound a lot last year. Another thing to consider, this year's team take a lot of jump shots when they're no one in position to rebound the ball. I think that's because our juco players are still adjusting to the college game. There's nothing more deflating to me than to see the Hogs take an outside shot and the other team have 3 players in position to rebound to our none.

Boxing out is overrated. 

Dennis Rodman never boxed out anybody in his life but was the about the best rebounder inch for inch the NBA has ever had.  Rebounding is more about timing, being in position, reading where the shot is going to come off, and effort than it is about blocking out.

Granted if the other team has a guy who is just killing you on the offensive boards you might want to make sure that someone puts a body on him every time but with all the threes most of the offensive rebounds other teams get are long rebounds anyway. 

Sometimes I think I need to just hold a weekend seminar on sports and make all you guys pay $100 to hear me educate you on things.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 02:41:27 pm
Boxing out is overrated. 

Dennis Rodman never boxed out anybody in his life but was the about the best rebounder inch for inch the NBA has ever had.  Rebounding is more about timing, being in position, reading where the shot is going to come off, and effort than it is about blocking out.

hobhog

So is this another "must win"?

Dominicanhog

The OTR

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 17, 2017, 02:46:40 pm

He's establishing position, not exactly boxing out.

If you want to send me some pictures of him boxing out I'd be glad to review them. But these aren't boxing out photos.

Biggus Piggus

Boxing out requires being unoccupied at the moment necessary to establish that kind of position. Which means on defense you have to be paying attention mainly to what the ballhandler is doing.

If your defense is trying to disrupt the ability of each opposing player to receive a pass, you're not always going to be in position to box out. Then you have to focus on fighting for the ball + anticipating where it might bounce.

Eddie Sutton's defensive approach also did not always leave defenders in position to box out. Same problem. What are you looking at when the ball goes in the air?

In basketball, you always give up something to get something else you really want.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 03:27:44 pm
He's establishing position, not exactly boxing out.

If you want to send me some pictures of him boxing out I'd be glad to review them. But these aren't boxing out photos.

He clearly has Chris Gatling boxed out. You are out of your mind if you think someone could lead the NBA rebounding and not be great at boxing out.

I'm limited to what Google provides, but he's boxing out in those photos.

QuoteBoxing out is a critical part of basketball, as it prevents your opponent from getting rebounds. Boxing out in basketball is a technique used by a player to position himself to best get a rebound after a shot has been missed. It is so effective that a shorter player can out rebound a taller player.

Certainly would describe what is going on in those photos and certainly describes Rodman.

The OTR

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 17, 2017, 03:39:53 pm
Boxing out requires being unoccupied at the moment necessary to establish that kind of position. Which means on defense you have to be paying attention mainly to what the ballhandler is doing.

If your defense is trying to disrupt the ability of each opposing player to receive a pass, you're not always going to be in position to box out. Then you have to focus on fighting for the ball + anticipating where it might bounce.

Eddie Sutton's defensive approach also did not always leave defenders in position to box out. Same problem. What are you looking at when the ball goes in the air?

In basketball, you always give up something to get something else you really want.

Nail on head. 

Letsroll1200

Dusty Hannah and Jaylen Barford

cableguy

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 02:41:27 pm
Boxing out is overrated. 

Granted if the other team has a guy who is just killing you on the offensive boards you might want to make sure that someone puts a body on him every time but with all the threes most of the offensive rebounds other teams get are long rebounds anyway. 

Sometimes I think I need to just hold a weekend seminar on sports and make all you guys pay $100 to hear me educate you on things.

Being in position for the rebound is boxing out in my book. I've seen the other players have prime real estate position in our guys don't even try to fight them for it, that's a lack of effort. We need max effort from guys other than Moses Kingsley. We have the better team and the only way the Aggies win is if we give them easy buckets such as easy put backs.

Dropkick

Quote from: root_hawg on January 16, 2017, 12:40:54 pm
Ark is favored by 4, should not be that close.  AM isnt good.
Where? Put me down for a max bet of A&M plus 4.

Everywhere I get info line is A&M by at least 4.5

deserthog

With so many of us predicting a loss, we might just win this game going away and I would love it as well as everybody predicting a loss. WPS

ishankem

Aggies win 80-79

Mike Anderson throws a fit, gets T'd up, and costs us the game by 1.  Unbelievable?

Hollywood870

BDSCT51

I truly hope I'm wrong but I am seeing this as another ugly road loss.

I just don't get the Jekyll/Hyde personality that has become Razorback basketball. Coaches, players, attitude, leadership from the bench and the floor, you name it and when the Piggies are on the road its a 180 degree turn away from the home floor. Of course there have been rare exceptions once or twice a year, but I just don't get it!
Bleeding Razorback Red

majp51

Quote from: BDSCT51 on January 17, 2017, 05:16:46 pm
I truly hope I'm wrong but I am seeing this as another ugly road loss.

I just don't get the Jekyll/Hyde personality that has become Razorback basketball. Coaches, players, attitude, leadership from the bench and the floor, you name it and when the Piggies are on the road its a 180 degree turn away from the home floor. Of course there have been rare exceptions once or twice a year, but I just don't get it!

I don't know, A&M plays to the strength we do have, so I wouldn't be shocked to see us win.

ON the flip side A&M's losses in the SEC are also all to the teams atop the standings. so it is possible, however unlikely, that their guards have been bad because of the opposition they faced.

If their guards are exactly as bad as they have looked though, well losing would really hurt any chance we have of making the tourmament.

phadedhawg

I will miss most of the game since it starts at 4 pm my time.

I don't expect us to win.  I wouldn't be surprised if we lose by 15

Biggus Piggus

The Aggies overwhelm some opponents.

Beat LSU by 30.
Beat Northwestern State by 28.
Beat St. Francis by 23.

What did those teams have in common?

* Horrible ballhandling.
* Very weak interior defense.
* Poor perimeter defense.
* Used to playing at a fast tempo.
[CENSORED]!