Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike being "miked"

Started by hamsam, January 15, 2017, 08:12:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hamsam

When I heard the "coaching" that was going during the timeouts, I was just floored.

From the "They punkin' you" to the "Why you think we lift weights? Back up in there!" And that's just what it pull off the top of my head. There was much more but I'm not going to try to look it up. If you were watching, you know what I am talking about.

Until those moments, I was glad that CMA was here. At the first moment, before we even lost the game, I looked at my wife and said, "Does that sound like coaching to you?"

That is NOT coaching. Now, I will admit that there could have been a lot more said that we couldn't hear. Producers are known to spin their productions much like writers spin their articles.

Here are my thoughts...

1. I like Mike Anderson.
  2. I think CMA is a really good man.
    3. If we don't make the NCAA tourney, I think CMA should go.
       4. I don't care if we lose recruits over it.
         5. The program shouldn't be held hostage for what might be in 2-3 yrs
          6. I hope we make the NCAA and CMA leads us to another NC!

However, If the UofA keeps CMA after failing to make the NCAA tourney again, then he's punkin' us!!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

ottopit

It doesn't really matter, when you start getting top notch recruits, the system will take care of itself....like early 90's Nolan; Mikes' not stupid even though he's  mic'd he may come across less than what you would hope for, but can you imagine what Nolan would sound like if they mic'd him up?

HOGINTENNESSEE

When coaches are recorded like that, the TV is not allowed to play back any game strategy.

That why when they playback any coach it's always about effort and basic fundamentals like Boxing Out and getting back on defense.

Sivad

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 15, 2017, 10:04:00 pm
When coaches are recorded like that, the TV is not allowed to play back any game strategy.
They don't have to worry about that with Anderson.

elksnort

"They punkin' you" is all time gold though.

rude1

This is clearly being over played because we aren't winning the games we need to win. I see a lot of people taking out of context on CMA being miked up. I heard nothing different when Cal was miked up, never heard anything earth shattering from him either when it comes to strategy, unless you think "'it's going to be a 40 minute game" is a strategy.

King Kong

As another poster already mentioned the camera crews are limited in what they can playback.

If you want hear MA's detailed instructions you will have to pay for a ticket behind the bench

rzrbackramsfan

I love how everybody complains about our rebounding, and rebounding is mainly a who wants it more kind of thing, and our coach questions their manhood for not rebounding well and being physical enough.

When our guys get dominated, that's exactly what I want our coach to say to his players.

hamsam

Like I said, I understand the "production" side of the quotes but there was just no fire in CMA or his players. I hope he turns it around. I really do. Go Hogs.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

rude1

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 15, 2017, 10:49:43 pm
I love how everybody complains about our rebounding, and rebounding is mainly a who wants it more kind of thing, and our coach questions their manhood for not rebounding well and being physical enough.

When our guys get dominated, that's exactly what I want our coach to say to his players.
Exactly. There was nothing wrong with what he said in context, from the questioning to why do we lift weights down to tip the ball back out, he was spot on, but the agenda crowd with as much legitimate stuff to complain about have to try to take a dig at his intellect, and I think everyone deep down inside knows why....................

hamsam

Quote from: rude1 on January 15, 2017, 10:59:33 pm
Exactly. There was nothing wrong with what he said in context, from the questioning to why do we lift weights down to tip the ball back out, he was spot on, but the agenda crowd with as much legitimate stuff to complain about have to try to take a dig at his intellect, and I think everyone deep down inside knows why....................

The agenda is... Win... Make they tourney 3 of 4 years... Or get your ass out! (While taking millions with you!)

Kevin

they are sophomores & freshman, time to man up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgHeadCheese

Im not sure why everyone is expecting to hear some great play drawn up while a coach is mic'd up. Go back and watch the Kentucky game when Coach Cal was mic'd up. He didnt say anything about x's and o's. Ive seen Izzo and Pitino mic'd up as well and not once did they say anything about strategy.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 15, 2017, 10:49:43 pm

You do know that in the past when asked about poor rebounding and too many fouls, Mike blew off both saying we make up for it in turnovers and forcing the pace. His style of defense is not conducive to solid rebounding nor does it limit fouls. The main thing is though that it no longer forces turnovers like it once did, and the shorter shot clock has everyone used to playing faster.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hamsam

Quote from: hogsanity on January 16, 2017, 09:30:07 am
You do know that in the past when asked about poor rebounding and too many fouls, Mike blew off both saying we make up for it in turnovers and forcing the pace. His style of defense is not conducive to solid rebounding nor does it limit fouls. The main thing is though that it no longer forces turnovers like it once did, and the shorter shot clock has everyone used to playing faster.

Some great points right here.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 15, 2017, 10:04:00 pm

That why when they playback any coach it's always about effort and basic fundamentals like Boxing Out and getting back on defense.

Exactly. Any basketball game (NBA and NCAA) I have ever watched when they have those "mic'd up" things I always find myself saying "Well no darn, duh" or something like that. The coaches are always saying something like "you gotta rebound! pass the ball!"... Like why are you even saying that to NBA players? WTH.

I see nothing wrong with the quotes you listed or any of the other mic'd up sessions I've heard. Certainly not worse than what I've heard many other coaches say. And based on what I've heard from his snippets, my opinion would be that he is an above average coach because he at least has more character in what he says than the typical "play defense, pass the ball" white guy trying to preach fundamentals to a bunch of kids. And that is the thing about in-game coaching a lot of you don't understand. You don't necessarily have time to go over new and amazing things on the sideline. When your team is struggling and you call a TO, you have to reiterate the fundamentals to get them to focus, calm down, and play basketball. It's all about regulating, and that is exactly what CMA is doing. A player comes off the court after a bad TO and a foul - what you say to him is don't do etc again, do this instead or your man is doing this to you/what you're doing to him is not working and why, etc. They don't need an in depth explanation and anyway there isn't time (that is what tapes and practices are for), and because he probably already knows it and you just have to reiterate to him what you've practiced as the in-game pressure gets to your players and they make stupid mistakes. Once again it is about regulating your players (their emotions, their focus) not about revealing magically new strategies in-game in a one minute timeout.

Biggus Piggus

They cannot play anywhere close to the pace that Nolan's teams did. Only in limited stretches.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 16, 2017, 12:02:10 pm
They cannot play anywhere close to the pace that Nolan's teams did. Only in limited stretches.
Not suggesting that you are implying otherwise, but I believe that you are both saying the same thing.  This further confounds me as to why Mike doesn't give CJ more minutes.  If nothing else, CJ's raw athleticism and length allow him to defend so much more of the floor.

Beyond the physical demands of playing defense, I think several of our guys coast at times to protect their offensive games.  It would be fun to see us force opponents into shooting "bad" shots, but we're not tall or athletic enough to get it done.

Anybody else cringe every time Moses gets caught defending above the three point line?  Whatever is happening elsewhere on the court isn't good for Arkansas.

Bottom line, we don't appear to have the right type of players to do this effectively.  And Mike will not - or can not - adapt.

hobhog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 16, 2017, 07:05:21 am
Im not sure why everyone is expecting to hear some great play drawn up while a coach is mic'd up. Go back and watch the Kentucky game when Coach Cal was mic'd up. He didnt say anything about x's and o's. Ive seen Izzo and Pitino mic'd up as well and not once did they say anything about strategy.

I sat behind UALR bench last year and heard Chris Beards every word. He was loud, concise, and had a play called after every time out. Had code words for different defensive formations. Every players eyes were glued  to him. Lots of cussing and red faced yelling I will admit, but it was impressive. He was hoarse at the end of the game and sweat drenched.

It was impressive.i know all coaches are not like that, but that guy is INTO the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on January 16, 2017, 12:30:36 pm
and had a play called after every time out.

plays, we don't need no stinking plays.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hog.goblin

Quote from: ottopit on January 15, 2017, 09:55:35 pm
but can you imagine what Nolan would sound like if they mic'd him up?

lots of BLEEPS very well articulated

rzrbackramsfan

Arkansas's style of play puts them at a disadvantage for rebounding a lot of times, yes.  CMA talks about rebounding all the time though, and we still need our guys to show more heart and just get the rebound.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 16, 2017, 01:00:34 pm
Arkansas's style of play puts them at a disadvantage for rebounding a lot of times, yes.  CMA talks about rebounding all the time though, and we still need our guys to show more heart and just get the rebound.

Often on the defensive end there is no one there to get the rebound. We trap in the corner, so two guys are there, the pass goes back to the wing, okay someone closes out. Thats 3 guys away from the basket and the other tow are probably split between the ball side post and a guard out top, so there is NO ONE to get a weak side rebound. They can WANT it all day, but if no one is physically there to get it, it isn't happening.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 16, 2017, 01:05:27 pm
Often on the defensive end there is no one there to get the rebound. We trap in the corner, so two guys are there, the pass goes back to the wing, okay someone closes out. Thats 3 guys away from the basket and the other tow are probably split between the ball side post and a guard out top, so there is NO ONE to get a weak side rebound. They can WANT it all day, but if no one is physically there to get it, it isn't happening.

Oh yea, completely agree that's one situation and there are many similar situations that leads to our guys being out of position and with our team especially, but how many times are there when their guys get like 4 offensive rebounds on us? The guards need to run in better and get rebounds.  We mainly need our 4 to get more rebounds though.

ArkansasI

Anyone wonder how good this team would be if we didn't double the ball so frequently?  I think our worst defenders try... they just don't get there.  But why not try defending the floor instead of the ball?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 16, 2017, 12:02:10 pm

We also don't have a true 3.  Imagine this team with a player like Qualls or Weems. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 16, 2017, 01:57:32 pm
We also don't have a true 3.  Imagine this team with a player like Qualls or Weems. 

Don't have a true 3, or a true pg or a true 4 - I am starting to the problem

hamsam

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 16, 2017, 01:57:32 pm

Hey, we will have them!!! In 2-3 years...

hog.goblin

Quote from: hogsanity on January 16, 2017, 02:24:49 pm
Don't have a true 3, or a true pg or a true 4 - I am starting to the problem

We don't have a true 5 either.  Sure, Moses is a 5 on the defensive side, but not offensively.

hamsam

No pg, no 3, no 4 and now no 5? Team full of 2's? I'm no basketball guru but that looks like a recipe for poor defense with little rebounding...

HoggieStyle

Anderson is not Nolan.

Anderson is not even Nolan "lite".

I have heard other instances of Anderson being miked up in the huddle during a timeout and I was pretty amazed that, similar to "they punkin' you", there was very little in terms of actual basketball observation and problem solving at the level that a coach should offer. I'm all about challenging players to step it up, but I'm not impressed by Mr. Anderson as a basketball coach.