Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the 4 spot

Started by tconey1, January 14, 2017, 08:05:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hou-Hog

Phone issue.  I was going to say that Cook is our best 4 by far, but he is needed to balance out the second team.  DT has skills but seems to make silly fouls that prevent him from making an impact.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 15, 2017, 01:09:49 pm

I would remind you that no one forced Jimmy out...He was getting plenty of pt as a freshman but because he was inferior to Durham last year and not even as good as Beard he got butt hurt and decided to crawl off somewhere else instead of trying to earn the PG spot. That was on him not Mike.
That happens when you play for Podunk HS for 4 years and everyone tells you how great you are, constantly blowing smoke up your skirt! Then you get to big boy ball, and everyone but you figures out you were overrated!

Letsroll1200

I would strongly consider starting Moses and Thompson together. It's a a gamble because if both get in foul trouble it's going to be rough. Nobody has taken ownership of that position. I think we are going to get a lot of Kingsley and Thompson against A&M. A&M is just better in the front court and Arkansas will need to keep them off the boards. A&M is better than their 1-4 record.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2017, 01:17:39 pm
That happens when you play for Podunk HS for 4 years and everyone tells you how great you are, constantly blowing smoke up your skirt! Then you get to big boy ball, and everyone but you figures out you were overrated!

Also doesn't help when you might have the ugliest outside shot to grace Bud Walton Arena.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hawginbigd1

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 15, 2017, 01:22:17 pm
Also doesn't help when you might have the ugliest outside shot to grace Bud Walton Arena.
Might is being far too kind!

GuvHog

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 15, 2017, 09:58:11 am
Don't think MA can use a true center with Kaos offense he runs........

His mentor did. Go back and look at videos of the 1993-1994 Hog National Championship team and watch a 6'11" 245 LB muscled up monster named Darnell Robinson come off of the bench to help Corliss. When opponents forced them to play half court basketball, Nolan would put Darnell in with Corliss and they were an unstoppable pair.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on January 15, 2017, 01:31:56 pm
His mentor did. Go back and look at videos of the 1993-1994 Hog National Championship team and watch a 6'11" 245 LB muscled up monster named Darnell Robinson come off of the bench to help Corliss. When opponents forced them to play half court basketball, Nolan would put Darnell in with Corliss and they were an unstoppable pair.

Would the Obannons and UCLA agree with that lol just kidding
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

GuvHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 15, 2017, 03:35:28 pm
Would the Obannons and UCLA agree with that lol just kidding

That was the 95' national Championship game and Against advice from Nolan, Darnell gained weight during the off season and was less effective that year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

parallaxpig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 15, 2017, 01:31:56 pm

Yeah but his mentor isn't coaching now. Plus I remember Darnell Robinson's nick name was "tippy toes" cuz he was not comfortable with back to goal. Also, speaking of his mentor I bet he might play a different style of defense away from basket. Back in the day a defensive player could put their hands on the guy he was guarding. In today's game its a foul fest.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hogwood

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 15, 2017, 09:58:11 am
Don't think MA can use a true center with Kaos offense he runs........

Are you serious? Did you never watch Nolan?

hogwood

Quote from: Hou-Hog on January 15, 2017, 01:08:36 pm
Cook

Cook is not a 4. Closest thing we have is Thomas, but he's still not. Sometimes when I see Cook on the floor I think it is Ky Madden.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogwood on January 16, 2017, 11:01:10 am
Cook is not a 4. Closest thing we have is Thomas, but he's still not. Sometimes when I see Cook on the floor I think it is Ky Madden.
I agree. Cook is more like a 3. I think Kingsley and Thompson should start together and play together a lot more. That would help with the paint defense and the rebounding.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pancetta

Quote from: ballinhog on January 15, 2017, 07:40:44 am
One thing I miss about Nolan is how he knew how to push buttons with guys. Our 4 spot is a perfect position to give an example of what I mean by that.

Our 4 spot has for the most part been pretty subpar all year long and in Nolans "glory days" he would dig to the last guy on the bench if he had to and there were times that moves like this would be a major spark to sometimes turn around a season. Like Blake Eddins. He was a guy at one time that barely played and suddenly finds himself starting. And he brought great energy to the team and crowd. I believe if Nolan was coaching this team he would give someone like Hazen a starting  spot some random game and who knows.

That's what Mike doesn't have, the ability to keep pushing buttons all the way thru the roster. I think he should give Hazen a shot. You never know at the very least he may come out and get 7-8 rebounds for you and get the team energized.
He needs to use Hazen to do something because the way it's going I would be shocked if he doesn't transfer at the end of this year. Guys don't go to college to average a minute a game. I bet that's not what Mike told him he planned to do with him. Having a stretxh four in the floor for 6-8 minutes a game would help open it up for the slashers to get to the rim.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Pancetta on January 16, 2017, 01:34:50 pm
He needs to use Hazen to do something because the way it's going I would be shocked if he doesn't transfer at the end of this year. Guys don't go to college to average a minute a game. I bet that's not what Mike told him he planned to do with him. Having a stretxh four in the floor for 6-8 minutes a game would help open it up for the slashers to get to the rim.

At this point maybe Give him Arlandos minutes.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

pigsooie1000

incredible anyone is calling for Hazen to play. he is the single most overmatched player I've ever seen play at Arkansas barring maybe that #15 walkon. Cox, Munsey, Blackmon all could handle the game better than Hazen. he gets bullied every single time he's come on the court despite it being garbage time and shows zero ability to do anything at all but shoot uncontested shots

HardingHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2017, 01:17:39 pm

I will just say that A) Jimmy Whitt played for one of the bigger high schools in Missouri (Columbia Hickman ~2000 kids), and B) He did almost singlehandedly win the biggest classification state title his junior year against one of the best HS teams I've seen in MO the last 5 or so years (he had 29, 7reb, 7 stl). Something mental happened for him and he looked like a completely different player his first game in college than he did the last time I saw him his senior year in HS
Sorry for the tangent

Yes, the 4 has been a head scratcher this and last year much of the time. I think the best option for us now is someone like Darius Hall who is more of a true 3/Small forward. We need someone with perimeter skills/handling and we need that person to have some pride in rebounding the ball which I believe Hall or even Bailey could be that guy. Like mentioned before there seems to be an inability to get a "power forward body" in recruiting. We've gotten some good guards and centers (in our offense) like Moses and Portis, but we just can't get that Kapita/Enoh/Cook on our team that I believe would make us a complete team and a team that could truly play inside-out and REBOUND

Hollywood870

Bailey should have been groomed to play the four by this point. Looks like he has gained weight and is the best athlete on the team along with Jones, who also rarely plays.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 17, 2017, 02:03:43 am
Bailey should have been groomed to play the four by this point. Looks like he has gained weight and is the best athlete on the team along with Jones, who also rarely plays.

He is a better overall athlete than Cook and Thomas. His jump shot isn't any worse than those two. He also appears to have a better nose for rebounding. I would think he would be able to knock one of Cook or Thomas out of the lineup soon.

Jonteviosk

Tonight Thomas/Cook split almost down the middle minutes wise. 10 pts 9 reb 4 asst 5-8 fg I would be content with that production every night.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2017, 08:26:08 pm
He brings five fouls, and if you aren't careful he will use them up real fast. Don't understand the surprise though, it wasn't like he was doing a lot when we got him from Co.

I agree about Thomas.  We keep reaching for other teams rejects hoping Mike's style of play will save their career.  So far the answer is a resounding NO.  We need a new direction in recruiting when it comes to signing 4s.  I am hoping Scotty will help get this straightened out.  We will see how this recruiting class finishes.

Jackrabbit Hog

Ah yes, the coveted 4 spot.  Otherwise known as the Keaton Miles Memorial Black Hole.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 07:10:42 am
Ah yes, the coveted 4 spot.  Otherwise known as the Keaton Miles Memorial Black Hole.

Just haven't found that consistent 4-man since Marshawn Powell and Coty Clarke.

JayBell

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 18, 2017, 07:13:40 amJust haven't found that consistent 4-man since Marshawn Powell and Coty Clarke.

Neither was a true post player either.  I'm not sure why some people think it's about not having someone to put there.  Coty Clarke is the prototypical 4 in Anderson's system.

JayBell

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 18, 2017, 12:04:05 amTonight Thomas/Cook split almost down the middle minutes wise. 10 pts 9 reb 4 asst 5-8 fg I would be content with that production every night.

That'd be productive for one player in 25 minutes.  That's not productive for two players over 40 minutes, even though it was an above average night for them.

Jonteviosk

You guys aren't ever getting 20/10 out of the 4 spot might as well move on from that. If we get efficiency like last night I would be happy.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JayBell on January 18, 2017, 08:52:15 am
Neither was a true post player either.  I'm not sure why some people think it's about not having someone to put there.  Coty Clarke is the prototypical 4 in Anderson's system.

Maybe so, but in anybody else's system he'd be a 3.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jonteviosk

doesn't really have the skillset for a 3 though.

JayBell

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 12:30:07 pmMaybe so, but in anybody else's system he'd be a 3.

Exactly.  Unfortunately, IMO, that's what he wants.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 07:10:42 am

Now that's funny.......and true

Rawker

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 15, 2017, 01:09:49 pm

I would remind you that no one forced Jimmy out...He was getting plenty of pt as a freshman but because he was inferior to Durham last year and not even as good as Beard he got butt hurt and decided to crawl off somewhere else instead of trying to earn the PG spot. That was on him not Mike.

I have to agree with this full-on.  I've been watching almost every one of MAs games since UAB, and Whitt should have been amazed how much PT he was getting as a FR.

But on the topic....don't know what redeemable direction this tread (or any thread) was going, BUT COOK SAVED THE WHOLE TEAM LAST NIGHT.  When was in, he was teaching MK how to bring something to the table, and MK took to the lesson in the end.
So if you're looking for a 4 who can give us something strong....you saw him last night.  He's not the dominant 4 we need to be a top tier team, but if he plays like that more often, and MA leaves him in like he did last night, he'll help us get to the tourney.

NWAHog479

Looks like it is PF by committee at the moment. Every single night it's a guess on which guy will get the most minutes. The A&M game was a coming out party for Cook and I'm glad that Mike kept him out on the court during our run. I thought Thomas for sure would be the guy, but his jumper is definitely the worst out of all of our options at the 4 spot. Trey is playing very nice recently, dropping dimes from the high post, playing solid D and rebounding. Unfortunately, Trey is our backup 5, so if Moses gets in trouble we need him to be at the 5. I'd like to see Bailey get some of the minutes that Thomas is getting and see if some competition can bring out the best in this crew. Against LSU though, definitely would like to see Cook get the nod, IMO he has the most upside. Going to need all of them next year!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: JayBell on January 18, 2017, 08:54:00 am
That'd be productive for one player in 25 minutes.  That's not productive for two players over 40 minutes, even though it was an above average night for them.

against A&M's front  court, those numbers ain't bad.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Rawker on January 18, 2017, 06:00:46 pm
I have to agree with this full-on.  I've been watching almost every one of MAs games since UAB, and Whitt should have been amazed how much PT he was getting as a FR.

But on the topic....don't know what redeemable direction this tread (or any thread) was going, BUT COOK SAVED THE WHOLE TEAM LAST NIGHT.  When was in, he was teaching MK how to bring something to the table, and MK took to the lesson in the end.
So if you're looking for a 4 who can give us something strong....you saw him last night.  He's not the dominant 4 we need to be a top tier team, but if he plays like that more often, and MA leaves him in like he did last night, he'll help us get to the tourney.

hogfanny

He said quit bashing the players dammit man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!