Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eddie Sutton

Started by deserthog, January 12, 2017, 03:02:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 17, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
I can see that you don't know what irony means.
Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 17, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
I can see that you don't know what irony means.

Or, possibly you don't.
The irony is that someone who has falsely smeared a university and individuals, is being falsely smeared.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 08:21:26 pm
Or, possibly you don't.
The irony is that someone who has falsely smeared a university and individuals, is being falsely smeared.

But it wasn't false though and even the federal judge who heard the case said that. Basically, the case was won by the school on a procedural issue and not because the facts were not there to support Nolans claims.

When Nolan signed his new contract, it prevented him from using the things that had happened up to that point of him signing the contract and therefore, he was unable to use those allegations in support of his case.

hogfan10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 17, 2017, 09:24:02 pm
But it wasn't false though and even the federal judge who heard the case said that. Basically, the case was won by the school on a procedural issue and not because the facts were not there to support Nolans claims.

When Nolan signed his new contract, it prevented him from using the things that had happened up to that point of him signing the contract and therefore, he was unable to use those allegations in support of his case.

By NR signing a new contract he was accepting a work place environment that he would later claim to be unacceptable all along, why would he do that. He was in his 60's, he was a millionaire, he was a HOF coach; he had options that most people don't have. He could retire or he could take another job, he had nothing left to prove.
All Frank Broyles and the University of Arkansas did for NR was give him the opportunity to become a household name (which he became), become a millionaire (top 5 salary in mid 90's), gave him the opportunity to be associate AD (an opportunity that NR poo poo'd on), and to become the FIRST African American head coach of a major conference in the south. Hell, FB wasn't even his superior the last 5/6 years (if not more) of his employment.
NR was perfectly fine with the UofA and his superiors for many years (turned down the NBA more than once), until his teams could no longer maintain the successes of the early/mid 90's.
NR couldn't accept that in his final years his teams lack of success was on him, so he had to find a scapegoat.
NR was a great coach (and I honestly think that he is a nice man), and I loved almost every minute of his time as the HOGS coach. But, although he took us to heights we'd never seen before (and may not ever see again, with the exception of track), he also pretty much single handily burned it all down. He basically destroyed everything he'd spent 17 (?) years building, to try and cover for the fact that he was just coasting the last 4/5 years.

deserthog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 09:52:06 pm
By NR signing a new contract he was accepting a work place environment that he would later claim to be unacceptable all along, why would he do that. He was in his 60's, he was a millionaire, he was a HOF coach; he had options that most people don't have. He could retire or he could take another job, he had nothing left to prove.
All Frank Broyles and the University of Arkansas did for NR was give him the opportunity to become a household name (which he became), become a millionaire (top 5 salary in mid 90's), gave him the opportunity to be associate AD (an opportunity that NR poo poo'd on), and to become the FIRST African American head coach of a major conference in the south. Hell, FB wasn't even his superior the last 5/6 years (if not more) of his employment.
NR was perfectly fine with the UofA and his superiors for many years (turned down the NBA more than once), until his teams could no longer maintain the successes of the early/mid 90's.
NR couldn't accept that in his final years his teams lack of success was on him, so he had to find a scapegoat.
NR was a great coach (and I honestly think that he is a nice man), and I loved almost every minute of his time as the HOGS coach. But, although he took us to heights we'd never seen before (and may not ever see again, with the exception of track), he also pretty much single handily burned it all down. He basically destroyed everything he'd spent 17 (?) years building, to try and cover for the fact that he was just coasting the last 4/5 years.
Well said. I feel the same and couldn't have said it better. Bravo!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 09:52:06 pm

He has explained and explained his love for the Hog nation. He loved the fanbase, period. He still lives in Fayetteville as proof of that.

As a fan, you should have the utmost respect for that from him. He did it in part for folks like you. It's time you quit dogging him and just say thanks.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 17, 2017, 10:09:37 pm
He has explained and explained his love for the Hog nation. He loved the fanbase, period. He still lives in Fayetteville as proof of that.

As a fan, you should have the utmost respect for that from him. He did it in part for folks like you. It's time you quit dogging him and just say thanks.

++++

hogfan10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 17, 2017, 10:09:37 pm

He did what for the fans, burn the program down?
I don't believe I dogged him, I gave him plenty of respect for his accomplishments at the UofA.
The thing is; many aging, legendary coaches coast in their final years; living off of prior successes.
Some retire, some move on to another school, some get fired. Few have that "special" card in their deck, that they can play like NR did.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 10:22:54 pm
I don't believe I dogged him, I gave him plenty of respect for his accomplishments at the UofA.
The thing is; many aging, legendary coaches coast in their final years; living off of prior successes.
Some retire, some move on to another school, some get fired. Few have that "special" card in their deck, that they can play like NR did.

So the administration and Broyles are blameless in everything that transpired with Nolan?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 10:22:54 pm

Two of those years the NCAA screwed us.. it has a lasting effect.. He had signed Idguodla and McBride was on his radar.. he was rebuilding for another run..he would have signed Conley,  maybe Oden.. he already had Sullinger and his little brother might have followed.

hogfan10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 17, 2017, 10:25:36 pm
So the administration and Broyles are blameless in everything that transpired with Nolan?

Did I say that. I'm sure NR was frustrated with the admins being frustrated with the programs decline. Just as many coaches here before him became frustrated with the admins.
Two things though:
1. At NR request he no longer answered to Broyles, and didn't for several years.
2. If FB is a racist (per NR complaint), how do you reconcile the fact that FB hired NR to begin with.           
    That just isn't something that I see a racist doing.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 10:34:13 pm
Did I say that. I'm sure NR was frustrated with the admins being frustrated with the programs decline. Just as many coaches here before him became frustrated with the admins.
Two things though:
1. At NR request he no longer answered to Broyles, and didn't for several years.
2. If FB is a racist (per NR complaint), how do you reconcile the fact that FB hired NR to begin with.           

Didn't he try to hire a couple before Nolan, just got turned down.. after Holtz  and Kenny nobody wanted to work for Frank..

hogfan10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 10:33:53 pm
Two of those years the NCAA screwed us.. it has a lasting effect.. He had signed Idguodla and McBride was on his radar.. he was rebuilding for another run..he would have signed Conley,  maybe Oden.. he already had Sullinger and his little brother might have followed.

I agree the NCAA did us wrong, and maybe we get those guys maybe we don't. Doesn't change what he did to destroy the program after he was let go.
Also, you notice a trend with all those recruits you mentioned? Not familiar with McBride (I've slept since then), but the rest were all connected. Didn't really have to put forth much effort to get a foot in the door.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 10:34:13 pm
Two things though:

You need to read the account of the first black football player at Arkansas and then try to make your assertion. Not to mention Broyles was a member at Augusta while they didn't allow blacks to join. Lot of racism in Broyles background, heck it is a matter of public record that Broyles referred to Nolan as that N......

Nolan was not the first choice here. I believe he was the third behind Massimino and a no name. The thinking at the time was that a black coach would recruit better like Thompson at Georgetown also.

hogfan10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 10:38:04 pm
Didn't he try to hire a couple before Nolan, just got turned down.. after Holtz  and Kenny nobody wanted to work for Frank..

Rollie Massimino (sp?) had just won the NCAA, and turned us down. Not sure how offering another or maybe two others b/4 offering NR makes him a racist. I'm sure there were some white coaches out there willing to come if they had been offered.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 10:40:47 pm
I agree the NCAA did us wrong, and maybe we get those guys maybe we don't. Doesn't change what he did to destroy the program after he was let go.
Also, you notice a trend with all those recruits you mentioned? Not familiar with McBride (I've slept since then), but the rest were all connected. Didn't really have to put forth much effort to get a foot in the door.

lost those connections when we lost Nolan.. All those guys played in the NBA and had great college careers .... Nolan may have poured gas on the flames, but Frank lite the match..

not sure Andre was a connection or McBride...

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 10:43:55 pm
Rollie Massimino (sp?) had just won the NCAA, and turned us down. Not sure how offering another or maybe two others b/4 offering NR makes him a racist. I'm sure there were some white coaches out there willing to come if they had been offered.

That isn't proof of racism anymore than hiring NR was proof of not being a racist. That was the point.

hogfan10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 17, 2017, 10:42:13 pm
You need to read the account of the first black football player at Arkansas and then try to make your assertion. Not to mention Broyles was a member at Augusta while they didn't allow blacks to join. Lot of racism in Broyles background, heck it is a matter of public record that Broyles referred to Nolan as that N......

Nolan was not the first choice here. I believe he was the third behind Massimino and a no name. The thinking at the time was that a black coach would recruit better like Thompson at Georgetown also.

Not sure what Augusta and their policies has to do with FB. He probably has eaten at an all white lunch counter, used an all white bathroom, drank out of an all white water fountain. What's your point; should he have gone hungry, held it, and not quenched his thirst. A lot of good people have been members of country clubs, civic organizations, social groups, etc, etc that didn't allow minorities, women, and etc. It was a sign of the times, if a person is old enuff they've participated willingly or begrudgingly.
And, if you are claiming that FB had a part in those policies or even agreed with them, explain how he came to hire the first African American Head Coach to run HIS basketball program at the UofA.
Along with NR being the first AA coach at the UofA, FB also recruited the first AA fb player to Missouri b/4 he ever became the coach at the UofA.
Last thing, you think NR ever called FB a racially sensitive name or referred to FB in a racially sensitive manner?

hogfan10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 10:44:43 pm
lost those connections when we lost Nolan.. All those guys played in the NBA and had great college careers .... Nolan may have poured gas on the flames, but Frank lite the match..

not sure Andre was a connection or McBride...

Could be wrong, but I think AI's granddad was a friend/acquaintance of NR's. Pretty sure there was a connection. JJ didn't play pro did he?, and AI's college career was somewhat pedestrian, although at Arizona he didn't have to be the man with the talent they had.

hogfan10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 17, 2017, 10:46:26 pm
That isn't proof of racism anymore than hiring NR was proof of not being a racist. That was the point.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.
I would say that hiring NR to be the Head Basketball Coach for the program that FB was in charge of was a pretty good sign that FB was not a racist. I'm not sure that you and I apply the same definition to the word racist.
Is it possible that FB held some prejudices against African Americans, sure. Is it possible that NR held some prejudices against whites, sure.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 11:04:48 pm
Could be wrong, but I think AI's granddad was a friend/acquaintance of NR's. Pretty sure there was a connection. JJ didn't play pro did he?, and AI's college career was somewhat pedestrian, although at Arizona he didn't have to be the man with the talent they had.

we need some pedestrians ..

As a sophomore in 2003–04, Iguodala was named team MVP after leading his team in rebounds, assists and steals. He also made the All-Pac-10 First Team and was named Honorable Mention All-America and was drafted 9th that year..

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 11:10:54 pm

Is it possible that FB held some prejudices against African Americans, sure. Is it possible that NR held some prejudices against whites, sure.

Easy to be cavalier when it's not you..

hogfan10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 11:11:32 pm

As a sophomore in 2003–04, Iguodala was named team MVP after leading his team in rebounds, assists and steals. He also made the All-Pac-10 First Team and was named Honorable Mention All-America and was drafted 9th that year..

Maybe pedestrian is the wrong word. Those #'s are good, but if he had come here, we would have needed him to score. Didn't he average around 10+/-/pts/game, again not bad; but we needed more. Again, the lack of pts could of had more to do with the needs of the team he was on, than a lack of ability.

hogfan10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 11:13:06 pm

Who's being cavalier? Do you disagree with it? Sounds as if you think one should be excused, while condemning the other. Now, who's really being cavalier?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 10:33:53 pm

Speculation.  Maybe he could have gotten Conley, Oden and the younger Sullinger.  Oden and Conley Jr weren't Fr until 2006-7 - Nolan was fired after the '02 season.  Long time to bridge between '02 and '06-07 given where the program was.  Jared Sullinger didn't make it to Oh St till 2010.  You act as if these types of players were coming quickly after the 02 season and would have formed teams together. 

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 11:11:32 pm

12ppg - Would have been a good player for one season his Soph season.  Not enough to carry the team Nolan had built to anything of significance. 

Praise Nolan for what he did and what a great coach he was.  But don't spin the end.  The program had significantly declined - not all his fault if it makes you feel better.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 18, 2017, 08:39:06 am
Speculation.  Maybe he could have gotten Conley, Oden and the younger Sullinger.  Oden and Conley Jr weren't Fr until 2006-7 - Nolan was fired after the '02 season.  Long time to bridge between '02 and '06-07 given where the program was.  Jared Sullinger didn't make it to Oh St till 2010.  You act as if these types of players were coming quickly after the 02 season and would have formed teams together. 

12ppg - Would have been a good player for one season his Soph season.  Not enough to carry the team Nolan had built to anything of significance. 

Praise Nolan for what he did and what a great coach he was.  But don't spin the end.  The program had significantly declined - not all his fault if it makes you feel better.

2 things.. I was showing  that there was still plenty of opportunity for Nolan to have have lasted many years... he had connections and knew had to recruit.. Did not say they were all coming that year.. but AI was 03-04 they were 06, that long time to bridge the gap you speak of was one year....as for as how Andre would have performed at Arkansas, you have no clue.. 12pg could have been 24.. You don't know and I don't know.. but he was a pretty good NBA player that would have helped any team he went to..

and clarify for me, where did I spin the end?  I said Nolan may have thrown gas on the fire but Frank lite the match...

but using your words.. believe what you want "if it makes you feel better".

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 11:26:47 pm
Who's being cavalier? Do you disagree with it? Sounds as if you think one should be excused, while condemning the other. Now, who's really being cavalier?

trying reading more and mouthing less.. I never excused anyone.. stated both had responsibility..

GuvHog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 02:58:55 pm
He apologized but I never accepted his apology.  To me he ranks a distant third on most important U of A basketball coaches list behind Nolan and Mike. 

Then you are seriously wrong because Mike is no where near on the same level coaching wise as Nolan and Eddie.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 10:38:04 pm

NM

roothawg

Franky did his best to not have anyone be as popular as him. Couldnt threaten the white throne he sat on. Lmfao. Glad there is no more Franky to worry about.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2017, 12:01:36 pm
NM

Definitely was not the first  choice, that was Massimino.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2017, 11:53:35 am
Then you are seriously wrong because Mike is no where near on the same level coaching wise as Nolan and Eddie.

Actually MA has won tournament games with 3 different programs which was THE feather in Sutton's cap for many years.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 02:58:55 pm
He apologized but I never accepted his apology.  To me he ranks a distant third on most important U of A basketball coaches list behind Nolan and Mike.

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2017, 11:53:35 am

Guv, surely you know that Pillowhead is pretending to be serious? Check out his handle, this is not a serious person. He/she is laughing at all of the people taking his bait. If this were him fishing for bream, he'd have a cooler full in less than thirty minutes using just a bare hook.

hogfan10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 18, 2017, 10:46:59 am
trying reading more and mouthing less..
Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 11:13:06 pm

Really, I'm the one that is mouthing? Maybe you should take your own advice.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 18, 2017, 01:20:47 pm
Actually MA has won tournament games with 3 different programs which was THE feather in Sutton's cap for many years.

I think the feather was that he reached the Final Four with three different programs.  That's just a tad different than winning a tournament game with 3 different teams.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 05:15:33 pm
I think the feather was that he reached the Final Four with three different programs.  That's just a tad different than winning a tournament game with 3 different teams.
Did he?

He took four teams to the NCAAT.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2017, 05:48:23 pm
Did he?

He took four teams to the NCAAT.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will), but I think he took Arkansas, Kentucky (1 time) and OK State (twice?).  The only thing really missing on his resume is a Natty, and I think if you gave him truth serum he'd probably admit the '77-'78 Arkansas team was his best shot at that.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 05:51:36 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will), but I think he took Arkansas, Kentucky (1 time) and OK State (twice?).  The only thing really missing on his resume is a Natty, and I think if you gave him truth serum he'd probably admit the '77-'78 Arkansas team was his best shot at that.
I already did, dummy!   ;D

from wiki.

He has the rare distinction of having taken two schools (Arkansas and Oklahoma State) to the Final Four, and was the first coach to lead four schools to the NCAA tournament.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2017, 05:53:56 pm
I already did, dummy!   ;D

from wiki.

He has the rare distinction of having taken two schools (Arkansas and Oklahoma State) to the Final Four, and was the first coach to lead four schools to the NCAA tournament.

I humbly bow to your greatness. 

PonderinHog

deserthog

Eddie's 78 team would have won the championship if it wasn't for the blatant foul calls on the triplets in the Kentucky game. They hadn't been in foul troublr all year but Kentucky was the better draw for the finals. It was utter agony watching that take place. No wonder he wanted to go to Kentucky!

sowmonella

Quote from: deserthog on January 18, 2017, 07:42:32 pm
Eddie's 78 team would have won the championship if it wasn't for the blatant foul calls on the triplets in the Kentucky game. They hadn't been in foul troublr all year but Kentucky was the better draw for the finals. It was utter agony watching that take place. No wonder he wanted to go to Kentucky!
And he's off.........
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 17, 2017, 11:00:19 pm
Not sure what Augusta and their policies has to do with FB. He probably has eaten at an all white lunch counter, used an all white bathroom, drank out of an all white water fountain. What's your point; should he have gone hungry, held it, and not quenched his thirst. A lot of good people have been members of country clubs, civic organizations, social groups, etc, etc that didn't allow minorities, women, and etc. It was a sign of the times, if a person is old enuff they've participated willingly or begrudgingly.
And, if you are claiming that FB had a part in those policies or even agreed with them, explain how he came to hire the first African American Head Coach to run HIS basketball program at the UofA.
Along with NR being the first AA coach at the UofA, FB also recruited the first AA fb player to Missouri b/4 he ever became the coach at the UofA.
Last thing, you think NR ever called FB a racially sensitive name or referred to FB in a racially sensitive manner?

He coordinated the systematic physical abuse of the first black football player in the history of the U of A and was on record in the Nolan trial as referring to Nolan as Nig.... The man was indeed an unapologetic racist. You ever hear him apologize for these proven transgressions?

hogfan10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 18, 2017, 08:09:36 pm
He coordinated the systematic physical abuse of the first black football player in the history of the U of A and was on record in the Nolan trial as referring to Nolan as Nig.... The man was indeed an unapologetic racist. You ever hear him apologize for these proven transgressions?

Again if he was unapologetically racist, he never would have hired NR.
I've never heard either man (NR or FB) apologize for what they have said about the other. Surely your not suggesting that NR never called FB an unflattering name or two.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 05:51:36 pm

I thought he said 79 with Sid.. He felt we had something for Magic, if not for "shuffle my feet" Heath walking one in at the buzzer...

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 18, 2017, 08:09:36 pm

You do realize that Nolan and Frank mended fences sometime back don't you??

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 19, 2017, 11:00:52 am
I thought he said 79 with Sid.. He felt we had something for Magic, if not for "shuffle my feet" Heath walking one in at the buzzer...

You're referencing Bob Heaton of Indiana State.  Yeah, we were two bad late calls from the Final Four that year, but the year before was the Triplets in all their glory.  We outplayed a Kentucky team that started 5 future NBAers for about 35 minutes, until Steve Schall fouled out on a ticky tack over-the-back call on a missed free throw.  Their size got us the last 5 minutes, and we would have kicked Duke's tail in the championship game.

Eddie may have said the '79 team was his best chance, but that may have been his heart and his love for Sidney talking. 

Kevin

I truly believe frank hired Nolan for his own legacy. Not necessarily to win basketball games.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfan10

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2017, 03:45:14 pm
I truly believe frank hired Nolan for his own legacy. Not necessarily to win basketball games.

If NR was not a winner, it wouldn't have reflected well on FB's legacy. So, I think the expectation of NR when hired was to win.

Sivad

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 19, 2017, 04:16:53 pm
I think the expectation of NR when hired was to win.
And he did. At the highest level. For a while. And then he didn't. Didn't try too hard either. Then he went full bore, whack job crazy. And tried to burn the whole house down around him.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Slater on January 13, 2017, 09:55:29 pm
You liked watching Sutton teams more than Nolan?
I did for sure.  I will always be biased towards Sutton since I was a student during his tenure like the OP.  Always thought he made great game day adjustments.  No doubt they were both great at what they did but I prefer Sutton just because I am not a fan of sloppy, chaotic basketball.  I don't like a lot of fouls and turnovers.  I enjoy the fast breaks as much as anyone else but am partial to games with good shooting, low foul counts, good motion offense, rebounding, good passing and very few turnovers on both sides.  Just my opinion.