Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Simple, Straightforward Question

Started by WilsonHog, January 12, 2017, 10:37:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you Believe Mike Anderson can Replicate the Success of Sutton and Nolan?

Yes
11 (6.5%)
No
157 (93.5%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Voting closed: January 17, 2017, 10:37:58 am

bvillepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 12, 2017, 02:24:50 pm
2 good players can change a whole basketball team. not so in football . We play in the SEC . big time football , not to great in basketball. and CBB is making big changes in assistants . getting name guys . not so with MA

Maybe two MCD all americans  but their not coming here unless they are from here and then depending on the handler they might not come.  They game changed when you let kids come to University's for one year to play basketball and not go to class with no penalties.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 03:47:43 pm
I'm not comparing anything but records.
So by those standards, in conference play Mike Anderson is only better than 1 coach (Kim Anderson). Personally I think he is better than Johnny Jones, but I'll agree with you on this. Glad we could find some common ground
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on January 12, 2017, 03:57:49 pm
NO. Nolan was a Hall of Fame coach who had charisma and is one of the all time greats.  His run from 89-96 is historical.

ESPN AAU and handlers have changed the game.  The same few teams are going to be elite every year until the NCAA changes some rules. Mike does not have the charisma to attract the types that will get this program to a top five.  However Mike can get us back to a top 15-25.  I don't think there is anyone out there outside Calipari, Self, Krzyzewski, and maybe one or two others who could get us to Nolans success.

That day is gone for Arkansas unless this group is as talented as the Corliss, Scotty, May Day Miller groups. We can be a solid top 20 team however under Mike.

When?

Mike has recruits being steered to him right now. 

Those same teams will still get the top players if you change the rules. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 03:21:13 pm
Your standards for the basketball program in 2016 with all of this one and done stuff is too high then. Now in the 90's and the early 2000's you may be on to something. Why aren't your standards for the football program at least 10 wins? Didn't Bobby P recently prove it could be done here?

Petrino proved it could be done for TWO years, Eddie and Nolan for what, 25?

It has to do with performance. If Mike leaves, I will expect the same from whoever his successor is, just as I did for Stan Heath and from John Pelphrey.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 02:34:00 pm
Oh, ok...did I strike a nerve... ??? ...Hypocrites like I said. What's ok for one man is not ok for another. Sounds like a double standard to me.

Personally I'm not happy with either one of them to this point but I don't want neither one of them fired either because I can finally see the plan coming together for the both of them. I don't have a one sided agenda like some of you.

If you are happy with the basketball program the last 6 years then expectations dont matter so you are right in everything you post... I think most plans would love to have a team to root for in March... How many times has MA made it past the 1st round of the SEC tournament?
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on January 12, 2017, 04:08:49 pm
Maybe two MCD all americans  but their not coming here unless they are from here and then depending on the handler they might not come.  They game changed when you let kids come to University's for one year to play basketball and not go to class with no penalties.

It is a fraction of a fraction of recruits who are one and dones or even two and dones.

Bennett didn't need McD AA's to rebuild UVa.  After we beat them in the 95 Regional Final, their program went into mediocrity and worse some seasons (6 losing seasons and a couple of .500 seasons). 

But after he went 60-11 in seasons 5 and 6, he signed 3 McD AA's. 

You have to instill in the recruits, and the handlers if involved, the confidence they will be used properly and their games developed.  And if it is important to them, probably is with most, the opportunity to win at a high level while doing it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 11:41:11 am
says the guy who wanted Pelphrey signed to a long term extension because Ky was going to come steal him away.
Also don't forget, Joe claimed when Mike was hired, he'd have us in the Top 10 by year 3.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

311Hog

Quote from: bvillepig on January 12, 2017, 03:57:49 pm
NO. Nolan was a Hall of Fame coach who had charisma and is one of the all time greats.  His run from 89-96 is historical.

ESPN AAU and handlers have changed the game.  The same few teams are going to be elite every year until the NCAA changes some rules. Mike does not have the charisma to attract the types that will get this program to a top five.  However Mike can get us back to a top 15-25.  I don't think there is anyone out there outside Calipari, Self, Krzyzewski, and maybe one or two others who could get us to Nolans success.

That day is gone for Arkansas unless this group is as talented as the Corliss, Scotty, May Day Miller groups. We can be a solid top 20 team however under Mike.

I don't think it is charisma that Mike lacks I think he lacks the smarmy connections and questionable morals that are required to deal with the "handlers" of some of the elite.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 12, 2017, 04:09:36 pm
So by those standards, in conference play Mike Anderson is only better than 1 coach (Kim Anderson). Personally I think he is better than Johnny Jones, but I'll agree with you on this. Glad we could find some common ground
I was comparing his winning percentages to Bret Beilema's because so many seem to think that Mike Anderson should be gone but not Bret Beilema.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2017, 04:11:37 pm
When?

Mike has recruits being steered to him right now. 

Those same teams will still get the top players if you change the rules.
Not really. The best of the best will go straight to the NBA.

311Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 02:20:39 pm
They don't even know who the hell Coach Wojo or "whatever his name is" is.

I think he is talking about former Duke Guard and asst. coach?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 12, 2017, 04:15:47 pm
Petrino proved it could be done for TWO years, Eddie and Nolan for what, 25?

It has to do with performance. If Mike leaves, I will expect the same from whoever his successor is, just as I did for Stan Heath and from John Pelphrey.
This we can agree on.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 12, 2017, 04:31:29 pm
If you are happy with the basketball program the last 6 years then expectations dont matter so you are right in everything you post... I think most plans would love to have a team to root for in March... How many times has MA made it past the 1st round of the SEC tournament?
I'm not happy with the basketball program or the football program.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 311Hog on January 12, 2017, 06:08:20 pm
I think he is talking about former Duke Guard and asst. coach?
I know who he is. These new young recruits don't know who he is.

311Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 06:11:38 pm
I know who he is. These new young recruits don't know who he is.

I would bet they do, as much as they would know who Scotty Thurman is... The Duke name and Coach K tree I would suspect is pretty legit on the recruiting trail.  But I am hoping for someone that gets the most of the talent they have.  I mean there are some really highly rated kids on the Hog roster and in the recent past but none seemed to live up to the rating at least not consistently save Portis.

hogfan10

HotlantaHog

What I don't understand is... how is it that Mike had success at Mizzou and UAB but has struggled at Arkansas? Why should not his earlier success at Mizzou and UAB give us confidence that his struggle here, including some from leftover academic issues, will be an aberration?

Don't the facts that he took UAB to the Elite 8 and build a fantastic team at Mizzou suggest it's worth being patient at Arkansas?

GuvHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 13, 2017, 12:59:21 pm
What I don't understand is... how is it that Mike had success at Mizzou and UAB but has struggled at Arkansas? Why should not his earlier success at Mizzou and UAB give us confidence that his struggle here, including some from leftover academic issues, will be an aberration?

Don't the facts that he took UAB to the Elite 8 and build a fantastic team at Mizzou suggest it's worth being patient at Arkansas?

Mike has never shown that he can build a winning program. The success he had at both UAB and Missouri were with a number of the previous coach's players still on the team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cityhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 12, 2017, 10:37:58 am
Some are saying, "Just wait til we get these recruits in."

Okay. Suppose we do. Are we looking then at averaging 25 to 30 wins a season? Trips to the NCAA Tournament most every season? Sweet Sixteens? Final Fours? A program consistently ranked in the Top 20 in the country?

There's a long list of great recruiting college coaches who haven't won spit. Great recruits need great coaching to become a great team/program. When you don't have either? Well.....

hogsanity

, including some from leftover academic issues, 

Don't the facts that he took UAB to the Elite 8

lost 1 scholarship 1 year, that was it.

Stan heat went to an elite 8 too
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

orvillesghost

I am for making a change regardless if he makes the tournament but to be fair, if he did make the tournament, I can live with giving him another year.

I don't care if we lose the recruits for I see no evidence that he can get the job done even with better players.

hogsanity

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 13, 2017, 01:52:50 pm
I am for making a change regardless if he makes the tournament but to be fair, if he did make the tournament, I can live with giving him another year.

I don't care if we lose the recruits for I see no evidence that he can get the job done even with better players.

Heath went to the ncaat 2 years in a row, out of a tougher SEC, and got canned.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

orvillesghost

Well I doubt there is little danger of Arkansas making the tournament...

lutherheggs

Okay. Suppose we do. Are we looking then at averaging 25 to 30 wins a season? Trips to the NCAA Tournament most every season? Sweet Sixteens? Final Fours? A program consistently ranked in the Top 20 in the country?
Not only is he not capable of replicating what either Sutton or Nolan did at Arkansas, what would cause ANYONE to think he could? He has never done anything close to what those two head coaches did in his 15 seasons as a head coach. Why suddenly at age 58 would he begin to produce FF teams?

If we want to go to the NCAAT once or twice a decade and lose in first round, Anderson is your man. Of course if the administration accepts that, it'll also simultaneously be accepting average game attendance of around 5,000 to 7,500 max and accompanying loss of revenue.

lutherheggs

root_hawg

No but we will eventually if not what is 20 years of non-success

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2017, 01:54:30 pm

and this is the point i have been trying to make and no one seems to connect the dots, or at least some cannot seem to.

Coaches of the "he made the elite 8 or sweet 16" there are LOTS OF THEM, and honestly until proven otherwise they have not succeeded here at the UofA for a variety or reasons.

But the fact remains Health had no ties to the UofA before he came here, and he was treated like person who has no ties to the University.  Anderson DOES have ties to the UofA deep ones, and thus he gets more time and more leeway then Stan Heath, but that doesn't change "what level" coach he has proven himself to be in the grand scheme of things.

So again unless the UofA is reaching into that pocketbook and pulling out a name that has actually won a National Title in the past 10 years all other coaching options have the same relative outcome possibility as Mike Anderson does.  Just depends on your opinion of loyalty both to Mike and the AR kids that are committed to him and this program.

I understand if for some 6 years is enough i get it, i am just simply saying do you honestly believe we are going to go out and do what ever it takes to bring in someone clearly better or will giving a couple more years to Mike just be to much, i mean i would hope for the home run, but we didn't and haven't hit a home run hire in a long time maybe not since DVH and he hasn't even won a natty himself.

majp51

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 10:44:26 am
The 2017 recruiting class is strong, but the 2018 group is even better. Arkansas absolutely has to get these players into Fayetteville. If we made a change and the recruits dispersed, it would be suicidal. Any coaching change around here must be conducted with the greatest care.

Err Biggus,

Let's assume those 2017 and 2018 classes are as great as you hope (BTW Neither one is as good , on paper, as MSU's freshman class this year)

I have a question for you. Why would you think the next coach, whoever they are, couldn't keep them or possibly do even better? I mean CMA has been consistently weak in terms of recruiting, yet even he was able to keep the monster class, on paper, that John Pelphrey had recruited.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 311Hog on January 13, 2017, 02:58:21 pm
and this is the point i have been trying to make and no one seems to connect the dots, or at least some cannot seem to.

Coaches of the "he made the elite 8 or sweet 16" there are LOTS OF THEM, and honestly until proven otherwise they have not succeeded here at the UofA for a variety or reasons.

But the fact remains Health had no ties to the UofA before he came here, and he was treated like person who has no ties to the University.  Anderson DOES have ties to the UofA deep ones, and thus he gets more time and more leeway then Stan Heath, but that doesn't change "what level" coach he has proven himself to be in the grand scheme of things.

So again unless the UofA is reaching into that pocketbook and pulling out a name that has actually won a National Title in the past 10 years all other coaching options have the same relative outcome possibility as Mike Anderson does.  Just depends on your opinion of loyalty both to Mike and the AR kids that are committed to him and this program.

I understand if for some 6 years is enough i get it, i am just simply saying do you honestly believe we are going to go out and do what ever it takes to bring in someone clearly better or will giving a couple more years to Mike just be to much, i mean i would hope for the home run, but we didn't and haven't hit a home run hire in a long time maybe not since DVH and he hasn't even won a natty himself.

Your dots are still missing the fact Heath, Pelphrey and Anderson were all unique hiring situations and you may be undervaluing our ability to attract a coach if we are coming at it from a position of at least somewhat stability and organization - not a racial bias lawsuit, a disaster after a good, experienced coach bailed after a day exposing our problems and a forced hire with no search conducted. 

majp51

No, we are not looking at that. For one Simple Reason, while these are theoretically good recruiting years, they are worse than what the rest of the SEC is doing. Prior till last year, since CMA came here, the recruiting classes in the SEC were Kentucky and a random hodge dodge of other teams, where Arkansas finished somewhere between 7th and 9th.

Last year 4 other schools besides Arkansas got serious. Alabama, Auburn, MSU, and Texas A&M. BAMA, AU, and MSU all hired HC's who are good at recruiting, and A&M hired Rick Stansbury as an AC and recruiter.

Last Year Arkansas finished 5th, this great 2017 recruiting class? It's 6th. And 2018? Unknown, but looking at who is on the board for each team I could see Bama, Kentucky, MSU, Auburn all easily surpassing the Vaunted 2018 class.

Now if this was 5th best in the Nation, well then OK I could see the argument, alas it is 5th or 6ht best in a Conference that hasn't gotten five or 6 bids to the NCAA in many many years.

Basically as improved as these potential incoming classes are, CMA is building a consistent NIT team, that might eke it's way into the NCAA every once in a while.

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2017, 03:36:02 pm
Your dots are still missing the fact Heath, Pelphrey and Anderson were all unique hiring situations and you may be undervaluing our ability to attract a coach if we are coming at it from a position of at least somewhat stability and organization - not a racial bias lawsuit, a disaster after a good, experienced coach bailed after a day exposing our problems and a forced hire with no search conducted. 

You are aware of the reason why that particular coach bailed after one day aren't you?? It had nothing to do with the problems that existed at the U of A.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

Quote from: majp51 on January 13, 2017, 03:58:23 pm
No, we are not looking at that. For one Simple Reason, while these are theoretically good recruiting years, they are worse than what the rest of the SEC is doing. Prior till last year, since CMA came here, the recruiting classes in the SEC were Kentucky and a random hodge dodge of other teams, where Arkansas finished somewhere between 7th and 9th.

Last year 4 other schools besides Arkansas got serious. Alabama, Auburn, MSU, and Texas A&M. BAMA, AU, and MSU all hired HC's who are good at recruiting, and A&M hired Rick Stansbury as an AC and recruiter.

Last Year Arkansas finished 5th, this great 2017 recruiting class? It's 6th. And 2018? Unknown, but looking at who is on the board for each team I could see Bama, Kentucky, MSU, Auburn all easily surpassing the Vaunted 2018 class.

Now if this was 5th best in the Nation, well then OK I could see the argument, alas it is 5th or 6ht best in a Conference that hasn't gotten five or 6 bids to the NCAA in many many years.

Basically as improved as these potential incoming classes are, CMA is building a consistent NIT team, that might eke it's way into the NCAA every once in a while.

This sounds alot like Bielema's situation or our situation in Football, well except for SEC in football is good and SEC in Basketball not so much outside of Kentucky and Florida.  I guess the argument could be made for SEC football isn't to good outside of Bama /shrug.

311Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2017, 03:36:02 pm

No i am aware of that and i agree with your points in an effort to keep these posts short and readable we/i cant go into all the details, but yeah this hiring situation would also be unique and have it's issues etc. That is also kind of what i am getting at.

Anderson being a "homer" hire before means his exist even best case scenario will not be smooth if it happens during this year or after it, and depending on the coaching landscape etc. on what is out there we can replace him with.  I am simply not very confident that we will replace him with a better coach if we pull the trigger and start this process over again for a third time in the past 20 years.

ArkansasI

This really is not complicated.

There are no guarantees in coaching.

There is no amount of money that can be paid to any coach in America that will guarantee results.

We cannot be certain if the next coach will be better - or worse - than the present coach.  Only different...

I have been watching Razorback basketball since the early 1970s.  Fan apathy toward the Razorback basketball program is at its worst in my lifetime.  There is no passion - the fans are spent.  Spent with reason.  What other fans would have any enthusiasm left for a program that has done so little for so long?

It is now 2017, and the basketball program has not enjoyed any real success in 20 years.  Let that sink in for a minute.

Some of the apathy we are experiencing is attributable to matters far beyond Mike's control.  Those same matters that are beyond Mike's control - that drive apathy - have made Mike a very rich man.  Mike has earned at least $12 million dollars at Arkansas, and the fans have enjoyed one NCAA tournament appearance and one NCAA tournament victory in that time.

I suspect Mike is worth well over $15M right now.  WOW!!!  Good for Mike!  If Mike plays his cards right, his family is set for generations.  I could not be happier for him.

Think about how lucky Mike is to have had the opportunity to play for Nolan at Tulsa, coached with him and followed in his footsteps to enjoy a wonderful career.  Think of all the players that Nolan recruited and coached that did not have the same opportunity as Mike.  Did none of them have the same aptitude?

If Arkansas does not make it to the NCAA tournament this year, it is fair and reasonable to give another man a shot at doing better.  The only thing that makes me cringe is the idea that Mike would be entitled to any sort of contractual buyout.  But that's more of what drives fan apathy - the idea that we have to guarantee coaches a term of years so they can recruit good players.

It is time to take back control of the system.  College athletics are broken.  This poll is further evidence that some fans are mistakenly controlled by these coaches.

A man paid $2M a year should be a showstopper.  He should have talents that are truly rare.  I do not see that in Mike.  I am willing to venture that we could find a better talent for the money we're spending, or spend less for the same value we're receiving.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

elksnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 10:44:26 am
The 2017 recruiting class is strong, but the 2018 group is even better. Arkansas absolutely has to get these players into Fayetteville. If we made a change and the recruits dispersed, it would be suicidal. Any coaching change around here must be conducted with the greatest care.
You don't know this. These recruits might come to Arkansas if there is another coach and then might not.

I am sure you will type a 500 word essay attempting to prove I am wrong. But I will say it again. Firing Mike is not NECESSARILY going to make us lose whoever these recruits are. And frankly, who cares if they don't come if Mike gets fired. Keep Mike and then we will not see the maximization of their alleged talent. Mike is just not a very good coach. I am tired of not saying this.
Get another coach and the same recruits could very well still come and play.

What the hell does it matter. He could not land Allen nor Monk and maybe a few others. So you get these studs in there and they still play mediocre. Then what?

elksnort

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 11:01:49 am
Gafford, Garland, Henderson, and Perry will not be Hogs if Mike is let go. We keep thinking we can bring in somebody. Who? Name me one coach that is connected to these kids right now. Who do you bring in?
And who gives a darn. Don't allow some potential very good players to high jack what coach you have. Do any of you people know these kids? How in the hell do you know what they would do if there were a coaching change?

Get a coach that demands rebounding, blocking out, and can make the needed adjustments.

Dado

Honest question. Why did Mike Anderson leave coaching in a premier conference (Big 12) to coach in the SEC.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 13, 2017, 11:35:39 am
Which is the problem.
Coach Anderson has a winning record both overall and in the conference.
Coach Beilema has a losing record both overall and in the conference. Conference record is 10-22. Come on man!!! I don't care how good the competition is. That record is unacceptable.
Coach Anderson's record is not ok.
Coach Beilema's record is ok.

Makes sense to me too.

Youngsta71701

Some people only have patience with the coach that they like or the coach that fits what they want in a coach.
If it's not who they want they nit pick everything and look for any excuse to bitch.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2017, 01:08:57 pm
Mike has never shown that he can build a winning program. The success he had at both UAB and Missouri were with a number of the previous coach's players still on the team.
This is complete bull. UAB was horrible when he took over. Missouri was horrible when he took over and he turned both programs around. But keep going, we're starting to expose the ones that are full of it...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2017, 01:54:30 pm
He got canned because of his winning percentage in the SEC both overall and in his last season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Heath

Youngsta71701

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 13, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
Not only is he not capable of replicating what either Sutton or Nolan did at Arkansas, what would cause ANYONE to think he could? He has never done anything close to what those two head coaches did in his 15 seasons as a head coach. Why suddenly at age 58 would he begin to produce FF teams?

If we want to go to the NCAAT once or twice a decade and lose in first round, Anderson is your man. Of course if the administration accepts that, it'll also simultaneously be accepting average game attendance of around 5,000 to 7,500 max and accompanying loss of revenue.
He went to the Sweet 16 at UAB. He went to the Elite 8 at Missouri. What are you talking about? Some of you people need to do some research and know your history before you start typing.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: elksnort on January 13, 2017, 05:39:30 pm
You don't know this. These recruits might come to Arkansas if there is another coach and then might not.

I am sure you will type a 500 word essay attempting to prove I am wrong. But I will say it again. Firing Mike is not NECESSARILY going to make us lose whoever these recruits are. And frankly, who cares if they don't come if Mike gets fired. Keep Mike and then we will not see the maximization of their alleged talent. Mike is just not a very good coach. I am tired of not saying this.
Get another coach and the same recruits could very well still come and play.

What the hell does it matter. He could not land Allen nor Monk and maybe a few others. So you get these studs in there and they still play mediocre. Then what?
How do you fire mike guys know that a new coach is going to come in and set the world on fire? Is that a guarantee? They might come in an be even worse than Mike. Then what do you do? Wash, rinse, repeat?

Can't build a program if you keep changing coaches over and over again. A school like Arkansas needs stability in order to be as good as we can be. But I guess we haven't figured that our since Nolan left. We're not going to bring in all 5 star recruits every year like Kentucky. Sorry people but we're just not. However we can bring in a few 4 stars and a 5 star from time to time.

MikePiazza

I always wonder how Mike would've done if he'd been given the keys to the program in March 2002 like Nolan asked for, instead of having to wait nine years as the program deteriorated to the point of near apathy.

Yes, there were good years under Heath and Pelphrey ('06-08) but all in all, the program dropped from relevance and bottomed out under Pelphrey.

I think Mike would've had similar success here like he did at UAB & Mizzou. He would've gotten a lot of the same players that ended up going to both of those schools, and might have landed some kids that ended up going elsewhere that might have landed at Arkansas had Mike been here.

At this point it doesn't really matter, because Mike has gotten the opportunity and has done good, but not quite good enough. He's met expectations (a winning program) but hasn't exceeded them (get farther than the second round, win the conference).

I don't think it's unfair to want a coaching change if he doesn't make the NCAA Tournament this year. Alabama canned Anthony Grant for only making one NCAA in six years with the Crimson Tide, and we all know their basketball tradition isn't close to the Hogs.

Having said that, I think Mike ultimately can be successful here, especially with the in-roads he's made in recruiting as of late. His rosters the next three years will be more talented than any of the previous rosters he's had here. There will be no excuses.

He needs to bounce back from this adversity and make the NCAA Tournament this year, and then get on a roll the next 3-4 years with the talent he has coming in.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hulk hog

Lets look at the whole picture for Mike at Missouri and Arkansas.

Missouri was bad when he got there and he brought them back. In year 3 he won 31 games and went to the elite 8.  Year 4 and 5 he was in the tournament.  But if you take out year 3 he was 31-33 in the Big 12 and 1-4 in the Big 12 tournament.

He comes to Arkansas(were I don't think it was as bad talent wise as people say it was year one). There were flashes but it takes until year 4 and he wins 27 and goes to the tournament for the only time.(and by the way against the power 5 and ranked SEC teams we were 1-5 that year).   Take out that year and in the other 4 full seasons he is 35-35 in conference and 2-5 in the SEC tournament.

Minus his best season at each school he is 66-68 in conference play and 3-9 in conference tournaments.
You think its pretty good but at the end of the day when you look at the whole picture it's pretty average.

This a proud program with fans who love the program. It has a rich history. I support the program and the kids but its not enjoyable basketball. We have no identity as a team. The University can do better. We have money, facilities and a strong fan base. We deserve better. I will assure you that the feeling on the Hill is no tournament, no Mike.  Jeff Long better already be reaching out to real candidates and asking 1)will you come and 2)how much will it take.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 12, 2017, 01:19:30 pm
And who was handling most of Nolan's recruiting at the time, when it wasn't Nolan? (rhetorical, you don't have to answer).

Scott Edgar during the glory years.

southeasthog

Quote from: elksnort on January 13, 2017, 05:45:25 pm
And who gives a darn. Don't allow some potential very good players to high jack what coach you have. Do any of you people know these kids? How in the hell do you know what they would do if there were a coaching change?

Get a coach that demands rebounding, blocking out, and can make the needed adjustments.
Because FCJ told them.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 01:21:27 pm
The Arkansas kids should want to play for Arkansas ( I mean we see enough that DID NOT want to play for Mike Anderson - Monk, Allen, Goodwin among others ) so having Mike here has not built a fence around the state.

No, Few is not coming here. I doubt Ryan coaches anywhere again. I think they could get Archie Miller. And as we have seen in the past, you never know who may be looking to move so who knows who they could get. They are not getting Self, or Williams, but they could still get a quality coach, and one that could keep some or all of the kids that everyone is suddenly so afraid of losing.

That would be great if they could get Archie Miller.  :razorback:

There is a possibility that this could be the best job in the off-season 👌.

Arkansas and Jeff Long have the money. Enough money to shell out 3 MM per year for Gregg Marshall 💰💰💰.

Any hogville poster know which other P5 coaches are on the hot seat besides Mike Anderson?  ???

lutherheggs