Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Mike Anderson

Started by The_Iceman, January 11, 2017, 02:19:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Mike Anderson be FIRED if he does not make the 2017 NCAA Tournament?

Yes
255 (72.9%)
No
95 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 349

Razorod

I think it is pretty simple. Fourteen games left, 13-4 record.

Finish 10-4 = 23-8, probably safely in
Finish 9-5 = 22-9, probably need to win at least one in SEC tourney, still sweating on Selection Sunday
Finish 8-6 = 21-10 NIT unless win SEC tourney
Finish 7-7 or worse, 20-11 or worse, does it matter?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The University of Arkansas should be surprised when they don't make the NCAA tourney.  We should be in the tourney 4 out of every 5 years, period.  We should be in the top 25, eight of every ten years.  We should be in the top 10 at least once every 5 years.

Farmer Hogget

Mike is not going to be fired.  Mike will be here another 3 or 4 years.  All this belly aching makes me laugh out loud!  It's gonna be a long time before you haters get your way!  Enjoy!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on January 16, 2017, 09:08:12 pm
Mike is not going to be fired.  Mike will be here another 3 or 4 years.  All this belly aching makes me laugh out loud!  It's gonna be a long time before you haters get your way!  Enjoy!

But it's so fun to banter with them and watch them whine... ;D

lynbug

Quote from: 12247 on January 16, 2017, 09:06:44 pm
The University of Arkansas should be surprised when they don't make the NCAA tourney.  We should be in the tourney 4 out of every 5 years, period.  We should be in the top 25, eight of every ten years.  We should be in the top 10 at least once every 5 years.
Have you forgotten?  You just described 1976-1996.  This scenario has not materialized in the past 20 years. And, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be on the horizon.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 12247 on January 16, 2017, 09:06:44 pm
Here's to hoping we get back to that point. The success of the 1990's.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

5 little pigs

he should be fired now, we won't make tourney

zuko

I'll answer that question with a question.  Why is he still here? Pelphrey got kicked out after 3 so why is it  that Anderson deserves 6 yrs? No one good year should save  him. Look at Frank Martin at South Carolina who is right on schedule for a turn around. Why does Anderson have such a long leash?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: zuko on January 16, 2017, 10:25:45 pm
I'll answer that question with a question.  Why is he still here? Pelphrey got kicked out after 3 so why is it  that Anderson deserves 6 yrs? No one good year should save  him. Look at Frank Martin at South Carolina who is right on schedule for a turn around. Why does Anderson have such a long leash?

Well first off, pel was such a loser man, second off, I think a lot of guys that are not as bad as pel would be given a long leash.  It's not good to constantly fire and hire coaches.

hobhog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on January 16, 2017, 09:08:12 pm

What makes you so sure? He has one of the worst approval ratings of any coach we have had. He needs to Dance and to do that he needs to win some road games. Let's see what happens but.....

hobhog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 16, 2017, 10:29:51 pm
Well first off, pel was such a loser man, second off, I think a lot of guys that are not as bad as pel would be given a long leash.  It's not good to constantly fire and hire coaches.

6 years is plenty of leash. One NCAA appearance in that span is a fireable offense anywhere. No one nationally would be surprised....

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 16, 2017, 04:54:00 pm
The results aren't even remotely similar. Unless of course you want to go the convenient for your argument way, the tourney. Don't forget we got robbed on one. I'm so tired of this false and construed point of view. Look at the records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Heath
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pelphrey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)

We're Arkansas. We shouldn't care about moral victories. The only thing that matters is the tourney.

Heath 1 ncaat in 5 years
Pelphrey 1 in 4 years
Anderson 1 in 5 years

Similar results
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 16, 2017, 04:50:23 pm
Doesn't matter who we had and what kind of schedule we had. We won. You can't change the SEC schedule as much as some would like to. You can only control the nonconference schedule to a certain extent. We've had one season since pretty much all the key contributors off that team left for the draft, transferred, or graduated. How about we sit back and let this season play out.

It mattered.  You didn't address the actual point of the post:  the program was not built for sustainable success.  It was one season.  The season is playing out.  Nobody is stopping it.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 16, 2017, 04:54:00 pm
The results aren't even remotely similar. Unless of course you want to go the convenient for your argument way, the tourney. Don't forget we got robbed on one. I'm so tired of this false and construed point of view. Look at the records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Heath
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pelphrey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)

If you are referring to '13-14, we weren't robbed.  We crapped the bed at Bama and in the SECT.  Typical non conference performance losing to the 2 best teams in the NC schedule.  Evidenced by our NIT seed, we weren't really that close to be robbed. 

Soft scheduling runs up win totals.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

Voted no but that could change to a yes at seasons end.

However it were a three way deal(Long, Bielema and Anderson) I would be all over it, donating money, flying banners, wearing the shirt!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 17, 2017, 01:04:28 am
We're Arkansas. We shouldn't care about moral victories. The only thing that matters is the tourney.

Heath 1 ncaat in 5 years
Pelphrey 1 in 4 years
Anderson 1 in 5 years

Similar results

actually Heath went twice.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Locutus_of_Boar

Please add the category:  "It makes no difference except to Jeff Long who will have a tough time finding anyone else willing to dust off thousands of rarely used seats and vacuuming quarter century old banners each week in his job as Curator of The Basketball Mausoleum of Mid-America."

Hoggish1

You swin across the lake and get within 100 yards of the other side, having gone two miles and you say, I can't make it, I gotta turn back.  That's my answer to the question...

After next year (2018), if he doesn't make the NCAA, it will be time to part ways.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 17, 2017, 11:44:38 am
You swin across the lake and get within 100 yards of the other side, having gone two miles and you say, I can't make it, I gotta turn back.  That's my answer to the question...

After next year (2018), if he doesn't make the NCAA, it will be time to part ways.

but but but he has a great class lined up for 2019..............
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 12:03:20 pm
but but but he has a great class lined up for 2019..............

He has good to great classes for 15-16, 17-18, 18-19 and so far 19-20.  We'be never had four good to great classes while CMA has been here.  He had one really good class and we had good results with it.  So we don't just have a good season coming up this year, or the next, its starting to look like we have sustainable success coming up. 

And again, CMA's had really one good class so far, Bobby's Portis's stacked on top of some below average classes (Qualls and Beard) and following BP's class, we had a NEAR NCAA season (would've been NCAA with better scheduling) and a big win season.