Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2014, 11:58:49 am
4 Boston Butts currently on the WSM. Here they are after 3 hours

What kinda rub did you use?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 21, 2014, 12:07:00 pm
What kinda rub did you use?

Lightly slathered with mustard and a generous amount of Plowboy's Yardbird. Using cherry wood which is all I ever use for pork

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2014, 12:09:55 pm
Lightly slathered with mustard and a generous amount of Plowboy's Yardbird. Using cherry wood which is all I ever use for pork

Great minds think alike. I use cherry wood and plowboys yardbird. That is my "go to" rub for all things pork. I have , however, started using squeeze parkay margarine instead of mustard for slathering.  Seems to make wonderful bark.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 21, 2014, 03:20:46 pm
Great minds think alike. I use cherry wood and plowboys yardbird. That is my "go to" rub for all things pork. I have , however, started using squeeze parkay margarine instead of mustard for slathering.  Seems to make wonderful bark.

May have to try that next time. I'm cooking these a little warmer than I normally do. Going around 275 with four 8-9 lb butts. Hope to have them at 205 after 8 hours.

PharmacistHog

Man I've gotten to where I cook most everything between 275 and 300. I haven't been able to tell any difference other than it speeding up the cook. I cooked the best brisket of my life at 300 degrees a couple weeks ago. I dont know if it has anything to do with the way the egg cooks but these higher temps sure work great for me.

Pulled(PP)pork

Got a 3lb tri tip thawing with some Pappy's Choice Seasoning ready to rub on it. This is the exact make up of what we get in California. ....can't wait!

PP

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 21, 2014, 04:02:42 pm
Man I've gotten to where I cook most everything between 275 and 300. I haven't been able to tell any difference other than it speeding up the cook. I cooked the best brisket of my life at 300 degrees a couple weeks ago. I dont know if it has anything to do with the way the egg cooks but these higher temps sure work great for me.

Today for the first time I'm using sand in the pan instead of water. So far it seems to be easier to maintain temp and it does not seem to be running any hotter than if I was using water. Clean up will be much easier.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2014, 04:17:14 pm
Today for the first time I'm using sand in the pan instead of water. So far it seems to be easier to maintain temp and it does not seem to be running any hotter than if I was using water. Clean up will be much easier.

I
Intend to try that as well, I just havent bought any sand yet. Seems that would also get rid of any burnt grease smell when I'm trying cook a cobbler or cookies or something for dessert.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 21, 2014, 04:10:38 pm
Got a 3lb tri tip thawing with some Pappy's Choice Seasoning ready to rub on it. This is the exact make up of what we get in California. ....can't wait!

PP

Pics please when you are done.

SteveInArk

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2014, 04:17:14 pm

That sounds good .... will try it here, for sure.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

ImHogginIt

June 21, 2014, 06:24:43 pm #460 Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:34:32 am by ImHogginIt
Quote from: SteveInArk on June 21, 2014, 05:38:09 pm
That sounds good .... will try it here, for sure.

I wrapped inner pan with foil, filled it half up with sand then covered sand with two sheets of foil to hold the drippings. Should come right up when it cools off. Should be able to use the sand a number of times provided the dripping doesn't penetrate the foil

SteveInArk

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2014, 06:24:43 pm
I wrapped inner pan with foil, filled it half up with sand then covered sand with two sheets of foil to hold the drippings. Should come right up when it cools off. Should be able to use the sand a number of times provided the dripping doesn't penetrate the foil

Thanks for additional tips, IHI
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

PorkRinds

Did a sirloin using the Finney method last night. Have a pork butt on the smoker right now. It's sitting at 180, so it won't be long. I'll post pics when it's done. Using cherry and hickory. It's a small pork butt, but it's taken longer than I thought it would.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Boog41

Had brisket, corn and okra. Forgot to take a pic of the meat. Half butter, half lime juice on the corn. The okra is broiled, not fried.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Boog41 on June 21, 2014, 08:02:56 pm
Had brisket, corn and okra. Forgot to take a pic of the meat. Half butter, half lime juice on the corn. The okra is broiled, not fried.

Forgot to take a pic of the meat ? LOL  ;D

Boog41

southeasthog

Last weekend I got some tailgate fever. Set up my Razorback canopy in the back yard and broke out the tailgate grill. Took some Potatoes and cut them in halves. Butter, salt-n-pepper with some cajun seasoning to boot. A few wings. Stopped at the butcher shop to look around. Picked up a tenderized chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Threw a couple of Boudain on there later.

zane

Grilled chilli lime pork steaks for tacos the other day.

Also did a few rib eyes and sweet corn on the grill Friday

Need to start taking pics of this stuff :)
RIP LSUfan

PharmacistHog

Wife wanted fajitas for lunch. After Church I fired up the small egg, and threw on a sirloin steak and a few chicken breasts. Cooked a few burgers for the boys. Griddled up some onions and peppers and sliced steak and chicken and it was time to eat (less than 30 minutes). Even threw a cobbler in the oven. Now its time to hold down the couch for the rest of the evening.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 22, 2014, 01:58:45 pm
Wife wanted fajitas for lunch. After Church I fired up the small egg, and threw on a sirloin steak and a few chicken breasts. Cooked a few burgers for the boys. Griddled up some onions and peppers and sliced steak and chicken and it was time to eat (less than 30 minutes). Even threw a cobbler in the oven. Now its time to hold down the couch for the rest of the evening.

I'll take two burgers and some cobbler please

DeltaBoy

I cooked Opra sausages and smoked Cajun sausages and Myron Mixon's red white and blue hamburgers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 22, 2014, 07:18:15 pm
I cooked Opra sausages and smoked Cajun sausages and Myron Mixon's red white and blue hamburgers.

Got a recipe for the burgers?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 22, 2014, 07:18:15 pm

Whats an
Opra sausage?  Or do I want to know?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2014, 06:24:43 pm

This method turned out great. Have always hated cleaning up the pan after using water. Clean up was quick and easy with new method.

PharmacistHog

Did the drippings on the foil burn at all?  Thats one thing I always hate about a drip pan. Those drippings can burn and put off a nasty, acrid smoke.

Pulled(PP)pork

really enjoyed the tri-tip last night.  I'll post pics when I get home tonight.

PP

BR

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 22, 2014, 08:00:54 pm
Whats an
Opra sausage?  Or do I want to know?
NOthing Pops up in Google on it...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 23, 2014, 08:06:42 am
Did the drippings on the foil burn at all?  Thats one thing I always hate about a drip pan. Those drippings can burn and put off a nasty, acrid smoke.

Nope. Just collected in the bowl formed by the foil. Just make sure you double foil in case one layer gets a leak

PorkRinds

Smoked a spatchcocked chicken on the primo. It was some darn fine eating.

PharmacistHog

My man PorkRinds is on a roll with his new Primo.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 26, 2014, 08:57:03 pm
My man PorkRinds is on a roll with his new Primo.

This thing is doing work bro.

BR

Pulled Pork, Baked Beans, slaw and smoked Oysters...  Later today

ImHogginIt

Last night ribeyes and portobello mushrooms. Tonight for the NASCAR race I'm thinking hamburgers unless the wife wants to cook something herself

I do have about 6 gallon size Ziplock bags full of the frozen pulled pork I smoked two weeks ago left in the freezer. May pull one out to thaw

PorkRinds

Just rocked two racks of spare ribs on the primo. My first rib cook on it.  Turned out great.

Boarcephus

not bad looking plants.....

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

You are killing it with that primo. What took you so long to come over to the ceramic side?

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 13, 2014, 09:42:27 pm
You are killing it with that primo. What took you so long to come over to the ceramic side?

The wife!!!

PorkRinds

Another day another amazing meal on the primo.

PharmacistHog

We just had pork chops from my old beat up egg.

BR

kibster

My first attempt at a tri tip tonight. Saw one at the local meat market and did an impulse buy.

Turned out pretty well. Will do things a little different next time, but it is easy to see why all those Californians love it.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

PharmacistHog

How did you cook your tritip and what would you do different?

kibster

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 24, 2014, 08:58:33 am
How did you cook your tritip and what would you do different?

I smoked it at 225 for a couple of hours to get it to about 120.  Then did a quick reverse sear to get it to 130-135.

Next time I will try a simple Santa Maria style, just for something different. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

BR

PUTTING a hurting on a Shrimp/Clam/Sausage Boil. With Smoked Oysters and grilled chicken...  PHOTOS to come later...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: kibster on July 23, 2014, 09:34:25 pm
My first attempt at a tri tip tonight. Saw one at the local meat market and did an impulse buy.

Turned out pretty well. Will do things a little different next time, but it is easy to see why all those Californians love it.
if you have bought it seasoned, the seasoning we like is Pappy's Choice Seasoning....darn good stuff

PP

BR

BR

Me and my Grandson last weekends Shrimp & Clam boil...

LSUFan

Quote from: BR on August 03, 2014, 12:20:08 pm

Me and my Grandson last weekends Shrimp & Clam boil...
Check out the tits on that BRoad!

;)

I love me some bawled shramps!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Back in the poor house again, pork chops an  chicken using Lowerys Hawaiian Marinade.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Made my fourth brisket ever, and first in a couple of years. Made my own rub (twas allsum), smoked with oak/hickory at 275 until 165 internal, double wrapped in foil until 195. Pretty damn good.

Go away, batin'