Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigstyx

Two racks of ribs today on the Egg. 3-2-1 method. One wet, one dry. Both falling off the bone tender. Turned out great. Walmart has ribs at $1.98/lb. all week. Was skeptical, but I'm all in now....

Iamphatman

Quote from: bigstyx on June 16, 2013, 08:25:36 pm
Two racks of ribs today on the Egg. 3-2-1 method. One wet, one dry. Both falling off the bone tender. Turned out great. Walmart has ribs at $1.98/lb. all week. Was skeptical, but I'm all in now....

I'm still skeptical. I've never had meat from wal mart that was decent. Ever since I started using a butcher, that garbage wal mart calls meat is out of the question.

99toLife

Quote from: bigstyx on June 14, 2013, 09:50:17 pm
BTW 99, thanks for posting the Chicken Bomb recipe. It's definitely made the permanent rotation. Mrs. Styx doesn't let me write recipes in her "special" book, but made an exception tonight...
No Problem, very simple and always good. now you need to experiment a little with them..

old hog

Quote from: Iamphatman on June 17, 2013, 11:31:59 pm
I'm still skeptical. I've never had meat from wal mart that was decent. Ever since I started using a butcher, that garbage wal mart calls meat is out of the question.
Might try Wallmart ribs, but that would be it. Had been using Lonnie's here in Conway, but with them run out of business by Health Dept. and closed, started using Tommy's in Maumelle. Like some of Kroger's meat when it is fresh cut, but lately the flavor is just not there with the meat in the display cases.

bigstyx

Quote from: Iamphatman on June 17, 2013, 11:31:59 pm
They were Farmland brand which my brother-in-law has a contract with to sell hogs, so I figured it was worth a shot.

catfish07

I searched but failed to find the chicken bomb recipe; would you mind PM or reposting?

Thank you!
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

old hog

Quote from: catfish07 on June 19, 2013, 07:17:06 am
I searched but failed to find the chicken bomb recipe; would you mind PM or reposting?

Thank you!
Link on previous page of topic, but here is the link.

http://www.desktopcookbook.com/recipe/161443/CHICKEN-BOMBS.htm

catfish07

Quote from: old hog on June 19, 2013, 10:04:57 am
Link on previous page of topic, but here is the link.

http://www.desktopcookbook.com/recipe/161443/CHICKEN-BOMBS.htm

If it was  snake I would have been bitten. Thank you for taking the time to share.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

kibster

Tonight I am grilling a flank steak and serving with a chimmichurri sauce

Also grilling some confetti eggplants that I picked up at the farmers market this morning.  Will grill them, then do a light drizzle with balsamic and honey with some fresh basil and goat cheese.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Old Tusk

The 4th of July is in the smokeer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

ImHogginIt

Smoking two 9 lb Boston Butts, 4 racks of baby back ribs and two 8 lb pork tenderloins on the 4th

BR

Quote from: BR on June 09, 2013, 07:58:00 pm

5 1/2 pounds of Lobster, 3 pounds of Scallops, 3 pounds of Shrimp.... DAMN good eats. 
Working on a Jamaican Tater, Peppers & Onion Scalloped to go with the Shrimp, Lobster and scallops I am cooking tomorrow...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

Boneless pork ribs and chicken that I Marinated for 2 days.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jdelo77

Fried three big freezer bags of crappie last night but tried something new , cut the first batch into strips and made crappie tacos , threw some cabbage and cheese and a little of my horse radish sauce on top !

DOGALUM

Smoked a brisket yesterday.   Was the best one I've ever done.  Used a new rub recipe.  Also used a new red sauce as a dip for the brisket.....spectacular.

Also....for dessert....I used a recipe for banana pudding that was brand new to me.   It was......by far.....the best banana pudding that I've ever had.   Was very simple to make....just a couple of differences from usual made it totally different.  And spectacular.

8 cups milk
4 cook and serve banana pudding packages (not instant)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (the secret to the success I think)
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
5 bananas
1 box vanilla/nilla wafers

Mix egg whites and tartar with electric mixer at high speed until starts to get frothy.  Add sugar and continue to mix until thick.  (standard meringue)
Set aside

Mix milk, condensed milk, and pudding mix  with a wire wisk in a large sauce pan.  Heat to a full boil over medium heat.....STIRRING CONSTANTLY.

Pour half of pudding mixture into a 9x13 baking pan.

I put an entire layer of banana slices then an entire layer of wafers. in the middle.  I then did another spaced out layer of banana slices and wafers. (just to use all my banana slices and wafers.

Then add the other half of the pudding mix to the top. 

Spread meringue over the entire top making sure the meringue "seals" at the edges.

Bake for 13 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. (or until meringue is golden brown)

Remove and let stand for 30 minutes before serving.

(you will be eating this warm.   You can refrigerate it, but banana pudding is notorious for "weeping"...and so is meringue....so if you get it cold....get ready to have a lot of water in it)

Guys.....this is a very simple recipe....and may be the one many of you already use.   But it was new to me and was simply amazing.  Again.....I think that the condensed milk makes a huge difference.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 12:54:00 pm
Smoked a brisket yesterday.   Was the best one I've ever done.  Used a new rub recipe.  Also used a new red sauce as a dip for the brisket.....spectacular.

Also....for dessert....I used a recipe for banana pudding that was brand new to me.   It was......by far.....the best banana pudding that I've ever had.   Was very simple to make....just a couple of differences from usual made it totally different.  And spectacular.

8 cups milk
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
5 bananas

Mix egg whites and tartar with electric mixer at high speed until starts to get frothy.  Add sugar and continue to mix until thick.  (standard meringue)
Set aside

Mix milk, condensed milk, and pudding mix  with a wire wisk in a large sauce pan.  Heat to a full boil over medium heat.....STIRRING CONSTANTLY.

I put an entire layer of banana slices then an entire layer of wafers. in the middle.  I then did another spaced out layer of banana slices and wafers. (just to use all my banana slices and wafers.

Spread meringue over the entire top making sure the meringue "seals" at the edges.

Bake for 13 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. (or until meringue is golden brown)

(you will be eating this warm.   You can refrigerate it, but banana pudding is notorious for "weeping"...and so is meringue....so if you get it cold....get ready to have a lot of water in it)

Guys.....this is a very simple recipe....and may be the one many of you already use.   But it was new to me and was simply amazing.  Again.....I think that the condensed milk makes a huge difference.   

And the red sauce? 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DOGALUM

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 15, 2013, 01:28:13 pm
And the red sauce? 
I will post the recipe when I get home.   Just remembered the pudding because it was so simple.

The red sauce was a cider vinegar based sauce.   Included Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, cumin, onion and garlic powder, brown sugar,......a couple of other things.   

I've never done what I consider a damn good brisket until yesterday.   I was very happy with it.  Hell....my wife even told me how good it was.   Just fell into place that the sauce and pudding were both very good as well.   One of those everything is spectacular meals.   

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 01:34:29 pm
I will post the recipe when I get home.   Just remembered the pudding because it was so simple.

The red sauce was a cider vinegar based sauce.   Included Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, cumin, onion and garlic powder, brown sugar,......a couple of other things.   

I've never done what I consider a damn good brisket until yesterday.   I was very happy with it.  Hell....my wife even told me how good it was.   Just fell into place that the sauce and pudding were both very good as well.   One of those everything is spectacular meals.   

I do one very similar to what you are describing for pulled pork.  Please do post it when you can if you don't mind, though. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DOGALUM

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 15, 2013, 01:38:32 pm
I do one very similar to what you are describing for pulled pork.  Please do post it when you can if you don't mind, though. 
1 1/2 Cups cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup worcerstershire sauce
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 1/1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic (i used garlic powder)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground red pepper

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Stirring until butter melts.  Remove from heat; serve warm

I didnt put the butter in until the boil just started and I stirred constantly.   

I had never had red sauce on a brisket....or anything else.  I really enjoyed it but others may have had better....

Jek Tono Porkins

For supper today I smoked some pork steaks. I marinated them in an apple brine and smoked them over applewood. They were really freakin' good.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 10:18:06 pm
1 1/2 Cups cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 1/1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Stirring until butter melts.  Remove from heat; serve warm

I had never had red sauce on a brisket....or anything else.  I really enjoyed it but others may have had better....

Thanks, bud, I appreciate it.  Will try that out this weekend. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 16, 2013, 08:51:45 am
Thanks, bud, I appreciate it.  Will try that out this weekend. 
Cool.   I'll be interested to see what you think.

BR

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 10:18:06 pm
1 1/2 Cups cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 1/1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

Might try this 

HawgWild

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 12:54:00 pm

8 cups milk
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
5 bananas

Set aside

Got my curiosity up. I picked up the ingredients and plan on giving it a try this weekend.

old hog

Never had cooked banana pudding. May have to try it.

DOGALUM

Quote from: old hog on July 17, 2013, 04:44:25 pm
  Never had cooked banana pudding. May have to try it.
I'm telling you.....it was very good.....VERY good.   

HawgWild

I'm going to try out a recipe for Vietnamese Marinated Flank Steak With Cucumber and Radish Salad tonight.

I report back if there's any interest.

DOGALUM

Quote from: HawgWild on July 19, 2013, 12:38:57 pm
I'm going to try out a recipe for Vietnamese Marinated Flank Steak With Cucumber and Radish Salad tonight.

Please do.   

Also.....let me know what you think about the banana pudding.   (you are gonna love it)

HawgWild

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 19, 2013, 12:42:40 pm
Please do.   

Also.....let me know what you think about the banana pudding.   (you are gonna love it)

Will do. I'm going to do the pudding tomorrow.

HawgWild

Quote from: HawgWild on July 19, 2013, 12:38:57 pm

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 19, 2013, 12:42:40 pm
Please do.   

Vietnamese Marinated Flank Steak With Cucumber and Radish Salad
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Ingredients
•   1/2 cup fish sauce
•   1 tablespoon packed lime zest
•   1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
•   2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
•   2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
•   1 large jalapeño, seeds and veins removed if desired, minced
•   1 flank steak, about 1 1/2 pounds
•   1 small seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced
•   1 large bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
•   4 scallions, thinly sliced
•   1 teaspoon vegetable, peanut or olive oil (optional)
•   Cooked rice noodles or rice, for serving (optional)
•   Sesame seeds or crushed roasted peanuts, for serving (optional)
•   Fresh mint leaves or cilantro, for serving (optional)
Method
1.   In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic and jalapeño. Pour 1/2 of the mixture over the flank steak and let marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate for up to 24 hours). Let meat come to room temperature before cooking if necessary.
2.   Combine the cucumber, radishes and scallions. Pour in just enough of the marinade sauce to coat.
3.   Light the grill or heat the broiler to high. Pat steak dry with paper towels.
4.   If grilling, cook until done to taste, about 3 minutes per side for rare. If broiling, heat a 10-inch skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Add oil to pan and sear the meat for 2 minutes. Flip meat and immediately transfer pan directly to top shelf of oven and broil for 2 to 3 minutes for rare, or longer for more well-done meat. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes covered in foil.
5.   Thinly slice steak and serve over cooked rice noodles or rice if desired, and top with the cucumber salad. Garnish with sesame seeds and plenty of herbs if using and serve with remaining marinade as a sauce.

I cooked it on the grill (of course) and served it over rice. I also added some Habanero strips to the marinade for extra kick.

It was pretty good and I'll fix again and serve to guests. I've been exploring some of the cheaper cuts of meat lately and been real pleased with what can be done with Flank steak.

I'm thinking I won't get around to the banana pudding tonight but will do it tomorrow for sure.

HuntinHog

Nailed some ribeyes tonight.  Slight failure on the fresh cut fries, it's amazing how there really is an art to something that seems so simple on paper.

old hog

That marinated flank steak looks really good. Will have to try it. Thanks.

Iamphatman

Quote from: HawgWild on July 20, 2013, 02:51:11 pm
Vietnamese Marinated Flank Steak With Cucumber and Radish Salad
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Ingredients
•   1/2 cup fish sauce
•   1 tablespoon packed lime zest
•   1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
•   2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
•   2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
•   1 large jalapeño, seeds and veins removed if desired, minced
•   1 flank steak, about 1 1/2 pounds
•   1 small seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced
•   1 large bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
•   4 scallions, thinly sliced
•   1 teaspoon vegetable, peanut or olive oil (optional)
•   Cooked rice noodles or rice, for serving (optional)
•   Sesame seeds or crushed roasted peanuts, for serving (optional)
•   Fresh mint leaves or cilantro, for serving (optional)
Method
1.   In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic and jalapeño. Pour 1/2 of the mixture over the flank steak and let marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate for up to 24 hours). Let meat come to room temperature before cooking if necessary.
2.   Combine the cucumber, radishes and scallions. Pour in just enough of the marinade sauce to coat.
3.   Light the grill or heat the broiler to high. Pat steak dry with paper towels.
4.   If grilling, cook until done to taste, about 3 minutes per side for rare. If broiling, heat a 10-inch skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Add oil to pan and sear the meat for 2 minutes. Flip meat and immediately transfer pan directly to top shelf of oven and broil for 2 to 3 minutes for rare, or longer for more well-done meat. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes covered in foil.
5.   Thinly slice steak and serve over cooked rice noodles or rice if desired, and top with the cucumber salad. Garnish with sesame seeds and plenty of herbs if using and serve with remaining marinade as a sauce.

I cooked it on the grill (of course) and served it over rice. I also added some Habanero strips to the marinade for extra kick.

It was pretty good and I'll fix again and serve to guests. I've been exploring some of the cheaper cuts of meat lately and been real pleased with what can be done with Flank steak.

I'm thinking I won't get around to the banana pudding tonight but will do it tomorrow for sure.

I love flank steak. I make it marinated in Mexican type spices and lemon/lime juice and serve up with corn tortillas and the regular Mexican sides. It's really good and a cheap way to feed steak to the family Witt breaking the bank.

DOGALUM

Well?   How was the pudding?   How was the red sauce?

I've been wondering all week.

Huckleberry Pig

Went striper fishing on lake texoma last weekend and was able to hit my limit.  ended up with 20 fillets of striper so naturally had some friends over to help me eat them.  Since we had a large group and the grill at my apt sucks we decided to broil them but they turned out great.  Very easy too.  Just added some cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, a touch of salt, and butter and broiled them until they were ready.  About 15 minutes.  Turned out Great.  Helped that I was able to cook them the same day they were caught.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 24, 2013, 09:52:32 am
Well?   How was the pudding?   How was the red sauce?

I've been wondering all week.

Man I had some things come up and had to change plans. Hopefully I can smoke a pork butt this weekend and try out the sauce. Will keep you posted though.

DOGALUM

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 24, 2013, 10:54:40 am
Man I had some things come up and had to change plans. Hopefully I can smoke a pork butt this weekend and try out the sauce. Will keep you posted though.
No worries.  Just checking.   

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 24, 2013, 10:56:03 am
No worries.  Just checking.   

Smoked a really small butt on the egg today. Made your red sauce to go with it (didnt really measure ingredients though). Its really good. Similar to what I usually make but this is a little thicker. Made a great sandwich.

ImHogginIt

Just put two 8 lb Boston butts in the oven to finish them off. Also smoked three 3 lb pork tenderloins and three racks of baby back ribs from Sams. After smoking the ribs 2 hrs I tried putting brown sugar and honey on them and wrapped them in foil meaty side down for two more hours then unwrapped about 30 mins. Holy shiit they were my best ribs ever

kibster

Nothing special this weekend.  Just some burgers and eggplant on the grill Saturday evening. 

Was going to smoke a brisket on Sunday, but I couldn't find any at a reasonable price on Saturday.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

DeltaBoy

Pork Chops and Chicken tenders last week , Boudian for Labor day.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

RazorWild

Rib Roast.  These things are sweet!  Enjoy the game this week y'all.  WPS!

hoosier

Damn RW, great looking prime rib

What temp did you cook it and how long?

RazorWild

Thanks man.  Cooked at 250 till it reached 120.  It was a 7.7 lb 3 bone roast.  After 120 I pulled, got egg to 500 then seared each side for 1 minute each.  Pulled then let sit for 30 min.  It was outstanding!

DeltaBoy

more Brawts, Summer sauage Chicken and Pork Chops!  :razorback:

jdelo77

How much does rib roast run a pound around here ?

RazorWild

Around 12 per pound.  You don't have to go bone in roast.  A boneless rib roast is prolly just as tasty and cheaper. 

ImHogginIt

Just pcked up a 1.1 lb and 1.3 lb ribeyes for Saturday right before the game  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Boarcephus

Picked up a couple nice filets from Fresh Market for the ballgame and made crab cakes tonight.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR