Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aspen or Breckenridge?

Started by AnonymousHog, May 21, 2013, 10:19:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousHog

May 21, 2013, 10:19:24 am Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:23:45 am by AnonymousHog

Jackrabbit Hog

Breckenridge = younger crowd, spring breakish, clubs and bars, crowded ski slopes.

Aspen = older and richer crowd, more exclusive feeling, boutiques, expensive.

Both = great skiing, great views, great times.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

AnonymousHog

Jackrabbit would you say the costs between Breckenridge and Aspen is the same or is Aspen like ungodly expensive?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 22, 2013, 09:34:04 am
Jackrabbit would you say the costs between Breckenridge and Aspen is the same or is Aspen like ungodly expensive?

Haven't been to either place in quite a few years, but traditionally I'd say that Aspen is quite a bit more expensive than Breckenridge....food, lodging, shops, etc.

I don't know if you're tied to either of those two.  If you're not, I'd sure consider Winter Park.  WP is the closest resort to Denver, is a beautiful place, and is less expensive than either Aspen or Breckenridge.  The one caveat is to go DURING THE WEEK.  All the Denver people go to Winter Park on the weekends and it's crowded as heck.  But then they all go home on Sunday nights, and for the next 5 days it's fantastic.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SwinerBock

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 22, 2013, 04:07:41 pm
Haven't been to either place in quite a few years, but traditionally I'd say that Aspen is quite a bit more expensive than Breckenridge....food, lodging, shops, etc.

I don't know if you're tied to either of those two.  If you're not, I'd sure consider Winter Park.  WP is the closest resort to Denver, is a beautiful place, and is less expensive than either Aspen or Breckenridge.  The one caveat is to go DURING THE WEEK.  All the Denver people go to Winter Park on the weekends and it's crowded as heck.  But then they all go home on Sunday nights, and for the next 5 days it's fantastic.
This.

Ugly Uncle

Anony...

Go to Aspen, but don't stay in Aspen.  There are some places outside of town that offer very nice stays and not nearly as expensive.

What most people don't realize is there is 3 good mountains around Aspen.  You can buy lifts for all three.  If your dad hasn't done a lot of skiing, then Buttermilk is by far the best place to go.  Very good easy skiing and beautiful.  One side of Buttermilk is extreme sports skiing.  It was the first place they ever held the winter X games.  However, the other side is great skiing.  I once met Terry Bradshaw on Buttermilk.  Worse skier I've ever met.  But his people took him to Buttermilk to get used to skiing.  He was in Aspen for an appearance.

After a couple of days on Buttermilk ski at least once down Aspen mountain.  The powder there is amazing.  Riding the Gondola up to the top is spectacular.

I've been to Copper Mnt., Breckenridge, and Crested Butte.  In order of what it sounds like you are looking for is Aspen, Crested Butte, Copper Mnt., Breckenridge.

Again, you don't have to stay at the really expensive places IN Aspen, you can stay out a few miles and enjoy more affordably all that Aspen has to offer.
Retired Radio Host

AnonymousHog

Jackrabbit do you have any places you recommend staying at in Winter Park.  Looks like a pretty area.

AnonymousHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 23, 2013, 05:37:21 pm
Anony...

Go to Aspen, but don't stay in Aspen.  There are some places outside of town that offer very nice stays and not nearly as expensive.

What most people don't realize is there is 3 good mountains around Aspen.  You can buy lifts for all three.  If your dad hasn't done a lot of skiing, then Buttermilk is by far the best place to go.  Very good easy skiing and beautiful.  One side of Buttermilk is extreme sports skiing.  It was the first place they ever held the winter X games.  However, the other side is great skiing.  I once met Terry Bradshaw on Buttermilk.  Worse skier I've ever met.  But his people took him to Buttermilk to get used to skiing.  He was in Aspen for an appearance.

After a couple of days on Buttermilk ski at least once down Aspen mountain.  The powder there is amazing.  Riding the Gondola up to the top is spectacular.

I've been to Copper Mnt., Breckenridge, and Crested Butte.  In order of what it sounds like you are looking for is Aspen, Crested Butte, Copper Mnt., Breckenridge.

Again, you don't have to stay at the really expensive places IN Aspen, you can stay out a few miles and enjoy more affordably all that Aspen has to offer.

There's places that show up around Aspen like Snowmass village is this an area you're talking about?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 23, 2013, 06:52:25 pm
Jackrabbit do you have any places you recommend staying at in Winter Park.  Looks like a pretty area.

I've been to Winter Park twice and both times were quite a few years ago.  The first time we rented a house in town.  I wouldn't do that again.  The last time I spent a little more and stayed at a place called the Zephyr Mountain Lodge, which is at the base of the mountain by one of the express lifts, so it is a true "ski in, ski out" lodge.  It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't overly expensive either, and it was very, very nice.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 23, 2013, 06:57:18 pm
There's places that show up around Aspen like Snowmass village is this an area you're talking about?

I believe we stayed in Carbondale.  There were a couple of place between Aspen and there though.
Retired Radio Host

Hogfly

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 23, 2013, 06:52:25 pm

Do you want to stay on mountain or close to the mountain? If that doesn't matter to you, you might check out the the Inn at Silver Creek. When I lived in Colorado, we had Winter Park passes, and this is where we always stayed with all our friends when we went up for weekends. It takes about 25 minutes to get to WP from there, but it's a pretty great place to stay for the price (at least it was at the time). It has pool, hot tubs, game rooms, rooms with kitchenettes, and all of that sort of stuff.

There's also a smaller ski mountain very nearby called Sol Vista.

Hawg Balling

Both are great but Aspen is far more expensive because they tend to cater to a high dollar clientele.  Both are nice, and if he's never been to Colorado before, I'd just go to Breckenridge.  Keystone, which isn't far, is also really nice.

TechHog

We go to Snowmass every year for a reason.  The skiing is awesome and the people are great.  We typically go into Aspen proper for dinners.  Little Annies, Taka Sushi are both great and moderately priced.  The Snowmass lift ticket will also get you on Buttermilk and Aspen Highlands too.  On mountain lunches are silly expensive for what you get.  If you pick Snowmass, try to go in early-mid March before the springs breakers hit.  Also, the weather is great and they have plenty of quality snow by then.