Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yellowstone

Started by BA Hogwild, January 25, 2012, 02:15:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BA Hogwild

Taking the wife and two boys mid July for 10 days. We plan on driving around the park and staying at different hotels. We will stay at Ole Faithful a couple of nights. Any suggestions on food,hotels,etc...?
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

OakTreeHawg

We just picked one in the middle and stayed the whole time.  You can do North Loop in one or two days and then South Loop in one or two days.  Get ready for the time of your life if you like nature and wildlife.  Don't forget Mount Rushmore on the way in or out.

DeltaBoy

My wife been 2 times before we met and said the North Rim is the best and not as crowded as the South rim is during the summer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bookmama

If you are trying to stay at a hotel or cabin inside Yellowstone in July, you will need to already have a reservation or else get very lucky.  When we have gone, we have chosen to stay in one location as much as possible.  It's true that you drive a ways to get to other parts of Yellowstone, but on the other hand, you don't have to pack all your belongings into the car and check out before starting your day.  Our feeling is the not having to pack up everything at the start of the day is the more significant time-saver.

If you have not made in-the-park hotel reservations yet (which means you probably can't make them), then my recommendation would be to make reservations at a hotel in Gardner Montana just north of the park.  Alternatively, Flagg Ranch has a motel and campground that is just south of Yellowstone park.

But.... a good idea would be to read about some of the things to see and do in Yellowstone and decide which ones most interest your family and then choose a location based on those activities.

CPO Hog

Went up there a couple summers ago. We stayed at a ski resort in Jackson Hole WY. Lots of vacancies, cheap. Snake river run through the middle of the valley. Tetons NP is minutes away. We did a day trip up to Yellowstone, lots of great scenery on the way.

nwarazfan

May 03, 2012, 11:49:12 am #5 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:51:54 am by nwarazfan
Yellowstone is awesome.  Words can't describe parts of it unless you have no interest in nature or natural wonders.  I've stayed in Jackson Hole. Grand Tetons NP is very cool too if you get a chance to go.  One thing though is I can't imagine Yellowstone crowds during the summer while school is out.  I've been in the Fall.  Good luck with traffic and parking spots in July. 

The Geysers and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone are must sees.  What I found enjoyable is that you drive a few miles and the scenery and environment can totally change.   As far as food, the burgers and ice cream at the Geysers Basin were good but it may have been because I was starving after having walked the basin all afternoon.  Since you have the kids not sure if you are interested, but Jackson Hole of course has a number of good restaurants.  It is a drive though.  I'll add that comment too.  Places may not look far on the map but you can't drive fast and with traffic it can take more time to get places than you think.  Plus Yellowstone is a big park.  10 days should give you the time though to see it. 

BA Hogwild

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been twice but the last time was the year after the major forest fire. 20+ years ago. Ready to see my kids excitement.
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

nwarazfan

Quote from: BA Hogwild on May 03, 2012, 01:13:34 pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been twice but the last time was the year after the major forest fire. 20+ years ago. Ready to see my kids excitement.

You can still see a lot of the effects of the fire.  I can't imagine what it looked like right afterwards. 

cypert2

I'll second what someone said about the reservations. I've been 3 times and you better have your rooms lined up well in advance. We always stay for a week and just stay at one hotel the whole time.
Swinging on the two and the four.

BA Hogwild

Yes, we have booked our hotel rooms. I remember my Dad trying to find one many years ago and it was difficult. Rooms are booked. Staying in Ole Faithful for a few nights.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

johnny cash

Yellowstone is awesome. Tetons are just as good in my opinion. My favorite place is north of there in Montana Glacier national park try that out sometime.