Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Destin or Gulf Shores?

Started by Abominable Hillbilly, July 23, 2009, 09:34:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Abominable Hillbilly

Help me out.  I have been to Panama City, but not since having a family.  Which is better between Destin and Gulf Shores.  We just want to get away for about 4 nights and carry the kids to the beach.  I know Gulf SHores is 50 miles closer.  Thanks
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

razorshark

Perdido Key, next to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.  At least you can say you went to Florida.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

Madhog2020

Definitely go to Destin!! 

I grew up going to PCB every year and for the past 10 or so years we have mixed in a a few trips to Destin & have ATTEMPTED to enjoy Gulf Shores.  However, every time we go to Gulf Shores there are so many jelly fish you can't get in the water and the water is brown.  I know there are people who will say I caught GS at a bad time but I have heard the same story about jelly fish, etc. from many other people as well.

Destin is much better.   

Boarcephus

Quote from: Madhog2020 on July 23, 2009, 10:53:51 am
Definitely go to Destin!! 

I grew up going to PCB every year and for the past 10 or so years we have mixed in a a few trips to Destin & have ATTEMPTED to enjoy Gulf Shores.  However, every time we go to Gulf Shores there are so many jelly fish you can't get in the water and the water is brown.  I know there are people who will say I caught GS at a bad time but I have heard the same story about jelly fish, etc. from many other people as well.

Destin is much better.  

Not sure about the jelly fish but Gulf Shores is just not as clean as Destin.  The gulf has a more industrial look to it.  The sand is not as white, the water is browner, just seems dirtier. 

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

john c

Sandestin!  Stay on the Bay side.

Boarcephus

Quote from: john c on July 23, 2009, 09:04:05 pm
Sandestin!  Stay on the Bay side.

Uhhh,  NO.  Why would you stay over there when you can stay on the gulf?  We just love Beachside Towers II.  Got back in May and had a 2 BR unit on the 13th floor with a wrap around view.  Can see forever.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lanny

No comparison.  Pick Destin
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Boarcephus

July 27, 2009, 07:21:17 pm #7 Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:43:49 pm by Boarcephus
We booked a one bedroom condo at Sandestin for the first week in Oct this afternoon.  14th floor, helluva view and can't wait.   The great thing about Oct is you get a sunset out over the gulf and it's beautiful.  The weather is great, water is still warm, and the kids are in school.  Should be perfect.   Take a stroll down the beach and check out Jerry Jones home.  It's only about a half a mile from where we stay. Not too shabby a place.

All we need is to find another restaurant to try and we'll be set.  Harbor Docks for lunch a couple times, Ocean Club for dinner once, Boathouse Oyster bar a time or two, and believe it or not, Cheeseburger in Paradise is pretty darn good.   We're into eating out at lunch so that throws Louisiana Langniappe and the Red Bar out.  Anyone with a good idea we'd love to hear it.

HuntinHog

July 28, 2009, 08:40:07 am #8 Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:42:14 am by HuntinHog
Quote from: Boarcephus on July 27, 2009, 07:21:17 pm
We booked a one bedroom condo at Sandestin for the first week in Oct this afternoon.  14th floor, helluva view and can't wait.   The great thing about Oct is you get a sunset out over the gulf and it's beautiful.  The weather is great, water is still warm, and the kids are in school.  Should be perfect.   Take a stroll down the beach and check out Jerry Jones home.  It's only about a half a mile from where we stay. Not too shabby a place.

All we need is to find another restaurant to try and we'll be set.  Harbor Docks for lunch a couple times, Ocean Club for dinner once, Boathouse Oyster bar a time or two, and believe it or not, Cheeseburger in Paradise is pretty darn good.   We're into eating out at lunch so that throws Louisiana Langniappe and the Red Bar out.  Anyone with a good idea we'd love to hear it.

Marina Cafe, it's my favorite place down there.  Get there early enough to eat with the old people and it's two for one like the Ocean Club.

Also for lunch one day go to McGuires.

McKdaddy

We booked a one bedroom condo at Sandestin for the first week in Oct this afternoon.  14th floor, helluva view and can't wait.   The great thing about Oct is you get a sunset out over the gulf and it's beautiful.  The weather is great, water is still warm, and the kids are in school.  Should be perfect.   Take a stroll down the beach and check out Jerry Jones home.  It's only about a half a mile from where we stay. Not too shabby a place.

We also stay at Sandestin -- the Westwinds tower.  We go in early October and get a 2-br condo w/ the wrap-around balcony, in one direction is the beach and the other the golf course.

The best thing about going in the fall is all the kiddies are in school, so you have the run of Destin and the resort.  This will be the last year before we have a school-aged child, but thankfully there is a fall-break in her school (though I don't know if a "fall-break" is a week-long thing or just a long weekend).  You could fire off a shotgun at the pool, the beach, the condo hallways, the lobby and not hit anyone.  It is a ghost town, which I don't mind.  This will be the 6th year we've stayed at the Westwinds Sandestin in early October, and I don't know that I have ever seen another person in our hallway that isn't an employee.

Sandestin is a great resort.  It offers a little bit of everything.  Someone above mentioned staying on the harbor side.  We did that once (our first year), and while I prefer the gulf view, the harbor side offers a different aspect of the resort for those that desire it.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Boarcephus

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 28, 2009, 09:58:30 am
We also stay at Sandestin -- the Westwinds tower.  We go in early October and get a 2-br condo w/ the wrap-around balcony, in one direction is the beach and the other the golf course.

The best thing about going in the fall is all the kiddies are in school, so you have the run of Destin and the resort.  This will be the last year before we have a school-aged child, but thankfully there is a fall-break in her school (though I don't know if a "fall-break" is a week-long thing or just a long weekend).  You could fire off a shotgun at the pool, the beach, the condo hallways, the lobby and not hit anyone.  It is a ghost town, which I don't mind.  This will be the 6th year we've stayed at the Westwinds Sandestin in early October, and I don't know that I have ever seen another person in our hallway that isn't an employee.

Sandestin is a great resort.  It offers a little bit of everything.  Someone above mentioned staying on the harbor side.  We did that once (our first year), and while I prefer the gulf view, the harbor side offers a different aspect of the resort for those that desire it.

Westwinds is newer and probably nicer than Beachside II but BS II is closer to the water plus we've stayed there for 20 years and it just feels like home to us.   October is just a nice time to go down there. 

I know what you mean about Sandestin.  Something about it just feels good.  Mom and Dad will be down this year and are staying at Hidden Dunes and it's just not the same.  It doesn't have the golf course, or the lakes, or the trails along the bay to just mess around on.  Just not as good.

HuntinHog, been to the Marina Cafe once and they served our water with a roach in the glass and have not been able to go back.  One of those things I guess.  We may try McGuires this year just but we generally go to local places where we can eat the seafood.  I've pulled the menu up and it's just not that appealing to us but we may give it a shot anyway.

McKdaddy

Boar, I guess I've not paid that much attention to where Westwinds sits on the beach in relation to BS 1&2. There's a 40 yard deck walk to get to the beach from Westwinds, but is it really that much farther from the water than BS 1&2?  I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I've just not paid that close attention. I kinda thought they were all lined up in a row (relatively speaking).

I'll hang up and listen.   

HuntinHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 28, 2009, 06:45:55 pm
Westwinds is newer and probably nicer than Beachside II but BS II is closer to the water plus we've stayed there for 20 years and it just feels like home to us.   October is just a nice time to go down there. 

I know what you mean about Sandestin.  Something about it just feels good.  Mom and Dad will be down this year and are staying at Hidden Dunes and it's just not the same.  It doesn't have the golf course, or the lakes, or the trails along the bay to just mess around on.  Just not as good.

HuntinHog, been to the Marina Cafe once and they served our water with a roach in the glass and have not been able to go back.  One of those things I guess.  We may try McGuires this year just but we generally go to local places where we can eat the seafood.  I've pulled the menu up and it's just not that appealing to us but we may give it a shot anyway.

Your standards are way too high if you're going to let one roach keep you from going back!  ;)

As for McGuires, I didn't go there for years because I figured I would rather get seafood somewhere.  I was missing out, it's a great burger and a fun atmosphere, there's a quarter million dollars in 1 dollar bills hanging from the ceiling and walls.

McKdaddy

I never hear anyone suggest this place, so maybe it sucks and I'm the sucker that keeps going back . . . but our annual stopping place is Old Bay Steamer.  I only get their king crab legs (which are the biggest I've found in the Destin / FtW area).

Boarcephus

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 28, 2009, 08:58:56 pm
Boar, I guess I've not paid that much attention to where Westwinds sits on the beach in relation to BS 1&2. There's a 40 yard deck walk to get to the beach from Westwinds, but is it really that much farther from the water than BS 1&2?  I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I've just not paid that close attention. I kinda thought they were all lined up in a row (relatively speaking).

I'll hang up and listen.  

BS II is mucho closer to the water than Westwinds.  One year I filmed dolphins feeding on fish from our balcony.  You could look right down on top of them.  We had the wrap around unit in May and could hit the water with a rock.

We checked into Westwinds last night and there was one, 1 BR unit available.  It  was a nicer unit but just too far off the beach.  We'll be down there in October about the time you will and if we meet up I'll take you up in ours and show you the difference in the views and the view is one reason we enjoy BS II so much.

HuntinHog, need to go to the Boathouse Oyster Bar.  They got dollar bills plastered on the walls and ceilings PLUS....bras and panties!!!

Boarcephus

McKdaddy,

Just noticed you're in Tulsa. You make that drive in one day or spread it out over two days?   Too close to fly but it's 775 from our house to our condo and you're 100 miles west of us.  Got to be a killer drive if done in one day. 

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 29, 2009, 06:39:31 am
McKdaddy,

Just noticed you're in Tulsa. You make that drive in one day or spread it out over two days?   Too close to fly but it's 775 from our house to our condo and you're 100 miles west of us.  Got to be a killer drive if done in one day. 

We break it into 2 days Boar. My parents live in Monticello, Ar, so we'll stop there on the way to and from Destin.

DeltaBoy

I like Destin over Gulf Shores but I did have a whale of a time in Gulf Shores with a Bama Bell back in 1991.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Melhog

We booked a one bedroom condo at Sandestin for the first week in Oct this afternoon.  14th floor, helluva view and can't wait.   The great thing about Oct is you get a sunset out over the gulf and it's beautiful.  The weather is great, water is still warm, and the kids are in school.  Should be perfect.   Take a stroll down the beach and check out Jerry Jones home.  It's only about a half a mile from where we stay. Not too shabby a place.

All we need is to find another restaurant to try and we'll be set.  Harbor Docks for lunch a couple times, Ocean Club for dinner once, Boathouse Oyster bar a time or two, and believe it or not, Cheeseburger in Paradise is pretty darn good.   We're into eating out at lunch so that throws Louisiana Langniappe and the Red Bar out.  Anyone with a good idea we'd love to hear it.

Boar are all these restaurants you mentioned close to Sandestin. We stayed at Beachside II I think last and only time we've ever been to Destin. We went in Sept and it was very quiet which was nice, but we felt very isolated in Sandestin. Went to bayside a few times to the shopping area and ate at Acme Oyster house.  I guess we just were too unfamiliar with the area, but again just didn't know where to go.  We asked the security guy at the entrance about a good pizza place and all he came up with was "Pizza Hut". 

porkinsons disease

August 31, 2009, 06:16:31 pm #19 Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:19:12 pm by porkinsons disease
Quote from: Melhog on August 31, 2009, 10:46:45 am
Boar are all these restaurants you mentioned close to Sandestin. We stayed at Beachside II I think last and only time we've ever been to Destin. We went in Sept and it was very quiet which was nice, but we felt very isolated in Sandestin. Went to bayside a few times to the shopping area and ate at Acme Oyster house.  I guess we just were too unfamiliar with the area, but again just didn't know where to go.  We asked the security guy at the entrance about a good pizza place and all he came up with was "Pizza Hut". 
Best pizza in the area (although it's on Okaloosa Island) is HelenBack.Ciao Bella is pretty good too ( one is at Silver Sands).
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Boarcephus

Melhog,

Baytowne, where the Acme Oyster House is located, is pricey.  Harbor Docks and Boathouse Oyster Bar are back in downtown Destin which is about 10 miles from Sandestin.  Both are on Hwy 98 and worth trying for lunch.  Cheeseburger in Paradise is Buffett's place and located about a mile west from the Sandestin gate in the big outlet mall complex.  Ocean Club is located just a quarter mile east of the Sandestin gate at the entrance to Top Sail.  Louisiana Langniappe is back in the downtown area of Destin as well.  Great food but just a little too far out to eat dinner for us.  Generally by then we're in for the night and just hanging out looking at the sunset.

You mentioned feeling isolated in Sandestin, that's one of the main reasons we go there.  Just quiet.

tomahawkhog

We're going October 11th thru the 18th, going to catch the Hogs in Gainesville.  We're staying at the Beachside II in Sandestin...is the weather usually nice? 
Go Hogs!

arkhogball

Going to Destin in two weeks.  Been to all the beaches in the panhandle.  Destin is by far the best, and okaloosa island is second imo.

Boarcephus

September 01, 2009, 06:06:43 am #23 Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:39:42 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: tomahawkhog on August 31, 2009, 09:33:49 pm
We're going October 11th thru the 18th, going to catch the Hogs in Gainesville.  We're staying at the Beachside II in Sandestin...is the weather usually nice? 

We'll be there a week ahead of you.  The weather is generally drop dead perfect plus the sun sets out over the gulf that time of year.  Hope you have a condo with a westerly view. 

Is this the first time you've stayed at BS II?  This is our favorite place down there.  I'm sure there are newer and nicer places but none offer the close proximity to the water than BS II plus it just "feels" good where it is in comparison to what we like to do. 

While you're there, walk to the water and hang a left and walk about a mile to the east.  The last house on the left just before getting to the nature preserve is Jerry Jones digs.   Not a bad place.

Melhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 31, 2009, 06:26:37 pm
Melhog,

Baytowne, where the Acme Oyster House is located, is pricey.  Harbor Docks and Boathouse Oyster Bar are back in downtown Destin which is about 10 miles from Sandestin.  Both are on Hwy 98 and worth trying for lunch.  Cheeseburger in Paradise is Buffett's place and located about a mile west from the Sandestin gate in the big outlet mall complex.  Ocean Club is located just a quarter mile east of the Sandestin gate at the entrance to Top Sail.  Louisiana Langniappe is back in the downtown area of Destin as well.  Great food but just a little too far out to eat dinner for us.  Generally by then we're in for the night and just hanging out looking at the sunset.

You mentioned feeling isolated in Sandestin, that's one of the main reasons we go there.  Just quiet.

Thanks for the directions. We plan on going back next year and taking my two boys so it will be nice to have a few places to go to.  You're right about BSII...it is nice to be so close to the water. I just wish there were more restaurants that are within walking distance. 

tomahawkhog

Getting ready to head out next week after the Auburn game...can't wait for Florida!
Go Hogs!

2FNFST4U

I have been to all the beaches from Gulf Shores to Panama City and if you like no waves and deep sand they are all good.

If you like to have cooler water and waves to boogie board, surf, body surf then go to the east coast. Daytona is crowded but if you go across Ponce Inlet to New Smyrna Beach it has good wave action and the water stays in the low 80's all summer. Avoind the Inlet area as there are numerous shark bites every year there.

TouchdownRazrbcks

Navarre Beach...We stay with the same people every year..If you want, I can get you their Phone number...

Tripod1

Quote from: TouchdownRazrbcks on November 05, 2009, 04:00:28 pm
Navarre Beach...We stay with the same people every year..If you want, I can get you their Phone number...
Navarre is nice.  we have been going there for the past 7-8 years.  Never very crowded and just a nice place to do nothing.

proud2bpork

If all you care to do is hang on the beach with your kids (like me), go to Gulf Shores.

Been going for a long time and don't miss Destin.

later.  proud

centertonhog

Quote from: HuntinHog on July 28, 2009, 08:40:07 am
Marina Cafe, it's my favorite place down there.  Get there early enough to eat with the old people and it's two for one like the Ocean Club.

Also for lunch one day go to McGuires.

Our Favorite is "the back porch"...

YepItsMe

Does Westwinds have a website?  Not having luck finding one.

Boarcephus

February 27, 2010, 06:20:24 am #32 Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:22:24 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: YepItsMe on February 26, 2010, 04:40:26 pm
Does Westwinds have a website?  Not having luck finding one.

Here's a little info on Westwinds.   It's fairly new, it's plush but set's a little further off the beach than we like.

This website is from Gibson Beach Rentals.  They have Westwinds and several other condos  at Sandestin.  You can navigate from there.  Shows pics of the inside of the unit, prices, availability, the view and also what floor it's on.

http://gibsonbeachrentals.com/browse/units/westwinds.html

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Destin is nice, but the traffic is like Branson.... :puke:

Look for areas between Sandestin and the Beaches of South Walton.  Hwy 30A is the best.

Beaches are the best on the Gulf and less crowded than either Destin or Panama City Beach.

Give me a PM and I'll hook you up with a super Charter Fishing Trip.... 8)
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

Shag66

Quote from: kingfish0318 on March 21, 2010, 01:34:44 pm

Look for areas between Sandestin and the Beaches of South Walton.  Hwy 30A is the best.

Beaches are the best on the Gulf and less crowded than either Destin or Panama City Beach.

Give me a PM and I'll hook you up with a super Charter Fishing Trip.... 8)

Nice first post!  Smart man to stay out of MMQB and JB...  Read in there for a while before jumping into the slugfest!

It always pays to have someone who can get us a boat chartered!

Boarcephus

Quote from: kingfish0318 on March 21, 2010, 01:34:44 pm

Depends on when you go.  We head out late April and traffic is fine.  Now in the middle of the summer, you're right.  Couldn't pay me to go there.  Hotter than hell and traffic is bumper to bumper.

Reservations are made, headed to Sandestin once again.  Got a condo on the 11th floor right on the gulf.  Can't wait.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 21, 2010, 02:08:24 pm
Depends on when you go.  We head out late April and traffic is fine.  Now in the middle of the summer, you're right.  Couldn't pay me to go there.  Hotter than hell and traffic is bumper to bumper.

Reservations are made, headed to Sandestin once again.  Got a condo on the 11th floor right on the gulf.  Can't wait.

Great time of the year to visit.  The Panhandle is super Mid-April/Mid-May and then again in October.... Sandestin is great and the beaches are in good shape right now.  If you get over to 30A during lunch time, stop by Stinkey's for the best Poor Boy's this side of Baton Rouge....

Holler' if you have any questions on the area!  kingfish0318@embarqmail.com

"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

H&D

Bellissimo for anything Italian, it's in Fort Walton Beach, just off the Island on Eglin Parkway, or Mama Rosa's in Niceville and Fort Walton on Beal Parkway by the golf course.  There was a really good Italian Shop at the outlet mall in Sand Destin, it is/was in one of the corner shops.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Boarcephus

Quote from: kingfish0318 on March 22, 2010, 03:02:48 pm
Great time of the year to visit.  The Panhandle is super Mid-April/Mid-May and then again in October.... Sandestin is great and the beaches are in good shape right now.  If you get over to 30A during lunch time, stop by Stinkey's for the best Poor Boy's this side of Baton Rouge....

Holler' if you have any questions on the area!  kingfish0318@embarqmail.com

The last couple years we've made both April and October.  Love it. 

BTW, where's Stinky's?

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

From Sandestin go east on Hwy 98 about 5-6 miles to Hwy 30-A.  Turn Right on 30-A and go about 2 miles.  Stinkey's is on the Left. 

If you are familiar with 30-A, it is about where Ft. Paine is located and about a 1/2 mile west of the Santa Rosa Beach Country Club.  Easy to find.

Boarcephus

March 22, 2010, 05:10:33 pm #40 Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:16:14 pm by Boarcephus
Quote from: kingfish0318 on March 22, 2010, 05:02:46 pm
From Sandestin go east on Hwy 98 about 5-6 miles to Hwy 30-A.  Turn Right on 30-A and go about 2 miles.  Stinkey's is on the Left. 

If you are familiar with 30-A, it is about where Ft. Paine is located and about a 1/2 mile west of the Santa Rosa Beach Country Club.  Easy to find.

Thanks, I know about where it is.   Is that Stinky's Fish Camp?  Been trying to find out about it.  Sounds like a dive but I love dives.   Been going to the Boathouse Oyster Bar in downtown Destin for my Oyster Poor Boys but I'm always open for trying something new

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 22, 2010, 05:10:33 pm
Thanks, I know about where it is.   Is that Stinky's Fish Camp?  Been trying to find out about it.  Sounds like a dive but I love dives.   Been going to the Boathouse Oyster Bar in downtown Destin for my Oyster Poor Boys but I'm always open for trying something new

That is correct.  Does sound like a dive, but it isn't.  Very nice exterior and clean interior.  The owners relocated from LA after Katrina.  Try the crawfish pie as well....

H&D

Quote from: kingfish0318 on March 23, 2010, 11:04:09 am
That is correct.  Does sound like a dive, but it isn't.  Very nice exterior and clean interior.  The owners relocated from LA after Katrina.  Try the crawfish pie as well....

If they have Crawfish Etouffee it is a must try Cajun dish, you won't be sorry.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hawg Balling

Seaside, near Destin.  Rent a house.  Best domestic beach vacation you'll take.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Seaside is very crowded from April-September. 

You are correct about 30-A though.  The best beaches on the Gulf.

My recommendation would be to look at Dune Allen, Blue Mountain Beach, Grayton Beach, Watercolor, Seagrove (Watercolor and Seagrove are on each side of Seaside) and if you have big bucks, check out Rosemary Beach.

Seaside is beautiful, but has very narrow streets making travel challenging.  On a positive for them, do check out the restaurant Bud and Alley's.  Super GOM view.

Go to www.sowal.com for great information on Hwy 30-A 8)

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: kingfish0318 on March 31, 2010, 07:57:01 am
Seaside is very crowded from April-September. 

You are correct about 30-A though.  The best beaches on the Gulf.

My recommendation would be to look at Dune Allen, Blue Mountain Beach, Grayton Beach, Watercolor, Seagrove (Watercolor and Seagrove are on each side of Seaside) and if you have big bucks, check out Rosemary Beach.

Seaside is beautiful, but has very narrow streets making travel challenging.  On a positive for them, do check out the restaurant Bud and Alley's.  Super GOM view.

Go to www.sowal.com for great information on Hwy 30-A 8)

You seem like you know what you're talking about.

Where, in your opinion, is the best bang for the buck?  What area offers the best combination of reasonable cost, good beaches and easy beach access?

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on March 31, 2010, 01:05:22 pm
You seem like you know what you're talking about.

Where, in your opinion, is the best bang for the buck?  What area offers the best combination of reasonable cost, good beaches and easy beach access?

I should.  I live on Hwy 30-A in Blue Mountain Beach (BMB) ;)

1. All 18 miles of 30-A have superb beaches with several public access points.  They have lifeguards at several of the locations as well.
2. Cost varies on if you want beach front or not.  A lot higher on the beach in the summer.  If it isn't important for you to wake up and look at the water, then I would look at property across from the beach.  There are several options that are within walking distance to the beach.
3. There are several excellent restaurants and gift type shops on 30-A.  Several have bands at night, but aren't "big" nightclubs.  Red Bar in Grayton Beach is classic.

Check out the link and it will help you.  Also, you can go to the forum under rentals and list what you are looking for and have several agencies sending you their available properties.

I can be reached at kingfish0318@embarqmail.com should anyone have more questions...