Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawaii

Started by BA Hogwild, February 19, 2009, 12:26:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BA Hogwild

Wife now wants to go to Hawaii instead of Jamaica.

Whose been? Sites?

Here is want we have on tap. Maybe stay at Turtle Bay. Visit Pearl Harbor. Helicopter ride around the island.
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Jayhawg

Been both places.  You've married a smart woman.

Haunama (sp) Bay - North Shore - Poly Cultural Center

There are cruises to other islands etc.

Have fun.

WPS

usnavyhogfan

i lived there for a few years. lots to see and do. definitely go to hanauma bay, polynesian cultural center. north shore. there is a super ferry there now and you can ride it to maui for fairly cheap.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

HognotinMemphis

Go to the Big Island. More to see and do there than on all the other islands combined. Volcano, snow-capped mountain with awesome observatories on top, lava fields as far as the eye can see, giant crater with smoke rising from it near the volcanoe, rain forest, largest ranch in the world, best beaches in the world on Kona side, very scenic north half of the island. Incredible view at Waipio Valley, old sugar plantations. I've ridden in a kayak-like boat down old irrigation ditches at one old sugar plantation in north part of Big Island. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1090426287033937635oBmdHe

Not my photos but all i could find in a quick Google search. See this guys other photos for shots of Waipio Valley (good horseback riding down there...a road that is at about a 35 degree slope is only way to get down there...4 wheel drive is only way down.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 25, 2009, 08:49:34 am
Go to the Big Island. More to see and do there than on all the other islands combined. Volcano, snow-capped mountain with awesome observatories on top, lava fields as far as the eye can see, giant crater with smoke rising from it near the volcanoe, rain forest, largest ranch in the world, best beaches in the world on Kona side, very scenic north half of the island.

Have to agree.  Spent a week at the Mauna Lani and fell in love with the island.  Could just spend hours looking up at the lava fields.  The rain forest was great and I could only imagine how well I'd sleep at night in a house with a tin roof.  Doubt if we go back but if we did, believe I'd stay there again.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 27, 2009, 07:32:50 pm
Have to agree.  Spent a week at the Mauna Lani and fell in love with the island.  Could just spend hours looking up at the lava fields.  The rain forest was great and I could only imagine how well I'd sleep at night in a house with a tin roof.  Doubt if we go back but if we did, believe I'd stay there again.
I've been to the Big Island 8 or 9 times...most recently in April of 2004. We have always stayed at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. It's another 15 or 20 min north of the Mauna Lani. Very similar in all respects other than the beach... Mauna Kea's beach puts the Mauna Lani's to shame, if you can even call what the Mauna Lani has a beach. The Mauna Kea just re-opened in Dec after being closed for 2 years for renovation after earthquake damage in Dec of '06. They raised their prices by a large margin...doubt they'll get those prices in this economy regardless of all the upgrades they made.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Boarcephus

February 28, 2009, 06:50:38 pm #6 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:11:10 pm by Boarcephus
We'd never been to the big island but went there in 2005.  No question if you're going there for the beach you'll be disappointed but we didn't really have a clue where to go.  One of the doctors we work with said we'd love it there and he was right. 

You ever been to the south Pacific?  We've toyed with the idea of going to Bora Bora for 20 years but have never pulled the trigger.  Something about a 15-20 plane ride sort of stands in the way.  We may finally do it later on this year.  Not getting any younger and would like to make the trip while we still feel good.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 28, 2009, 06:50:38 pm
We'd never been to the big island but went there in 2005.  No question if you're going there for the beach you'll be disappointed but we didn't really have a clue where to go.  One of the doctors we work with said we'd love it there and he was right. 

You ever been to the south Pacific?  We've toyed with the idea of going to Bora Bora for 20 years but have never pulled the trigger.  Something about a 15-20 plane ride sort of stands in the way.  We may finally do it later on this year.  Not getting any younger and would like to make the trip while we still feel good.
No, never been but like you, we have always wanted to go to Tahiti and/or Bora Bora. I think you do that trip as part and parcel of a long (and expensive) trip with stops along the way so that your plane ride is not 20 hours. Stay a few days in L.A. at Chateau Marmont or the Beverly Hilton. Then on to the Big Island, staying at the Mauna Kea for 5 or 6 days. Then make your way to Bora Bora from there. Maybe even work in New Zealand.

Boarcephus

We're not really into the staying a few days in LA and then on to the Big Island for a few more then off to Tahiti to wrap it up.  If we go, we'll bite the bullet and get there the quickest way we can and spend our time there.

I think what we're going to do is to throw something together on the spur of the moment.  We have the time set aside in October and like you say, the economy could make for some great, last minute deals.  A nice all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean will run in the $6-7k range for a week and I bet we can get to Tahiti for not just a lot more. 

Lando Calrissian

Headed to Oahu in May.

First time.

Can't wait.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 01, 2009, 10:14:23 am
Headed to Oahu in May.

First time.

Can't wait.

The first time there is magical.  Enjoy.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 01, 2009, 09:05:52 am
We're not really into the staying a few days in LA and then on to the Big Island for a few more then off to Tahiti to wrap it up.  If we go, we'll bite the bullet and get there the quickest way we can and spend our time there.

I think what we're going to do is to throw something together on the spur of the moment.  We have the time set aside in October and like you say, the economy could make for some great, last minute deals.  A nice all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean will run in the $6-7k range for a week and I bet we can get to Tahiti for not just a lot more.
Given the global economy, I bet you are correct about being able to do a very nice trip to Tahiti for around $6 to $7K. If you like cruising, another option would be to take a 7 to 9 night cruise on a Silversea ship. Very small, all inclusive (no tipping, ALL alcohol included) and VERY luxurious. We just took our 2nd cruise with them in November out of L.A. down the Mexican riviera. Wonderful. 9 nights and paid $6600. Drank Perrier-Jouet and Pommery champagnes all day and had single malt scotch supplied in my room 24/7. I never left the ship even though we stopped in 5 ports. They have some great deals now. 380 passengers max and a little over 300 crew. Italian ship...they know how to do it properly. Cabin had full tub, separate shower, his and her sinks, teak balcony, and about 250 sq. feet. www.silversea.com.

BA Hogwild

Headed to Oahu in May.

First time.

Can't wait.

Wife pulled the trigger and we are staying at Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu. We have planed a helicopter ride, polynesian cultural center, pearl harbor and shark diving. We leave in June
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BA Hogwild on March 01, 2009, 12:02:05 pm
Wife pulled the trigger and we are staying at Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu. We have planed a helicopter ride, polynesian cultural center, pearl harbor and shark diving. We leave in June
Helicopter ride and shark diving. Don't tell your health and/or life insurance carriers about this trip. They will revoke your coverage while you are there, seriously.

By the way, check out the copter crashes they've had in Hawaii. Make sure the company you are using isn't one of the ones that have had fatal crashes. Ha, "fatal crashes", how redundant.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 01, 2009, 11:54:32 am
Given the global economy, I bet you are correct about being able to do a very nice trip to Tahiti for around $6 to $7K. If you like cruising, another option would be to take a 7 to 9 night cruise on a Silversea ship. Very small, all inclusive (no tipping, ALL alcohol included) and VERY luxurious. We just took our 2nd cruise with them in November out of L.A. down the Mexican riviera. Wonderful. 9 nights and paid $6600. Drank Perrier-Jouet and Pommery champagnes all day and had single malt scotch supplied in my room 24/7. I never left the ship even though we stopped in 5 ports. They have some great deals now. 380 passengers max and a little over 300 crew. Italian ship...they know how to do it properly. Cabin had full tub, separate shower, his and her sinks, teak balcony, and about 250 sq. feet. www.silversea.com.

That's a thought.  We've taken several cruises but none in the last 5 or 6 years but we've talked about putting together another one. The next trip we take will be of the all-inclusive type and this certainly falls in line with that.

The trip we take in October will be one of pure spontaneity.  Might be a cruise, might be Tahiti, but it'll be some place we wake up one morning and say, "Hey, let's go ......." cut the deal and be gone within a week or so.  Good position to be in. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 01, 2009, 01:15:56 pm
That's a thought.  We've taken several cruises but none in the last 5 or 6 years but we've talked about putting together another one. The next trip we take will be of the all-inclusive type and this certainly falls in line with that.

The trip we take in October will be one of pure spontaneity.  Might be a cruise, might be Tahiti, but it'll be some place we wake up one morning and say, "Hey, let's go ......." cut the deal and be gone within a week or so.  Good position to be in.
Yes it is. And cruises are great things to pick up at the last minute. If a Silversea ship has a vacant cabin at the last minute, you can get them at 60% to 70% off. A $12,000 cruise for 2 is priced at $4,000 or so. Hell of a deal for 9 nights on a Silversea ship for two people, no matter what part of world it is sailing in.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 01, 2009, 06:12:56 pm
Yes it is. And cruises are great things to pick up at the last minute. If a Silversea ship has a vacant cabin at the last minute, you can get them at 60% to 70% off. A $12,000 cruise for 2 is priced at $4,000 or so. Hell of a deal for 9 nights on a Silversea ship for two people, no matter what part of world it is sailing in.

You've certainly piqued my interest in this cruise line.  The drawback to the newer megaliners is that you're never really alone.  3000 people on a ship (plus crew) is too darned many.   I like the fact it's all inclusive, including the booze and it's a smaller ship.

Definitely something we'll keep in mind and if not this time, then certainly at a later date. 

This will be like no other trip we've ever taken.  This will be a trip where we wake up one morning, look at each other and say, "where do you want to go next week?".  Cut the deal, throw some clothes in a suitcase and head out.  What we forgot, we'll pick up when we get there.  Can't wait .   

WichitaStateRazorback

Headed to Oahu in May.

First time.

Can't wait.
Im headed to Maui in May...in what part of may r u going

Lando Calrissian

End of May/Beginning of June.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 09, 2009, 02:23:55 am
End of May/Beginning of June.
im headed down may 18 for my honeymoon

PigRedMachine

Quote from: BA Hogwild on March 01, 2009, 12:02:05 pm

Wow. We also are planning on Turtle Bay in June.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on March 09, 2009, 02:11:54 pm
im headed down may 18 for my honeymoon

Hah.  I'll be there 2 weeks later (for the same thing).

BA Hogwild

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 15, 2009, 12:02:10 pm
Hah.  I'll be there 2 weeks later (for the same thing).

Then 2 wks after you for my 10yr

LamarMundane

I think you chose wisely for a first timer. Oahu has most of the 'famous' sights of Hawaii: Waikiki, Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, and the famous North Shore surfing spots like Pipeline. Be sure to find 'Gilligan's Island' on the north shore too...the little island used to film the closing credits of the show. I think the name of it is Coconut Island. Dole Plantation is interesting too.