Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Branson

Started by BA Hogwild, November 12, 2008, 03:32:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BA Hogwild

Going the day after Thanksgiving. Haven't been in 10 yrs. I know it will be packed but any suggestions? Eating? Shows?Shops for the wives? We are going to Silver $ City also.
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

earlenehawg

Lots of places to eat at Branson Landing.

Hogimus Prime

the Shorty Small's at the Landing is better than the Shorty Smalls across town.

the Outback there sucks.

The Dixie Stampede is cool.

The Outlet Malls will be full of old people.  The Landing normal people.

BA Hogwild

The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 12, 2008, 04:16:08 pm
That Outback is terrible. They don't even have Alice Springs Chicken !  >:(

Dixie Stampede is good too

Old people everywhere in Branson.

yeah i dont like the big fat dude that was the bartender at the Outback Pub

yeah true about the old people but that outlet mall was crazy.  every bench had a old person sitting there.

Racinray

It will be packed, made the mistake several years ago.

hoghelmet14

The best place to eat is up the road aways at Lamberts "home of the throwed rolls" in Ozark MO... about 30 mins north of Branson.... worth the drive and the wait.

also... if you happen to be a fan of Little House on the Praire... Laura Ingalls Wilders home and grave site is further north and then east at Mansfield MO... kinda cool.... her cabinets were on the floor... she was a little over 4 feet tall!

Just a trivia thingie.
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

ogar_hog

Eating have to go to Montana Mike's...by far my favorite resturant in Branson.  The one on 76 is good, but the one on 248 is better.  Also on 248 there is a place called Culvers, fast food only better.

And during my families yearly trek up there to see all the lights we always stop by IHOP on our way back from SDC.  Nothing like pancakes at 8:00 at night after you've been standing out in the cold for several hours.

Ball Hawg

Good idea doing Silver Dollar City...great fun and shows this time of year, especially for the kids.

Branson Landing is a pretty cool place as well.

SteveInArk

November 16, 2008, 10:13:04 pm #9 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:20:35 pm by SteveInArk
Ditto all of the above.  We live 55 minutes from Branson and go often when family in town and want to go.  Get a map, with all the shops, restaurants, etc. info...

But mainly get it for the "bypass" roads around town. For instance, the "Red/Yellow" routes will get you from one end to the other, without going up/down Route 76 (the strip).  With a map, use sidestreets and try to minimize your time on Rt 76.  One big slow-moving parking lot!  Horrible traffic almost constantly.

Here is just one of the on-line printable versions, till you get there and get real ones.  Google has others: 
http://www.bransonfamilyvalues.com/map.asp
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Lando Calrissian

When I go to Branson, I go to Silver Dollar City (have season passes) then I go get DRUNK.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hunterhog11

Branson Landing is pretty neat
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes."

DizzyHawgFan

The Branson "Outback Steak & Oyster Bar" is not part of the chain Outback Steak House.  How they've gotten away with using a name so similar for so long I don't know.  It must pre-date the national chain.  It was good last time I went there, but if you are going thinking it is the same as the chain then you will probably be disappointed. 

Honestly I'd just as soon eat a big bowl of succotash at Silver Dollar City, then if you are still hungry (I doubt you will be) walk down another stand or 2 and get a big bowl of calico potatoes. 

Whoever said to learn the alternate routes is right on.  Stay off that god forsaken strip. 

hoghelmet14

If your going to see Christmas ligths as well... the drive over to Kimberling City is worth it...
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

Lando Calrissian

When I go to Branson, I go to Silver Dollar City...then I get DRUNK.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

BA Hogwild

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on November 20, 2008, 02:43:23 am
When I go to Branson, I go to Silver Dollar City...then I get DRUNK.

That is on the check list.

Melhog

Quote from: DizzyHawgFan on November 17, 2008, 02:42:20 pm
The Branson "Outback Steak & Oyster Bar" is not part of the chain Outback Steak House.  How they've gotten away with using a name so similar for so long I don't know.  It must pre-date the national chain.  It was good last time I went there, but if you are going thinking it is the same as the chain then you will probably be disappointed. 

Honestly I'd just as soon eat a big bowl of succotash at Silver Dollar City, then if you are still hungry (I doubt you will be) walk down another stand or 2 and get a big bowl of calico potatoes. 

Whoever said to learn the alternate routes is right on.  Stay off that god forsaken strip. 

I used to live there and that's the story as I know it. The one in Branson was there first. I think OUtback chain even sued them and lost.

There's a good Mexican Place on the Landing too.  Cool place and good food. Its sort of "gourmet" mexican. They make guacamole tableside.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Melhog on November 20, 2008, 03:28:25 pm
I used to live there and that's the story as I know it. The one in Branson was there first. I think OUtback chain even sued them and lost.

There's a good Mexican Place on the Landing too.  Cool place and good food. Its sort of "gourmet" mexican. They make guacamole tableside.

The Mexican place is Cantina Laredo.  It is very good but also quite expensive.  Their tableside guacamole "is to die for" (so say my daughters).  A Cantina Laredo just opened recently in Little Rock but haven't been to this one yet.   

We just got back from Branson and really enjoyed the Andy Williams Christmas Show.  Andy Williams is 81 and we were really impressed at how well the 'old' guy can still sing.  We were also impressed that he was on stage for almost 80-90% of his almost 2 hr show.

It's been mentioned here before but one of my fav eating places in Branson is Mr. G's Pizza.  We ate there again this time and as always it was delicious.  Also ate at an Italian place called Tony Z's for the 1st time.  It was also a little pricey but very good.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

SteveInArk

Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 20, 2008, 09:40:17 pm
The Mexican place is Cantina Laredo.  It is very good but also quite expensive.  Their tableside guacamole "is to die for" (so say my daughters).  A Cantina Laredo just opened recently in Little Rock but haven't been to this one yet.   

We just got back from Branson and really enjoyed the Andy Williams Christmas Show.  Andy Williams is 81 and we were really impressed at how well the 'old' guy can still sing.  We were also impressed that he was on stage for almost 80-90% of his almost 2 hr show.

It's been mentioned here before but one of my fav eating places in Branson is Mr. G's Pizza.  We ate there again this time and as always it was delicious.  Also ate at an Italian place called Tony Z's for the 1st time.  It was also a little pricey but very good.

Was there for a few days last week, back on Saturday.  Also ate at Tony Z's for the first time.  It was VERY good...  the Ceasar Salad made at the table was as good as I have ever had...  and we lived in the Philly area for 18 years where Italian food is a way of life... 

I plan to try the pizza place you recommend, next trip.  Thanks.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Melhog

November 21, 2008, 09:18:46 am #19 Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:21:36 am by Melhog
Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 20, 2008, 09:40:17 pm

Mr. G's is very good pizza if you can stand the "atmosphere". Its a total dive, but again the pie is very good.  If Top of the Rock is open (apparently they had a fire not long ago) that is very good food and great views. Its on 65 as you come into town just south of Branson. Its owned by Big Cedar. 

WHere is Tony Z's?? 

SteveInArk

Quote from: Melhog on November 21, 2008, 09:18:46 am
Mr. G's is very good pizza if you can stand the "atmosphere". Its a total dive, but again the pie is very good.  If Top of the Rock is open (apparently they had a fire not long ago) that is very good food and great views. Its on 65 as you come into town just south of Branson. Its owned by Big Cedar. 

WHere is Tony Z's?? 

Tony Z's is in the lot/area of the Welk Theater, south on Falls Creek Road, on the right, heading towards the dam.  Quite a large place, with a big lounge/bar.  Nice dining experience also.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Melhog on November 21, 2008, 09:18:46 am

WHere is Tony Z's?? 

The atmosphere that Melhog is talking about is that Mr. G's is a beer bar\pizza place mostly for the locals.  The place is always smoky so we ordered our pizzas to go this time and took them back to the condo.  Their sausage is some of the best I've ever had on a pizza.  Simply delcious.

Also, as Steve said, Tony Z's is worth a stop.  Very good food  and good service.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Melhog

Quote from: SteveInArk on November 21, 2008, 09:29:20 am
Tony Z's is in the lot/area of the Welk Theater, south on Falls Creek Road, on the right, heading towards the dam.  Quite a large place, with a big lounge/bar.  Nice dining experience also.
Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 21, 2008, 09:48:20 am
The atmosphere that Melhog is talking about is that Mr. G's is a beer bar\pizza place mostly for the locals.  The place is always smoky so we ordered our pizzas to go this time and took them back to the condo.  Their sausage is some of the best I've ever had on a pizza.  Simply delcious.

Also, as Steve said, Tony Z's is worth a stop.  Very good food  and good service.

Thanks had not heard about Tony Z's.  And to reiterate Mr. G's is excellent, but get it to go definitely. 

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Cooper on November 12, 2008, 03:51:26 pm
Pick me up some Bose speakers at the outlet mall, please.

Oh yeah, the Bose outlet closed a couple of years ago.  Besides, Bose ain't worth the money, even at an outlet place.

HognotinMemphis

Old people better than a bunch of wild kids and teens in FUBU shirts with their shorts hanging out and tattoos and body piercings everywhere.

Have dinner one night at Big Cedar Lodge just 5 minutes south of Branson. One of the most beautiful places you'll see anywhere.

There is a very good restuarant called Buckingham's at the Clarion hotel next to the Palace Theatre on the main drag, Hwy 76. http://www.clarionhotelbranson.com/restaurants.asp?menu=buckinghams

I don't know of a better quality restuarant than Buckingham's in the entire area other than Worman's at Big Cedar Lodge. Neither of these are cheap though...expect to spend at least $50/person for 3 courses, after tip and tax.

The new area (the Landing) in old downtown Branson is a must see...check out the water and fire show along the river that goes off every 15 minutes. And don't miss the five and dime store near there...you'll think you are back in the late '60's again, a la the old Ben Franklin stores.

Silver Dollar City will be great this time of year. I'm sure they'll have their Christmas lights up now. It's beautiful there once nightfall hits.

Hard to go wrong with most any show there. I've seen them all at one time or another...Osmond's, Jim Stafford, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Ray Stevens, Shoji Tabuchi, Kirby Vanbirch (magic show), and others I cannot recall. I know some of these people are not there anymore.

Have fun.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bao187

My dad runs a camp ground in Branson, i get to travel there and enjoy the food quite a bit through out the year, my fave eats are Starvin Marvins and Lamberts, i don't watch many of the shows so no help there, oh yeah do not eat the big skillet stir fry stuff at silver dollar city, the one with okra is horrible, and thats my fave veggie, the okra is hard and stringy
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

McKdaddy

Love Big Cedar Lodge, our choice for our annual Branson trip.  HIM is correct that it is a beautiful locale.  We usually go between Thanksgiving and Christmas--Branson is wonderfully decorated this time of year.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Hawgnoxious

Getcha some Marble Slab ice cream when you're at the Landing.  The service there is terribly slow, but the cream is great. 
I'm Hawgnoxious, and I approve this message.

bao187

Quote from: Hawgnoxious on November 22, 2008, 02:32:15 pm
Getcha some Marble Slab ice cream when you're at the Landing.  The service there is terribly slow, but the cream is great. 

oh yeah, we have a marble slab in ft smith, great ice cream.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Melhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 22, 2008, 10:30:21 am
Old people better than a bunch of wild kids and teens in FUBU shirts with their shorts hanging out and tattoos and body piercings everywhere.

Have dinner one night at Big Cedar Lodge just 5 minutes south of Branson. One of the most beautiful places you'll see anywhere.

There is a very good restuarant called Buckingham's at the Clarion hotel next to the Palace Theatre on the main drag, Hwy 76. http://www.clarionhotelbranson.com/restaurants.asp?menu=buckinghams

I don't know of a better quality restuarant than Buckingham's in the entire area other than Worman's at Big Cedar Lodge. Neither of these are cheap though...expect to spend at least $50/person for 3 courses, after tip and tax.

The new area (the Landing) in old downtown Branson is a must see...check out the water and fire show along the river that goes off every 15 minutes. And don't miss the five and dime store near there...you'll think you are back in the late '60's again, a la the old Ben Franklin stores.

Silver Dollar City will be great this time of year. I'm sure they'll have their Christmas lights up now. It's beautiful there once nightfall hits.

Hard to go wrong with most any show there. I've seen them all at one time or another...Osmond's, Jim Stafford, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Ray Stevens, Shoji Tabuchi, Kirby Vanbirch (magic show), and others I cannot recall. I know some of these people are not there anymore.

Have fun.

Absolutely on Buckingham's. Its expensive, but one of the better steaks you'll have. 

BR

The Landing is awesome, They have some great golf there right now! Branson Creek is one hell of a golf course! We spend 4-5 nights in October every year at Thousand Hill's Resort and really like it!!
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 22, 2008, 10:30:21 am

Have fun.

Ditto.

But you left out the part about getting drunk. 

DizzyHawgFan

Quote from: bao187 on November 22, 2008, 10:54:42 am
do not eat the big skillet stir fry stuff at silver dollar city, the one with okra is horrible, and thats my fave veggie, the okra is hard and stringy

Why I oughta...

I've had that every time I've ever been to SDC and it has always been awesome.   

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: DizzyHawgFan on December 01, 2008, 03:14:48 pm
Why I oughta...

I've had that every time I've ever been to SDC and it has always been awesome.   

Ditto.

But you left out the part about getting drunk.

Milton

The best show isn't there anymore, Rey Stevens
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 04, 2008, 08:48:25 am
Stevens was great. The worst show I ever saw in Branson was back in about 1994 with Wayne Newton. I was with my ex and my parents. I was bored to death. We had beer in an ice chest out in the van and I knew the Cardinals were on the radio so I went out before intermission and listened to the Cards game and drank beer. About 15 mins after I left here came my dad to join me while our wives stayed and watched the boring Wayne Newton.
That's one show I never saw. Newton didn't last that long up there, did he?

I loved Ray Stevens' show too. I was surprised when he left his theatre as it was always full.

Kirby Vanburch magician show is pretty entertaining if anyone has not seen it before.

Another quality entertainer who is sometimes there with Andy Williams and others is Glen Campbell. If you ever get a chance to see him, it's well worth it. Besides, he's an Arkansas boy.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.