Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going to Hawaii in July

Started by atuHOG, February 28, 2008, 10:10:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

atuHOG

Spending 4 days on Waikiki Beach in Oahu, and then 5 days on Maui.  This will be the first time in Hawaii for both me and my girlfriend.  Do you guys have any thoughts on what to do while we're there?  I've been looking at many sight seeing tours, sunset cruises, snorkeling trips, and luau's.  Anyone care to share some suggestions?  Thanks!

BR

On the Island of Oahu, these are a must. Lived there 3 years and go by every year for Jimmy Buffet Concert.. Google these and check them out.. Have a great trip...

Use Trip Advisor to get some great reviews on things...

Swap meet at the Football Stadium (2 Days a week, get all your tourist stuff here)
Sam's Club (Buy Beer for road trips and room)

Diamond Head
Hanauma Bay
Pipeline
Turtle Bay (Great Golf Course and Beach)
Sunset Beach North Shore
Pupukea Beach Park
Sharks Cove
Shave Ice at Aoki's or Matsamoto's
Waimea Park
Waimea Bay
Polynesian Cultural Center
Pearl Harbor
Sea Life Park
Waimea Falls Park:
Zippy's
U.S.S. Arizona Memorial
International Market Place
Nuuanu Pali State park (Plai Lookout)

The Shrimp trucks that you'll find after passing the Turtle Bay Resort. Best shrimp is at Romy's. – Ate the Garlic shrimp here. This is very delicious. They catch their shrimp from their shrimp farm that you can see while you sit on their benches and eat.

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

atuHOG

Thanks man!  I'll check into this list.  And thanks for the info about Trip Advisor.  That's a great site!

CaseyHawgDog

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."<br />- John Wayne

PIGINAPOKE

There is a cool little bar down the street from the Inter market place on the same street as Mc Donalds. It is called the Crows nest. Upstairs.Cheap beer and a cool place. Stay away from Hotel st.

The Ariz memorial is a no miss. Have not been to Maui in years. Hear it has boomed.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Lanny

Red and I are taking a 12 day cruise in Hawaii in May.  My 2nd trip to the Island
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

SteveInArk

March 02, 2008, 10:06:30 pm #6 Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:14:18 pm by SteveInArk
Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on March 01, 2008, 06:36:46 am
There is a cool little bar down the street from the Inter market place on the same street as Mc Donalds. It is called the Crows nest. Upstairs.Cheap beer and a cool place. Stay away from Hotel st.

The Ariz memorial is a no miss. Have not been to Maui in years. Hear it has boomed.

PIG, are you younger (and talking from recent trips), or old like me?   ;)

Because I haven't been to the Crow's Nest since the early 80's....  was a regular hangout for lots of the MAC aircrews (USAF).  Hadn't thought of the place in years.  Was always a low key place with a couple of guitar players for music and cheap prices...  We had a regular circuit of places to hit while at Hickam AFB for a longer layover and the time to go down to Waikiki, and that bar was one of them.   :)

(post-USAF days, have been there on vacation three times in recent years, so ...)
Back to the thread subject, the central Waikiki part of Honolulu is great for nights.  And with care, you don't have to break the bank.  Be sure to hit the North shore one day... if lucky, there might even be big waves, though the chance of that diminishes after about April until the Fall.  East shore is a must see also, and you can do it in part of a day driving over the mountains east out of Honolulu.  Easy drive and  different world over there.  Return via a circuit along the southeast coast, by Hanauma Bay, then back in by Diamond Head.  It is a now a nature reserve (beach is packed on weekends) and not the same as when they filmed the start of Blue Hawaii there.   ;)  http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/facility/hanaumabay/welcome.htm

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

atuHOG

Quote from: CaseyHawgDog on February 29, 2008, 06:11:40 pm
what hotel on Maui
We're staying at the Mahana while on Maui and the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach in Oahu.

Thanks for the tips guys!  I'm looking into all of them!

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: SteveInArk on March 02, 2008, 10:06:30 pm
PIG, are you younger (and talking from recent trips), or old like me?   ;)

Because I haven't been to the Crow's Nest since the early 80's....  was a regular hangout for lots of the MAC aircrews (USAF).  Hadn't thought of the place in years.  Was always a low key place with a couple of guitar players for music and cheap prices...  We had a regular circuit of places to hit while at Hickam AFB for a longer layover and the time to go down to Waikiki, and that bar was one of them.   :)

(post-USAF days, have been there on vacation three times in recent years, so ...)
Back to the thread subject, the central Waikiki part of Honolulu is great for nights.  And with care, you don't have to break the bank.  Be sure to hit the North shore one day... if lucky, there might even be big waves, though the chance of that diminishes after about April until the Fall.  East shore is a must see also, and you can do it in part of a day driving over the mountains east out of Honolulu.  Easy drive and  different world over there.  Return via a circuit along the southeast coast, by Hanauma Bay, then back in by Diamond Head.  It is a now a nature reserve (beach is packed on weekends) and not the same as when they filmed the start of Blue Hawaii there.   ;)  http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/facility/hanaumabay/welcome.htm

I went there in the Navy. 70.s But went back in 80 somethin and it was there. Peanut shells on the floor if I remember. It was a cool spot
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

SteveInArk

Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on March 03, 2008, 01:17:04 pm
I went there in the Navy. 70.s But went back in 80 somethin and it was there. Peanut shells on the floor if I remember. It was a cool spot
I thought so!   ;)
I started going there in 70's also, passing thru on airlift missions (C-5) to SEA and Phillipines.  Yes, peanut shells and all...  didn't check it during vacations in the 90's, so not sure if still open either.  Thanks for reply.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

go hogues

1. Waikiki=Miami or LA (Lots of traffic, chain store fashion and people)  I would recommend only seriously devoting one full day here.  Make sure you get a Mai Tai at the Royal Hawaiian (pink palace) Mai Tai bar (where the drink was invented).  That is a cool experience and the most stout Mai Tai I have ever consumed ;)
2. Make sure you get out and see the USS Arizona, that is a must.
3. Rent a car and drive up to the north shore town of Haleiwa and take in the incredible vibe of the most famous surf town in the world.  Go to the beach and jump off the cliffs at Waimea Bay park, sample the great shave ice in Haleiwa and cruise up to the Turtle Bay resort for some great scenic driving.

On Maui:
Lahaina is great with lots to do, see and eat.  Be ready to dole out some cash for pretty much everything though.  I have heard driving the road to Hana and the sunrise climb up the volcano are must do's (when I was there, I was 18 and spent my entire time trying to pick up girls at the hotel, and now looking back, I wish I had driven the road and climbed the volcano...haha)
Also, the helicopter rides around the island are fun.  They take off from Kahalui and fly all throughout the island, showing you where they filmed Jurassic Park, etc.

All in all, a Hawaii trip is one of the most fun you'll ever take, no matter what you decide to do.  The fragrant trade winds and the fantastic scenery of the islands will treat you well.  Have a great time!  Eat lots of pineapple!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

pikehog

Always use sunscreen or you will burn in about 15 minutes.

If possibel forget WB and go to Kaui.

Take a helicopter tour.

pipehog

I hav'nt been since 1992, do they still have the abc stores everywhere? If they do keep you wife out

Lanny

Yes they have ABC stores around each corner.  Hawaii's version of Walgreens
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

pipehog

Melhog

June 16, 2008, 09:33:18 am #15 Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:37:19 am by Melhog
Go eat at Pacifico's in Maui if its still there. If I remember correctly its in Lahaina.  Just look it up when you get there. I was there 7 yrs ago on my honeymoon and it was recommended by a guy we met on the plane that visited Maui often.  Very nice restaurant with outdoor seating. We had seafood, steak, wine, dessert etc. and had a table about two inches from the sand.  Food was great and it was very reasonably priced at the time.  Lots of good restaurants in Lahaina and you can sit overlooking the ocean in several of these. Cheesbuger in Paradise, Bubba Gump's etc. 

I think its called the Lahaina Luau in Maui and its pretty good one to see. My wife looked all that stuff up in a Fodor's or Frommer's Travel guide. You might want to go get one. They have pretty good tips on where to eat, what to do. We stayed at Kaanapali Beach area and there are several beachside restaurants there also. I would recommend a helicopter tour of the island as well.