Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"A Lot of Work Left to Do"

Started by opineonswine, February 18, 2015, 11:06:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

I believe that was Mike's statement after the game.  He is SO right.  We have tough games coming up.  We have a tougher schedule than Texas A&M or Ole Miss.  There are land mines all along the way.

I was glad to hear him say that and hope he can keep the team focused on the next game and not looking ahead.  Fans are hopeless optimists when the team is rolling.  It can tumble down if the team gets complacent (like vs. two teams they beat at home by 20).

Just keep winning....

BadHog

Work on beating KY!

But after we win the next two!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

hogsanity

In the college basketball world the regular season is not nearly as important anymore than what a team does in the ncaat, and maybe even their conf tournament, as far as recognition on a national level.

They may win their last 5 sec games, they ay go 4-1 or 3-2, but if they go make some noise in the sect and ncaat, that is all most people will remember.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

@ Miss State
vs. Texas a&m
@ Kentucky
@ South Carolina
vs. LSU

Everyone of those games could be lost. This is not an easy stretch at all. Miss State at home is going to be looking for some payback, South Carolina is always tough at their place, LSU has the talent to beat any team in the country if they show up, and #1 Kentucky and Texas a&m are the other two best teams in the conference besides Arkansas.

We better show up. If we can just go 2-3 or 3-2, that will be just fine.

Hoggish1

Just play a 7th consecutive strong game on D and I'll be happy!

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 19, 2015, 08:36:24 am
Just play a 7th consecutive strong game on D and I'll be happy!

I still wonder, because I am a stats guy, how much of the defensive resurgence has been due to the inept offenses they have been facing. Mizzu is ranked 305th in scoring. The average of the last 9 opponents has been something like 250th. Not exactly facing offensive juggernauts.

Bigger key to me has been the return the last two or three games to pretty good shooting by the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2015, 08:43:16 am
I still wonder, because I am a stats guy, how much of the defensive resurgence has been due to the inept offenses they have been facing. Mizzu is ranked 305th in scoring. The average of the last 9 opponents has been something like 250th. Not exactly facing offensive juggernauts.

Bigger key to me has been the return the last two or three games to pretty good shooting by the Hogs.

Not sure why you would worry about that when before the "resurgence" we had given up 95 to Ole Miss and nearly 90 to Alabama.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

gmarv

well after last night theres just a little less work to do.on to miss st.wps

hogsanity

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on February 19, 2015, 08:48:27 am
Not sure why you would worry about that when before the "resurgence" we had given up 95 to Ole Miss and nearly 90 to Alabama.

I just wonder, even last night, Mizzu, depleted as they are, scored 7 points above their season average. Now, they did get a couple late garbage baskets, but they shot 50% from the field, 9% better than their season average. Their problem was they could not hold onto the ball. lost the to battle by 12, and some were just horrendously stupid. Twice under no pressure at all, they just threw the ball to no one.

The largest problem with this team nearly all season has been their willingness to not play hard all the time.  So you get 1 or 2 busting butt on this trip down the floor and 2 or 3 on the next series and then maybe all 5 on the next and then no one is willing to get back on D or play as a unit on D and then there is the real dumb play thrown in and its a nail biter against a nobody or even a loss.

Biggest difference in this team lately is that mostly they've decided to actually play basketball all the time and not just as they feel like it.  Mike is so right, we are not nearly there yet.  Something has their attention though and it appears they can see what collective effort can do.

PonderinHog

I'm sure a lot has to do with pace of play.

gmarv

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2015, 08:57:03 am
I just wonder, even last night, Mizzu, depleted as they are, scored 7 points above their season average. Now, they did get a couple late garbage baskets, but they shot 50% from the field, 9% better than their season average. Their problem was they could not hold onto the ball. lost the to battle by 12, and some were just horrendously stupid. Twice under no pressure at all, they just threw the ball to no one.
don,t suppose we had something to do with those stupid turnovers?they had been harassed and sped up they seemed to be playing hot potatoe sometimes to me.

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2015, 08:57:03 am
I saw a Hog team that knew Mizzou posed zero threat to them.  They played accordingly.  Now, that cockiness could be good and bad.

elksnort

Agree. When the Hogs shoot well, its seems the rest of the games works too. The Hogs' defensive system allows open 3s, etc., if the other team can execute. But of course, it can also turn into offense immediately.

It maybe over simplified. But when the Hogs shoot well, they are much more formidable.

poloprince

Just win two out of the last 5 and we are a 7-8 seed, anything else is gravy train.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: BadHog on February 18, 2015, 11:29:01 pm
Work on beating KY!

But after we win the next two!

"Beating KY" makes me giggle, for some reason.
[CENSORED]!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: elksnort on February 19, 2015, 09:14:28 am
Agree. When the Hogs shoot well, its seems the rest of the games works too. The Hogs' defensive system allows open 3s, etc., if the other team can execute. But of course, it can also turn into offense immediately.

It maybe over simplified. But when the Hogs shoot well, they are much more formidable.

Mizz got 18 shots within 3 ft.  Made 11
15-34 elsewhere for 44%
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hogfan870

Quote from: poloprince on February 19, 2015, 09:16:49 am
Just win two out of the last 5 and we are a 7-8 seed, anything else is gravy train.  :razorback:

At this point I am hoping for way better than that.  Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am.

HSVhogfan2

I think you learn more from watching the game than you do from a stat sheet. For the last 5 games or so, AR has been much more focused on the defensive end. Switching much harder on the screens. Not getting their bigs lost as much guarding the 3 point line. Last night, to me, was one of the worst defensive efforts in this little run. They were lazy on several screens, allowing open looks that Mizzou hit to keep the game somewhat under control.

They still have a problem with rushing their shots on open looks at times. As if they are surprised they are so open. The ball movement on this team is extraordinary at times. It's the old saying "play fast, but never hurry". Hopefully, they will become accustomed to winning by tourny time, relax, and just play, especially on the offensive end.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 19, 2015, 10:02:43 am

Not beating KY might cause friction on this board.

opineonswine

I'd rather be a 10 than an 8.  But I think we'll do better than either.

The_Iceman

Quote from: opineonswine on February 19, 2015, 10:31:30 am

If we only win 2 of the last 5, we would be (23-8, 12-6 SEC). I think that would get us better than an 8th seed. Likely a 6 or 7.

jgphillips3

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2015, 10:29:38 am

If we find our stroke and stick it to KY on their home floor we could wind up on a slippery slope.

CattleCorn

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 19, 2015, 11:07:26 am
If we find our stroke and stick it to KY on their home floor we could wind up on a slippery slope.

Yeah and who knows what would happen to our seed then.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2015, 10:42:27 am
If we only win 2 of the last 5, we would be (23-8, 12-6 SEC). I think that would get us better than an 8th seed. Likely a 6 or 7.
Agreed.
Sitting here right now, they're solidly in. Only a total collapse would bump them out.
But every win is huge because it bumps the seeding. I want to advance and not just settle to be there this year. The higher seed you get, the chances for advancement in the tourney increase significantly. Those #1 seeds, they don't even break a sweat until the second weekend. First round is Cupcake St, second round is a middle seed, etc
A solid finish may get the Hogs as high as #4 seed, possibly.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: CattleCorn on February 19, 2015, 11:36:41 am

I hope Ashley Judd's there to see this!

GoHogs1091

We don't want to be an 8 seed (or a 9 seed).  The 8/9 seed 1st round game is usually a tough game, and if won means a match up in the 2nd round against a 1 seed (probably against either Kentucky, Duke/and or Virginia, Wisconsin, and Gonzaga).

I can tell you this right now, we don't want any part of Wisconsin or Virginia because of their style of play.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 19, 2015, 10:02:43 am
Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2015, 10:29:38 am
Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 19, 2015, 11:07:26 am
Quote from: CattleCorn on February 19, 2015, 11:36:41 am
Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 19, 2015, 11:46:28 am
I hope Ashley Judd's there to see this!

Hogville GOLD!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: opineonswine on February 19, 2015, 10:31:30 am

Yes, a 10 is better than an 8 or 9 seed.  5, 6, 7, or 10 are our best possibilities.

Regarding specific teams, to me the folliwing are 4 teams we don't want/need to face in the NCAAT.

Wisconsin
Virginia
Iowa State (Hoiberg can coach)
West Virginia (in a one game situation, Huggins out coaches a lot of opposing Head Coaches)

opineonswine

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 19, 2015, 12:07:36 pm
Yes, a 10 is better than an 8 or 9 seed.  5, 6, 7, or 10 are our best possibilities.

Regarding specific teams, to me the folliwing are 4 teams we don't want/need to face in the NCAAT.

Wisconsin
Virginia
Iowa State (Hoiberg can coach)
West Virginia (in a one game situation, Huggins out coaches a lot of opposing Head Coaches)

Speaking of WV..I see they got probation for recruiting violations in about every sport.

poloprince

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 19, 2015, 11:48:02 am
We don't want to be an 8 seed (or a 9 seed).  The 8/9 seed 1st round game is usually a tough game, and if won means a match up in the 2nd round against a 1 seed (probably against either Kentucky, Duke/and or Virginia, Wisconsin, and Gonzaga).

I can tell you this right now, we don't want any part of Wisconsin or Virginia because of their style of play.

We want to be any seed and will suit up against anyone at this juncture.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Corkscrew Johnson

One area for improvement: our shot selection once we get on a mini-run.   It feels like once we get up 6-12 points, momentum is in our favor, we get a turnover....and then we ruin the opportunity by taking a poor shot.  Which is usually an ill-advised 3 point shot (often times a pull-up 3).  It feels like we need to do a "heat check", aka NBA Jams syndrome (there is RARELY a time when a player is so "on fire" he can jack up contested shots from anywhere and they will go in), or they just get a little too excited with the opportunity like a teenage boy at his first strip club.   

Nolan's teams were great at breaking an opponent.  When they would hit that same opportunistic, spirit crushing moment, it's like they would get MORE focused and work with extra precision to get a great shot and deliver the kill stroke.  And when a team is back on its heels and reeling and scrambling around, it's actually pretty easy to get a high percentage shot.  You just gotta stay disciplined.

I will actually take this thought a little further, and be more specific with my suggestion:  get the ball into Bobby Portis' hands.   

GoHogs1091

Quote from: opineonswine on February 19, 2015, 12:12:40 pm
Speaking of WV..I see they got probation for recruiting violations in about every sport.

Maybe they won't be in the NCAAT.

Knowing our luck, the NCAA might be putting us in the same region with Virginia, Iowa State and Wichita State.  If Virginia doesn't get a 1 seed, we might be in the following region/regional.

Wisconsin  1 seed
Virginia  2 seed
Wichita State  3 seed
Iowa State  4 seed