Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"A highlight waiting to happen"

Started by razorhogfanatic, December 26, 2014, 01:09:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhogfanatic

Do you remember a couple of seasons ago when Coach A referred to one of the players as a "highlight waiting to happen?" Who was that? Was it Michael Qualls?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: razorhogfanatic on December 26, 2014, 01:09:55 am
Do you remember a couple of seasons ago when Coach A referred to one of the players as a "highlight waiting to happen?" Who was that? Was it Michael Qualls?

Not sure, but if so, he's already lived up to it.  That dunk against Kentucky last year is probably the 2nd greatest Razorback highlight(next only to Scotty's 3 to win the National Championship) in our history.  #3 would be Mayberry's 3 against Texass(the "Strollin' with Nolan game").
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hog are ya

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 01:20:03 am
Not sure, but if so, he's already lived up to it.  That dunk against Kentucky last year is probably the 2nd greatest Razorback highlight(next only to Scotty's 3 to win the National Championship) in our history.  #3 would be Mayberry's 3 against Texass(the "Strollin' with Nolan game").

I'm guessing you're not an old-timer like me.  I would throw U.S. Reed's halfcourt shot to beat Louisville in the tournament in there along with Super Sids dunk against Texas that made the cover of Sports Illustrated.  Also Boots shot to beat Notre Dame in the consolation game of final four.... (as arguable highlights larger than Qualls dunk)

3kgthog

I'm not old enough to have seen most of those highlights live, but even I wouldn't put MQ's dunk against UK in the all-time UA top 5 plays. There are many others from bigger games. Beating UK ultimately got us nothing while other plays helped win championships, propelled us to the Big Dance, or kept us alive in it.

Quote from: Hog are ya on December 26, 2014, 06:22:50 am
I'm guessing you're not an old-timer like me.  I would throw U.S. Reed's halfcourt shot to beat Louisville in the tournament in there along with Super Sids dunk against Texas that made the cover of Sports Illustrated.  Also Boots shot to beat Notre Dame in the consolation game of final four.... (as arguable highlights larger than Qualls dunk)

I stand corrected.  You are right on.

1.  Scotty
2.  U.S. Reed
3.  Super Sid
4.  Qualls
5.  Mayberry
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Dominicanhog

Charles Ballentine's shot against Jordan and Perkins is another.

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 26, 2014, 11:28:36 am

I remember that one like it was yesterday.  That would probably be tied for #5 on my list.

rude1

^^^This. Not that Qualls dunk wasn't a big moment, but it really led to nothing of significance. Had that dunk propelled the team on to a special season I would probably rank it higher.

Quote from: rude1 on December 26, 2014, 12:20:10 pm
^^^This. Not that Qualls dunk wasn't a big moment, but it really led to nothing of significance. Had that dunk propelled the team on to a special season I would probably rank it higher.

True.  It put us on the bubble and had we made it in, it would have been really significant.  I still think it ranks up there though.

Pork Twain

December 26, 2014, 03:28:46 pm #9 Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:42:19 pm by Pork Twain
I would put the MQ's dunk in the top 3.  Highlights have never been only about what they led their team to do on the entire season.  I think we have all seen too many plays from great players on crappy teams to believe that.  It seems like some of you are mixing up "highlight" with "most important" or "critical" plays.

As an aside, Scotty's 3 was not a game winning shot.  Sure it really helped, but others fell after it.  Hence, not a game winner.  That shot made it 73/70 and the final score was 76/72.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 26, 2014, 03:28:46 pm
I would put the MQ's dunk in the top 3.  Highlights have never been only about what they led their team to do on the entire season.  I think we have all seen too many plays from great players on crappy teams to believe that.  Some of you are mixing up "highlight" with "most important" or "critical" plays.

As an aside, Scotty's 3 was not a game winning shot.  Sure it really helped, but others fell after it.  Hence, not a game winner.

I just went back and watched it and you are correct.  I don't know why I remember it being the last shot.

But IMO it was the biggest shot ever by a Razorback.

Pork Twain

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 03:44:10 pm
I just went back and watched it and you are correct.  I don't know why I remember it being the last shot.

I agree that it was.  A lot of people refer to it as a game winner and it likely put a stake in the heart of Duke.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 26, 2014, 03:46:41 pm
I agree that it was.  A lot of people refer to it as a game winner and it likely put a stake in the heart of Duke.

I loved the story of how Thurman's high school coach would hold a broom up to make him practice that high arc.  His shot was a thing of beauty...

Pork Twain

nextlevel

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 03:44:10 pm

Most people think it was because it beat the shot clock expiring and confuse that with the game clock.

Then it went into lure immediately following the game as being the shot that won the game, had a spread in SI, etc.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

rude1

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 26, 2014, 03:28:46 pm
I would put the MQ's dunk in the top 3.  Highlights have never been only about what they led their team to do on the entire season.  I think we have all seen too many plays from great players on crappy teams to believe that.  It seems like some of you are mixing up "highlight" with "most important" or "critical" plays.

As an aside, Scotty's 3 was not a game winning shot.  Sure it really helped, but others fell after it.  Hence, not a game winner.  That shot made it 73/70 and the final score was 76/72.
Well as far as just pure spectacular plays that wasn't even one of Qualls best, that's a routine follow up two hand finish, a common play, the circumstances is what makes it anything of note IMO. If we go by that guide lines, I can literally think of dozens of more spectacular Razorback plays made. One of my favorites being watching US Reed at 6'2" going up and doing a 360 two hand finish.

mhuff

Beat me to it..... Ballentine

WADHOG

Yes.  Newport born and raised.

Hog are ya

Yes that was a big one!  That game was played in the Pine Bluff Convention Center.  I watched it with my mom while she was a patient at the Baptist Hospital in Little Rock.  I screamed out loud and had nurses come and shush me....

Hog are ya

December 27, 2014, 07:36:49 am #19 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:26:31 am by Hog are ya
Quote from: Hog are ya on December 27, 2014, 07:15:41 am
Yes that was a big one!  That game was played in the Pine Bluff Convention Center.  I watched it with my mom while she was a patient at the Baptist Hospital in Little Rock.  I screamed out loud and had nurses come and shush me....

side note on Ballentine...
I was at a UCA basketball camp when Don Dyer was the coach. .  I won a few rounds in the one on one competition then went up against Ballentine. I had the ball first and scored, (he was playing very soft d), he then missed an outside shot, I rebounded and scored again.  He didn't miss again and blocked every shot I attempted!  I thought it was pretty cool that he let me have a little success though!

razorbackkid

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 10:30:45 am

1.  Scotty
2.  U.S. Reed
3.  Super Sid
4.  Qualls
5.  Mayberry

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

rzrbackramsfan

Wow razorbackkidd, that was pretty magical video.  Kind of reminded me of the cold hearted shot Lillard made to finish off the rockets.

daBoar

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 10:30:45 am

1.  Scotty
2.  U.S. Reed
3.  Super Sid
4.  Qualls
5.  Mayberry
Ron Brewer's shot to beat ND?

WJBilly

The best parts of Sids dunk was the "oh crap" look to the Texas players face and our bench ready to explode in the background.

hogfan10

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 11:49:28 am
I remember that one like it was yesterday.  That would probably be tied for #5 on my list.

Really, you rank it higher than Balentine's shot to beat the #1 rank Tar Heels w/Jordan?

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: razorhogfanatic on December 26, 2014, 01:09:55 am

Pretty sure it was Qualls he was talking about yes i remember that quote.

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 28, 2014, 04:40:57 pm
Really, you rank it higher than Balentine's shot to beat the #1 rank Tar Heels w/Jordan?

As far as a "Highlight Reel" play yes.  I think that as far as an important moment in Arkansas Razorback history, the Balentine shot was a greater and more important play.

hogfan10

December 28, 2014, 08:27:31 pm #27 Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:03:29 pm by hogfan10
Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 28, 2014, 08:20:53 pm
As far as a "Highlight Reel" play yes.  I think that as far as an important moment in Arkansas Razorback history, the Balentine shot was a greater and more important play.

Sounds reasonable. I think we are using different qualities for highlights.

As far as awe inspiring highlights I'm sure there have been many:
Super Sid
William Mills
Darrell Walker
Al Dillard
Antwan Walker Hall (? from chicago)
Sonny Weems
Brandon Dean
Michael Qualls
Downtown Tony Brown

All of the above provided many awe inspiring plays. I listed those in no specific order, and probably left off many.

intelligence

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 28, 2014, 08:27:31 pm

Super Sid
William Mills
Darrell Walker
Al Dillard
Antwan Walker (? from chicago)
Sonny Weems
Brandon Dean
Michael Qualls
Downtown Tony Brown

All of the above provided many awe inspiring plays. I listed those in no specific order, and probably left off many.
P Bev and Pargo had some clutch 3's too

PonderinHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 28, 2014, 08:45:14 pm
Joe Johnson and Brandon Dean

Brandon Dean had a good one, I believe it was in that SEC tournament we won to make it to the dance.

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 28, 2014, 08:27:31 pm

Super Sid
William Mills
Darrell Walker
Al Dillard
Antwan Walker (? from chicago)
Sonny Weems
Brandon Dean
Michael Qualls
Downtown Tony Brown

Yeah, I should have re-thought the difference before posting a list.  I forgot about that William Mills' one, where he dunked on 3 Texas players and hung on the rim, while pointing once at each one with his other hand.  Immediate technical foul, but so worth it!!!

hogfan10

Quote from: intelligence on December 28, 2014, 08:43:09 pm
P Bev and Pargo had some clutch 3's too

Absolutely!
I was just listing the players that I remember that were freakishly athletic, and provided us with some "wow" type plays over the years (mainly high flying dunks/blocks/etc.). And, like I said, I'm positive I've left some out.

I remember when Al Dillard come in the game....just a freak of nature shot.  As long as he was past the Razorback in the middle of the floor, he had a green light to shoot.  Rarely saw him miss.

hogfan10

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 28, 2014, 11:40:53 pm
I remember when Al Dillard come in the game....just a freak of nature shot.  As long as he was past the Razorback in the middle of the floor, he had a green light to shoot.  Rarely saw him miss.

He was also able to dunk with some flare!

urkillnmesmalls

By contrast, if that put back dunk by Qualls would have been at the buzzer to win the NC, similar to the NC State one, it would probably be recognized as THE best play ever in CBB.  Timing...it's all about timing.  It was just unreal how that unfolded. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PorkSoda

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 26, 2014, 01:10:52 pm
True.  It put us on the bubble and had we made it in, it would have been really significant.  I still think it ranks up there though.
I try not to get to caught up in rankings, it was definitely a top tier dunk.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2014, 07:31:36 pm
By contrast, if that put back dunk by Qualls would have been at the buzzer to win the NC, similar to the NC State one, it would probably be recognized as THE best play ever in CBB.  Timing...it's all about timing.  It was just unreal how that unfolded. 

Agreed.

WADHOG

Warren Lynn dunking on the big Auburn center was a highlight reel staple.  (For highlight reel sakes only)