Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"40 Minutes of Hell" the book

Started by Pork Twain, June 03, 2012, 06:01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

June 03, 2012, 06:01:19 pm Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:11:33 pm by BeoPig™
Just read it and I will say it was eye-opening in several areas.  Solidifies my dislike for the White Haired Devil, but I do see how Nolan and White could have handled things differently.

Anyone else read it and want to discuss?

Yes I did search to see if it was discussed before and it was in MMQB and trashed.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

poloprince

Great read and glad you had an eye opening experience.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Pork Twain

Quote from: poloprince on June 04, 2012, 08:24:42 am
Great read and glad you had an eye opening experience.
My wife was like, are things really like that in Arkansas?  Sucks to have to admit they are and were even worse.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Boston RedHogs

I also thought it was eye-opening.  It's a great book that I recommend people read to truly understand Nolan's drive as well as his outlook on life and his relationship with JFB.

Nolan was a pioneer that paved the way for many black coaches after him, not just in basketball.

I'll say it again.....Name the freaking court after Nolan.  I don't know why the state of Arkansas and University can't just get over itself and give the man his due.

Smithian

There are two sides to every story.

The other side of the story (out of respect for the University of Arkansas, the athletic program, the state, and the fans) will never start a war of words in an attempt to get even.  If Broyles and other Razorback higher ups ever responded with some of their feelings, it would drive a wedge in the middle of the fan base as the other side would surely go scorched Earth. Frank Broyles, who has dedicated over half a century to the Razorbacks, has stayed quiet even after a book and an ESPNU documentary were made that put him in a bad light. I am thankful he has.

Neither side conducted themselves as well as possible, I believe even Scotty Thurman said as much in the book.

Jeffcphog

"Solidifies my dislike for the White Haired Devil."

After all CFB has done for the University that is a sad point of view.  Yes, he did some things, well alot of things, I didn't agree with but I will not be disrespectful.

Pork Twain

June 05, 2012, 08:14:41 am #6 Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:34:18 pm by BeoPig™
I am not saying that Nolan is without fault or that JFB did everything wrong or that this book represents everything 100% accurately.  I am saying that for many years, the media only printed one side of the story we are discussing and everything else that concerned Arkansas athletics.  I grew up reading it and I realize looking back, that the media lived in JFB's back pocket.  Wally was one of the worst.  That same type of reporting carried over in every other aspect of the university to include how HDN was handled. 

It sure seems like to me that one side of the story has been told over and over again over the years.  Every time I opened a paper, turned on the T.V.  or got on the internet, I saw the other side of the story.  I thought we had discussed that topic to death over the years and there was little question to the validity of it.  If that is not the case then history might need to be rewritten. I just thought it was nice to finally see the other side of the story, because I could on one hand the number of timed, in my 36 years, that Arkansas media took a stand while JFB was still the AD.  Wally finally crawled out from under his rock when JFB stepped down, but he is still a company man.

I am not really sure what JFB could come out to say at this point to paint himself in a better light and that might be a reason for the silence, not just doing so out of the goodness of his heart.  I appreciate everything that JFB did for the University but it was not all good.  I disliked how he dealt with our last three winning football coaches.  I disliked how he dealt with the basketball coaches from Nolan till now and that is why I use the term "solidifies".

claycohog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 05, 2012, 08:14:41 am
I am not saying that Nolan is without fault or that JFB did everything wrong or that this book represents everything 100% accurately.  I am saying that for many years, the media only printed one side of the story we are discussing and everything else that concerned Arkansas athletics.  I grew up reading it and I realize looking back, that the media lived in JFB's back pocket.  Wally was one of the worst.  That same type of reporting carried over in every other aspect of the university to include how HDN was handled.  It sure seems like to me that one side of the story has been told over and over again over the years.  I just thought it was nice to finally see the other side of the story.

I am not really sure what JFB could come out to say at this point to paint himself in a better light and that might be a reason for the silence, not just doing so out of the goodness of his heart.  I appreciate everything that JFB did for the University but it was not all good.  I disliked how he dealt with our last three winning football coaches.  I disliked how he dealt with the basketball coaches from Nolan till now and that is why I use the term "solidifies".
Well said.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 05, 2012, 08:14:41 am
I am not saying that Nolan is without fault or that JFB did everything wrong or that this book represents everything 100% accurately.  I am saying that for many years, the media only printed one side of the story we are discussing and everything else that concerned Arkansas athletics.  I grew up reading it and I realize looking back, that the media lived in JFB's back pocket.  Wally was one of the worst.  That same type of reporting carried over in every other aspect of the university to include how HDN was handled.  It sure seems like to me that one side of the story has been told over and over again over the years.  I just thought it was nice to finally see the other side of the story.

This exactly.  This book was simply Nolan's virtually untold story.  Now we all know there are 3 sides to every story, one person's story, the next person's story, and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

I couldn't agree with BeoPig more in the sense that the Arkansas sports journalists were JFBs lackeys for the most part and they wrote what they needed to write to maintain their access to the Razorback program.

Smithian

There's a book and an ESPNU documentary with Nolan's side.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Smithian on June 05, 2012, 04:54:32 pm
There's a book and an ESPNU documentary with Nolan's side.
Yep, that is what I just said.

Wild Bill Hog

JFB has never felt a need to comment on any of it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 11, 2012, 12:13:18 pm
JFB has never felt a need to comment on any of it.
Why would he need to when he had had his media mouthpieces his entire career and we are not just talking about the relationship with Nolan here.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 11, 2012, 12:47:37 pm
Why would he need to when he had had his media mouthpieces his entire career and we are not just talking about the relationship with Nolan here.

All I meant was JFB is not concerned about what is said about him.

LOL   Sounds like you read the book with an already closed mind.

Pork Twain

June 11, 2012, 01:19:24 pm #14 Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:48:22 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 11, 2012, 12:53:13 pm
All I meant was JFB is not concerned about what is said about him.

LOL   Sounds like you read the book with an already closed mind.
Not at all, but I did pay close attention to how the media covered issues when JFB as in power and how they cover them now and I think that JFB got his point out often and through various souces.  I think Nolan was wrong in how he chose to voice his concerns as well.

CDBHawg

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 11, 2012, 01:19:24 pm
Not at all, but I did pay close attention to how the media covered issues when JFB as in power and how they cover them now and I think that JFB got his point out often and through various souces.  I think Nolan was wrong in how he chose to voice his concerns as well.

Not sure any thing gets "covered" nowadays.