Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Business decision" ???

Started by Mott The Hoople, September 21, 2011, 06:29:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mott The Hoople

How much is Kentucky going to pay him?

Breems

Ky Madden said coming here was a business decision.

Seems like a "presser" phrase to get people off your back. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Arazorbackguy1

Don't piss on your home state and expect roses when you return.  Archie screwed up royally.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Breems

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 21, 2011, 11:51:49 am
Don't piss on your home state and expect roses when you return.  Archie screwed up royally.

I wouldn't say that.  That's Dyer-like.

I'm still ticked but I'm turning my anger into energy and optimism for Jarnell Stokes.

Arazorbackguy1

I'd say Archie pissed on Arkansas.  Talking about how he attend his chest for Arkansas but it was something he Had to do (going to UK). Give me a break.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

psooie

coach cal is a slimeball. I hope he quits UK for the nba after next season. Archie Goodwin, who is that? i have no idea who that is and don't care to hear that name again.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 21, 2011, 11:59:06 am
I'd say Archie pissed on Arkansas.  Talking about how he attend his chest for Arkansas but it was something he Had to do (going to UK). Give me a break.

Exactly.  Him going to Kentucky doesn't make it any more likely that he'll be a one-and-done.  He bought-in to the hype/sleaze.  That's the bottom line.  I will not be doing anything other than rooting against him.  I don't care if he's from here, he chose to go to a rival school.  He's now a rival.

Spider-Pig

business decision is a cliche nowadays (except when you're talking about Auburn football)

ICEman

One year of Bluegrass pleasure may result in decades of post NBA heartache.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

The Boar War

September 21, 2011, 01:32:46 pm #10 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:35:40 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 21, 2011, 11:51:49 am

I agree with you (although I would insert "turn your back" where you have "piss").  Someone needs to get in these kids' ears and tell them what it means to grow up in Arkansas, go to school at Arkansas, play in the NBA/NFL, and return home a hero.  A former Razorback lives like royalty in this state.

If Archie plays in the league for five years and has an average NBA career do you think they'll care in Lexington.  If things keep going as they are they'll have twenty five "Archie Goodwins" who have come through the system.

If nothing else that's why Corliss needs to be a part of this staff.  Hopefully if he does well at UCA he can make the transition.

Brass Knob

Let me just clear up "business decision". I think we can all agree that if Archie is one and done at UK he would be one and done at Arkansas. However, look at the rookie pay scale. Archie will be drafted higher from Kentucky than he would be from Arkansas almost certainly. It is not a slight against Ark. or Anderson, but it is just very obvious that Cal is a master salesman and marketer. There is no coach who promotes his players like Cal. So, yes one done at both schools but what pick he is drafted would be different. It is all about perception and the perception is Cal's kids come from an NBA offense are better prepared for the NBA (whether this is true or not is irrelevant because it is the way it is perceived). Let us assume he is picked 5th at Kentucky and would have been 10th at Arkansas.

Year 1 pay - UK $ 2,636,400 Ark $ 1,748,800 difference $   887,600
Year 2 pay - UK $ 2,834,200 Ark $ 1,879,900 difference $   954,300
Year 3 pay - UK $ 3,031,900 Ark $ 2,011,100 difference $ 1,020,800
Year 4 pay - UK $ 3,841,420 Ark $ 2,564,150 difference $ 1,277,270

In both scenarios he is a top 10 lottery pick (picked 5 and 10). However, in just his initial rookie contract (4 years) he would stand to lose $ 4,139,970. That is an average of more than a million per year... That is what Cal sold him. Even if you say well that is dramatic 5 spots. Okay, I am not going to list the yearly difference but even if you say he would be drafted 5 at UK and 6 at Arkansas the money lost over the first 4 years of his rookie contract would be $ 1,129,500, just because he was drafted 5 instead of 6... It was as business decision and should be for someone like him. I know that is not popular but it is hard to say I would be different with that kind of money differential staring me in the face. I am not fan of Cal but I guarantee you that what I just posted is what he sold Archie with, followed by how many lottery picks has Mike Anderson or Coach Pastner had because I have had...

DeltaBoy

I have no love for folks who leave and play elsewhere.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgndaaz

I understand what he meant.

The kid should and will be in the league after a season if he's allowed to shine on the big stage. He isn't guaranteed to get on the big stage at UofA in one season. Sadly, we're an afterthought at this point.

Cal puts guys in the league, and does it consistently. His players go deep in the tourney on national television where they get lots of hype.

MA will do fine here, but has yet to put up lottery picks of his own.

Breems

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 21, 2011, 02:13:21 pm
The kid should and will be in the league after a season if he's allowed to shine on the big stage. He isn't guaranteed to get on the big stage at UofA in one season. Sadly, we're an afterthought at this point.

Ronnie Brewer was a lottery pick on a Stan Heath team.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Breems on September 21, 2011, 02:23:23 pm

after three years.

Goodwin wants and expects one and done. MA hasn't done that yet, and Cal has done it 3-4 times.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Breems on September 21, 2011, 02:23:23 pm

Exactly.  Where he plays has nothing to do with being a lottery pick (or being picked 5th or 10th).  If he has lottery pick talent, he'd be a lottery pick next year, no matter where he went to play.

Dudes from Lithuania, Turkey, and the Czech Republic are going in the top 10 of the Draft.  They will find the talent, no matter where they are.

This myth that Calipari PRODUCES lottery picks is ridiculous.  He USES lottery picks for one year.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 21, 2011, 02:38:34 pm
Exactly.  Where he plays has nothing to do with being a lottery pick (or being picked 5th or 10th).  If he has lottery pick talent, he'd be a lottery pick next year, no matter where he went to play.

Dudes from Lithuania, Turkey, and the Czech Republic are going in the top 10 of the Draft.  They will find the talent, no matter where they are.

This myth that Calipari PRODUCES lottery picks is ridiculous.  He USES lottery picks for one year.

You're still forgetting the national stage thing. Kentucky and Memphis are/were final 4 teams every year. we didn't even make the flippin tournament.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 21, 2011, 02:37:56 pm
after three years.

Goodwin wants and expects one and done. MA hasn't done that yet, and Cal has done it 3-4 times.

It isn't like Brewer was projected as a lottery pick coming out of high school and the only reason it took him 3 years is because he came to Arkansas instead of Kentucky.

The bottom line is, if a kid has one-and-done talent, he will be one-and-done, no matter where he goes to play college basketball for 1 year.

sigpooie

From what i saw of his posse, this move makes me think cheatapari is at his usual best. l don't doubt for a minute that someone that knows what he's doing is going to sell a few books about it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

The Hogfather

September 21, 2011, 02:44:23 pm #20 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:46:23 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 21, 2011, 02:39:54 pm
You're still forgetting the national stage thing. Kentucky and Memphis are/were final 4 teams every year. we didn't even make the flippin tournament.

That has nothing to do with where they are drafted.  You're forgetting the little statement about guys from Turkey, Lithuania, and the Czech Republic going in the top 10.  They weren't big names.  They weren't hyped up by ESPN, etc.

Again, what you are saying is a big myth, continued by the media/people like you.

Brass Knob

You are oversimplifying the situation. The goal is not to just be one and done, but be drafted as highly as possible. He can be one and done at either school but if Kentucky can get drafted one spot higher that earns more than $ 1,000,000 over four years. That is a lot of cash. And yes Kentucky and Cal have the exposure, respect, and marketing ability to positively affect a prospects draft spot (not dramatically but even only spot makes a dramatic difference in pay).

poloprince

Maybe he needs the ACT taken for him
$PoLoPrInCe$

jamie72921

Quote from: Brass Knob on September 21, 2011, 03:30:00 pm
You are oversimplifying the situation. The goal is not to just be one and done, but be drafted as highly as possible. He can be one and done at either school but if Kentucky can get drafted one spot higher that earns more than $ 1,000,000 over four years. That is a lot of cash. And yes Kentucky and Cal have the exposure, respect, and marketing ability to positively affect a prospects draft spot (not dramatically but even only spot makes a dramatic difference in pay).

This is just dumb.

When it comes time to draft, the pros aren't calling Calipari for his opinion.

They work these kids out and test them just like the NFL does their draftees. It will all come down to pure unadulterated raw ability for a one and done.

Anyone that thinks Calipari somehow develops these kids into elite talent in only one year is delusional. These kids were the highest rated recruits in the land BEFORE Calipari ever worked them out.

That is the strongest link and kids that go play for him thinking it affects their draft status probably don't understand the story about the Emperor's New Clothes.
Bless your heart

Hawgndaaz

no one is saying he develops them into elite talent, but he sure as hell gives them a better chance to be seen in the national spotlight.

jamie72921

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 21, 2011, 05:24:28 pm
no one is saying he develops them into elite talent, but he sure as hell gives them a better chance to be seen in the national spotlight.

And this equates to good business how?

There are plenty of foreign guys being drafted as lottery picks today that don't get national exposure.

Just not getting the "business" aspect of this.
Bless your heart

Brass Knob

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 21, 2011, 05:07:02 pm
This is just dumb.

When it comes time to draft, the pros aren't calling Calipari for his opinion.

They work these kids out and test them just like the NFL does their draftees. It will all come down to pure unadulterated raw ability for a one and done.

Anyone that thinks Calipari somehow develops these kids into elite talent in only one year is delusional. These kids were the highest rated recruits in the land BEFORE Calipari ever worked them out.

That is the strongest link and kids that go play for him thinking it affects their draft status probably don't understand the story about the Emperor's New Clothes.

If you honestly believe that where you play has 0 bearing on where you are drafted you are not paying attention to college basketball. Yes, GMs of franchises get caught up in hype and stories and so on. Greg Oden, Hasheem Thabeet, remember how far Mallett feel... It is all about PERCEPTION. The NBA PERCEIVES that Cal's players run an NBA system are more NBA ready than most players. Cal and Kentucky are not the difference between being picked 5 and 20. But Kentucky, perception of Cal's system, and ESPN can affect a players draft spot. As I already demonstrated falling just one spot in the draft can cause someone like Archie millions... That is a business decision.

jamie72921

Quote from: Brass Knob on September 21, 2011, 07:41:24 pm
If you honestly believe that where you play has 0 bearing on where you are drafted you are not paying attention to college basketball. Yes, GMs of franchises get caught up in hype and stories and so on. Greg Oden, Hasheem Thabeet, remember how far Mallett feel... It is all about PERCEPTION. The NBA PERCEIVES that Cal's players run an NBA system are more NBA ready than most players. Cal and Kentucky are not the difference between being picked 5 and 20. But Kentucky, perception of Cal's system, and ESPN can affect a players draft spot. As I already demonstrated falling just one spot in the draft can cause someone like Archie millions... That is a business decision.

Explain the foreign players then, because your current explanation just left out a large portion of this year's first rounders.

Where you play doesn't matter. It's all about how you play. They bring these guys in and work them out, they don't sit around and watch reruns of their games.

Arkansas was the first program to have 4 guys go in the first round too. How could that happen if your logic is correct?

All that is happening at Kentucky is that elite talent goes there for a year and gets drafted a year later based on that talent, not development as you are trying to sell.
Bless your heart

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 21, 2011, 09:20:13 pm
Explain the foreign players then, because your current explanation just left out a large portion of this year's first rounders.

Where you play doesn't matter. It's all about how you play. They bring these guys in and work them out, they don't sit around and watch reruns of their games.

Arkansas was the first program to have 4 guys go in the first round too. How could that happen if your logic is correct?

All that is happening at Kentucky is that elite talent goes there for a year and gets drafted a year later based on that talent, not development as you are trying to sell.

bs, bs, bs.

if this were true, top ten recruits would stay at their local colleges despite the league and level of play.

Hawgndaaz

you can't just lump in the entire continent of africa and europe to make your point, because you're talking about two totally different things.

AcePigtura

This just shows how jacked up the current rules are that stipulate a kid has to go to college for a year. This one and done stuff is destroying college basketball. Either let them go directly from high school or force them to stay for three years (like baseball).

Brass Knob

You obviously; A.) do not keep up closely with basketball B.) are being purposefully dense C.) applying no logic to what you are saying or D.) all the above..

Let me start from the top.

Foreign players: They are playing in professional leagues that are better than any college conference in America. They are payed professionals and have agents that contact people. And to be perfectly honest most of them are first round picks because everyone is hoping to find the next Dirk (meaning they are willing to stretch on a player who they would not have if he played in America)...

Next. "They don't sit around and watch reruns of their games". There is really nothing to say here other than this is 100% wrong and laughable. You actually think GM's and owners just bring players in for one or two workouts and then invest millions in them without watching their actual in game performance?

Okay, now this is tough the part for most Hog fans... It is the 2011-2012 basketball season. Archie was around 1 or 2 years old when we won the national title and sent all of those guys to the NBA. Cal sent 4 in the first round two drafts ago.

Lastly, I agree that Cal and Kentucky are the hot trend amongst the elite high school prospects. I do not think that is even debatable. However, I have not once tried to sell Cal as "developing" their talent. Cal is a master marketer and promoter of Kentucky and the players that play for him. However, if you look at his past (before he started landing all the one and dones) he actually has several non-elite high school players who played under him for three or four years and got drafted.

Blue35

Quote from: Mott The Hoople on September 21, 2011, 06:29:30 am
How much is Kentucky going to pay him?
They did not pay Archie, however his family members and adult friends are all driving new cars. I know the dealers.

Breems

Quote from: Blue35 on September 23, 2011, 04:10:07 pm
They did not pay Archie, however his family members and adult friends are all driving new cars. I know the dealers.

Spiill some beans then, man.

catfanNar

Quote from: Blue35 on September 23, 2011, 04:10:07 pm
Please give details! I'm sure the dealers have already reported this to the NCAA then.

whosyourdaddy

Arkansas has never had 4 players go in the first round at the same time !  Only 8 Arkansas players have been drafted in the first round in the last 60 plus years !  Stop making that kind of stuff up !

jamie72921

Quote from: whosyourdaddy on September 23, 2011, 06:18:57 pm
Arkansas has never had 4 players go in the first round at the same time !  Only 8 Arkansas players have been drafted in the first round in the last 60 plus years !  Stop making that kind of stuff up !

Sorry, it was only 3 with Butch Morris going early in the second round. Sue me.

Just think if they had gone to Kentucky where they would have been drafted.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: Brass Knob on September 21, 2011, 11:05:32 pm
You obviously; A.) do not keep up closely with basketball B.) are being purposefully dense C.) applying no logic to what you are saying or D.) all the above..

Let me start from the top.

Foreign players: They are playing in professional leagues that are better than any college conference in America. They are payed professionals and have agents that contact people. And to be perfectly honest most of them are first round picks because everyone is hoping to find the next Dirk (meaning they are willing to stretch on a player who they would not have if he played in America)...

Next. "They don't sit around and watch reruns of their games". There is really nothing to say here other than this is 100% wrong and laughable. You actually think GM's and owners just bring players in for one or two workouts and then invest millions in them without watching their actual in game performance?

Okay, now this is tough the part for most Hog fans... It is the 2011-2012 basketball season. Archie was around 1 or 2 years old when we won the national title and sent all of those guys to the NBA. Cal sent 4 in the first round two drafts ago.

Lastly, I agree that Cal and Kentucky are the hot trend amongst the elite high school prospects. I do not think that is even debatable. However, I have not once tried to sell Cal as "developing" their talent. Cal is a master marketer and promoter of Kentucky and the players that play for him. However, if you look at his past (before he started landing all the one and dones) he actually has several non-elite high school players who played under him for three or four years and got drafted.

You are the one trying to claim exposure has something to do with draft status.

Again, foreign players do play in competitive leagues but do so with basically ZERO exposure. Again you fail to show the connection here to your assertion.

Kanter is the perfect example of what I am saying is true. These kids get drafted on talent, not exposure or college system. Ironic that he would have signed with Kentucky but was ruled ineligible. Yet without playing a single game, he was the third overall pick. According to your "logic", this was because he signed with Kentucky.

As a matter of fact, there were 4 foreign players taken before even one Kentucky player was. It must have been all the exposure they receive in Slovenia.

And amazingly, the Kentucky one and done was the 4th rated recruit in his class BEFORE he ever met Calipari. Again, explain where playing for Kentucky = draft status instead of talent determining this?
Bless your heart

Biggus Piggus

"business decision" = Worldwide Wes told Archie he would be drafted higher if he went to Kentucky.

Worldwide Wes cares about his relationship with Calipari, not Goodwin.

Goodwin cannot dodge the fact that he is failing to join the turnaround of his homestate team. He joined the enemy, willingly, and for that he will be hated inside his home state for the rest of his life.

Good move, idiot.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 04, 2011, 12:34:29 pm
"business decision" = Worldwide Wes told Archie he would be drafted higher if he went to Kentucky.

Goodwin cannot dodge the fact that he is failing to join the turnaround of his homestate team. He joined the enemy, willingly, and for that he will be hated inside his home state for the rest of his life.

Good move, idiot.

EXACTLY.

HF#1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 04, 2011, 12:34:29 pm

Good move, idiot.

Well said BP.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin