Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

$3.5 Mil?

Started by jep_hog_fan, March 17, 2011, 07:20:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: RD on March 17, 2011, 08:44:38 pm
They will not let Petrino be underpaid vs the basketball coach. So end this Self dream.
Good lord, I wish I knew as much as you.
ched come back pls

passinghog

We don't have $3.5 mil to pay a basketball coach. period...no matter who it is. How did this thread make it to 2 pages? We can't pay a basketball coach $3.5 million, no matter what you want to think.

1highhog

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on March 17, 2011, 09:07:50 pm
To all you people saying they shouldn't pay a BB coach (Self is the only one) higher than Petrino, Self has a ring, Petrino doesn't. Even with that said, when you doling out that kind of bucks, what's another million to Petrino?

Football and Coach Petrino will continue to put butts in the seats, and I think soon we will see great things in the Football Teams future.  You speak of having a ring, Petrino going to one BCS game put more money in the UofA coffers than the BBall program could in an entire year,(slightly Exaggerating).  In the case of a Program like Kentucky, I would say, the Basketball Coach deserves to get paid more than the Football Coach, I mean, look at the results and the money brought in.  In the Hogs case, it's going to be different.  Petrino has started something that is still in it's infancy, but is going stronger by the year.  The stronger he makes it, the more money it rakes in, the more money we should pay him and his Coaches.

The same can be done with the BBall Coach, but like I said, even though they may reach great heights, unless Petrino leaves, then no Coach we now hire to run our Basketball Program should come in and make the same or more than Petrino.

Hogpkins

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 17, 2011, 08:41:04 pm
the question was asked by me, PA from Texarkana, today on the Shawn and Wally show whether or not the checkbook was going to be open for this hire.....I specifically asked that of Wally....Wally's reply was this.."Long cannot spend equal to or more than what the football coach is making"...then I replied, "you mean Jeff Long has the okay to spend 3.59 million per year on a coach" and Wally replied, "that's exactly what I'm saying"

Thank you for clarifying the actual question and correcting someone else's post, PA.  Your question was not specific to MA.  I'm sure you would agree that S&W don't talk out of their ass too often.  They never said UA was ready to spend that money on MA.

JONAS

Nobody is worth that much.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on March 17, 2011, 07:20:49 pm
Is that what Shawn and Wally said they were going to offer MA? I believe the exact phrase was within $100,000 of CBP. I'm sorry, he's not worth that. If you're throwing that much loot, throw it to Bill Self or even Pitino.

That would be a waste of money.  There aren't too many coaches worth that much.

31to6

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on March 17, 2011, 09:07:50 pm
To all you people saying they shouldn't pay a BB coach (Self is the only one) higher than Petrino, Self has a ring, Petrino doesn't. Even with that said, when you doling out that kind of bucks, what's another million to Petrino?
Look, this is easy. You sit CBP down and tell him that he wins an NC (or maybe another BCS win) and you'll bump is salary to parity.

It's good for Petrino if we get Bill Self because right now Football revenue is pretty much carrying the entire athletic program.

gumbohog

Guys
It sounds like the OP was slightly off when he suggested they would pay Mike $3.59M. Based on what iwasthere was saying from his phone call with Wally...Long has been authorized to spend that much but I think we all agree we wouldn't have to pay anyone that much from some of the names I've seen and Self, even if realistic (which sounds highly debatable) would likely cost more

Hou-Hog

Honestly I think that 2.5M is too much for Mike

SuperSid32

Quote from: Hou-Hog on March 17, 2011, 10:35:30 pm
Honestly I think that 2.5M is too much for Mike

Not a penny over 1.5

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RD on March 17, 2011, 08:35:08 pm
We're not going to make him higher paid than Bobby Petrino and THAT IS why he isn't coming to Arkansas. Point period end of statement. All discussions of Self can now end.
If you want a home run hire it will probably mean CBP will get a raise sooner than he was going to, maybe next year.  It will take 4 mill to get one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the game

bleedhogred

I think for that kind of money we should be getting Self....not likely....or pitino. Williams and Turgeon are probably more in line with what we will get and are probably great coaches. Mike Anderson like what he has done at other places, but not sure hes the man for us.
First rule in life....Trust no one but your mother and keep an eye on her!

OrvilleRedenporker

1.8 will get ma if the term is right

owl

We could get Pearl for $3600/yrand spend the extra on Bobby.He has earned it :razorback:
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 17, 2011, 07:43:18 pm
I guess it's a good thing that we're willing to open the checkbook, but that's a rich contract. I think Calipari is the highest paid coach in college basketball and I think he barely makes $4 million. I like Mike and despise Calipari, but Cal knows how to PAY Wes for recruits .
fify
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli